WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Someone say monsoon?

4Waters

Reaction score

I feel stupid sometimes because I'm always preaching about safety, but I can't pass up this one.

I want to warn everyone about the dangers of downed power lines, and how they can kill you even when they are obviously deenergized.

Utility lines are protected by circuit breakers, just like your home power is. The difference is that utility circuit breakers are electrically operated, most of the time by DC backed up by batteries.

When a line goes down and shorts to ground, it'll trip the breaker. The life threatening danger comes after that. The breaker will automatically reclose in an effort to clear the fault, if, for example, the wind has caused two conductors to touch each other. If they aren't touching when the breaker recloses, the power is restored.

There are situations where the automated system will attempt to reclose the breaker several times. If you are near the downed line, you can be killed when trees, cars, buildings, etc. touching the line are energized when the breaker recloses.

Other times the utility will respond to downed lines, repair them, sometimes taking hours, and radio the system operator to reenergize the line.

If the line is grounded somewhere else that they aren't aware of, downed lines that have been dead for hours can become live again. If the arcing current to ground doesn't exceed the breaker capacity, the line will continue to be energized, like the first video above shows.

Never, ever drive over or touch downed lines, and stay away from any structures near the lines. They can become energized at any time, even when they've been dead for extended periods.

Here's a video of a downed line being reenergized by an automatic recloser...

We know grandpa. Roll eyes emoji LOL

Shit forgot we have that emoji :rolleyes::rolleyes: better

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did they find Rico?
I asked a few don't think anyone was looking yesterday and today. Buddy that got there today I will text see if he heard anything. One of the members here was involved with saving the dogs owner who was drowning. Thinking maybe there was no hope in finding him alive and they did not want to find him deceased.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score

I feel stupid sometimes because I'm always preaching about safety, but I can't pass up this one.

I want to warn everyone about the dangers of downed power lines, and how they can kill you even when they are obviously deenergized.

Utility lines are protected by circuit breakers, just like your home power is. The difference is that utility circuit breakers are electrically operated, most of the time by DC backed up by batteries.

When a line goes down and shorts to ground, it'll trip the breaker. The life threatening danger comes after that. The breaker will automatically reclose in an effort to clear the fault, if, for example, the wind has caused two conductors to touch each other. If they aren't touching when the breaker recloses, the power is restored.

There are situations where the automated system will attempt to reclose the breaker several times. If you are near the downed line, you can be killed when trees, cars, buildings, etc. touching the line are energized when the breaker recloses.

Other times the utility will respond to downed lines, repair them, sometimes taking hours, and radio the system operator to reenergize the line.

If the line is grounded somewhere else that they aren't aware of, downed lines that have been dead for hours can become live again. If the arcing current to ground doesn't exceed the breaker capacity, the line will continue to be energized, like the first video above shows.

Never, ever drive over or touch downed lines, and stay away from any structures near the lines. They can become energized at any time, even when they've been dead for extended periods.

Here's a video of a downed line being reenergized by an automatic recloser. Imagine if someone had wandered

Here's a video of a downed line being reenergized by an automatic recloser. Imagine if someone had wandered over to check out the downed trees.

Great information, this line came back live 11 hours after the damage! People checking it out, lines laying over cars, wet ground and puddles, lets get out of here. No body saw the danger or would listen!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Body found Fuck.
Screenshot_20190903-192850_Samsung Internet.jpg

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
This was Lost Lake this morning awnings torn loose and took out power lines, people checking out the damage and all of the sudden the wires go live again, scary shit!!!

Was everything good at your place?

We rode it out fine, just really dirty and wet! Our carport slabs are below the road grade and don't drain, we had standing water up to the skirting. I ran out in the initial wind to shut the garage door then again when the rain came, friends had left a stand up nose down in the front yard.

We're headed back down Saturday, toilets need flushing and we have no clue what lights may still be on lol. I was eating dinner at the time that the power went out.

Crazy night for sure!

jadenchick

Reaction score
The only damage I saw was a downed tree, downed fence, and one of the outer docks sustained some damage. I did not see any boats that sustained any significant damage.
Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated!

rrrr

Reaction score
Great information, this line came back live 11 hours after the damage! People checking it out, lines laying over cars, wet ground and puddles, lets get out of here. No body saw the danger or would listen!

There ya go, @4Waters. You don't get old by being stupid. :D

Sorry to hear about the doggie. That's rough.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
48E9750B-7441-4EAA-908F-A8262B318782.jpeg
2EAEE351-FA59-4703-9BC5-82C66C49EBAA.jpeg
78A0C3F6-AB6F-4778-B4C1-3BB822666B56.jpeg
BAF3460C-E372-4625-97BC-39F22AD22156.jpeg
Was everything good at your place?

We rode it out fine, just really dirty and wet! Our carport slabs are below the road grade and don't drain, we had standing water up to the skirting. I ran out in the initial wind to shut the garage door then again when the rain came, friends had left a stand up nose down in the front yard.

We're headed back down Saturday, toilets need flushing and we have no clue what lights may still be on lol. I was eating dinner at the time that the power went out.

Crazy night for sure!

Crazy is right that’s the wildest night I’ve seen on the lower River. We came through it OK, tree branches down on the Samurai dent in the hood, smaller ones on my Son’s car.
I pulled the pontoon out, so it was on the trailer out front, always pull it the night before we leave, lower River you never know what the water is going to be in the morning.
Had wind blown rain water coming in from the pop outs, bucket brigade took care of that. Cleared out the refrigerator didn’t have faith in the power would be back on anytime soon.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Even back in like 1826 when you were 17 or 18, your friend's dad was able to see it coming.

He didn't even have radar and smart phones like people have now. No 100% American Indian storm detecting skills necessary.

Fixed it for you.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Cleared out the refrigerator didn’t have faith in the power would be back on anytime soon.

We did the same. I had planned to enjoy monday but that didnt happen. Thankfully my ice maker was full and I had another cooler full of ice, everything made it home fine. Packing/cleaning up in that humidity was brutal! As long as power comes back on tomorrow we will finish cleaning on saturday, maybe run the 4X to the sandbar?

Pelon

Reaction score
Looks like the monsoon is going to return to Arizona over the next week!

5 day expected total rainfall

5 day precip 9 20.png