WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Someone say monsoon?

2Driver

Reaction score
Not to be a dick here, but if you know a storm is coming, wouldn’t you pull your boat out of the water?

If you have the time.

These can pop up and form in 10 minutes out of nothing. It’s amazing to watch . You can go to dinner and all is fine and half way through dinner shit hits the fan

We've gone to bed with nothing anywhere in sight to be woken up at 1am with the roof sounding like it was peeling off.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Erinberg was closed this morning. Cops detoured us to 95 to quartzsite.
They say 17 power poles down.
Home now. Long drive

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
PM me Paul if you need a place to stay. My house in Havasu is empty and is Aussie Dog friendly. :p

Thank you. And the others who reached out. We took the kids (dogs) in the boat. Found a sandbar and set up day camp. I figured when we got home we’d deal with whatever we had to deal with. I pulled in the Keys and all the empty houses have their lights on. It was a pretty good feeling. I can’t believe how demoralizing not having water or ac is. It was pretty fucking depressing. We went about 20 hours Im guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've seen em come up in minutes...

From clear sky's to disaster in less than 5 minutes.

I trip out when I see people post how they love monsoon season. I just figure they've never had to deal with the cannage of a real one.

They can be deadly, and are dangerous as fuck.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

I love monsoon season from my air bnb house or hotel balcony in havasu while my boat is safely out of the water and covered nice n tight

I trip out when I see people post how they love monsoon season. I just figure they've never had to deal with the cannage of a real one.

77charger

Reaction score

We had one like that at powell clear all day real nice got back from long trip on water within 15 minutes breeze got stronger and about 15 more minutes it was howling out of no where gust reached 55mph according to rangers they said they had about 15-20 boats down and damage at marina to more boats.Was the worst one ive seen in 35 years of going there til this day.Normally you see an indication earlier in day but not with this one.

I changed my bilge pump before trip and used another hose that was there looked easier to route but i didnt see it had a check valve and i found out it was stuck closed or just blocked i thought i was going to lose my boat on shore eliminator 207 had waves crashing over the bow i finally said f it its not going down ran into it with a small bucket and tossing water out kept it up.But atleast my anchor held and i right then fixed the bilge pump hose

JD D05

Reaction score
We had one like that at powell clear all day real nice got back from long trip on water within 15 minutes breeze got stronger and about 15 more minutes it was howling out of no where gust reached 55mph according to rangers they said they had about 15-20 boats down and damage at marina to more boats.Was the worst one ive seen in 35 years of going there til this day.Normally you see an indication earlier in day but not with this one.

I changed my bilge pump before trip and used another hose that was there looked easier to route but i didnt see it had a check valve and i found out it was stuck closed or just blocked i thought i was going to lose my boat on shore eliminator 207 had waves crashing over the bow i finally said f it its not going down ran into it with a small bucket and tossing water out kept it up.But atleast my anchor held and i right then fixed the bilge pump hose

Damn man

River Runnin

Reaction score
Went out for a couple hours! ...Not as bad as I thought! Pumped 2 1" streams for just shy of a minute! Water was pretty trashy, and compared to Saturday! ......EMPTY!! :D

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Rio Del Colorado on the strip got hammered. 30 years never been in anything like that.
No water no power, lost part of our awning, boat took a hit, power pole broke in half and landed on the neighbors house.
Crazy night....

01F9F5A2-A636-43A7-80BD-F298F6FCF5B2.jpeg
29C940A7-11EC-4DA8-A58D-E5E0AF90296D.jpeg
723DC395-45B6-4F3F-8805-496EFAB46BBA.jpeg
5D2E3D06-5DBE-445C-97C9-5D8F43C706ED.jpeg
BE8CE564-1E75-439E-A358-F845A5867D92.jpeg
B02EA195-E40B-4F48-B8D9-120330C22E59.jpeg
7DFB6525-D25C-4E8F-AB66-FFAD8B406077.jpeg
0C00B7C8-AE49-439C-B395-9461F16A6C48.jpeg
EE579AC8-7228-4C5C-AC2E-47BD24DF2034.jpeg
E2B4898B-ACBB-491F-A20B-9933263EBF33.jpeg
BC074058-33E7-49F6-A19C-05EF88A1CA8F.jpeg

jadenchick

Reaction score
Can someone please post about damage in the Marina? We are out of the country and just heard about this. Thanks so much!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Rio Del Colorado on the strip got hammered. 30 years never been in anything like that.
No water no power, lost part of our awning, boat took a hit, power pole broke in half and landed on the neighbors house.
Crazy night....

View attachment 793927 View attachment 793928 View attachment 793929 View attachment 793930 View attachment 793931 View attachment 793932 View attachment 793933 View attachment 793934 View attachment 793935 View attachment 793936 View attachment 793937
Howd the boat fair, i love those brummetts!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Howd the boat fair, i love those brummetts!

All things considered we got lucky. A couple smaller scratch’s from the awing but considering what went on and what some of the boats at Havasu look like we are in good shape. We were trying to get the cover on the boat when the awning took off, ended up 6 trailers away.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Not going to lie, I feel like a punk after seeing everybody elses boats. I parked the formula on the side of the house and it caught the rain coming off the roof. I was grumbing about the rain water in my boat, I got lucky

River Runnin

Reaction score
Not going to lie, I feel like a punk after seeing everybody else's boats.

Kinda feel the same here! ..... Still a grand er so damage! ....Bumpers rubbed so much, I have three spots that polished to a mirror finish!
It might be a good time to polish it out and ceramic coat it!

c_land

Reaction score
This was Lost Lake this morning awnings torn loose and took out power lines, people checking out the damage and all of the sudden the wires go live again, scary shit!!!

Looks like a tornado hit that place

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My buddies place in Parker has lost the awnings twice in monsoons.

I've been caught in em in Mead and at Havasu. Have a scar in my shoulder due to the one at Havasu...

But they are So cool!!

:rolleyes:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've been in too many to count. This one was different, blew like crazy first and then somewhat of a soft rain for a few hours. I have to say the Marina at the Landing is pretty decent. The way it faces and is shaped the boats don't seem to get beat up. My boat was in our slip and I went down to check. All the boats in slips were doing fine. We had some people coming in from open water that were caught out in it. One couple was really shook up, but they both had life jackets on, and they made it into the marina and tied up with no damage.

gqchris

Reaction score
I have been caught in one, but nothing like that. Can you imagine if this had happened during the day with alot more folks on the water? Those videos looked crazy!

PlanB

Reaction score
Can someone please post about damage in the Marina? We are out of the country and just heard about this. Thanks so much!

The only damage I saw was a downed tree, downed fence, and one of the outer docks sustained some damage. I did not see any boats that sustained any significant damage.

HCP3

Reaction score
Anybody know what the wind speed was in Havasu?

I can only find historical data for Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport, CA.

Gusts to 54 MPH. Sustained 37 MPH.

FlatNv

Reaction score
All things considered we got lucky. A couple smaller scratch’s from the awing but considering what went on and what some of the boats at Havasu look like we are in good shape. We were trying to get the cover on the boat when the awning took off, ended up 6 trailers away.

Damn! knew we got hit, but that is crazy, glad nothing to serious for you, sucks about awning and boat but just things, (Im at the end on right looking toward storage from your deck)

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Not sure where this is, maybe on the California side?

Reaction score
I’ve been doing the Nautical for the last 50 years, first as a kid when I grew up in LH and now as a periodic guest. As previously stated, these monsoons pop-up, no-notice, often in the middle of the night. It seems like the worst storms originate from the ESE and the Nautical gets hammered. They used to have a sign posted in the check-in office, advising against leaving boats in the courtesy docks or on the unprotected beaches during monsoon season. I don’t remember seeing those signs when we checked in a few weeks ago. The Nautical cove is better protected, but I have seen a few boats get loose and ping-pong off the other boats in the cove. When I visit during the monsoon season, I always rent a slip at the Marina which is very well protected. I hope no one was hurt and everyone was properly insured.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I’m not sure they pop up without warning. I saw this one a hour early in the distance. Checked my radar and yeap..... monsoon on the way.
Watch the sky in July, August and September. You will have nature’s warning in the distance.
Also, at night when the lightning starts to look brown you need to hurry. That’s the dust coming before the storm

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I’m not sure they pop up without warning. I saw this one a hour early in the distance. Checked my radar and yeap..... monsoon on the way.
Watch the sky in July, August and September. You will have nature’s warning in the distance.
Also, at night when the lightning starts to look brown you need to hurry. That’s the dust coming before the storm

This. The warning signs are there if you aren't too drunk and careless to pay attention to them.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

Agreed, cool you have radar.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This. The warning signs are there if you aren't too drunk and careless to pay attention to them.

@Wheeler

I was probably 17 or 18...

This one time in Havasu, we were sitting on the beach at Crazy Horse just chiling (drinking). My friends dad (who was 100% american indian) yells at me and Keith to go get the boat outa the water...

We are like...WTF? How come??

Him: GET THE BOAT OUTA THE WATER...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

We jumped up and did what we were told. I took the trailer to the launch ramp and Keith jumped in the boat. Right at the time we got the boat on the trailer, the wind hit like a fucking fright train. I drove slowly back to the campsite (that was right on the beach), watching people panic to get to the launch ramp. It was a total disaster at the ramp now.

Got out my truck at the campsite, and didn't realize how strong the wind was, with the windows rolled up and and the AC on! Now shit is flying everywhere. I'm not even gonna try and open my truck back up, probably would have ripped the door outa my hands...

I dive under my truck and watch everything that wasnt bolted down, is flying by in front of eyes. It was nuts!!!!!! It was an absolute nightmare, in real life. Beach chairs, ice chests, tables, towels, you name it. Looked like a hurricane, but only going in one direction.

After awhile, when everything settles down, I crawl out from under my truck. As Im getting up, the edge of the bumper catches my shoulder and rips a nice hole in it. Doh! Keith's dad takes a look at it, and goes back in the trailer. Comes out with a bottle of Whisky and pours in right in the rip. FUCK!!!!!!!!! lol

He looks at it again, and says, you're fine. It healed, but left a nice scar. Chicks dig scars. Right?? :p:D

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
@Wheeler

I was probably 17 or 18...

This one time in Havasu, we were sitting on the beach at Crazy Horse just chiling (drinking). My friends dad (who was 100% american indian) yells at me and Keith to go get the boat outa the water...

We are like...WTF? How come??

Him: GET THE BOAT OUTA THE WATER...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

We jumped up and did what we were told. I took the trailer to the launch ramp and Keith jumped in the boat. Right at the time we got the boat on the trailer, the wind hit like a fucking fright train. I drove slowly back to the campsite (that was right on the beach), watching people panic to get to the launch ramp. It was a total disaster at the ramp now.

Got out my truck at the campsite, and didn't realize how strong the wind was, with the windows rolled up and and the AC on! Now shit is flying everywhere. I'm not even gonna try and open my truck back up, probably would have ripped the door outa my hands...

I dive under my truck and watch everything that wasnt bolted down, is flying by in front of eyes. It was nuts!!!!!! It was an absolute nightmare, in real life. Beach chairs, ice chests, tables, towels, you name it. Looked like a hurricane, but only going in one direction.

After awhile, when everything settles down, I crawl out from under my truck. As Im getting up, the edge of the bumper catches my shoulder and rips a nice hole in it. Doh! Keith's dad takes a look at it, and goes back in the trailer. Comes out with a bottle of Whisky and pours in right in the rip. FUCK!!!!!!!!! lol

He looks at it again, and says, you're fine. It healed, but left a nice scar. Chicks dig scars. Right?? :p:D

Even back in like 1926 when you were 17 or 18, your friend's dad was able to see it coming.

He didn't even have radar and smart phones like people have now. No 100% American Indian storm detecting skills necessary.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Down at Big River, I'm usually off the water and back up at the trailer working on dinner by the time they come through...but I can typically tell by the way the wind is blowing our trailer awning if it's coming...the struts have a certain "bang" to them that doesn't come with the normal breeze. With the exception of 2 times when I was wrong, I put the trailer awning down, shoved everything else inside, then ran down to the beach to drop that awning and within about 15 minutes it's blowing good.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
This is pretty similar to how one of my Uncles died. Electrocution after floods... Be careful out there
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the conduit, thought for sure he would have killed the juice to it before walking out there.

BONER

Reaction score
Damn! Place looks like Florida!

Sorry to all the Folks that endured damage to their Boats AND Property. Sucks.

Jetboatjosh

Reaction score
Crazy night....

View attachment 793927 View attachment 793928 View attachment 793929 View attachment 793930 View attachment 793931 View attachment 793932 View attachment 793933 View attachment 793934 View attachment 793935 View attachment 793936 View attachment 793937
I was at the rio as well it was a crazy night glad no one was in the trailer that got hit by the tree

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
My buddy is on his way out now. Tree took out his awning. Tommy going to be busy next few weeks with awnings from the storm.

rrrr

Reaction score
check out the live power line on the ground in the first video

https://www.instagram.com/p/B16zZ5vFnEP/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

This is pretty similar to how one of my Uncles died. Electrocution after floods... Be careful out there

I feel stupid sometimes because I'm always preaching about safety, but I can't pass up this one.

I want to warn everyone about the dangers of downed power lines, and how they can kill you even when they are obviously deenergized.

Utility lines are protected by circuit breakers, just like your home power is. The difference is that utility circuit breakers are electrically operated, most of the time by DC backed up by batteries.

When a line goes down and shorts to ground, it'll trip the breaker. The life threatening danger comes after that. The breaker will automatically reclose in an effort to clear the fault, if, for example, the wind has caused two conductors to touch each other. If they aren't touching when the breaker recloses, the power is restored.

There are situations where the automated system will attempt to reclose the breaker several times. If you are near the downed line, you can be killed when trees, cars, buildings, etc. touching the line are energized when the breaker recloses.

Other times the utility will respond to downed lines, repair them, sometimes taking hours, and radio the system operator to reenergize the line.

If the line is grounded somewhere else that they aren't aware of, downed lines that have been dead for hours can become live again. If the arcing current to ground doesn't exceed the breaker capacity, the line will continue to be energized, like the first video above shows.

Never, ever drive over or touch downed lines, and stay away from any structures near the lines. They can become energized at any time, even when they've been dead for extended periods.

Here's a video of a downed line being reenergized by an automatic recloser. Imagine if someone had wandered over to check out the downed trees.

Last edited: