WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Not great news for eating pacific fish

spectras only

Reaction score
Japan says dumping radioactive waste from Fukushima reactor into the Pacific could be its 'only option' because it is running out of space to store it:(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...e-waste-Fukushima-reactor-Pacific-option.html

18310024-7448797-image-a-1_1568133344237.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To my knowledge they still haven’t fixed the problem. They just keep cooling it with sea water and then Storing the sea water. That isn’t a solution.

Turnup

Reaction score
Send it all into space fuck it. By the time our ancient ancestors come back to say wtf you and I will be gone a hundred years or so who cares.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
oh for fucks sake, don't get RD started on Fukushima.:eek::D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It's all good they eat most of the fish from the Pacific anyways. Trying too cover up something that is thousands of degrees is not an easy task. More so when it's not cooling off for decades.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Didn't they have to order some massive articulated concrete pump for this fiasco? I believe it was assembled here in the states:D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I guess the world will be introduced to the quiet kind of zoomies. I hope their eardrums don't burst.

Once Japan admits defeat. The wretched racist U.S.of A. will pay to clean up their mess.. Again.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Radiated fish from Fukushima has already shown up on the West coast.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Every single nuclear plant that has ever been built anywhere in the world has the exact same issue, not one of them ever completed the design to handle the radioactive waste. Sure, it is cheap clean power. Until you finish the job and figure out what to do with all the waste. Then the cost could be the ultimate price of civilization itself.
Until then they are all ticking bombs, literally.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Every single nuclear plant that has ever been built anywhere in the world has the exact same issue, not one of them ever completed the design to handle the radioactive waste. Sure, it is cheap clean power. Until you finish the job and figure out what to do with all the waste. Then the cost could be the ultimate price of civilization itself.
Until then they are all ticking bombs, literally.
I still kind of wonder about San Onofre. It was shut down due to leaking coolers, imported, of course. It was shut down relatively quickly. A short time later, one of the biggest rigs I have ever seen moved a huge stainless cylinder to parts unknown.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I believe it was Mistubishi that put in the improper cooling tubes.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Japan has over 100 active volcanoes, more than almost any other country and accounts alone for about 10 % of all active volcanoes in the world. The volcanoes belong to the Pacific Ring of Fire, caused by subduction zones of the Pacific plate beneath continental and other oceanic plates along its margins.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Japan has over 100 active volcanoes, more than almost any other country and accounts alone for about 10 % of all active volcanoes in the world. The volcanoes belong to the Pacific Ring of Fire, caused by subduction zones of the Pacific plate beneath continental and other oceanic plates along its margins.

Do you want to create Godzilla?
Because that’s how we create Godzilla...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tank

Reaction score
Wonder how bad that will affect sushi quality.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
More of a solar guy? :D

I prefer hydro electric, but there are so many different and effective ways of making power in modern times..

You can do it on the tides.. or I always thought the various wave generators were a decent idea.. Here’s a couple.

Four or five different float / piston pump designs here

Kinetic (direct)

Air turbine

There’s lots of ways of making power

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
oh for fucks sake, don't get RD started on Fukushima.:eek::D

Sadly, RD is right...

There was a 60 Minutes segment on Fuka a couple months ago. What's going on there is nuts.

They have been building robots to go in and start cleaning things up. They spent Millions on the first robot, and it only went 10 feet.

The radiation is So strong, not even a robot will survive.

The take away was, they HAVE to clean it up, at any cost. Billions upon billions of dollars will be involved in the endeavor.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Japanese are not big on ecology. Some of the dirtiest harbor waters I've ever seen were in Japan.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
And they sure have no problem killing fish.. LOL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you guys think mercury in fish is a problem, you have no idea how bad this is going to be if they don’t get something figured out.

This is the kind of thing that doesn’t just go away because you want it too.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Why aren't they recycling/reusing the water they already have stored, more like a closed cooling system, rather than continuing to bring in more fresh? Once the used water has cooled back down, why not reuse it?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
If you guys think mercury in fish is a problem, you have no idea how bad this is going to be if they don’t get something figured out.

This is the kind of thing that doesn’t just go away because you want it too.
Wrong just completely wrong!!! It will go away in around 12,000 years :rolleyes:

500bbc

Reaction score
Do you want to create Godzilla?
Because that’s how we create Godzilla...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Godzirra?

Best sci movies ever. Mothra, Roldan, Ghidorah. Godzilla is the king!:D

riverroyal

Reaction score
San O ran for 20 years passed its expected life. Mitsubishi provide new reactors that had flaws. They were sued. They lost. Plant ‘decommissioned’ instead of spending more to keep it alive.
Decommissioning plan can’t get passed legal crap. Coastal commission, tree huggers etc. so it sits, ‘idling’. Keeping spent fuel rods cool. There was a plan for ending its life from day 1. There a mountain of dirt on the other side off the freeway that goes back in hole someday.

Few fun facts....
Lake Elsinore has a approved project that will pump lake water to the top of the mountain during the night, off peak
Then let it flow back down to create power spinning turbines.

Palo verde nuclear power plant in west Arizona is running at a very low capacity. They are buying California’s extra power for less than they can produce it. California has a surplus

Im a fan of nuclear power. It put food on my table as kid

riverroyal

Reaction score
Why aren't they recycling/reusing the water they already have stored, more like a closed cooling system, rather than continuing to bring in more fresh? Once the used water has cooled back down, why not reuse it?
There no reason to recycle it in nuclear power plants that don’t have issues. Fresh in, warm out