WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bahamas Islands are pretty much Destroyed

Taboma

Reaction score
No salt. Good question. My boat is in the photo. I have zoomed in and used a magnifying glass to see if I can get a damage assessment. No luck. The boat has a gps tracker on it. It started moving around 12:30 on Saturday and finally stopped at 5:30. It shipped around 30 yards towards the bay then back 30 yards towards the island. That freaked me out. Fiberglass does not do well banging on other boats.

Oh I see, the way everything was stacked so orderly in the yard the image was deceptive as to what actually occurred. I spent some time on a motorsailer towing around a Boston Whaler, in the Bahamas way back in 68'. An absolutely amazing adventure, one I'll never forget. With so many RDPers vacationing there, I've sure wanted to return.
Really sorry about your boat and the frustration of being so far away. Where to even stay if you tried to return to access the damage in person ??
Best of luck sir !!!

2Driver

Reaction score
I'm absolutely heartbroken for the people of the Abacos. We were there in July 2018 and stayed in the Sand Dollar condos in Treasure Cay.........

I feel like this is Ir-Maria in the BVI all over again and it truly makes my heart hurt.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

You seeing a pattern of what happens after you go some where?

Where is your next trip? We should issue a warning now.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Caught the CEO of Carnival on CNBC this morn.
Yes, devastation, but alot untouhed or minimal damage fortunately. Paradise Island/Atlantis is fine. People o the beach tanning this morning. Most of Nassau OK.
Updates surely hourly now.
Still alot wiped out tho.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Trust me, it has crossed my mind more than once. [emoji53][emoji17]

Maybe I should visit Chappaqua, NY next? [emoji848]

Can you swing by the California capital and visit the state senate, representatives and Governor's Office? Thanks

Last edited:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
There's a lot of destruction but I wouldn't say it's going to take 10 years to rebuild.

Look at BVI. Some inmates went just a couple months ago and it was looking pretty damn good to me. Irma and Maria were 2 years ago.

I'm planning a trip in early July of 2020. So I'm watching this hurricane season pretty close.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There's a lot of destruction but I wouldn't say it's going to take 10 years to rebuild.

Look at BVI. Some inmates went just a couple months ago and it was looking pretty damn good to me. Irma and Maria were 2 years ago.

I'm planning a trip in early July of 2020. So I'm watching this hurricane season pretty close.
The parts you see will get attention first, the outlying areas will be slow.
Flew into Puerto Rico last year and you could still see the devastation clear as day. Could see as many blue tarps as there was solid roofs and several abandoned buildings. Tourist areas clean and operating.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
The parts you see will get attention first, the outlying areas will be slow.
Flew into Puerto Rico last year and you could still see the devastation clear as day. Could see as many blue tarps as there was solid roofs and several abandoned buildings. Tourist areas clean and operating.

Former co-worker started a rum distillery and bar/music venue in Puerto Rico. He said the corruption was insane. After the 2017 hurricanes, he had to pay bribes to get his own generators he shipped from CA out of customs. He talked about warehouses of supplies that never got put to use.

I guess we'll see how the Bahamas compares in ability to rebuild and fast track supplies.

mbrown2

Reaction score

Maybe not 10 years...but not as fast as BVI. BVI had the British Navy show up a week after and supplies started coming. I don't think the Bahamas will see the same government support. Even with BVI we visited a year after and most places to stay were not up and running and most restaurants were not up as well. Even today Saba rock is still under construction and Bitter End has no timetable. A year after it still looked like a war zone but we wanted to visit and give money to help. The Bahama's got wacked but it does not look like the direct hit that BVI faced...Road Town experienced 175mph sustained for 1hr with bursts of 225 mph.. That is the biggest port and such the damage was shown all across Tortola. Dorian hit Grand Bahama with sustained winds of 120mph....but Dorian sat in the Bahamas for a long time and did so much damage...slow moving storm.

I feel for the Bahamas. They did not have much and now have nothing. It is unfathomable to live in these sorts of conditions without water and power. The heat and humidity alone allows mold to wreak havoc. Any place you see in those pics with roof damage are literally uninhabitable. So much devastation, so sad.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sonofabitch. Just found these pics of the place where we stayed. First floor...

These are the most clear photos I've seen yet:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdiRJywHA7GANRiY7

[emoji17][emoji24]

Screenshot_20190905-154705_Facebook.jpg
Collage%202019-09-05%2015_45_04-01.jpg

Last edited:

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I dont know shit about this place. Can they even rebuild? Not like theres a bunch of big contractors there. Can they afford it?
Place is completely gone.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Like how long will it take to remove the debris? 15 years by boat?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Like how long will it take to remove the debris? 15 years by boat?
No need to. They need material to build up the large area that is now below water

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Bahamas official warns people to prepare for the 'unimaginable' as hurricane death toll rises to 3CNN
Updated 7:47 AM ET, Fri September 6, 2019

The number of fatalities is expected to climb as the extent of the damage becomes clear.

"Literally hundreds, up to thousands, of people are still missing," said Joy Jibrilu, director general of the country's tourism and aviation ministry.
Body bags, additional morticians and refrigerated coolers to store bodies are being transported to Abaco and other affected areas, Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands told Guardian Radio 96.9 FM. Four morticians in Abaco are embalming remains because officials have run out of coolers, he said.

190905190204-08-dorian-0905-great-abaco-island-exlarge-169.jpg

Rescue workers recover the body of a victim of Hurricane Dorian on Thursday in Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island.
"The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering," Sands said.
"Make no bones about it, the numbers will be far higher," he said. "It is going to be significantly higher than that. And it's just a matter of retrieving those bodies, making sure we understand how they died. It seems like we are splitting hairs, but not everyone who died, died in the storm."
Even with the grim update, there was some good news amid the desperate search for survivors.
The US Coast Guard said it had rescued 201 residents as of Thursday. Rescues have concentrated on Bahamas' northern islands as international teams sent small planes and helicopters to reach those stranded and feed the displaced.
190905100207-05-dorian-00905-exlarge-169.jpg

An aerial view Thursday shows damage caused by Hurricane Dorian on Great Abaco Island.
"Our emergent priority is to get the critically wounded out and help the government of the Bahamas get the infrastructure back up so it's safe, sanitary and livable -- at least on a temporary basis -- for those folks," said Capt. James Passarelli of the US Coast Guard.
A British naval vessel has joined the effort, distributing food and water, and clearing streets of debris, Bahamian Minister of National Security Marvin Dames said.
Dorian, the strongest hurricane ever to hit the Bahamas, wiped out whole neighborhoods, then lingered for days, pounding the same battered places again and again.
Though the storm targeted only a small section of the Bahamas -- a nation of more than 700 islands -- it still inflicted "generational devastation," Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said.
As authorities rushed to respond to the damage, they have come up against limited access to important resources.
The only international airport on the island of Grand Bahama was devastated and cannot serve as a staging ground for medical evacuations or emergency aid deliveries.
The runway was littered with debris. Inside the domestic terminal, the wreckage of a small passenger plane lay among the detritus.

Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 7.31.29 AM.png

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
8 Boats just left Port Everglades Full of Water Gastanks Generators and First Aid They should be there by 4;00EST
Alot of those guys are from Ft Myers and Cape Coral Teamed by a Dock Builder here in town...They Are All Armed Word has leaked out that Locals
Are Attacking Others and Its Pretty Fucked Up
They sent a camera Crew from the Ft myers NBC Station
They are to spend the night come back To Lauderdale in the Morning for another Load to go Back
In all total they say 30 Boats by Sunday Going Back and forth