WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Drove a 2019 22' Bennington pontoon with a Merc 150

Andy B.

Reaction score
What a pig got it up to 31 5 people and one cooler thing turned like a tank and just plowed thru the water no thanks! The one thing nice was you could drink and smoke a cigar and it just barreled thru the wakes. If I have to spend over 200,00.00 to get to 65=70 i'll take my money to Nordic,Eliminator,Lavey,etc. and get a nice deck! It's hard for me to believe someone is seeing 45-50 in anything under 300-400 merc in a 27' toon. Apparently its not for me i'm glad I got to drive one and I'm not bashing,you guys have some bad ass toons but I couldn't justify the six six figures that's just me sorry if I offended anyone.......

No popcorn references fuckers like I said some people on here have some badass toons!:D

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I thought a 24/25 toon can be had for $40ish with a 150?

I think the new trend is to have a fun family boat and a pontoon. It's on my radar to get a toon this winter, but I'm focused on a 200 or 250 outboard.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
658CE4FF-633E-48E2-8017-677640A9D7C4.gif

Andy B.

Reaction score

I think the new trend is to have a fun family boat and a pontoon. It's on my radar to get a toon this winter, but I'm focused on a 200 or 250 outboard.

i was talking about the ones with lager motors 300-400 in the six figures.

Andy B.

Reaction score

Yep i'm old and never had kids it's just the two of us.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
We have a Q23 with a Verado 200 and it does just under 40. Nowhere near “performance boating” levels, but it shore is a nice relaxing family ride

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
22' with a 150 - what were you expecting ? I spent the weekend on my buddies Coach, which is a 23' with a Honda 250. Moves pretty good, can't say i'd want to go faster that what it did. Cruises nice at 35 with a load of gas, people and coolers. Probably can crack 40 loaded, but it's in "eco" mode cruising at 35 loaded and riding nice

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
My 27 has a 350 and gets right under 50 fully loaded with all options. For sale in the classifieds for 89k. Basically a brand new boat.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My 27 has a 350 and gets right under 50 fully loaded with all options. For sale in the classifieds for 89k. Basically a brand new boat.
What's next? I know you sold your 29' deck for the toon.

Andy B.

Reaction score
22' with a 150 - what were you expecting ? I spent the weekend on my buddies Coach, which is a 23' with a Honda 250. Moves pretty good, can't say i'd want to go faster that what it did. Cruises nice at 35 with a load of gas, people and coolers. Probably can crack 40 loaded, but it's in "eco" mode cruising at 35 loaded and riding nice

It was exactly as I was expecting my guess was 35 at least so I was close just not for me I did enjoy drinking my beer and smoking my cigar at full throttle though!!!!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
What's next? I know you sold your 29' deck for the toon.

Selling my havasu house also. Recently retired and want to take my family on a variety of local and overseas trips. Kids are old enough to appreciate and understand history now and want to give them the opportunity to visit different cultures and expand their knowledge while seeing the beauty around the world.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Here is my .02

Bennington makes a beautiful boat. The QX is very top level, luxury pontoon. It’s quality and warranty are the best that I know in the pontoon industry. To play the game at this level will cost several coins.

It was a very tough decision for me to face when I bought a Berkshire pontoon recently. The peeps that knew me several years ago knew there would be a new boat coming. None saw it as a pontoon. I had been talking about building a new 32’ Cobra Razor with twin merc power expecting to be a 115mph V bottom. Then the thought of a cat ran through my thick skull, what became reality was the cost of this new boat. I wasn’t going to settle for anything less than a bigger fast V-bottom, a sporty cat or even a deck boat running over 100mph. So, knowing these expectations I also knew the money it was going to take to build and maintain it (probably over $300k)
I began asking myself what or why do I feel that I need to have this expensive expectation that I can’t maintain. The real question was answered when I asked myself what I use the boat for the most. What would be different? Why not a pontoon [emoji102] ?

In short here is what I came up with.
Launch boat, put in slip so it’s ready when I want to use it, avoid launch lines on peak days and times, drive boat to hang out someplace with a nice view, maybe lunch or dinner, stop for a swim and a cold drink and return back to slip at end of day. Each day, without headaches was a good day.

Bottom line simplicity! I can do all that in the pontoon. Half the speed of my expectations and at half the price.

Pontoon life at 60mph is just fine, no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Here is my .02

Launch boat, put in slip so it’s ready when I want to use it, avoid launch lines on peak days and times, drive boat to hang out someplace with a nice view, maybe lunch or dinner, stop for a swim and a cold drink and return back to slip at end of day. Each day, without headaches was a good day.

Bottom line simplicity! I can do all that in the pontoon. Half the speed of my expectations and at half the price.

You did most of the above with your last Cobra and could have done it with another one!! LOL.

Ran down river Saturday with a 27? Pontoon with twin 400's I was doing 55 when he passed me, I caught him somewhere between 70 and 80, and was impressed with how the thing was taking boat wakes. Interesting enough, it had a hop to it just like a cat! I left him and ran up to 90 or so, and had to slow for some traffic. He passed us again, and breezed past the sandbar and was gone around Blakenship bend. There was light traffic, and it looked like it handled really well. Do I want one? Nope. Will I spend the day on a friends? Absolutely! LOL!!

PlanB

Reaction score
A 22' Bennington with a 150 will most likely not have the ESP (performance) toons. It was most likely also one of the lower models in the Bennington line. It will not drive the same as their performance oriented upper level toons. Our R25 with a 300 Verado will run 50 with a light load. Loaded down it's 44-47 depending on conditions. This past weekend we were able to head out late at still find a beach that a glass boat would have a hard time parking on. That, coupled with having it in the Marina on a lift ready to go all the time makes for an easy boating experience.

A performance boat and a toon is the perfect combo...

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
You did most of the above with your last Cobra and could have done it with another one!! LOL.

Ran down river Saturday with a 27? Pontoon with twin 400's I was doing 55 when he passed me, I caught him somewhere between 70 and 80, and was impressed with how the thing was taking boat wakes. Interesting enough, it had a hop to it just like a cat! I left him and ran up to 90 or so, and had to slow for some traffic. He passed us again, and breezed past the sandbar and was gone around Blakenship bend. There was light traffic, and it looked like it handled really well. Do I want one? Nope. Will I spend the day on a friends? Absolutely! LOL!!

[emoji848][emoji3]

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
[emoji848][emoji3]

I knew I'd get ya with that one. All I'm saying is different boats for different folks. I see the enticement of a nice quiet running boat with tons of room (since my boat has none!) I don't know if I buy into the "performance" part of a pontoon yet, but I am definitely intrigued by the "performance" outboard program!!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Friend lives on a LASO deputies paycheck and adopts severe special needs kids.
He recently bought a new Suntracker 24' with a Merc 150 w/trailer at Bass Pro for $30K end of summer sale. 1/3 that price is for the Merc 150 engine option.
They love it. Fits their needs fine. Their is a market for for low performance. Fish, tow kids on tubes, cruise.
FISHIN-BARGE-20-DLX_img178549_700.jpg

Google Images

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
Here is my .02

Bennington makes a beautiful boat. The QX is very top level, luxury pontoon. It’s quality and warranty are the best that I know in the pontoon industry. To play the game at this level will cost several coins.

It was a very tough decision for me to face when I bought a Berkshire pontoon recently. The peeps that knew me several years ago knew there would be a new boat coming. None saw it as a pontoon. I had been talking about building a new 32’ Cobra Razor with twin merc power expecting to be a 115mph V bottom. Then the thought of a cat ran through my thick skull, what became reality was the cost of this new boat. I wasn’t going to settle for anything less than a bigger fast V-bottom, a sporty cat or even a deck boat running over 100mph. So, knowing these expectations I also knew the money it was going to take to build and maintain it (probably over $300k)
I began asking myself what or why do I feel that I need to have this expensive expectation that I can’t maintain. The real question was answered when I asked myself what I use the boat for the most. What would be different? Why not a pontoon [emoji102] ?

This is the same conversation my wife and I had. It started as a used $20k pontoon to leave in the marina and be used by in-laws (so they don't have to launch) or us when we don't feel like getting the boat out. We started looking at them and before we knew it were shopping for $100k plus pontoons. A nice new pontoon meant getting rid of my boat so we had room in the garage. Now, the pontoon has to do all the things our current boat does like going fast and skiing. We test drove the one we wanted, but it was a step in the wrong direction. It was plenty fast for what we need and would have towed a tube just fine, but the wife loves wake boarding and it did that but not well. The toughest thing to get my head around is how a pontoon looks. People know my boat and come over (or stay away) because its recognizable. The pontoons we liked were very nice, but the looks never grabbed me and made me say "I have to have that". Pontoons are great, they do what they do exceptionally well, but fall short in a few areas.

I was half joking with my previous post, but still think life would be best with a used dock banger toon and a performance boat so you have choices.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Friend lives on a LASO deputies paycheck and adopts severe special needs kids.
He recently bought a new Suntracker 24' with a Merc 150 w/trailer at Bass Pro for $30K end of summer sale. 1/3 that price is for the Merc 150 engine option.
They love it. Fits their needs fine. Their is a market for for low performance. Fish, tow kids on tubes, cruise.
FISHIN-BARGE-20-DLX_img178549_700.jpg

Google Images
BTW, One of the kids Hogs sold for $7500 at the AV Fair.
That's not a bad price.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I knew I'd get ya with that one. All I'm saying is different boats for different folks. I see the enticement of a nice quiet running boat with tons of room (since my boat has none!) I don't know if I buy into the "performance" part of a pontoon yet, but I am definitely intrigued by the "performance" outboard program!!

nah, you didn't get me... I am in a good place, outside of spending a ton of money on a ton of recycled aluminum beer cans. You do bring up another very big point that is so nice when I'm running the boat at speed... I, yes the deaf guy can hear the music play over the engine running at over 6500rpm :)
As for "performance pontoons"... I think that will be argued for a long time, I don't consider mine to be "performance" level, I think manufacturers use that term to better describe the use of toons, their horsepower ratings, cones and size of tubes. The Trifecta Twins that Preston has been getting are exceptionally over the top (who isn't gonna like a toon with twin 450's?)
There is no mistake tho, I am super excited about the Mercury 400R! Its very quik, and DTS is very responsive. I look forward to its longevity!

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
You have a " performance" outboard

PlanB

Reaction score
The one with the white motors looks like the one moored at R dock in the Marina. Nice boat!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
On behalf of those of us with no outboard knowledge, thank you for posting the speed of a pontoon with a 150! Kind of wanted to know, but didn't want to get trashed for asking. I have no basis for comparison, but real world numbers help;)
What a pig got it up to 31 5 people and one cooler thing turned like a tank and just plowed thru the water no thanks! The one thing nice was you could drink and smoke a cigar and it just barreled thru the wakes. If I have to spend over 200,00.00 to get to 65=70 i'll take my money to Nordic,Eliminator,Lavey,etc. and get a nice deck! It's hard for me to believe someone is seeing 45-50 in anything under 300-400 merc in a 27' toon. Apparently its not for me i'm glad I got to drive one and I'm not bashing,you guys have some bad ass toons but I couldn't justify the six six figures that's just me sorry if I offended anyone.......

No popcorn references fuckers like I said some people on here have some badass toons!:D

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
The performance numbers on the 150 add up. Newer toons with added amenities loaded 30mph. My 32 loaded with a 2 stroke 140 that has 1000’s of hours is SoK 26mph. The new TriFectas are super slick but a ton of $ new. I use my toon as a utility boat so at this point a TriFecta would not meet my mission. They are really cool though.

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
nah, you didn't get me... I am in a good place, outside of spending a ton of money on a ton of recycled aluminum beer cans. You do bring up another very big point that is so nice when I'm running the boat at speed... I, yes the deaf guy can hear the music play over the engine running at over 6500rpm :)
As for "performance pontoons"... I think that will be argued for a long time, I don't consider mine to be "performance" level, I think manufacturers use that term to better describe the use of toons, their horsepower ratings, cones and size of tubes. The Trifecta Twins that Preston has been getting are exceptionally over the top (who isn't gonna like a toon with twin 450's?)
There is no mistake tho, I am super excited about the Mercury 400R! Its very quik, and DTS is very responsive. I look forward to its longevity!

It wasn't meant as a personal dig Cam, I just knew you would respond. We can argue the performance toon thing over a bottle of JACK anytime!!