WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Has anyone else noticed their dollar isn't going as far these days?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just bought 2 805 Michiladas at the LA fair for only $32....

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
When a beer is $7 a pint and simple glass of wine is 1.5x to 2x of that, even at a middle of road restaurant, the tab gets high quick. Add cost of inputs and high wages, eating out is expensive. Hell, it’s $40 for a family of 4 to eat combo meals at Carl’s Jr.

Some cities and counties already went to $15/hr minimum wage. Santa Clara County is one. It shows too. Grab a slice and of pizza, salad ($10), the restaurant tacks on $2.25 wage surcharge. A brew pub will tack on ~$2 on a $30 tab.

I believe exempt employees in CA also have a minimum wage of near $50k. Certain tech jobs are minimum $80k.

Groceries I think has a lot to do with the input costs, higher costs of transportation, plus wages, healthcare, etc.

It all adds up.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Here in Colorado we can’t become California fast enough. If you make less than $80K you’re living in poverty. I currently have a house in a “working class” neighborhood that I could sell tomorrow for half a mill. We want to move out of this neighborhood but everything that meets our criteria is $1M+. We’ll wait for the correction..

Our taxes here are low, minimum wage went up to $12 an hour but as a business owner I can tell you that’s not the biggest driver of cost. Liberal puked are throwing money around like it’s goin out of style and while the minimum wage is $12 an hour you won’t hire anyone for that wage unless they’re 16 or undocumented.

On the flip side we were planning to drive to Vegas this morning. Last night I scored us flights for $80 a person round trip and a rental car for $20 a day. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten flights that cheap. Shits expensive but not all of it, you just have to find the deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
A0DA1075-1D6C-4CC3-9C3A-6FBE155D6BAF.jpeg

Here’s a tale of three Jersey Mike’s Sub receipts. This was April to June 2018; Plano, Tx, Salt Lake City, UT, and Mountain View, CA. Same items, same tip %. Salt Lake is 6% higher than TX, and Mtn View is 22% higher than TX. The #7 sub in Louisville, CO in May 2019 was $7.99; right in between TX and UT.

RCDave

Reaction score
All Fiat currencies fail. One day it will be the dollar's turn.

It's not a left vs right thing, it's a government thing in general. Governments can't create prosperity.
This....the US government abuse of fiscal policy, social programs, and massive deficit spending will end in tragedy. It only a matter of time

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Of course, I've noticed.

California is becoming like Europe from a cost of living standpoint.

Problem is there is no end in site to the cost spiral, all that regulation combined with social thrift ends up right on bill.

you arent actually surprised by this are you?

UD

It’s Trumps fault CA wants to be like Europe UD.

RCDave

Reaction score
It's not LOF. But Trump is not helping with Trillion dollar annual budget deficits.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I travel a little bit for work and always notice how cheaper it is to eat out in other states vs ca.

OP, just travel past AZ and you can see for yourself.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've got news for you.....it's not just California. I spent last weekend in Nevada and felt like I got raped twice as hard as CA.
Actually, since moving out of CA I’ve noticed my dollar going noticeably further.
Especially at the gas pump.
This is what I was gonna say. I was really surprised how many products were substantially cheaper in the grocery stores when we visited Tucson back in April as well as the $1.50 less a gallon for gas.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

warlock250

Reaction score
The government likes higher minimum wages to as they collect more in payroll tax to. California has crazy fees for business through the different cities also. It's insane. Somebody (consumer) gets to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
All Fiat currencies fail. One day it will be the dollar's turn.

It's not a left vs right thing, it's a government thing in general. Governments can't create prosperity.

California is suffering regulatory and social cost explosion that works its way through the entire service chain.

What solution would you propose vs Fiat currency?

UD

Carrera205

Reaction score
If we go out and get what we want its around 100 bucks which is crazy I think. That's 1 or 2 drinks, an appetizer, two entrees. now if we decide to go out to eat we go to Mexican so our appetizer is chips n salsa get waters and ala cart food. Or we split something and we can get out under 30 bucks. Going to restaurants is the biggest waste of money..

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
It just seems lately at the grocery store and going out to eat our dollar is not going as far as it used to. I go to the grocery store every day and it was very rare that I would drop $200+ at the store but now it is happening a couple times a week. Not to mention eating out....If we get out of a place for under a $120 we're happy.

Am I the only one?

My dollar is definitely not going as far as I used to. And apparently the thief that has siphon my gas twice this week out of my work truck feel the same way

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This is what I was gonna say. I was really surprised how many products were substantially cheaper in the grocery stores when we visited Tucson back in April as well as the $1.50 less a gallon for gas.

Tucson is cheap no doubt.
When I worked there a couple summers ago I thought the gas pump was set wrong.

It was almost half as much to fill my Cummins I owned then.

When I went to lunch in Vacaville a couple beers and burger at say Applebee’s or Rock and Brew was $40 with tip pretty easy.
Even in Havasu it’s cheaper overall at say Red Robin.

But the savings on fuel is by far the kicker.
2 tanks of gas in AZ saves more than enough to pay for a lunch or dinner out as compared to CA.

Filling up the Camry is painless,
It was as much as $60- $70 in CA.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Tucson is cheap no doubt.
When I worked there a couple summers ago I thought the gas pump was set wrong.

It was almost half as much to fill my Cummins I owned then.

When I went to lunch in Vacaville a couple beers and burger at say Applebee’s or Rock and Brew was $40 with tip pretty easy.
Even in Havasu it’s cheaper overall at say Red Robin.

But the savings on fuel is by far the kicker.
2 tanks of gas in AZ saves more than enough to pay for a lunch or dinner out as compared to CA.

Filling up the Camry is painless,
It was as much as $60- $70 in CA.
Yeah, it's awesome! No more swilling twice to fill the truck or the Yukon. Shit, even my work van with a 30 gallon tank is less than $80.

TexasJet

Reaction score
It may have something to do with where you live and the restaurants you choose. The big markup is in alcohol. I live in a small rural area and payed $1.99.9 for regular gas with my 3 cent Kroger discount. The four of us can eat dinner for anywhere between $75 and $150 everywhere we go. We eat mostly at locally owned places, not chain type.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Its worse here in Canada. I save 30% to 40% on groceries by shopping in Lynden WA. Gas is expensive here, so I save another 30% there. Restaurants though in the USA is more expensive when I factor in the exchange.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Its worse here in Canada. I save 30% to 40% on groceries by shopping in Lynden WA. Gas is expensive here, so I save another 30% there. Restaurants though in the USA is more expensive when I factor in the exchange.
Can you stop for a steak at the Keg and maybe some nine pin on the way home before the groceries spoil?:p

Last edited:

thetub

Reaction score
ahhhh Granolla you talking about Lake Tahoe as yore Nevada comparison??

hahahah what a joke...

thanks to liberal pukes like you :D its jr. San Francisco now with all them moving there...

its the most expensive place now...

heck they call Incline Village "Income Village" now

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
ahhhh Granolla you talking about Lake Tahoe as yore Nevada comparison??

hahahah what a joke...

thanks to liberal pukes like you :D its jr. San Francisco now with all them moving there...

its the most expensive place now...

heck they call Incline Village "Income Village" now

No shit!

Having been through Elko and Winnemuca many times I’ll guarantee you that it’s WAY cheaper to eat and drive in Nevada than CA!