WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trim Tabs - I'm going to buy them. Who should I have install them?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Done! Bob and team at Marine Industries West did a great job on my install.

I was doing a systems check at home and noticed my volt gauge wasn’t working so I got a little annoyed. Got the volt meter out and my batteries are both toast. I put my jump box on the boat, voltmeter works fine.

I’ll be grabbing a couple new batteries on my way into town this afternoon. I had been suspecting they were on their way out this season.

View attachment 795204 View attachment 795205 View attachment 795206
what do you need a volt meter for???? if you turn the key and nothing happens,... battery's dead...might as well ditch the fuel gauge also... ... when it quits running it's out of gas...but, always put speakers on the roll bar to mach sure every one knows what kind of music you like...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
what do you need a volt meter for???? if you turn the key and nothing happens,... battery's dead...might as well ditch the fuel gauge also... ... when it quits running it's out of gas...but, always put speakers on the roll bar to mach sure every one knows what kind of music you like...

Turned the key and the boat turned on.. It just had 10 volts. Probably would have started and ran on the water too. Batteries are 5 years old

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's what happens when you have one tab stuck down and hit a roller...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Had indicators for 20+ years. Ditched them a few years ago and I haven’t missed them.

In a 21ft outboard you’re constantly adjusting for speed, water conditions & 6 people moving around to grab beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you mean they broke and you were too cheep to fix them? or they were working fine and you had nothing better to do so you took them out???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
All my boats with tabs I check to see where they are flat with the bottom...at that point they still cause stern lift...and at that point you can figure out where they work best at different speeds... moving them up and down cause's them to get out of sync to where you have to adjust one side alittle...but,... like I said.... if you don't know how to use tabs, you for sure won't need to know where they are at...pretty sure performance boats use mechanical indicaters to spend more money on the build

Andy B.

Reaction score
Done! Bob and team at Marine Industries West did a great job on my install.

I was doing a systems check at home and noticed my volt gauge wasn’t working so I got a little annoyed. Got the volt meter out and my batteries are both toast. I put my jump box on the boat, voltmeter works fine.

I’ll be grabbing a couple new batteries on my way into town this afternoon. I had been suspecting they were on their way out this season.

View attachment 795204 View attachment 795205 View attachment 795206

Nice!!!! you'll never regret the purchase enjoy the lake!!

Andy B.

Reaction score
On our Hallett the indicators are very important. At the speeds the boat runs if I am running over 80 I need to know exactly where they are set up as the boat would be really scary if the tabs are up too much or not at the same height.

On a bigger hull at slower speeds used for load or comfort I don't think it would be as important.

I wish I had your problem!:)

Andy B.

Reaction score
All my boats with tabs I check to see where they are flat with the bottom...at that point they still cause stern lift...and at that point you can figure out where they work best at different speeds... moving them up and down cause's them to get out of sync to where you have to adjust one side alittle...but,... like I said.... if you don't know how to use tabs, you for sure won't need to know where they are at...pretty sure performance boats use mechanical indicaters to spend more money on the build

Come on Steve you can tell where there at by how the boat sits and acting and you know the sweet spots you can't tell me that you are looking at those indicators all the time but then again I never had a boat that goes fast enough like Cole Trickle. I definitely don't know as much as Steve knows about boats so I would listen to him but he does seem a little cranky today,:D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
do you know how to use tabs... and know what they do?

Yes and yes. I’m not going to hook my boat and die from one tab being an inch and a half below the running surface at speed

If something in the tab system fails at speed I’ll be driving the boat, not looking at tab indicators.

If I need to change the attitude of the bow at speed I’ll use the tab buttons. The indicators tell me where the tabs are, not how to drive the boat.

240Hallett

Reaction score
I might have passed these alleged tabs on the way out today...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
what do you need a volt meter for????

its nice to see 14v when the motor starts to know the alternator is working... you know before you head off to the middle of the lake and the battery goes dead.

yet you want a gauge so you can see if your tabs are at 1* or 2*... /facepalm

Singleton

Reaction score
Turned the key and the boat turned on.. It just had 10 volts. Probably would have started and ran on the water too. Batteries are 5 years old

Batteries got run down testing tabs. Those are a huge battery suck when moving and engine not running. I never touch the tabs or electronic windscreens without the engine running.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
On our Hallett the indicators are very important. At the speeds the boat runs if I am running over 80 I need to know exactly where they are set up as the boat would be really scary if the tabs are up too much or not at the same height.

On a bigger hull at slower speeds used for load or comfort I don't think it would be as important.
great post, could you imagine running across the lake at speed wondering if the tabs were level or not...that and knowing where to set them to begin with...which your not gonna know with out indicators...to get the full benefit out of tabs you need all the parts is what i'm say'n

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
its nice to see 14v when the motor starts to know the alternator is working... you know before you head off to the middle of the lake and the battery goes dead.

yet you want a gauge so you can see if your tabs are at 1* or 2*... /facepalm
pretty sure you missed the point....gauges,... we don't need no stinking gauges..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Batteries got run down testing tabs. Those are a huge battery suck when moving and engine not running. I never touch the tabs or electronic windscreens without the engine running.

Yea, with how old they are, I think I will just replace them.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Got some new batteries, ready to go now!

I found one screw up, they didn’t hook the rear speaker in my side panel back up. If I had a speaker indicators I would have known that immediately, but I don’t have those either. :)

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
great post, could you imagine running across the lake at speed wondering if the tabs were level or not...that and knowing where to set them to begin with...which your not gonna know with out indicators...to get the full benefit out of tabs you need all the parts is what i'm say'n

That’s fair, I’m not saying they don’t have a use. I’m saying I don’t see the value in spending the extra cash for indicators.

For what it’s worth, I don’t even need my trim gauge to drive my boat anymore.

I’m adjusting trim and tabs at speed to get the best subjective ride... that is it. It would help to have the indicators as a reference, but I will figure it out over time with no issue.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
That’s fair, I’m not saying they don’t have a use. I’m saying I don’t see the value in spending the extra cash for indicators.

For what it’s worth, I don’t even need my trim gauge to drive my boat anymore.

I’m adjusting trim and tabs at speed to get the best subjective ride... that is it. It would help to have the indicators as a reference, but I will figure it out over time with no issue.
I GUESS THE "why" WENT OF IN A DIFFERANT DIRRECTION....So I will ask the question in a different way....to put indicators on while doing the install, I believe is pennys on the dollar....you're already in there pulling wires..you have the boat apart, and cutting one more hole would be pretty simple...but adding the indicators now is dollars on the penny's...

so here's the question...… how much more did they want to do it all right??? you know .. with all the parts that go to the tab kit.....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
kinda like this to me....hey buddy,... do want Schrader valves in these valve stims???? nahh...I've never had to add air to tires, besides I can feel the tire is going flat when I'm driving...:D

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Pretty much gonna add this....the only time I ever see tabs without indicators, the boat owner added the tabs.....my wife has driven quiet a few boat,.. twin turbo v-drive schiada's, Halletts of all size's 21' trick with a 300 merc out board..being able to tell her where to set suff to be safe is nice...but I guess I could just tell her drive it, and tell me how your ass feels...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
these are bad ass.... had them on my force, but it was a "HI" performance boat.....:D but damn..270 bucks.... fuc that...

productimage1_893.gif

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
do you know how to run tabs and trim in ruff water'''

I know what to do yes. I don’t yet know where the boat will like it’s trim and tab yet.

To this point I can run the boat with more positive trim in some chop and use the tabs to control the bow/ride.

At this point I’m just trying tabs full up and tabs full down at varying trim positions to get a feel for it.

Before you ask, I timed the tab up and down travel so I know if they are full up or full down. As soon as the tabs go below the running surface I can feel the difference anyway.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I know what to do yes. I don’t yet know where the boat will like it’s trim and tab yet.

To this point I can run the boat with more positive trim in some chop and use the tabs to control the bow/ride.

At this point I’m just trying tabs full up and tabs full down at varying trim positions to get a feel for it.

Before you ask, I timed the tab up and down travel so I know if they are full up or full down. As soon as the tabs go below the running surface I can feel the difference anyway.
I think with the tabs you chose, the only way they offer is mech. indicators... pretty big over kill for a 60 mph boat....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
these are bad ass.... had them on my force, but it was a "HI" performance boat.....:D but damn..270 bucks.... fuc that...

productimage1_893.gif

I thought about it, I honestly don’t have the dash real estate for it which increased the cost even more for me. If I have to put it out of my easy line of sight, it is nearly useless anyway. You’ve raced cars, you know that.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think with the tabs you chose, the only way they offer is mech. indicators... pretty big over kill for a 60 mph boat....

Correct. That is why I’ll just use my ass as the gauge... it is a slow bote.

My boat does not need the tabs like faster boats - @Cole Trickle ’s Hallett, or @milkmoney ’s Schiada, or faster boats like you have had.

I just got them to improve the ride on rough days a bit, and tow my kids around on plane at a slower speed.

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I thought about it, I honestly don’t have the dash real estate for it which increased the cost even more for me. If I have to put it out of my easy line of sight, it is nearly useless anyway. You’ve raced cars, you know that.
On my Hallett, they put the indicator in the walk through...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Glad it worked out as you wanted, and thanks for answering my questions...tabs are a great add to most every boat

I added some more to that response you quoted. I totally get your point though.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

I seriously laughed out loud at this...

At the end of the day, isn’t a set of tabs what really brought down ICB and the intermittent lawsuit drama we get to read about on here..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I seriously laughed out loud at this...

At the end of the day, isn’t a set of tabs what really brought down ICB and the intermittent lawsuit drama we get to read about on here..

I think they were running a boat storage operation storing boats indoors at an indoor facility that didn’t exist. I don’t know the details, but members drove by the address, and there were no boats there lol.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
if you watch this, the indicator is mech. and in the walk through...when I took off the drive was still up...so I would be the same as no indicator if you didn't already know where it was...

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I think they were running a boat storage operation storing boats indoors at an indoor facility that didn’t exist. I don’t know the details, but members drove by the address, and there were no boats there lol.

I’m speaking of the fireman’s boat that wouldn’t get on plane. He is the one who brought the lawsuit that ended in a massive judgment after ICB apparently decided to ignore the lawsuit. It was a great thread to read when it was happening.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m speaking of the fireman’s boat that wouldn’t get on plane. He is the one who brought the lawsuit that ended in a massive judgment after ICB apparently decided to ignore the lawsuit. It was a great thread to read when it was happening.

Oh yes. Lol @ Chris Mulvania.

Maybe it just needed tab indicators.

CobraDave

Reaction score
On my 22 Shockwave Deck, they come stock with tabs, no indicators. I’m almost two seasons in with them. I would love to have indicators. Instead of having to put them all the way up and count seconds to know how far down they go, is annoying. I’m pretty used to it but I too don’t have a lot of dash space so I don’t know where they would go.

Also my switches for the tabs are on the right side. I have to let go of the throttle, reach in between the throttle and steering wheel do adjust them. It’s a horrible place for them. I like how yours are on the left side of the dash.

With my boat loaded it likes to hop a lot if I’m not full throttle so the tabs help control it. Without them I probably would sell it.

I think they would but such a big improvement on any boat. That 23 Cobra is going to love them. If I could find a place, how much would it be to add indicators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
if you watch this, the indicator is mech. and in the walk through...when I took off the drive was still up...so I would be the same as no indicator if you didn't already know where it was...

Why did they mount the indicator there??? Perfect place to be looking while at speed.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Why did they mount the indicator there??? Perfect place to be looking while at speed.
it's a Hallett, so you know it was done right,.. like the prop that was wrong... Hallett told the guy to learn to drive a boat first,...