WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pentair vs Hayward pool systems?

hallett3

Reaction score
I’ve had both. I feel that both systems are good. Never had any major problems. I currently have Hayward. Pump and heater working great, 4 years and running good. I have had issues with the WiFi set up for the omi logic. Hayward is horrible with customer service on their computer issues.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have Both at two different houses with the remotes. I would take Pentair 10 times over on their new app for control and all the functions.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Pentair pumps, heater and filter for 19 years.
Just had to replace the heater 6 months ago.
No issue with any of the other stuff.

Hope i didn't just jynx myself:confused:

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Had a conversation recently with the owner of a big pool repair business, knowing I'm looking for a new heater and VS pool pump. His recommendation is to avoid Pentair at all costs, since they were built as an afterthought to appease the clients, and are horribly designed and seem to always break down. My Pentair lasted just 5 years before taking a fatal shit. He recommends to spend a few bucks extra and only purchase a Raypack pool heater, and opt for the Waterway VS pool pump for its simplicity if you are looking for a new pool pump.

Can I get an expert opinion from our RD Brain trust?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Pentair is better, but Hayward is still a good choice.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Raypak heaters are the best from my experience with them at 2 homes. Well built, reliable, no issues at all. And Raypak is located in Oxnard, CA

https://www.raypak.com/

Socalx09

Reaction score
I may have just had bad luck, but I went through 3 Hayward Pumps in 2 years. All covered under warranty. Finally after the last pump went out again. I decided to switch to a pentair Intelliflo. 0 problems in 4 years. Now have a pentair gas heater and the screen logic control system. It’s been great. Even when one of the screen logic modules went out, they sent a new one even with it being past warranty.

boatpi

Reaction score
I have 3 intel flows work perfect , the screen logic is flawless every time .

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Had a conversation recently with the owner of a big pool repair business, knowing I'm looking for a new heater and VS pool pump. His recommendation is to avoid Pentair at all costs, since they were built as an afterthought to appease the clients, and are horribly designed and seem to always break down. My Pentair lasted just 5 years before taking a fatal shit. He recommends to spend a few bucks extra and only purchase a Raypack pool heater, and opt for the Waterway VS pool pump for its simplicity if you are looking for a new pool pump.

Can I get an expert opinion from our RD Brain trust?
The # 1 problem with pool heaters not lasting there life expectancy at least from what I find is low gas pressure and improper pool water chemistry. Measure gas pressure in inches of water column. The other is low water flow. I'd check gas pressure by a professional first before you install your new heater as well as chemical balances.

Since 2008 I've installed in the mid 400s of the Pentair VS pool pump and can tell you it's the greatest thing that has ever been developed IMO. I like certain water way products but have never installed one of there pumps.

Pentair is far superior to Hayward, I work on both, and only would install Hayward if I had to. Most pool professionals got salty on Pentair when they sold there sole to the internet, me included. On the service side of my company and out of 200 services, we might have 2 pieces of Hayward equipment left, cartridge filters on fountains.

I like Jandy automation, Pentair pumps and filters, Raypak-Jandy-Pentair heaters, Big fan of Chemtrol and Pentair chemical automation. The only good thing about Hayward is there auto cleaner but they bought it from another Co. :)

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Pentair intelli-flow pump and heater for me for 12 years. I do my own pool and and have had great luck with their product. No issues on the pump, but i replaced a sensor on the heater vent about 2 years ago. Also, i did go through 3 pentair chloronators, but ended up shitcanning the salt system at the advice of all three of my pool maintenance buddies.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
X2 Pentair. I have had my inteliflow for three years running around 8 hrs a day on a 55,000 gallon pool which I installed myself. On a 105 degree day I ran the quick clean cycle four times and fried the control board as the pump house temp had to have been 110 plus degrees.
I called Pentair and they sent a replacement overnight to a local service dude who came out and replaced it the next day. I can't complain about the service !