WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So who was it??

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Friend of a friend just bought a used boat. When said friend went for a test drive, the seller told him this story...

The first buyer showed up, with a ice chest full of beer, to go for a demo/test ride.

Buyer 1 shares beer with the seller, and spends a lot of time out in the boat. (cool right?)

At the end of the day, with the boat on the dock, buyer 1 says...

Thanks man, but I'm not all that interested at the moment. See ya!

True story!!!!!!!!! lol

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Ha. That is the sellers fault not the buyer. No deposit or proof of funds and brought beer. Hell no.

DWC

Reaction score
Not me!
When we bought the Magic i drove up to Havasu first thing in the morning with Lurker Jim and another buddy. We met the guy at his house. He grabbed a cooler of beer and headed for the ramp. He drove to Pirates. I drove back and gave him the cash. Awesome day on the water.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Damn, now I see why so many people let a broker handle the sale. I would be pissed but what do you or can you do? Dude got a free river day. Pretty smart. At least he didn't bring the family, friends, dogs , ezup and Cheetos :D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
at the end of the day? how long did he need to make sure things were running fine? it doesnt take more than like 10 minutes to see that its not blowing holes in the side of the block and its not leaking. the rest of the stuff can be checked on the trailer in the driveway.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
at the end of the day? how long did he need to make sure things were running fine? it doesnt take more than like 10 minutes to see that its not blowing holes in the side of the block and its not leaking. the rest of the stuff can be checked on the trailer in the driveway.

I'll let @DWC field this question...

:cool:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Yeah 5 hours and a case of beer later...that’s on the seller.

It’s akin to buying a race car, but asking for a shakedown run at next week’s race.
“Nah, I didn’t win, so I won’t be buying your car”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I would never load up a cooler full of beer (or let a potential buyer bring one on board for that matter) for a water test. It is a business transaction not a party.

I will drink a beer with them after cash is in hand and titles are handed over though....

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Refundable deposits usually weed out the tire kickers who want to go for a “Test” ride. It’s hard for some people to say: Sorry Dude - No Beer on test rides until transaction is complete, then I’ll drink the shit outta your beer!!! :D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I am not doing more then starting it with out a deposit. Taking it out on the water, you need at least 10% refundable deposit. Even that is maybe 15 mins on the water and you are not going more then about 50 mph. Don't like it, there is another buyer out there.

DWC

Reaction score
I’ve only bought 3 boats but I’ve never given a deposit nor will i ever. Price is negotiated up front, cash in hand and it’ll always hit the water to make sure it runs as advertised. As for selling, I’ll let a broker handle it all day long. It’s not worth it to handle low ball/tire kickers.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Not in you guys league, but trying to sell an engine out of an Olds powered jet boat quite reasonably (freshly rebuilt, 2K), will really bring world record numbers of tire kickers out of the woods... "Come on over to the river, we'll put the boat on the river and I'll wring the motors neck. It isn't going to blow up.. Like it, we'll go right back to the shop and pull it out, pay me and you're gone".... Or, bring your boat with the bad motor in it and we'll pull it out and set this motor in. I'll take yours apart and see what credit I can give you and refund that amount later"...8-10 calls, including one guy from the South bay of LA that said he was leaving "right now, he had to have the engine, will be there in Bullhead in 4 or 5 hours with his truck"...No show...Another guy, "Hold the motor for me until Saturday, I'll be there early with cash", No show... I still have the motor in my "Test Sled" 74 Tahiti. Runs great, I've used it many times for sundown cruises to Davis Dam. And now the whole deal is for sale, 2 calls, no shows...
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I bought my little Rinker deck in Havasu. Widow had it, her son was selling. Got out there, and son had split with mom back to Ca. They called the neighbor, to unlock it and show me. He tossed me the keys, and said he'd just had surgery, but I could take it out:eek:
I launched it, took it out past the bouys and everything checked out. Brought it back, paid the neighbor, and headed out...About the weirdest vehicle dealing I've ever had.

As for the subject of the original post...at least he supplied the beer;)

PlanB

Reaction score
The last boat I sold was the only one I have ever water tested for someone. Launched, went for a run a round the island at about 115 Mph and headed back to the ramp. Buyer was satisfied. That's as much as a water test as I will ever give someone.

bocco

Reaction score
Me and the seller had pre agreed on a price, assuming it looked as good as it did in the pictures and ran good for a test run. It looked and ran great. It took me an hour to get back with a cashiers check and I was on my way.

Backlash

Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to point out every minor flaw in the boat and trailer, tell the seller he was an idiot and he was full of shit, then offer him half of the asking price because the boat needs a "Cut and buff." :rolleyes::D

Backlash

Reaction score
Let the records show I didn't drop any specific names here! :D

Taboma

Reaction score
Friend of a friend just bought a used boat. When said friend went for a test drive, the seller told him this story...

The first buyer showed up, with a ice chest full of beer, to go for a demo/test ride.

Buyer 1 shares beer with the seller, and spends a lot of time out in the boat. (cool right?)

At the end of the day, with the boat on the dock, buyer 1 says...

Thanks man, but I'm not all that interested at the moment. See ya!

True story!!!!!!!!! lol

On the Dock or back in or at the Dock ??? Notable difference and the cooler full-o-beer could explain it :eek: :mad:

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Who water tests a boat? I thought you buy them without ever even seeing them in person, and then get to act like its Christmas when you actually get to touch it for the first time? Maybe I am the only one who does this?

I bought my last boat that way. Sent 10% to hold it. Drove 15 hours. Hooked up to it, towed it back home 15 hours. Took it to the lake 4 days later. It was like the 12 days of Christmas for me.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have found that you can get more $$$ when you offer a test ride. None of my buyers have lived in Parker but once they confirm to meet me there for test drive they are serious and not kicking tires. In my ad always put launch ramp 100 yards away for test drive. Got 3 extra river trips in this summer with that method and every sale went through.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Sold my boat to a lady from Vegas. She wanted me to drive the boat over to lake Elsinore and test run it with her brother. I live in Chino about 50 miles away. I didnt want to do it since there was no reassurance that she would purchase the boat. Besides I had 2 other buyers interested one left a deposit the other was 1 week away from getting the funds. Guy with deposit pulled out and I didn’t want to wait for the other buyer. I risked it, I test ran it at Lake Elsinore her brother paid me full ask. However, I asked for $200 just to drop the boat in the water in case the sell fell through.