WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Roku, Apple TV or????

Tank

Reaction score
We've decided to get another Apple TV type device. Had a couple before but then cancelled all our subscriptions and sold the devices. Our magic box works well but I have "access" to Netfilx and HBOGo and have an amazon prime account so in reality we'd be smart to get another player. I was just going to buy the new Apple TV but then I see the Roku. Which is better? And if it's Apple TV do I really need the newest gen Apple TV or is like the 2nd or 3rd going to do the same shit?

Thanks.

outboard_256

Reaction score
What TV you going to hook this to? Do you need 4k or higher quality?

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Amazon firestick or cube.

My wife demanded we get Roku’s, she doesn’t like the firestick. Every TV in my home is either a Roku TV or has a Roku. The Roku interface is pretty good but the problem is that the Roku has its own proprietary OS and you’re limited to Roku approved app’s.

Amazon fire is Android powered and allows you to install anything you want. They can be hacked and you can turn them into Magic boxes for free. The interface isn’t as nice as Roku but the content is limitless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Just get one of these and you're set. Make sure you get a de-scrambler as well :D

t6cshn3smh531.jpg

120406-ScrambledCable.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Amazon firestick or cube.

My wife demanded we get Roku’s, she doesn’t like the firestick. Every TV in my home is either a Roku TV or has a Roku. The Roku interface is pretty good but the problem is that the Roku has its own proprietary OS and you’re limited to Roku approved app’s.

Amazon fire is Android powered and allows you to install anything you want. They can be hacked and you can turn them into Magic boxes for free. The interface isn’t as nice as Roku but the content is limitless.

I have a couple magic boxes that work just like the jail broke fire sticks. So not looking for another one of those.

So you're saying on the Roku the list of apps you can load is not as long as the Apple TV's?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have a couple Roku s and like them. I use my kids spectrum signon and can get any channel I want that way. I figure it is the least they can do for a old retired guy.

BajaMike

Reaction score
I’ve got Amazon Fire sticks and a Roku....I like them both.

The advantage of the Apple TV is you can show content from your Apple device (iPad, IPhone or Apple laptop) which is a plus. You can easily show you photos on your big screen TV.

Tank

Reaction score

The advantage of the Apple TV is you can show content from your Apple device (iPad, IPhone or Apple laptop) which is a plus. You can easily show you photos on your big screen TV.
That is a plus. We have a laptop hooked up to the big TV in the living room and always play a photo slide show that has about 1500 pics in it of trips and family and parties etc going back 20 years or so. Everyone digs it when they see a photo of themselves from 10 years ago or something.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That is a plus. We have a laptop hooked up to the big TV in the living room and always play a photo slide show that has about 1500 pics in it of trips and family and parties etc going back 20 years or so. Everyone digs it when they see a photo of themselves from 10 years ago or something.

I have mine linked to my iTunes library, I think it scrolls the slide show from there?

When I get the new Q7 I think it will render the Apple box sort of redundant?

But to the point I have 2 Apple TV boxes (living room and master), the guest room has an old Roku so guests can’t access I tunes.
I go with Apple TV because all my shit is Apple.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I have all three, Roku, Firestick, AppleTV. We also cut the cord with Directv and went with YoutubeTv for the unlimited DVR service, also have Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Problem is that Firestick and YoutubeTV don’t get along so that one sucks for me. We also have phones with unlimited data using hotspots (Verizon), so at my lake house we hotspot for our WiFi and run Roku or Apple there as well. In conclusion, don’t get Firestick if you might get YoutubeTV.

Last edited:

78Southwind

Reaction score
I have all three, Roku, Firestick, AppleTV. We also cut the cord with Directv and went with YoutubeTv for the unlimited DVR service, also have Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Problem is that Firestick and YoutubeTV don’t get along so that one sucks for me. We also have phones with unlimited data using hotspots (Verizon), so at my lake house we hotspot for our WiFi and run Roku or Apple there as well. In conclusion, don’t get Firestick if you might get YoutubeTV.

You no longer need to follow this video for Youtube TV. Youtube TV app is now available in the Amazon App Store. So you don't need to use the work around.

I followed this youtube video to add YoutubeTV on the Firestick for two of my TV's and I haven't had a problem yet.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

You can do that with a fire stick also [emoji106]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GNXUSPPJVUULQG2P

Apple just makes things so damned easy if you’re already in their universe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
I followed this youtube video to add YoutubeTV on the Firestick for two of my TV's and I haven't had a problem yet.

Youtube just made up with Amazon again, and re-released their apps. Before, you had to stream thru the Firefox browser. But they are all friends again.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I was looking at a TV yesterday at walmart. 75" TLC Roque that requires a Roque membership. Great reviews and cheap. Think the thing was $798.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Youtube just made up with Amazon again, and re-released their apps. Before, you had to stream thru the Firefox browser. But they are all friends again.
I wonder why they haven't made an app available? I had to use the downloader to install it and the crosswalk program to run it.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I wonder why they haven't made an app available? I had to use the downloader to install it and the crosswalk program to run it.

Hmm thats weird. My Firestick allowed me and was in the Amazon store again. I even got a message I think that it was back in again.

78Southwind

Reaction score
As of today the Youtube TV app is now available in the Amazon App Store. So you don't need to use the work around.

Icky

Reaction score
Best buy elite members $ 15 off fire stick

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I have mine linked to my iTunes library, I think it scrolls the slide show from there?

When I get the new Q7 I think it will render the Apple box sort of redundant?

But to the point I have 2 Apple TV boxes (living room and master), the guest room has an old Roku so guests can’t access I tunes.
I go with Apple TV because all my shit is Apple.

I LOVE my Q7. When they release an 85”+ version the 75” will become our bedroom TV.

The Q TV’s do not replace Apple TV. The Samsung interface is really nice but it’s a proprietary OS and limits the Apps you can install. I have a fire cube plugged into mine because of the app limitation and I’m fairly certain you’ll find a bunch of stuff you use on your Apple TV that you can’t use with the native Samsung OS.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
we have appletvs in every room of every house. Its awesome imo. Has all the apps you need for every channel on tv. can link to your computers. can link to your phones tablets u name it. can run your itunes through it. its just too damn easy imo. I am now basically a full time streamer tv watcher...get all my news on youtube along with other streaming services. its a no brainer for my family

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I don't know much about streaming since we have cable but I put a TV in the garage when we got a new TV for our living room. I bought a Roku because I read that it will stream our Spectrum subscription.

Plugged it in last night, told it I have Spectrum and it functions just like a box (excluding DVR). I didn't even log into my Spectrum account to get it done. Still confused by that one...

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I had an old Apple Tv and recently bought another one. Its day and night better. They really upgraded the software and remote a lot. Once you watch s show its up top and you just click on it to continue watching. The Apple tv automatically connects you to HBO, Hulu, Netflix, whatever to find the stream. Its so much easier to deal with now, I wont even use the old one. Not to mention if you even touch the Apple remote, somehow it turns the tv on and sets the source to Apple. Not sure how it knows how to do that or how my tv knew how to do that?? Lol

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
If you can find something to watch on your phone or laptop, chromecast will put it on the TV. It's pretty slick.

Tank

Reaction score
I had an old Apple Tv and recently bought another one. Its day and night better. They really upgraded the software and remote a lot. Once you watch s show its up top and you just click on it to continue watching. The Apple tv automatically connects you to HBO, Hulu, Netflix, whatever to find the stream. Its so much easier to deal with now, I wont even use the old one. Not to mention if you even touch the Apple remote, somehow it turns the tv on and sets the source to Apple. Not sure how it knows how to do that or how my tv knew how to do that?? Lol

Yea, I ended up getting a new AppleTV. I's nice. We like it. The fuckin remote is kindve annoying though actually. Super sensitive. I go to pick it up or move it and it fast forwards or pauses or goes to the menu lol.

Happy with the Apple TV though.