WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on skorkels (off-road)

ltbaney1

Reaction score
a snorkel can be just the tip of the iceberg, you also need to look at all of your other vents. transmission, T-case, diffs, make sure they are up to the task as well. i always kind of laugh when i see a full snorkel on a newer jeep, im willing to bet none of them see deep enough water to need a snorkel. im wondering who is telling you need a snorkel? if its just a "for looks" deal, get what ever one puts a smile on your face.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
a snorkel can be just the tip of the iceberg, you also need to look at all of your other vents. transmission, T-case, diffs, make sure they are up to the task as well. i always kind of laugh when i see a full snorkel on a newer jeep, im willing to bet none of them see deep enough water to need a snorkel. im wondering who is telling you need a snorkel? if its just a "for looks" deal, get what ever one puts a smile on your face.

Some guys run snorkels (skorkels?:D) not for deep water fording but to get the air inlet up high and out of the dirt/dust.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Interesting how we don’t see desert racers run them...gee I wonder why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Dialectic grease, silicone and a shopvac hose. Worked fine.
dcp_2173.jpg

outboard_256

Reaction score
like mentioned above lots of prep to do deep water crossings. Before buying the snorkel decide if you want to even cross that bridge.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Interesting how we don’t see desert racers run them...gee I wonder why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I always thought they ran the air intake behind the cab which is kind of a snorkel... learn something new every day I guess.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Well, after posting this I found out (from a Jeep form) that there is no need for a snorkel other than to try and look cool, no real use for them...from what they say, it can be detrimental as it can allow even more dirt in when in the desert.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well, after posting this I found out (from a Jeep form) that there is no need for a snorkel other than to try and look cool, no real use for them...from what they say, it can be detrimental as it can allow even more dirt in when in the desert.

They are awesome if you want people to point and laugh at you!

:D

Riverbottom

Reaction score

I drove an AEV JK with the snorkel. It made the right A pillar real wide and a bigger blind spot.