WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Battery Question

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Optima Red Top 34R - went to start Jeep yesterday, dash lights all came on but not enough juice to start it. Purchased new battery and had the old one tested. It lost about 15% charge overnight. I have a bunch of external lights I am about to hookup and was planning a second battery for them.

Could I potentially use this old battery with the thinking by the time I get to any trails it will be charged, and as long as the motor is running it will continue to charge and power lights?

...or stop being cheap and get a new battery for the lights?

Thanks

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
did the battery lose its charge sitting on the bench or in the car? sounds like you have a short somewhere. time to get the ampmeter out and see whats drawing power with the car off and killing your battery.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
did the battery lose its charge sitting on the bench or in the car?

Bench. Took to the auto parts store, they charged it yesterday, tested it this afternoon. - was at 85%. Did not surprise me too much. I have noticed the vehicle was just a bit sluggish starting the last month or so. It sat at Sky Harbor for 2 months, was completely dead when I returned to get it therefore I was thinking sitting there dead probably hindered its longevity.

Its not a safer then sorry thing, I put a new one it yesterday, it rarely gets driven so all we're talking about is running off-road lights

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Bench. Took to the auto parts store, they charged it yesterday, tested it this afternoon. - was at 85%. Did not surprise me too much. I have noticed the vehicle was just a bit sluggish starting the last month or so. It sat at Sky Harbor for 2 months, was completely dead when I returned to get it therefore I was thinking sitting there dead probably hindered its longevity.

Its not a safer then sorry thing, I put a new one it yesterday, it rarely gets driven so all we're talking about is running off-road lights

yeah I had a yellow top go bad on me. They do weird things for no reason when they start to go south. Warranty?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Optima Red Top 34R - went to start Jeep yesterday, dash lights all came on but not enough juice to start it. Purchased new battery and had the old one tested. It lost about 15% charge overnight. I have a bunch of external lights I am about to hookup and was planning a second battery for them.

Could I potentially use this old battery with the thinking by the time I get to any trails it will be charged, and as long as the motor is running it will continue to charge and power lights?

Thanks

Dont try to bring it back with your alternator.

Put it on a smart charger and see if it recovers - if not ditch it.

UD

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I won’t trust a 2 year old battery in the Arizona summer, outside.

As far as accessories lighting, I’d up grade the alternator.

Remember, dual batteries will drain on you, if not charging, by feeding off the weaker. You’ll have to isolate one electrically with s switch or relay.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Any battery is a consumable, replace it.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I got about 5 years out of it, was just a thought. Thanks for the input everyone.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Alternators never fully charge batteries - You can throw a smart charger on a car battery after an 8 hour highway trip and it will take current.

A battery that never gets full won't last as long that regularly does.

Having to deal with approximately 20 of them - throwing them away before they are actually bad isnt workable in the long term for me.

I spend money on very good chargers/maintainers and use them and and get long life out of batteries - I'm past 11 years on the odyssey in my titan.

UD

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
[QUOTE="SPYLIFE, post: 3459663, member: 21010"

Thanks[/QUOTE]

This Lol

PlanB

Reaction score
Odyssey! I run them in everything and I never have issues. The ones in the current boat are going on 5 years.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Deca and done. Buy a tender if it's going to sit for an extended period of time.

rrrr

Reaction score
Check out this open circuit voltage vs charge state chart.

That "85% charge" you've been told is almost certainly inaccurate. Lead acid batteries operate in a very narrow open circuit voltage range. If it's not showing a 100% charge after a proper bulk/float/topping charge, it's on it's way to the junk pile. If you don't have a bulk/float/topping charger and try to maintain it with a battery tender, it'll be toast long before its time.

Most people have no idea the charge state operates in the range below. A battery with a 12.2 volt open circuit voltage is only 50% charged.

12v-battery-state-of-charge.png

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
If you're adding load, you likely just need a larger alternator unless for some odd reason you plan on using all those lights with the vehicle off. Single new battery and a high amp alternator will solve your concerns. You may be able to have your stock alternator re-wound for more amps for the cost of the second battery.... I second the Odyssey comment. They've been great in my rigs.

Dana757

Reaction score
LED lights draw way less then the old skool lights. My Jeep is lit up like a football stadium and stock alternator keeps up just fine.

Your ad here

Reaction score
A bad battery will wipe out an alternator. I'm out a $300 DC Power alternator and had to by a Napa unit for $180 because I ignored a bad battery. Just get a new battery.