WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CPAP’s and Apnea

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Several years ago I tried to do a sleep study but it was in a hospital environment and I couldn’t sleep. It didn’t work.

A little over a year ago I did a sleep study at home, you out on a power ranger looking glove and attach a little monitor to your chest and sleep at home like you normally would. The test resulted in me being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I was ordered to use a CPAP.

After receiving my CPAP I used it for a couple weeks but couldn’t manage to keep it on for more than a couple hours. It was uncomfortable and I just couldn’t adjust to having a mask on my face while sleeping.

A couple weeks after getting my CPAP I had a massive sinus surgery. I wasn’t allowed to use the CPAP for two weeks after surgery, needless to say I didn’t go back to using the CPAP. FWIW- Sinus surgery saved my life but the recovery was the most excruciatingly painful thing I’ve ever been through, I wouldn’t wish that sort of pain on my worst enemy. The sinus surgery helped with the apnea so not using the CPAP wasn’t a huge deal.

For whatever reason my apnea has gotten severe again. I was falling asleep in the middle of the day and came close to dozing off a few times behind the wheel, my kids were in the car once when this happened and that was enough for me to go to the Dr.

My Dr. got me setup with a new mask fitting, the new mask is called a pillow and it only sits over my nose. They also got me a heated hose that creates warm humidity when you have the pillow on. The new setup works, I fall asleep fast and the best way I can describe the new setup is extremely pleasant.

The first night I used my new setup was a bit rough. The mask was easy to deal with but the headgear attached to it was still a bit of an adjustment. It’s now been a week and I’m sleeping a baby.

If you have apnea a CPAP will change your life. I wake up a completely different person now. I feel energized in the morning and couldn’t take a daytime nap if I tried. I can’t remember waking up feeling the way I do since my 20’s. After this week with the CPAP I can’t imagine my life without the thing going forward, it’s amazing.

If you snore you should do a sleep study. If it determines you have apnea you should get a CPAP and use it. The thing is seriously a life changer and according to my Dr. a life saver, apparently most people with severe apnea die of cardiac arrest at a relatively young age.

All that being said, who else has had a similar experience? What mask do you use? I’m using the pillow mask now but am curious about the nostril mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I sleep like crap without my CPA machine.

ssc

Reaction score
I was "sleeping" 10 hours and damn near falling asleep driving to my office. I was snoring so bad it kept everyone awake. A few years ago I did the sleep study and had apnea. Here is the machine I have. Actually have two. One for the riverside house and one for Havasu.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/re...j-IMLthlX3FYX3Oy7bS_oarrEadSBR8QaAkdeEALw_wcB
Great machine. It has the heated hose and automatically adjusts for humidity etc. I use the nasal pillows. very comfortable. I use the air fit P10 nasal pillows. It is a no brainer. I sleep great.

Cheers, Steve

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I was "sleeping" 10 hours and damn near falling asleep driving to my office. I was snoring so bad it kept everyone awake. A few years ago I did the sleep study and had apnea. Here is the machine I have. Actually have two. One for the riverside house and one for Havasu.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/re...j-IMLthlX3FYX3Oy7bS_oarrEadSBR8QaAkdeEALw_wcB
Great machine. It has the heated hose and automatically adjusts for humidity etc. I use the nasal pillows. very comfortable. I use the air fit P10 nasal pillows. It is a no brainer. I sleep great.

Cheers, Steve

That’s the machine I’m using and I use the same pillow. That heated hose thing was a game changer for sure.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I have the same setup as Boozer. I was snoring and waking up all night. I was so bad I had todo two sleep studies so they could get info. I ended up with pap machine. Wasn’t to bad getting use to it and it’s well worth it with no snoring and sleeping all night

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I have used one for about 10 years now. I do need to have a new sleep study though as my wife says I still snore somtimes with my CPAP now. I simply cannot sleep without it, almost like a teddy bear. It is nice how much smaller they are now although they never show the power brick that has to go with it. One must have travel accessory is a 3 way electrical receptacle for all the things that need to be plugged in now so you don't have to move hotel furniture (ew) to find another outlet near the bed.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I sleep like crap without my CPA machine.

If your CPA is keeping you up at night it sounds like you need a CPA. Shintoo or I can probably help you out with that.....

rrrr

Reaction score
I'm reading this ready to take a nap, and I have my nose pillows on and the pump is running. I literally can't sleep without my CPAP, the last study I had done they logged 58 incidents per hour.

I got the impetus to get a sleep study done when one of my racing buddies died in the middle of the night from a heart attack brought on by severe apnea. He was 42 and had a 6 year old daughter.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I have the same machine and same pillows. I am unable to use the face mask.

Cheers, Steve

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did, it took me about a month to get it dialed in with the mask I liked. I never go anywhere without it.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Several years ago I tried to do a sleep study but it was in a hospital environment and I couldn’t sleep. It didn’t work.

A little over a year ago I did a sleep study at home, you out on a power ranger looking glove and attach a little monitor to your chest and sleep at home like you normally would. The test resulted in me being diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I was ordered to use a CPAP.

After receiving my CPAP I used it for a couple weeks but couldn’t manage to keep it on for more than a couple hours. It was uncomfortable and I just couldn’t adjust to having a mask on my face while sleeping.

A couple weeks after getting my CPAP I had a massive sinus surgery. I wasn’t allowed to use the CPAP for two weeks after surgery, needless to say I didn’t go back to using the CPAP. FWIW- Sinus surgery saved my life but the recovery was the most excruciatingly painful thing I’ve ever been through, I wouldn’t wish that sort of pain on my worst enemy. The sinus surgery helped with the apnea so not using the CPAP wasn’t a huge deal.

For whatever reason my apnea has gotten severe again. I was falling asleep in the middle of the day and came close to dozing off a few times behind the wheel, my kids were in the car once when this happened and that was enough for me to go to the Dr.

My Dr. got me setup with a new mask fitting, the new mask is called a pillow and it only sits over my nose. They also got me a heated hose that creates warm humidity when you have the pillow on. The new setup works, I fall asleep fast and the best way I can describe the new setup is extremely pleasant.

The first night I used my new setup was a bit rough. The mask was easy to deal with but the headgear attached to it was still a bit of an adjustment. It’s now been a week and I’m sleeping a baby.

If you have apnea a CPAP will change your life. I wake up a completely different person now. I feel energized in the morning and couldn’t take a daytime nap if I tried. I can’t remember waking up feeling the way I do since my 20’s. After this week with the CPAP I can’t imagine my life without the thing going forward, it’s amazing.

If you snore you should do a sleep study. If it determines you have apnea you should get a CPAP and use it. The thing is seriously a life changer and according to my Dr. a life saver, apparently most people with severe apnea die of cardiac arrest at a relatively young age.

All that being said, who else has had a similar experience? What mask do you use? I’m using the pillow mask now but am curious about the nostril mask.

I am interested in the source of your at-home sleep study. I snore like a mo-fo (not weight related), and haven't woken up feeling rested for as long as I can remember in my teen & adult life (34 yrs old). I think I could benefit from a CPAP. In hindsight, would you do the sinus surgery again, or just go straight to the "pillow" device.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I've been on a cpap for a couple of months now and its the best thing ive ever done.

My experience this time was completely different from the ones ive done in the past with kaiser. Kaiser had me take this little machine home overnight to "monitor" my breathing. It was safe to say anything kaiser does is a joke considering they sent me home saying i didnt need one even after showing them endless videos of me having episodes that my girl recorded.

The only reason i considered testing again was because i noticed my episodes were getting progressively worse. I made an appointment with pacific pulmonary group in corona. If you have a shot at taking a sleep study at an actual location, do it. They wired me up with about a thousand sensors and monitored me all through the night. Mine didnt feel like a medical setting at all. If anything, their rooms were staged by the same people that stage model homes lol. They did tell me that theyd let me sleep through the night if they didnt notice anything out of the normal, but to not be alarmed if they woke me up in the middle of the night to put me on a cpap if they did. Sure enough, they woke me up about a fourth of the way in to put me on a machine and test different masks. They ended up giving me the resmed airsense with heated tube and f30 mask.

Ive been wanting to try that same nasal pillow im afraid the pressure im set at would just force my mouth open which would be pointless.

ssc

Reaction score
That’s the exact setup I’ve been looking at trying.

Does anyone have experience with this setup?

That is what I use. It has been great for me. In the past I had issues with a stuffy nose, but using the pillows clears it up. For me it has been a win/win situation.

Cheers, Steve

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
if your machines are anything like my Wifes, the data is recorded inside them. you can learn a lot by getting your machine interrogated at your doctors office.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I went through this when I got up to 220...doc said,... wear the mask...or loose some weight,... the same with diabetes,. .lost weight... no more apnea or diabetes … still have a touch of COPD....but apple cider vinegar will keep that in check also

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I am interested in the source of your at-home sleep study. I snore like a mo-fo (not weight related), and haven't woken up feeling rested for as long as I can remember in my teen & adult life (34 yrs old). I think I could benefit from a CPAP. In hindsight, would you do the sinus surgery again, or just go straight to the "pillow" device.

Mine was with Kaiser.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I went through this when I got up to 220...doc said,... wear the mask...or loose some weight,... the same with diabetes,. .lost weight... no more apnea or diabetes … still have a touch of COPD....but apple cider vinegar will keep that in check also

I wish I was that lucky. I dropped down to 180 (I’m 6’tall) and the snoring didn’t go away. I’m in the 200 range now and the wife says I snore the same either way. With my CPAP no snoring at all and I sleep through the night without tossing a bit.

CPAP’s are going to be the death of the ear plug industry.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I have a appointment if I ever get home to do this test I sleep like crap and if a mouse farts two blocks down I’m awake all night .

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I sleep an hour to two a night. I have severe apnea, and I have sleep aid medication. I cannot adapt to the mask, as with any one we have tried(nasal pillows, nose, full face) I wake up in a panic and rip the mask off if I can even fall asleep with it in the first place.

I recently went in for a trial of Provent (no hoses) and couldn’t adapt to that either. To say I’m desperate for sleep is an understatement.

I may consider that implant deal that you see the ads for on Facebook.

rrrr

Reaction score
That’s the exact setup I’ve been looking at trying.

Does anyone have experience with this setup?

It's what I use. If the nosepiece irritates your nostrils (they're kinda stuff when new) heat it in almost boiling water for 15 minutes. That'll soften it.

rrrr

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to try that same nasal pillow im afraid the pressure im set at would just force my mouth open which would be pointless.

I'm at 9" and sometimes my mouth was opening, so now I wear a chin strap. Don't even notice it anymore.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I also have and been using since they came out!....The SoClean!...

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I love my C-Pap, can't sleep without it.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
This is what happens with me with the mask. However, I don't have that issue with the nasal pillows.

I sleep an hour to two a night. I have severe apnea, and I have sleep aid medication. I cannot adapt to the mask, as with any one we have tried(nasal pillows, nose, full face) I wake up in a panic and rip the mask off if I can even fall asleep with it in the first place.

I recently went in for a trial of Provent (no hoses) and couldn’t adapt to that either. To say I’m desperate for sleep is an understatement.

I may consider that implant deal that you see the ads for on Facebook.

I use chap stick on my nose when the nose peices srarts to irritate my nostrils.

It's what I use. If the nosepiece irritates your nostrils (they're kinda stuff when new) heat it in almost boiling water for 15 minutes. That'll soften it.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Definately a game changer. Changed my life. Had it bad. Airfit F20 mask for me is the only thing that worked.