WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What of waste of car

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm confused. Who was that statement aimed towards? And the initial report said alcohol doesn't appear to be a factor in the accident... I guess you know more to the story since you are accusing them of being drunk??
Easy there Jr Mint...
More a blanket statement encompassing an idea that sometimes there are those who may possibly purchase, or commission the build of, a vehicle that may or may not be above their current compatibility. Since the more recent ability of car builders to supply motors with literally twice the power than a Corvette, the progression of drivers does not seem to have kept up. It used to be if you could keep a street car on course, a driver would gradually build the car, or another, to attain faster speeds or desired handling characteristics. Now, it is relatively easy to attain 1000hp. Not cheap, but much easier. Anyone who has driven things with 6-700hp can tell you it is a much different animal that the same car with 4-500hp. There are times the learning curve is vertical. I am just happy it was a well built car, which allowed them to survive what may have killed them in other vehicles.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Kevin Hart was riding in a death trap in the form of a tricked out 1970 Plymouth Barracuda ... so say car experts, who believe his ride lacked key safety features that would've spared him horrendous injuries as a result of his car crash.

Several owners of car customizing shops specializing in performance vehicles tell TMZ ... it's "highly unusual" for cars with 720 horsepower to be outfitted without a five-point harness and a roll cage.

Joe Rogan commissioned Rad Rides by Troy to build his Hemi-powered 1970 Barracuda -- the same type of car Kevin had -- and folks in the shop tell us Joe's whip did indeed have a five-point harness and roll cage, and the shop's staff was shocked Kevin's was not similarly outfitted.

We reached out to SpeedKore, the company that customized Kevin's Barracuda, to ask about the car's safety features or lack thereof ... but they had no comment.

TMZ broke the story ... Kevin suffered 3 spinal fractures when his car crashed through a fence on Mulholland Highway in the Malibu Hills. He had serious back surgery where doctors fused 3 sections of his spine. He's now starring down months of rehab.

Kevin's wreck shook Dr. Phil ... he showed us his classic, souped-up 1957 Chevy, which is equipped with lap belts but no safety harnesses, and he's now thinking about installing the harnesses and also plans to inquire about airbags.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it odd that Kevin Hart was taken from the scene by his body guard and not an ambulance, etc? I know they say he wasn't driving...but that sure seems like a cover-up to me?

I thought the same thing. But also had heard they had to cut the driver out of the car. So who knows.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
On a sunny dry day all by itself with no increase/decrease in throttle, nothing on the road, no initiation of a turn, and no mechanical failure during steady-state cruising - the car just randomly went hard right?

UD

Oh there was a failure somewhere whether it was tire or tie rod or something else but it was a straight road and we went hard right
IMG_7472.JPG
IMG_7481.JPG
aIMG_7488.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
First of all, half of this shit being reported is by TMZ. Lol. Yea, real news..... so he was riding in a death trap with 720 hp because it didn’t have a cage and 5 pt harnesses. Too funny. Better tell everyone with a zr1, Dodge hellcat, or half a dozen other cars they are now in a death trap. I figure, he let a friend drive and said punch it...... and it all went sideways real quick. Too bad. Kevin is a really big car guy and it’s a bummer to see a bad ass car get destroyed.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Kevin Hart's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda will be stripped down to nuts, bolts and metal pieces ... courtesy of the California Highway Patrol, and what the CHP finds could result in new car safety laws.

Our CHP sources tell us its protocol is often to dissemble cars involved in either fatal or major injuries to determine the cause of the crash. It's a 3-week process ... a week taking the car apart and 2-3 weeks evaluating the evidence and writing a report.

Our law enforcement sources say ... the end result may be a recommendation by the CHP to the state legislature to require that car companies that customize and restore classic cars must install safety harnesses, even if it deviates from the original vehicle. In Kevin's case, the Barracuda is a 1970, when harnesses were not required.

As one CHP source told us, even if there were mechanical problems with the car that caused the crash, a safety harness could have prevented or minimized the serious back injuries Kevin and the driver suffered.

We're told the CHP DOES care if the car wasn't restored properly. The CHP has actually pushed legislation over salvaged cars that are unsafely restored ... and now those cars must be inspected by the Dept.

The CHP has offices in the state capitol in Sacramento and dept. officials work closely with legislators to push vehicle safety laws. We're told Kevin's crash, along with other similar crashes involving classic cars, may mean in the future ... every one of these cars must be outfitted with a harness that could prevent major injury and death.

Albert

Reaction score
Why people hate so much ? It was just a bad ass car with a guy that has a salary of everyone on here combined! Nice ride sucks her crashed it period.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Kevin Hart's 1970 Plymouth Barracuda will be stripped down to nuts, bolts and metal pieces ... courtesy of the California Highway Patrol, and what the CHP finds could result in new car safety laws.

Our CHP sources tell us its protocol is often to dissemble cars involved in either fatal or major injuries to determine the cause of the crash. It's a 3-week process ... a week taking the car apart and 2-3 weeks evaluating the evidence and writing a report.

Our law enforcement sources say ... the end result may be a recommendation by the CHP to the state legislature to require that car companies that customize and restore classic cars must install safety harnesses, even if it deviates from the original vehicle. In Kevin's case, the Barracuda is a 1970, when harnesses were not required.

As one CHP source told us, even if there were mechanical problems with the car that caused the crash, a safety harness could have prevented or minimized the serious back injuries Kevin and the driver suffered.

We're told the CHP DOES care if the car wasn't restored properly. The CHP has actually pushed legislation over salvaged cars that are unsafely restored ... and now those cars must be inspected by the Dept.

The CHP has offices in the state capitol in Sacramento and dept. officials work closely with legislators to push vehicle safety laws. We're told Kevin's crash, along with other similar crashes involving classic cars, may mean in the future ... every one of these cars must be outfitted with a harness that could prevent major injury and death.
Well crap...I remember some of the foreign countries having issues importing hot rods due to safety issues. Some countries won't accept modified frames or steering. It's really too bad. I had my worst wreck in a stone stock crew cab 1ton. Shattered a few vertebrae, fractured my skull and a host of other crap...funny how CHP will investigate this, but wrecks like this happen everyday. Modified and stock, at some point the severity of the accident also calls into question the operator. A broken steering knuckle or ill designed suspension will cause much less damage at lower speeds.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It's amazing the people that buy these cars that have no idea about stored energy, kinetic energy, coefficient of friction etc.
Just ask any mustang driver leaving a car show.

They just don't care and run out of talent.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Safety harnesses are not even DOT approved, so this will go nowhere. Harnesses without a cage are not good, and a cage without harnesses is not good either.

Something probably broke. If they weren't going an excessive speed, they would have been fine.

spectras only

Reaction score
Can no longer import salvage title cars into Canada to put on the road, for track usage only where you're on your own, signing a waiver every time you going there.;)

spectras only

Reaction score
Safety harnesses are not even DOT approved, so this will go nowhere. Harnesses without a cage are not good, and a cage without harnesses is not good either.

Something probably broke. If they weren't going an excessive speed, they would have been fine.

Yep, same here in Canada
In California, anything that replaces the STOCK seatbelt that isn't DOT approved is illegal. Therefore in CA, if you have a 4-6 point harness, even if you have a roll bar and a helmet on, it is illegal. I see no reason for people in street cars to use them.

Ps; only street legal car with 5 point harness was the Gen2 Viper ACR. It was a factory component, and was allowed at the time.
Sabelt harnesses maybe street legal in some states, guranteed it is not legal in California.;)

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Why people hate so much ? It was just a bad ass car with a guy that has a salary of everyone on here combined! Nice ride sucks her crashed it period.
Exactly....I like Kevin as an entertainer...and most on here have had an oh shit moment in their lives...but this place is always 20/20 on Monday.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Exactly....I like Kevin as an entertainer...and most on here have had an oh shit moment in their lives...but this place is always 20/20 on Monday.
I agree with you
But watch a car show exit video compilation. 3 Lane highway, completely empty, and these guys still somehow wind up putting it head-on into a freeway abutment.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yep, same here in Canada
In California, anything that replaces the STOCK seatbelt that isn't DOT approved is illegal. Therefore in CA, if you have a 4-6 point harness, even if you have a roll bar and a helmet on, it is illegal. I see no reason for people in street cars to use them.

Ps; only street legal car with 5 point harness was the Gen2 Viper ACR. It was a factory component, and was allowed at the time.
Sabelt harnesses maybe street legal in some states, guranteed it is not legal in California.;)

Yea they do have some 5 point harnesses on retractors that could be an optimal solution.. No one is going to put that crap in their restomod show car though.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
A68037EB-1CD4-4DAE-A0E5-C610EB73A359.jpeg

DB0B6BB7-2FFA-45AE-9B5D-F0475170EF27.jpeg

I wonder if it’s the same car Speedkore had at SEMA 2015 with the Mercury Racing SB4 4-valve small block in it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Good looking car, well was a good looking car.
Was talking with a custom builder yesterday about this. He was wondering if this will be the equivalent of Boyd's issues with the manufactured cars. How much will this change the registration, safety requirements, etc. on cars that may be 25% actual car, 75% modified of manufactured.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/21/kevin-hart-lawsuit-certain-car-crash-custom-muscle-injuries/

The big issue ... we're told the company that customized the car could be looking at a lawsuit. The argument goes like this ... the company is the expert and even if Kevin wanted a custom job without safety harnesses, the company should have refused the job because it wasn't safe ... especially with a powerful, 720 horsepower engine.

We contacted 10 custom car companies around the country and asked if Kevin's crash has opened their eyes and changed their minds about customizing classic cars without installing safety harnesses. 8 out of the 10 said they would if that's what the customer wanted. Only 2 said they would not.

It's interesting because it opens these companies up to a lawsuit, especially if there are passengers in the car who get injured.

Our law enforcement sources tell us ... the CHP may lobby the California State Legislature to prohibit custom car companies from rolling out products without harnesses ... whether the customer wants them or not.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Sue the carmaker?
Horse shit.

That’s the car Kevin wanted.
He ordered it.
He got what he wanted.
He didn’t complain.

The driver was in over his head.
Start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I see no reason for people in street cars to use them.
Would you consider a Jeep CJ5 a “street car”?
Would you feel better riding or driving one with a lap belt and a FACTORY roll bar?
I was stopped no less than 6 times in mine, equipped with a real cage and 5 points. No cop ever wrote me on it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Sue the carmaker?
Horse shit.

That’s the car Kevin wanted.
He ordered it.
He got what he wanted.
He didn’t complain.

The driver was in over his head.
Start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More TMZ fake news.

No shit. The harnesses aren’t even DOT legal. And if it HAD harnesses and he would have broken his neck everyone would be crying that the car had illegal harnesses.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Would you consider a Jeep CJ5 a “street car”?
Would you feel better riding or driving one with a lap belt and a FACTORY roll bar?
I was stopped no less than 6 times in mine, equipped with a real cage and 5 points. No cop ever wrote me on it.

If you have a cage. You should run harnesses, legal or not. If you don’t have a cage, they are not needed. Just because you throw harnesses in a car or Jeep, does not mean it is any safer.

Ive never been written up for them either.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
LargeOrangeFont, post: 3474369, member: 17700"]More TMZ fake news.

No shit. The harnesses aren’t even DOT legal. And if it HAD harnesses and he would have broken his neck everyone would be crying that the car had illegal harnesses.

Kevin should have had roll cage and hans device, saving himself :D:D:D

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
DUH!!!! Tons of money doesn't come with knowledge, common sense, or skill, and can actually have the same effect as alcohol or drugs. Throw some over sized ego on top of a bunch of money, and this is what happens. I'm always selective about who I'll get in a boat/car/plane with. I try and asses skill / judgement - not wallet size.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So allllllll of this typical TMZ drama, stupidity, conjecture, ignorance and lectures about cars being improperly built, laws being changed for custom car builders, the CHP getting involved in an intense “investigation” of the car.. And it turns out the accident was caused by a driver that ran out of talent, and passengers not wearing seatbelts... I could have told you that the moment I read the story :)