WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I love California!

Joker

Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone eats fast food. Be it California or any other state, that food is garbage and bad for you.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I’m not sure why anyone eats fast food. Be it California or any other state, that food is garbage and bad for you.

This one's for you, Bud. :D

IMG_466 copy.jpg

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
After going to Carl’s and getting a super star and a drink for almost $12 it makes it better sense to just order a 3 topping deep dish pizza from Dominos for only $7.99. Yes, the deep dish makes a big difference over the regular crust pizza.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I’ve seen that stand. Never knew it was the OG. I heard the original owner still owns the 3 del tacos in Barstow. Don’t know if it’s true or not but they are better than the others with a slightly different menu.

And they must go thru a shit ton of cheese :D

That is true last time I was there I talked to them. I went to high school with the son. His name eugene hackbarth.

C-2

Reaction score
del taco:

https://www.pe.com/2018/06/26/del-t...est-star-at-its-opening-the-companys-founder/

9:56 am

• 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0012.jpg
  • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0041.jpg
  • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0021.jpg
  • 0627_NWS_RPE-L-DELTACO-0627-0031.jpg
1 of 6
Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth talks with media as he attends a grand opening of a new Dell Taco in Corona on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)

The Tuesday grand opening of a Del Taco in Corona was more like a reunion.

While the family that owns the franchise was out front getting pictures taken with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, Del Taco’s founder was sitting in the dining room with members of his family.

Ed Hackbarth, 85, was a player in the fast food revolution that started in San Bernardino in the 1950s. His story is intertwined with Taco Bell, Naugles, Wienerschintzel, and Bakers Drive-Thru. And it’s still unfolding.

Hackbarth who lives in Dana Point, said that on Monday he was cleaning tables at Barstow No. 1, one of three Del Tacos in the desert town that he kept when he sold off the chain in the 1970s. The chain got its start in nearby Yermo in 1964, serving travelers on the way to Nevada.

“When I opened my first Del Taco in Yermo, I called it my slot machine because everybody went to Vegas. Now I call all three of them slot machines. I’ve got to keep them going.”

Hackbarth got his start working for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. He bought Bell’s restaurants to start Del Taco.

Hackbarth went on to mentor one of his Yermo employees, Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.

Naugle copied his menu, Hackbarth said.

“I had the foundation, but it was OK,” he said. “I don’t care about competition. It’s just every customer. How do you wait on him?”

In the 1980s, Hackbarth mentored Linda Oldfield, who has known him for 38 years and calls him a humble man. Oldfield heads CJR Restaurants, which owns the Corona franchise.

Oldfield said he has recently been checking on the Corona restaurant nearly every day.

Although Oldfield’s company has five other restaurants in Los Angeles and Orange counties, this one on 2260 Frontage Road was a big deal.

Until four years ago, Oldfield had a Del Taco on the site. It was torn down in the belief that the land would be needed for the 91 Freeway expansion that was completed last year. But the family was able to rebuild five feet from the original footprint.

The new Del Taco is state-of-the-art, said Oldfield’s daughter Janice Vanderwheel, with a longer drive-through, expanded parking lot, bigger dining room, and display case for fresh, hand-prepared produce behind the cash registers.

Del Taco has a long history in Corona. Hackbarth partnered with Naugle on the chain’s first drive-through, built in 1964 on Third Street land owned by Dave Jameson, a member of a local citrus-growing family. Because of Jameson, Del Taco headquarters were in Corona for awhile.

Hackbarth was joined at Corona with sons Jerry and Eugene and Eugene’s wife Priscilla, who all have history with Del Taco. Priscilla brought a yellow headscarf that was part of her uniform as an employee.

“That was my first job,” she said. “When I was 16 I got hired in Montebello. 1978. We wore white pants. We wore a yellow apron, the same color as the headscarf.

“Shortly thereafter my husband started working there, and the rest is history.”

“I’ve got five boys, and three of them married Taco girls,” said Hackbarth. “My story is, were they working, or were they dating?”

Hackbarth lives in Dana Point and commutes two hours when he visits Barstow. He said he kept the area restaurants because it was “a good situation.”

On Monday, he was working the noon hour.

“My first store yesterday had a record hour,” he said. That translates to “a lot of money.”

Fast food history
McDonald’s: First store opened in 1948 at 14th and E streets, San Bernardino.

Taco Bell: Founded in Downey in 1962 by Glen Bell after a number of ventures in San Bernardino, including a hot dog restaurant that branched into tacos.

Del Taco: Founded in Yermo by Ed Hackbarth, who started working for Bell in 1954 and later bought out his restaurants.

Baker’s Drive-Thru: Started by Neal Baker, a friend of Bell’s, and wife Carol in 1952.

Wienerschnitzel: Founded by John Galardi, a protege of Bell, in Wilmington in 1961.