Bahamas Islands are pretty much Destroyed

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that they will be destroyed for at least a decade. WOW:(

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Saw satellite of Grand Bahama before and after. It's gone.
I'm not a bucket list kind of guy. But going down there and chartering a boat was a life goal.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
There are sections of "land" that are literally gone, not just currently under water, but washed away and gone.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I’ve flown into Abaco, Bahamas in my friends Bonanza for dive trips. Such a beautiful place. I looks like its been leveled. This is how it used to look.

4FDAF71A-AE28-4CC0-92E2-8D78B45CC3AD.jpeg

rrrr

Reaction score
Helicopter video is almost unreal. GBI and Abaco have been destroyed.

rvrrun

Reaction score
The news just said that the airport on Grand is under six feet of water

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
  • Sad. My heart goes out to all those people who have lost everything. It will be a decade or more before it will be back to anything like what is was pre Dorian. We were going to confirm our Charter with MarineMax Vacations for next June this week too. Now we have to scramble to chose either the BVI or somewhere else now. Maybe Grendines or Tailand or ????

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Absolutely Horrible. I like watching a YouTube Channel Sailing La Vagabonde and they were just in the Abacos. Bucket list beautiful type place. So Tragic.

wet hull

Reaction score
We have a cruise to Bahamas and south Mexico Jan 4-11 2020. Going to be unreal to see the devastation

BasilHayden

Reaction score
just saw pics, flat unbelievable, whole areas are gone, of course its exaggerated as Don Henley said "dirty laundry". It seems unreal to believe that these islands could recover soon.
I offer prayers to those affected.

Backlash

Reaction score
Abaco and the surrounding cays were some of the most amazing places I've ever been. My wife and I made two trips there in the last two years and we love the place. My Grandmother is from Green Turtle Cay, so we have a little connection to the out islands. I'm scared for the people there and am wondering how long it will take to rebuild. That area and the locals survive solely on tourism and if there is nothing for tourists to see and do, there wont be any money coming in for folks to rebuild. It's going to take a long time for it to return to what we remember.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Abaco and the surrounding cays were some of the most amazing places I've ever been. My wife and I made two trips there in the last two years and we love the place. My Grandmother is from Green Turtle Cay, so we have a little connection to the out islands. I'm scared for the people there and am wondering how long it will take to rebuild. That area and the locals survive solely on tourism and if there is nothing for tourists to see and do, there wont be any money coming in for folks to rebuild. It's going to take a long time for it to return to what we remember.

I spent 2 weeks in the Abacos this summer. The pics of destruction from where I spent time are beyond belief. I met a GTC born and raised Bahamian that is one of the nicest people I've met. He's spent his entire life there, he guided me all over the area. I haven't been able to get a hold of him, worried but he's super tough and if anyone can keep him and his family safe its him. The Florida boating community is coming on strong and getting help to them soon. They need huge help. There's a few good organizations you can donate to. Center counsels only is one and Bethany Frankel is another. 100% of the proceeds from both are going to help. Frankel, what ever you fell about her, she's super solid on helping the Bahamas.

In the last 10 years I spent a fair amount of time in the islands. Some of the best times my family and I have had. Some of the people we've met have nothing but would give the shirt off there back, it really puts things into perspective. They had very little now a lot have nothing. sounds corny but there my people. Whatever I can do I'm doing.

Backlash

Reaction score
Eddie the Rock Pinder? He's a good dude and someone I may be related to if we trace our roots back far enough. He has the same last name as my Grandmother. There are organizations in Key West who are putting things together for GTC residents. Its neat to see folks come together in these times of need.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad to see. We have never been there but have always been told it is a must see destination. My thoughts and prayers are out to all those people affected by the hurricane.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
One can't really understand the power of a Cat 4/5 until they see the aftermath......Horrible damage.

beerrun

Reaction score
We have a cruise to Bahamas and south Mexico Jan 4-11 2020. Going to be unreal to see the devastation
The cruise line will not go there if it is all tore up. You will get an extra day at sea or an extra day on another island.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That sucks, we were just there.
I read 1/2 the homes are destroyed.

Paradise cove is probably trashed
9676060E-92E0-474B-8C76-35268628FDED.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Don't believe everything you see on the internet and news. Nassau is pretty much fine it looks like.

Grand bahama seems to be the only one that got hit super hard. F'd up for sure, but the Bahamas are spread out pretty far. Not all of it got destroyed. Shit, from the live webcam of Nassau doesn't look like there was any wind even!

Live web cam of Port of Nassau Harbor
https://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
Katrina hit in 2005, and the Gulf Coast is still working on repairs. Materials, supplies, and people can be driven to the Gulf Coast. Repairing an island nation could take decades.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Eddie the Rock Pinder? He's a good dude and someone I may be related to if we trace our roots back far enough. He has the same last name as my Grandmother. There are organizations in Key West who are putting things together for GTC residents. Its neat to see folks come together in these times of need.
Yes this is him, THE ROCK. I figured you know of him. I don't know if you've seen the vid of my trip floating around here, he's in it. Your a lucky man to have that family Blood. Love that guy. He has such a solid following I know what he needs he will get. I cant see going a year without seeing him, if there's gas for my boat and a place to stay at in GTC I'm still heading over next summer.

He got me to free dive for conks in about 30', put me on fish, saved me from a shark fight, made the best conk and lobster salad ever, he got me all dialed in to see everything good in the Abacos, and his stories of life were amazing. His golf cart he runs around kills me, looks like he's one of the head guys on the island. He's just an all around great person. I hope the best for hm and all affected, its only just started.

I had so much fun at Nippers, shame its gone. There pig roast was the bomb.

TripleB

Reaction score
Well our island Elbow Cay was a direct hit, our house is still standing, kinda

Damage can not be explained

Attachments

• 07698311-AE0D-4AFF-8537-62E886A6EF4F.jpeg
    07698311-AE0D-4AFF-8537-62E886A6EF4F.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 8E8C3205-8AAF-4250-953F-E90782321A92.jpeg
    8E8C3205-8AAF-4250-953F-E90782321A92.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 332

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm absolutely heartbroken for the people of the Abacos. We were there in July 2018 and stayed in the Sand Dollar condos in Treasure Cay. News, updates, and pictures have basically been non-existent until pretty much today and even now information is hard to come by due to damage to the communications infrastructure, lack of power, Etc.

So far, the word is that the amazing place where we stayed has been completely destroyed. Reports are saying that the ocean washed through the lower units (where we stayed) and the roof caved in and was blown away on the upper units. I've become friends with the woman that owns it, and I am just so sad for her. I am thankful that the gentleman who was our driver, Sidney, who was so kind and warm, much like all of the people there, has been found safe with his family according to reports on FB.

We rented a boat when we were there and visited Elbow Cay, Guana Cay, Green Turtle Cay, and a few other stops along the way. Almost all of the places we went to no longer exist. So hard to believe.

I feel like this is Ir-Maria in the BVI all over again and it truly makes my heart hurt. I feel like these islands are at a much larger disadvantage compared to the BVI simply because their government is so screwed up. Even in the best of times, they always struggled to even keep the power on consistently in the Abacos, and now this...

I pray for a swift recovery and for the amazing people of these islands to find the strength to overcome this horrible tragedy.

Some of my pictures from our incredible time there [emoji24]
screen_26a174688ba3f76e_1530963766000-01-01.jpg
20180712_112655.jpg
20180712_124753-01.jpg
20180706_161745%20(1).jpg
20180712_140936.jpg
20180707_135411.jpg
20180708_134306.jpg
20180708_135112.jpg
20180710_125701.jpg
20180709_121032.jpg
20180709_145401.jpg
Collage%202019-09-04%2016_16_01.jpg

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Well our island Elbow Cay was a direct hit, our house is still standing, kinda

Damage can not be explained

im really sorry triple b. I was so stoked for you when you picked that place up and i was excited to see the adventures. When i saw how bad the bahamas got hit you were the first person i thought of. Glad your safe. Shoot me a pm if you need help dealing with the mortgage company while dealing with everything else. I am sure there are a couple of other members who can lend a.hand on the insurance side.

E4L

Reaction score
I’ve flown into Abaco, Bahamas in my friends Bonanza for dive trips. Such a beautiful place. I looks like its been leveled. This is how it used to look.

View attachment 794256

The abacos was where I had the vacation of my life. The home owner did a fly over today the green roofs is their development and untouched
IMG_7406.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Yes this is him, THE ROCK. I figured you know of him. I don't know if you've seen the vid of my trip floating around here, he's in it. Your a lucky man to have that family Blood. Love that guy. He has such a solid following I know what he needs he will get. I cant see going a year without seeing him, if there's gas for my boat and a place to stay at in GTC I'm still heading over next summer.

He got me to free dive for conks in about 30', put me on fish, saved me from a shark fight, made the best conk and lobster salad ever, he got me all dialed in to see everything good in the Abacos, and his stories of life were amazing. His golf cart he runs around kills me, looks like he's one of the head guys on the island. He's just an all around great person. I hope the best for hm and all affected, its only just started.

I had so much fun at Nippers, shame its gone. There pig roast was the bomb.

Eddie is a great guy and good friend. We have/had a boat on GTC. Having a hard time grasping my boat and the island are destroyed. The boat was a family boat, 32’ twin outboard express style fishing/dive boat. Nothing fancy but a solid family SUV type of boat. We have 8 scuba tanks, free diving gear, and just about everything else you would need in the Bahamas to have a good time. Just spent 10 days there with a crew of 14 people. Some great memories were made. Sad thinking those days may be over. Not sure I can talk my brother and FIL into buying another boat and keeping it somewhere in the Bahamas. For the last 5 years we kept the boat in Ft Lauderdale and would cross over the Bahamas for each trip. We finally decided just to leave it on GTC to save us from having to cross over. That was Nov of last year. We got 3 trips in since we left it there. My wife has been crying for days about loosing the boat just because of the great memories.
My boat loss is nothing compared to the loss others have experience on the islands. It is absolutely devastating to think of how many homes and business were destroyed. Please keep them in your prayers! There are also several ways to donate if you feel so inclined to help rebuild a place that created awesome vacation memories for so many of you.

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
My FIL and his family lived in Nassau for roughly 5-6 years, he went through the last 3 Cat 5 Hurricanes on the island, he sent the family off the island for all 3 but stayed to secure his belongings (He is a former Green Beret) and then business moved them too West coast FL, we laughed because he left a hurricane riddled island and ended up on another spot that getting hit with Dorian (not really laughed but you know what I mean). They actually evacuated this time because they were a few blocks from the ocean and were supposed to get hit with another Cat 5..ended up only 2 miles inland and said it was nothing luckily nothing major was damaged...I feel bad for the poor folks on the islands, they have nothing to start with and the gov there is so CORRUPT they get rich and the average family that lives and works there live in almost poverty that Dorian will effect them for the rest of their lives. You could not pay me to live there after what my FIL filled me in on how that country works.

HAVASUSUN

Reaction score
Not to pour salt in your open wound, but where was your boat, in that boat yard ? A lot of those boats appeared to have sustained little damage.

No salt. Good question. My boat is in the photo. I have zoomed in and used a magnifying glass to see if I can get a damage assessment. No luck. The boat has a gps tracker on it. It started moving around 12:30 on Saturday and finally stopped at 5:30. It shipped around 30 yards towards the bay then back 30 yards towards the island. That freaked me out. Fiberglass does not do well banging on other boats.