WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car shipping

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
How much to ship a car from CA to Boston?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Normal car, or whizbang car?
If you're dealing with normal stuff, it use to be about 1500$ from LA to NY. High dollar stuff was considerably more. Enclosed rigs and they carry fewer cars, thus, more money per car. Stay away from "U-Ship" and the like. Make sure they are licensed and insured.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Normal car, or whizbang car?
If you're dealing with normal stuff, it use to be about 1500$ from LA to NY. High dollar stuff was considerably more. Enclosed rigs and they carry fewer cars, thus, more money per car. Stay away from "U-Ship" and the like. Make sure they are licensed and insured.

It’s my 06 BMW that has 230,000 on it and I want to give it to my kid and his GF who live on the east coast.
It still looks and runs great but we’re getting a Tesla to replace it so I need to make room.
I sure don’t want to see some stranger driving it locally.
We had that car custom built in 05.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Make sure you get an enclosed trailer rig if you care about the car. Road damage from an open car hauler can mess up you vehicle.

We see about a thousand of the big covered car haulers here every fall (snowbird bringing in their cars) and in the spring (snow birds returning their cars) here in Palm Desert. Everything from Ferrari to Toyato, unloading them on the streets for weeks each season.

I don’t know the haulers but it would seem that in between “the seasons” they would be fairly cheap.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
If you have AAA call and ask for a referral... Stay away from open carriers, Your car will take a beating.

Howard23

Reaction score
No idea. Call my friend, Tim Weig at motoshippers.com

He has shipped a few cars for some board members
Tim @ Motorshippers is the guy to use for vehicles and motorcycles & more for sure!!! I have used him twice now in the past year shipping two custom classic's (66 Malibu & 78 C10) from Wa. State to Havasu. Great Guy and Great Service and Communication. A+

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Glad to hear he has treated you well. We worked together for a few years at Boeing in Long Beach. I know @Hallett Dave has also used him.

Tim @ Motorshippers is the guy to use for vehicles and motorcycles & more for sure!!! I have used him twice now in the past year shipping two custom classic's (66 Malibu & 78 C10) from Wa. State to Havasu. Great Guy and Great Service and Communication. A+

Bojingles

Reaction score
Won't be cheap - probably at least $1,000 just because of the distance. I know you said you emailed someone already but maybe contact a1autotransport.com and see what sort of rate they offer. I've only used them from CA to Denver before, but they were cheaper than most when I did (last year btw). As I recall their website has prices listed for quite a few shipping locations so you might be able to get a number without going through the whole price quote rigamarole. That said, California is pretty big and the cost may depend on where you're shipping from too so spending a couple minutes for an estimate might not be a bad idea.

BAS

Reaction score
I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but I am in the transport business. I wouldn’t ship any of my own stuff enclosed, unless it’s a garage queen. However, I would be concerned about its location on the trailer and weather on the route. I move new cars in the range of 75k and above all the time. However, I do turn down 100-500k cars open carry, because I don’t want the risk. Look at it this way, if you’re willing to drive the car, it’s really okay for open transport. It’s above the ground and riding on the trailer’s suspension and its own. Make sure they don’t use chain to frame or suspension as securement locations. Over the tires is the way to go. If anyone wants help with a move, I am happy to help them. My cell is (949) 697-4445.

And if you aren’t in a rush a lot of time I can get an enclosed shipment for close to open transport. Simple because they need to fill the spot.

gqchris

Reaction score
I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but I am in the transport business. I wouldn’t ship any of my own stuff enclosed, unless it’s a garage queen. However, I would be concerned about its location on the trailer and weather on the route. I move new cars in the range of 75k and above all the time. However, I do turn down 100-500k cars open carry, because I don’t want the risk. Look at it this way, if you’re willing to drive the car, it’s really okay for open transport. It’s above the ground and riding on the trailer’s suspension and its own. Make sure they don’t use chain to frame or suspension as securement locations. Over the tires is the way to go. If anyone wants help with a move, I am happy to help them. My cell is (949) 697-4445.

And if you aren’t in a rush a lot of time I can get an enclosed shipment for close to open transport. Simple because they need to fill the spot.

Great to have you as a contact here.

I had my garage queen shipped this summer. It was 2k, soft sided enclosed from Dallas to Huntington Beach. I was very happy with it. I wouldnt ship it open unless I knew the driver and the route like you mentioned.

I was skeptical about the soft sided at first, and @Jefftowz had a good point. He told me its easier for them to get out of the car when moving it compared to the traditional enclosed. And my driver confirmed that also when he arrived.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
A Conestoga trailer would be tits, price of open and security of enclosed.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Buy the kid a one ticket to you. Hand him the keys.... if he wants it. It'll cost you what its worth in fees.
Or better yet, you hop in it & go......
When a buddy's mom passed a few back. his brother wanted her car in Vegas. we're in Chicago. Flew in and left on Fri after work. He was back here sunday mid day. East coast add a day.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I have a buddy that may be able to do it for $1/mile. He's located in Havasu and a very solid guy.