WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OFFICIAL World Water Ski Racing Championships!!!

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I just want to say, Thank You and AZMIDLYF for taking the time to post up this event.
Some really cool kats on this board.
:cool:

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Some other pics with the family from opening ceremonies
654.jpeg

652.jpeg

skiracr

Reaction score
I just want to say, Thank You and AZMIDLYF for taking the time to post up this event.
Some really cool kats on this board.
:cool:

Not gonna lie it takes a good amount of time BUT this experience is so awesome, it would be selfish not to share it. Pics are one thing, living it has been incredible.

skiracr

Reaction score
Le four a Bois
Four Brothers Pizza

Finally made it in for lunch, dinner we found out is reservations only... Now we know why.

Like the in n out of France
8 pizzas on the menu and that's it. Drinks, beer and wine. It was amazing pizza, thin crust and unlike your regular pizza toppings in the states.

Super small inside, maybe 8 tables

KIMG0125.JPG

KIMG0387.JPG

KIMG0388.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
Sure enjoyed watching the race video posted yesterday, washing machine doesn't begin to define the conditions !!
I must admit, I'm struggling to understand with apparently a 90 second differential between the start of flight # 1 to # 7, how this race is scored.
I read One hour + One Lap, OK, I'm dense, that's not helping :confused::confused: One hour from when, flight # 1 start or Your flight start ? And with boats spread out all over this elongated course, how does this one more lap thing even work ? I tried to find a better explanation on a few sites, couldn't find it.
Man, I gotta give credit to whom ever is tracking and scoring these races, WOW.
Thanks again for this amazing coverage !!

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Incredible coverage, that water looked rough to ski in.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
After running in that water, I'm sure the homemade Cryo treatment was a blessing. :)

skiracr

Reaction score
Sure enjoyed watching the race video posted yesterday, washing machine doesn't begin to define the conditions !!
I must admit, I'm struggling to understand with apparently a 90 second differential between the start of flight # 1 to # 7, how this race is scored.
I read One hour + One Lap, OK, I'm dense, that's not helping :confused::confused: One hour from when, flight # 1 start or Your flight start ? And with boats spread out all over this elongated course, how does this one more lap thing even work ? I tried to find a better explanation on a few sites, couldn't find it.
Man, I gotta give credit to whom ever is tracking and scoring these races, WOW.
Thanks again for this amazing coverage !!

So that race was actually 2 races in one, the F1 Men and F2 men, 26 total. They start in the grid of 4 or 3 boats/skiers. The F1 started first. When you're use to scoring these races it's actually pretty easy if everyone starts when they're supposed to.

So yes, the race is 1 hour + 1 lap. The hour starts from the time the first flight leaves. Each flight starts 15 seconds there after till all skiers start. The scorers and judges keep track of the leader not necessarily the outright leader. At the end of the hour, they give the leader the flag for the last lap. Regardless of where you are lap wise, you also have one lap left. The checkered is given to the first finisher and everyone finishes behind them. Then the fun begins. They tally all your laps with your finish time, then subtract the time of your flight departure. This will give you your adjusted official time. So if you started in the third flight, 30 seconds gets subtracted from your overall time.
Still with me?
So if the first finisher had a time of 1:05.42
And the second finisher, who was in the third flight, had a time of 1:05.58, that person's time would be adjusted to 1:05.28 which would make them the winner.:confused::eek::cool:
Hopefully I didn't confuse the shit out of you even more.

Taboma

Reaction score
So that race was actually 2 races in one, the F1 Men and F2 men, 26 total. They start in the grid of 4 or 3 boats/skiers. The F1 started first. When you're use to scoring these races it's actually pretty easy if everyone starts when they're supposed to.

So yes, the race is 1 hour + 1 lap. The hour starts from the time the first flight leaves. Each flight starts 15 seconds there after till all skiers start. The scorers and judges keep track of the leader not necessarily the outright leader. At the end of the hour, they give the leader the flag for the last lap. Regardless of where you are lap wise, you also have one lap left. The checkered is given to the first finisher and everyone finishes behind them. Then the fun begins. They tally all your laps with your finish time, then subtract the time of your flight departure. This will give you your adjusted official time. So if you started in the third flight, 30 seconds gets subtracted from your overall time.
Still with me?
And the second finisher, who was in the third flight, had a time of 1:05.58, that person's time would be adjusted to 1:05.28 which would make them the winner.:confused::eek::cool:

Great explanation sir
thumbs up.png
I was thinking this is how it should work, but wasn't sure. I guess what was confusing me was watching the video, listening to the announcer call off the skier name and place as the boat passed. I see now, that was only relative to the physical order, not timed order. Thanks !!!

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score

Still with me?

Ha Ha, well done. I saw Toboma's question this morning but didn't have time to answer it then. Now I don't have to. :D

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
So what happens when a skier goes down in that slop. With everyone so close in every direction. You guys aren’t skiing to win your skiing to survive, lol

Congrats on just being a part of this, looks like a blast

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the way the old around Ana Capa Ski Race was scored. Ski teams started in three or four boat waves, each wave separated by about 15 seconds, inside Oxnard Harbor. Everybody's elapsed time was adjusted once all the teams had finished. It was definitely a different strategy type of race.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. Looks awesome. Not the water. That shit looks ruff.

Be safe ....but win!! Go USA!!

Great thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The inside boat pushed out into the orange Bernico's line to avoid a skier in the water...:eek:

I have a video somewhere of a ski line getting hooked on a canopy of a nordic ski race rig one time.. lol. It popped off as they came around a corner. Rope actually came in the boat!

I love watching these rough water races and the roundy rounds.. but the time trial races make more sense to me (southern 80 etc). At one point I was really die hard on putting a damn to damn in Parker on and. A field in Havasu from nautical to the springs.

Be amazing to watch and document

montaj629

Reaction score
I have a video somewhere of a ski line getting hooked on a canopy of a nordic ski race rig one time.. lol. It popped off as they came around a corner. Rope actually came in the boat!

I love watching these rough water races and the roundy rounds.. but the time trial races make more sense to me (southern 80 etc). At one point I was really die hard on putting a damn to damn in Parker on and. A field in Havasu from nautical to the springs.

Be amazing to watch and document
Early 2000’s we did a Nautical to Springs and back race. It was held in February which made it easier to manage with hardly any boat traffic. Let’s look At revisiting this!!

Also, men’s F1 and F2 start at 7am today! Here is the link to watch!
https://m.facebook.com/waterskiracingeurope/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Boat211

Reaction score
Still nothing. Must be firewalls at work. I will have to catch updates on Instagram.

Boat211

Reaction score
The last link worked for me. Thanks!! Water is brutal. Much like the Diamond race in Belgium.

Gambin87

Reaction score
A few more laps and it was setting up to be a nice battle between Ben and Todd! The 2 of them were moving at some impressive speed out there in that condition

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Really liked the commentary. Made it entertaining. I'd like to see a race here someday, much better than 10 seconds you see for the Catalina race.

Taboma

Reaction score
Watching it live on FB and chuckling thanks to the great commentary, kept waiting for him to go full "Ozzie Man", :D
Oh and the shrill screams from the lady, great fun. :p

Go Team USA, you guys are animals and skiing your hearts out
thumbs up.png

skiracr

Reaction score
So what happens when a skier goes down in that slop. With everyone so close in every direction. You guys aren’t skiing to win your skiing to survive, lol

Congrats on just being a part of this, looks like a blast

Depending on where the skier goes down it can be a shit show. The turns are the absolute worst place to fall. Here, if you go down in the turn, the observer must grab the skier and get them in the boat or out of the water enough to maneuver out of the turn and into the center or far outside.

If the skier goes down in the straights, they restart from where they went in.

skiracr

Reaction score
Another bad ass day of racing, and I started, raced, and completed my first World's race. Ho-Lee Fukn Shit Balls. I can't even describe how awesome that race was, the conditions were nothing I could've imagined. The North turn was 3-5 foot washing machine, some shop in the middle of the course and the South turn stayed ok throughout the race.

Today I placed 6 out of 10 I think, maybe 9. I was pretty dam pleased with that, being all the big names that are here competing. I didn't go in the water and was able to ski hard for an hour plus. I didn't get a lot of photos today but my wife got some great shots of me going by.
862.jpeg
860.jpeg
858.jpeg
856.jpeg
864.jpeg
868.jpeg
866.jpeg
870.jpeg

Because we got a DNF on the first race for to losing the prop, today we started in the third flight which was tough. With today's performance, I will get moved back up to second flight, #2 on the pole.

Some other great pictures from the day.

Our son took a little nap with Papa
768.jpeg

Then he got into my tape bag...lol
KIMG0389.JPG

This is a crash from the first day Junior Boy's race. This kid was absolutely flying. He hit a wake wrong and went in hard.

Attachments

• 777.jpeg
    777.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 780.jpeg
    780.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 779.jpeg
    779.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 778.jpeg
    778.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 259

Taboma

Reaction score
Given such challenging water conditions, what speeds are the classes able to run ? Not easy to tell watching the feed.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
I was wondering as well on the average speeds being run in those conditions.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Guessing mid 60's on the straights, averages in the high 40's low 50's for F2

Add 10+ for the Open boats, and a metric shitload more the 1st straight!

Beeb's - You're rocking this thing! Great work!

Gambin87

Reaction score
I was wondering as well on the average speeds being run in those conditions.
People may be surprised by the number but Ben and Todd are more then likely running up around 80 throughout the roughest part of the race

racektm

Reaction score
Guessing mid 60's on the straights, averages in the high 40's low 50's for F2

Add 10+ for the Open boats, and a metric shitload more the 1st straight!

Beeb's - You're rocking this thing! Great work!
Looking at the results, Ben and Todd were averaging 58 mph and the top F2 man averaged 54

skiracr

Reaction score
You are doing Great Brian!! I am very proud to have sponsored you guys for the worlds!

RD

Thanks Dave, that means a lot. With my first World's race we were pretty happy with our race. Tomorrow we're going to push a little harder, and try to pick up the pace a little more in the top turn.