WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OFFICIAL World Water Ski Racing Championships!!!

old rigger

Reaction score
Be cool if there's going be a live feed of the races.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
In 2017 it was on Facebook, don't know what platform the French are going to use. Keep watching this thread and Brian will update it with that info when he gets it.

Keymyster

Reaction score
Good luck Brian. Hope everyone has a safe trip over there.

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Wishing you and the team the best of luck. ✝️✝️

Enjoy your journey & spending time with your family . . . and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Lucky’s Wife”

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
In 2017 it was on Facebook, don't know what platform the French are going to use. Keep watching this thread and Brian will update it with that info when he gets it.

I believe it will be on there Facebook page for the event. Vichy, World Water Ski Racing Championships.
Once i find out i will post the link.

Only downside is the men’s race is at 4:00 pm each day we race so that’s midnight in Az and 1 am in California. :confused::cool:

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
I believe it will be on there Facebook page for the event. Vichy, World Water Ski Racing Championships.
Once i find out i will post the link.

Only downside is the men’s race is at 4:00 pm each day we race so that’s midnight in Az and 1 am in California. :confused::cool:

Cool thread Brian. So cool that you are getting this experience. My last two World Championship experiences were with a 10 month old kid, then 2 years later with an almost 3 year old and a 7 month old. So I can relate to what you are dealing with. I'm flying out today, see you soon.

It is 9 hours ahead in Vichy, France. So the Mens race at 4PM in France is 7AM back in CA. As Brian said, there will be a live stream on Facebook

skiracr

Reaction score
Cool thread Brian. So cool that you are getting this experience. My last two World Championship experiences were with a 10 month old kid, then 2 years later with an almost 3 year old and a 7 month old. So I can relate to what you are dealing with. I'm flying out today, see you soon.

It is 9 hours ahead in Vichy, France. So the Mens race at 4PM in France is 7AM back in CA. As Brian said, there will be a live stream on Facebook

Lol my math was way off.

Already, this has been such a great experience. Just getting to this point has been an awesome adventure. See you soon! I can't wait to see everyone here and have the Team complete!

skiracr

Reaction score
Had a great day today walking around town checking everything out. The city is awesome. Some quick observations. The streets are very clean and well kept, zero homeless, and everyone for the most part is really friendly.

They have these up around the city
KIMG0053.JPG

KIMG0054_01_BURST1000054_COVER.JPG

Very cool architecture
KIMG0038.JPG

KIMG0039.JPG

KIMG0040.JPG

Boats have arrived!!!
KIMG0057.JPG

KIMG0059.JPG

KIMG0060.JPG

KIMG0062.JPG

KIMG0064.JPG

KIMG0063.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
Lol my math was way off.

Already, this has been such a great experience. Just getting to this point has been an awesome adventure. See you soon! I can't wait to see everyone here and have the Team complete!

Is this event in Vichy strictly ski racing, or other venues, wakeboarding, slalom etc ? Seems I recall seeing videos of a race held a few years back with seawalls, same location ? That was some seriously rough washing machine like conditions.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Is this event in Vichy strictly ski racing, or other venues, wakeboarding, slalom etc ? Seems I recall seeing videos of a race held a few years back with seawalls, same location ? That was some seriously rough washing machine like conditions.

Just ski racing, no other disciplines. In 2009 the World Titles were held in Genk, Belgium, where they also race on canals. :confused:

Taboma

Reaction score
Just ski racing, no other disciplines. In 2009 the World Titles were held in Genk, Belgium, where they also race on canals. :confused:

10 years ago :eek: Scary as shit when 10 years starts feeling like a couple of years ago :eek: :(:(

Havazoo

Reaction score
Brian,
Been skiing since 7yrs old, just a few years, lol. What a dream to do this, wishing you all the success along the way.
Do well and Go USA.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Damn it's a good thing Bodhe looks like his mother!

Kick some ass Beeb's!!!

skiracr

Reaction score
Helplessness is a horrible feeling and I feel absolutely helpless right now. Everyone will be ok but fuck this sucks.
Just need to vent.

Our trip has derailed a bit, but hopefully we can get it back on track soon. The Samaniego family clan is sitting in the Vichy hospital. Everyone will be ok.

Rewind a day, our son started throwing up and has diarrhea. Ok, not the end of the world. Since he was born he had only spit up a couple times and threw up once. So this is a little out of the ordinary. Last night he got worse, along with my wife. She went downhill in a hurry. Needless to say, nobody slept. We tried to call a bunch of Dr's and no one could see us. Wife was doubled over in pain in the bathroom, son going through diaper after diaper, and throwing up. Had to make a decision so I called a taxi and hauled everyone off to the ER. With my background I know once kids get dehydrated it's hard to get them back with out IV fluids. Every time he took a sip of water it came out one end or the other.

Wife is still in the ER, by herself which is killing me, and I am in the pediatrics department with my son. She is doing better and taking fluids well.

Waiting for blood to come back on our son. He's doing little better.

They basically have a worse French version of gastro-something-itis. A virus similar to the Mexican Montezuma's revenge.

Shit like this is hard enough to deal with at home let alone thousands of miles away in a country where you don't speak thier language and they don't speak yours.

Just a helpless feeling when you know your loved ones are hurting and you can't do anything to help them.:(

Hopefully they get better soon and we can continue having a great trip!:cool:

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Dang, was enjoying the story & the pictures. Hate to hear this, but good for you not waiting to take them in. Not food poisoning?

Praying for their speedy recovery

Lucky’s Wife”

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Damn, very sorry to hear about this and hope they get on the mend quickly.

Boat211

Reaction score
Hang in there. Hopefully the doctors can get them healed up quickly. Try to figure out what to avoid to keep yourself healthy so you can take care of them.

skiracr

Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

We're back at the hotel, both are sleeping.

Went to the pharmacy and picked up all the prescriptions. They have pretty good health Care. With 7 prescriptions, I was prepared to take it deep. Let me say, their health is worth any amount regardless. The 7 Rx was only 35 Euro, I'm guessing probably would have been close to 300 in the U.S. without insurance. Didn't get charged a dime at the hospital.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be posting that everyone is on the mend!

Let's get this thread back on track with some good shit!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Glad the family is on the mend!

As for ski racing, hat's off to you! I haven't face planted on a ski in 20 years. I'm 42 now, maybe I'll try again. It's impressive to watch people who can ski gracefully at speeds faster than my boat is capable of. Be safe, have fun and win!

...and thanks for the pics;)

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
GREAT news!! Hopefully they are feeling well enough for you to get out & ski without worrying too much about them. Family first

RichL

Reaction score
Good to read they're feeling better. Take care of yourself too. Best wishes.

skiracr

Reaction score
Family update my wife and our some are on the mend for sure. Just some lingering symptoms.

It was my turn all night and this morning. Not cool. The most violent sick I've been in a long time. Fuck me.

Gotta go down to the ramp and pit area in a few. My day for a practice run. Nothing crazy, just going to get acquainted with the boat and driver.

After that is official sign in, along with the doping and drug testing.

Time to suck it up and put on my big boy pants!

montaj629

Reaction score
Family update my wife and our some are on the mend for sure. Just some lingering symptoms.

It was my turn all night and this morning. Not cool. The most violent sick I've been in a long time. Fuck me.

Gotta go down to the ramp and pit area in a few. My day for a practice run. Nothing crazy, just going to get acquainted with the boat and driver.

Stay hydrated man!

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I am happy your family is feeling better. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it.

You think you are gonna be in fight shape by the time the races come around?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

I sure hope whatever "bug" it is passes quickly for you. Go USA!!!!!!

skiracr

Reaction score
I am happy your family is feeling better. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it.

You think you are gonna be in fight shape by the time the races come around?

Our first race is Sunday, I should be ready. Mike took me out today, skied for about 25 minutes. I felt good but could tell I wasn't 100%. Our races will be an hour.

I have some good updates and pictures I will put up this evening when we get back from dinner.

skiracr

Reaction score
The pits are open!!! Most of the boats are in place with their respective countries. The US and Australia definitely have the biggest showing. The pits are interesting at this event, very secure. After today, no public traffic will be allowed in... Including family and friends. This part sucks, big time. Unless you have a pit pass, you're not getting in. There is tons of spectator viewing all along the canal.
Some from our pit.
KIMG0072.JPG

KIMG0073.JPG

KIMG0075.JPG

KIMG0077.JPG

Better pics to come. They have is packed in super tight. Just enough room to shimmy your way through.

The talk around the pits today was how the hell did we get River Dave's EZ Up in France, and how bad ass it is to have it here.
KIMG0079.JPG

KIMG0078.JPG

Just on the other side of the fence is where all our boats are. The RDP EZ Up had already been deemed the Teams meeting spot. Everyone is super stoked to have it there. This is where we will be having our lunches on race days and team briefings.

KIMG0080.JPG

Todd Haig and the Nordic Crew were putting in some test and tune time today.
Randy Davis driving with Andy Anderson observing. Dennis Hall who is Todd's primary observer had a slight accident and is not able to observe.
KIMG0087.JPG

KIMG0083.JPG

KIMG0088.JPG

Mr air chair, Brian Vesley is the observer for women's F2 skier Erica Leonard and men's F1 skier Dave Chandler. Craig Gregory pilots his 222 black and white Velocity. Brian is working diligently on Erica's skag. Removing some minor pitting and dings, finishing it up with a sharp edge.
KIMG0098.JPG

KIMG0097.JPG

Our little guy happy to be up and about feeling better
KIMG0100.JPG

KIMG0099.JPG

At the end of the day was equipment inspections, boat inspections and a team meeting. The judges check all the skier, observer, and driver gear for safety and fit.
KIMG0102.JPG

KIMG0103.JPG

All in all we had another memorable day. The family is feeling good, I feel a lot better, everyone is doing good!

Tomorrow we'll find out the plan for the parade through the city and opening ceremonies which should be pretty cool.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your back on track with the family. Good Good Good!!!! Go for the # 1!!!!

Boat211

Reaction score
Will Andy be filling in for Dennis the entire event or just today?

OHHH YAAA

Reaction score
Great thread! I am just curious, how did the inspectors like Chandlers Lifeline ski vest? I use the same one and I always get a weird look from Tim Dubois at the Catalina inspection. Also I was at work and decided to run the container number if the Hapag Lloyd container, and it loaded the ship at my terminal in Long Beach! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiracr

Reaction score
Had I known that was the setup I would have sent flag holders and big American flags to go with it!

EZUP looks good! Now all ya have to do is win, or die trying.. :D

RD

That would've been way cool. Nobody really knew what the set up was going to be or how we were all going to be staged.

Well, I thought I was going to die the other day but made it through that whole "event".

Win or swim, right!!!

Last edited:

skiracr

Reaction score
Great thread! I am just curious, how did the inspectors like Chandlers Lifeline ski vest? I use the same one and I always get a weird look from Tim Dubois at the Catalina inspection. Also I was at work and decided to run the container number if the Hapag Lloyd container, and it loaded the ship at my terminal in Long Beach! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first they kinda squabbled at it, but they signed off on it. After Catalina he sent it in to lifeline and had the extra buckles put on, a second strap, and had it recertified.

We had a few other minor glitches with the safety inspection and boat inspection but everything worked out.

They are super strict on everything safety over here, and follow the rules to the t.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your trip with us, way cool. Hope U & family are feeling better.

Boat211

Reaction score
Super stoked to see all this. Wish I was there.

skiracr

Reaction score
Another great day! My parents arrived and are now at the hotel with us! So happy they were able to be here and support our team.

Today was the official practice day and most of our team was able to get wet. Also got our starting order along with our flights. Let's just say the start is going to be an absolute shit show lol. 26 teams, 7 flights of 3 or 4 boats each, starting each flight every 15 seconds:confused::eek: I will be 2nd flight on the pole! I should have good water for about 100 yards lol. With about 8-10 boats out today the North turn area was 3-4' chop. This is going to be epic.

The pit area is really tight with a tiny launch ramp so all the boats are being craned in, which is pretty common over here.

KIMG0110.JPG

KIMG0112.JPG

Pretty sure this one isn't OSHA approved, slinging a boat over people...
KIMG0116.JPG

This was later this afternoon at the beer garden. Set up right behind the pits. Couple of our team members enjoying some adult beverages.

KIMG0121.JPG

KIMG0123.JPG

Letting my parents get settled, then off to dinner. A few other team members had good luck at a pizza joint down the road so we are eating there tonight. We're learning that we have to choose what and where we eat wisely. There has been quite a lot of people in the same boat we were in. I was told they don't use preservatives or anything in the food so it has a lot of bacteria in it :eek:

Thanks again for all the well wishes and PM's? Much appreciated!!!:cool: