WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1st day as an employee..

buck35

Reaction score
One of my former co-workers called a few few weeks ago wondering if I wanted a yob... He's a maintenance supervisor, and it seems finding new hires worth their salt is tough....

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Finding "ANY" maint guys...... I dont care what trade. Mechs, Fitters HVAC, Sparkys, drywallers, plumbers.... etc.... is virtually impossible here. I retired nearly 3 years ago completely. My phonerings every single day several times. Recruiters, hiring guys in HR...... My buddys still working tell me they are all shorthanded.
Also, absolutely 100% ofthese jobs are 2nd or 3rd shift. All of'em.
no thanks.

Joker

Reaction score
You're never going to have it as good as you did. Yeah you got a guaranteed check until the company gets slow. Don't let your license expire. Pay the renewal fee as an insurance policy. I honestly hope you make it, but you seemed to be doing fine on your own. I could never go back to punching in and out.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Enjoy the new job much better off health ins is expensive you could always go back

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
One of my former co-workers called a few few weeks ago wondering if I wanted a yob... He's a maintenance supervisor, and it seems finding new hires worth their salt is tough....
What area??? So Cal? OC/LA maybe. Have a bro in law that just got laid off. Same line of work

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Construction super for a energy company

Sounds pretty cool.. If there's any math involved I'm sure you're gonna knock it out of the park. Things will start to fall into place soon, change is never easy.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Very curious how this goes for you. I feel your frustration chasing money and paying so many damn overhead expenses....

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Very curious how this goes for you. I feel your frustration chasing money and paying so many damn overhead expenses....
I have no clue how long it's going to last but I can tell you right now my stress level has dropped by at at least half. I see all these employees walking around and I know I don't have to pay for them.

Joker

Reaction score
I have no clue how long it's going to last but I can tell you right now my stress level has dropped by at at least half. I see all these employees walking around and I know I don't have to pay for them.

You understand that you’re now the person you hated as an employer. Being an employer has its challenges and rewards. Challenges create rewards. You can’t simply fold because of receivables and clients unwillingness to pay. If this was the case, none of us entrepreneurs would be here today. I really hope the grass is greener for you

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Been unemployed for all but 5 years of my life. The rest of the time I've been self employed, now 69, and still working. My father retired at 50, because he could and never enjoyed what he did, other than being a Naval officer/fighter pilot/instructor during WW2. He always excelled at what he did and I inherited the trait. Work to me has always been more of a sport than a task. However, we are now trying to figure out the exit plan.
I think YB has the right idea, sell your talent and ideals. Just don't get caught up in someone else's problems. I did that during my 5 years of employment, wasn't worth it.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I’m in the process of doing the same thing myself. My business runs itself these days and doesn’t require much work. I’m pretty much a professional couch monkey these days and my mental health is taking a toll as a result.

I’ve thought about going back into sales mode to start expanding my business but shelling out $1200 a month on health insurance for my wife and I has gotten old and I got word next year it will be closer to $3K because we’ll be covering the insurance costs for our 5 kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
This up coming week is going to be interesting, Monday I have a meeting with all the subs on a project I am taking over. I have already walked the site and there are few things I am not happy with. The other side of that is for the 1st time in years I am actually going to praise the electrical sub. His guys have worked clean, every thing is labeled clearly and at several locations.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
You understand that you’re now the person you hated as an employer.

I'd venture to guess he didn't make the move to duck into the shadows and shed all responsibility, to just collect a paycheck for showing up. He's probably now the supervisor he always wishes he had, one who considers the best interest of the company in the decisions made on site due to his years of experience of being "the business".[/QUOTE]

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I like this electrical sub. One of the things I found on site was several broken glass pipes. In the meeting this morning, I asked when was the last time you drug tested your employees? He was the only one that knew the answer, and said" the next test is right after lunch " this was after I showed pics of everything I either liked or needed fixed. I was not asking when was the last time, I was telling them it better happen today. Will see what they say tomorrow when I ask them that question again. If they do not have the right answer, I will move to remove them from the site. A 6 monthbproject is already 9 weeks late and still a month left of work.

Joker

Reaction score
I like this electrical sub. One of the things I found on site was several broken glass pipes. In the meeting this morning, I asked when was the last time you drug tested your employees? He was the only one that knew the answer, and said" the next test is right after lunch " this was after I showed pics of everything I either liked or needed fixed. I was not asking when was the last time, I was telling them it better happen today. Will see what they say tomorrow when I ask them that question again. If they do not have the right answer, I will move to remove them from the site. A 6 monthbproject is already 9 weeks late and still a month left of work.

Your new company has something in the contract stating you have the ability to break a contract with a sub because you want to instill a drug policy 6 months into the project? I hope all of the other subs are being forced to do testing as well. You know well enough removing a sub from a project takes time and opens your new employer up for litigation. Good luck

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Your new company has something in the contract stating you have the ability to break a contract with a sub because you want to instill a drug policy 6 months into the project? I hope all of the other subs are being forced to do testing as well. You know well enough removing a sub from a project takes time and opens your new employer up for litigation. Good luck
Zero litigation, drug use is clearly grounds for contract termination so is willfully osha violations

This is both

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Every single sub showed up and had results from yesterday's drug test.... 11 people did not.