WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

*** biggest lie in real estate ***

NicPaus

Reaction score
The biggest lie in real estate is that your realtor is in your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have worked for and with a lot of realtors. There are some that go above and beyond. Seen it first hand numerous times. That said I usually pass on jobs for realtors unless I have worked with them before. Shady business is very common.

grumpy88

Reaction score

I wish there was a way to like a comment mot then once !

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m gonna take a guess:
You don’t own, you rent from the government and taxes are the rent you pay.

Your house is an asset...for the bank holder. It’s a liability for you until paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCDave

Reaction score
Exactly....except his take on leverage. Leverage is just another bigger landlord that has very little compassion for a borrower

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
I’m gonna take a guess:
You don’t own, you rent from the government and taxes are the rent you pay.

Your house is an asset...for the bank holder. It’s a liability for you until paid off.

Show me on the doll where the realtor touched you?

Lol!
Show me on the doll where the realtor touched you?

Lol!
15682515924211717020252.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Started buying and selling RE in 1973.
I learned from agents I worked with if you use a female agent the better looking she is the worse service, even zero service you’ll get.

What confirmed that is when I was dating if the chick and her GFs were hot and agents all would be an absolute POS.

I don’t shit where I eat so I never asked out an agent I listed or worked on deals with.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score

This! and the 6% Commission. LOL...Remember, your agent is constantly trying to double end a deal. So they have THEIR best interests at heart. My friends that are REA's have so many stories to tell around the campfires. And its all about the sale listings. They tell me they could give a rats ass about Buyers. Because all they do is make them drive you around and waste time. When you get a sale listing, you KNOW its a done deal and the house will eventually sell. Money in the pocket.

Cdog

Reaction score
Started buying and selling RE in 1973.
I learned from agents I worked with if you use a female agent the better looking she is the worse service, even zero service you’ll get.

What confirmed that is when I was dating if the chick and her GFs were hot and agents all would be an absolute POS.

I don’t shit where I eat so I never asked out an agent I listed or worked on deals with.

Rule of thumb. Dont ever work with anyone you want to stick your dick in. You'll fall for their BS every time....

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Word. This doesn’t mean they are a bad realtor, they just want to finish the transaction and get paid.

There are plenty of terrible brokers and agents that give the good ones a bad rap. There are also bad clients that no matter what their broker/agent does for them the client gives them bad press.

It goes both ways.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
This! and the 6% Commission. LOL...Remember, your agent is constantly trying to double end a deal. So they have THEIR best interests at heart. My friends that are REA's have so many stories to tell around the campfires. And its all about the sale listings. They tell me they could give a rats ass about Buyers. Because all they do is make them drive you around and waste time. When you get a sale listing, you KNOW its a done deal and the house will eventually sell. Money in the pocket.

Your friends are assholes. I would not ever let them represent you. You always advocate for your clients in their best interest.

Plenty of people in this business like your asshat friends giving the good people a bad name.

gqchris

Reaction score
Your friends are assholes. I would not ever let them represent you. You always advocate for your clients in their best interest.

Plenty of people in this business like your asshat friends giving the good people a bad name.

Not assholes, just honest. Im sure they are the only ones with those same opinions:rolleyes:

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I could start out saying 6% comm I don’t get .
But all just keep my mouth shut for now
Carry on

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There are plenty of terrible brokers and agents that give the good ones a bad rap. There are also bad clients that no matter what their broker/agent does for them the client gives them bad press.

It goes both ways.

Sure it does. I’m just saying they aren’t doing it for charity. I’m in sales and my goal is to be an advisor and advocate for my clients while spending as much of their budget as I can, and that is where the balance lies.

A Real Estate agent is doing the exact same thing. It is in their best interest to get me to spend that extra $100k on a property and top out my budget so they can net another $3k-$6k on the deal for no extra work.

My point is simply you are responsible for your own best interests and need to manage the service providers you leverage. That includes RE agents, doctors, plumbers, etc.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
Dick Video. Guess I don’t own anything since the IRS can come get everything.

LOL Biggest lie in Real Estate

- “Now is the time to buy” I recall agents on here saying that in 07 when things initially dropped 15%. LOL Unprecedented buying opportunities in Havasu, get in now.

- “ We have a list of people waiting for a house like yours to come on the market” I told the agent, “awesome bring them by, show them the house get a tender offer and I’ll sign a contract with you”. ...LOL crickets every time.

- “ We have a great home inspection and termite guy, very thorough, I’ll get you his number.

Last edited:

Boat 405

Reaction score
Explain to me how most real estate agents add any value to a property? If someone wants to buy a certain house, they buy a certain house. With all the listing websites and information on the internet these days, all they really do is give you access to a house to see it in person. 3% buyer and 3% seller is truly absurd these days with typical home prices well over $500,000. It was relevant when home prices were under $100,000. Please tell me what a real estate agent is going to do in selling a house for $1,000,000? Most homes sell themselves. So you paid your agent to sell your home 3-6% depending if they listed it and found a buyer, or just listed it, or just found a buyer. That's $30,000-$60,000, title and escrow fees are no where near that price.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I’ve often found realtors to be more versed and knowledgeable on the financial portion of a transaction versus the actual property, it’s neighborhood, schools and surroundings.

Cdog

Reaction score
Dick Video. Guess I don’t own anything since the IRS can come get everything.

LOL Biggest lie in Real Estate

- “Now is the time to buy” I recall agents on here saying that in 07 when things initially dropped 15%. LOL Unprecedented buying opportunities in Havasu, get in now.

- “ We have a list of people waiting for a house like yours to come on the market” I told the agent, “awesome bring them by, show them the house get a tender offer and I’ll sign a contract with you”. ...LOL crickets every time.

- “ We have a great home inspection and termite guy, very thorough, I’ll get you his name

HAHA! 2FF is a smart guy with a masters degree in trolling. I'm sure this video was thrown out there for the LOL's.

There are so many schleppers in RE biz it's pathetic. It makes it tough to look in the mirror and realize the guy online lumping you into the "they are all crooks" fell for the hot RE chick's BS or the douche bags sales pitch. All while you were trying to do right by them.

But then again we're taking about the same public who thinks Zillow is on their side.

There should be a mandatory online rule where you have to state what your profession is before you can bash another.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Explain to me how most real estate agents add any value to a property? If someone wants to buy a certain house, they buy a certain house. With all the listing websites and information on the internet these days, all they really do is give you access to a house to see it in person. 3% buyer and 3% seller is truly absurd these days with typical home prices well over $500,000. It was relevant when home prices were under $100,000. Please tell me what a real estate agent is going to do in selling a house for $1,000,000? Most homes sell themselves. So you paid your agent to sell your home 3-6% depending if they listed it and found a buyer, or just listed it, or just found a buyer. That's $30,000-$60,000, title and escrow fees are no where near that price.

LOL this will end well. I agree there is going to be a race to the bottom on this type of stuff though. It is coming.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
My brother has been in the biz for 42 years...insanely great agent. If he has a buyer they sign a buyers agreement with him...he is then working FOR them..but nobody has mentioned the seller pays the fees...the 6% comes from them...so the buyers are not truly represented in a normal transaction..I hope this makes sense.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My brother has been in the biz for 42 years...insanely great agent. If he has a buyer they sign a buyers agreement with him...he is then working FOR them..but nobody has mentioned the seller pays the fees...the 6% comes from them...so the buyers are not truly represented in a normal transaction..I hope this makes sense.
that sound governmental....the money is coming from the guy out bust'n his ass for it.... the house would be 6 % cheeper if not for RE fees....goes something like this... I need to net $****, so all the fees involved go on top...the bottom line is paid by the buyer....so what happens is this... the guy sells his house plus 10 % in fees....the net amount is not enough to buy his own house back....now he come out of pocket to buy the next house... that amount is up 10% from what seller just got.....so now if he tries to sell..same deal...and if he tries to go bak to his first house... the lost is huge....he now is backwards on 3 deals @ 10 % each....not to mention moving all his shit around which is now broken or lost...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I employ over 400 agents...with that being said, I believe that commissions will settle at 2% total in the next 10 years (1% per side). With prices at where they are, and technology where it is at, 5% is too much for most people to swallow.
I remebr back in the day, most RE agents where retired from some other job and did it as a supplement....now...everyone is jumping on the horse...

Magic1

Reaction score

Then you have been dealing with the wrong agents. There is good and bad in everything.

2Driver

Reaction score
HAHA! 2FF is a smart guy with a masters degree in trolling. I'm sure this video was thrown out there for the LOL's.

There are so many schleppers in RE biz it's pathetic. It makes it tough to look in the mirror and realize the guy online lumping you into the "they are all crooks" fell for the hot RE chick's BS or the douche bags sales pitch. All while you were trying to do right by them.

But then again we're taking about the same public who thinks Zillow is on their side.

There should be a mandatory online rule where you have to state what your profession is before you can bash another.

Yeah he’s the master igniter for sure. Ha, what profession doesn’t have the schleps. Ever try to buy the wife jewelry?

RE needs a big disruption so that those that are left are truly in the business as professionals like yourself and flush out the retirees with nothing else to do or ones who failed the cosmetology, and dental hygienist exams.

PaPaG

Reaction score
I personally believe that Realtor and Broker commissions are ridiculously high. A seller paying 6% to someone or a firm to find and handle some paperwork on a 150k house is no biggie, but paying someone 6% on a 500-2 million dollar house is just plan stupid. A buyer also has to pay a higher price because the seller has to make up the commission loss... For Decades they have made amazing amounts of money for a short amount of time that they spend on the average sale, even with higher dollar and a bit difficult sales. They do end up losing a lot of money and time if a sale falls through but that percentage is much lower than sales actually going through if the realtor does their research on their client and ability to purchase. Before I get lambasted by any realtor on RD saying I do not know what is actually involved in selling or buy or what a realtor/broker does, my wife is a broker in both Nevada and California and we have worked many purchases and sales and I know the business very well.

To break it down on average: A broker can sell a property that has no “problems” and have no more than 20–25 work-hours into it. This counts some driving time, research time, photography coordination, staging consultation, correspondence with the clients, escrow coordination, phone consultations, negotiations, document drafting, obtaining signatures, coordinating disclosures, scheduling and attending home inspections, repair requests, appraisal issues, pest control reports, etc. etc. An experienced broker / agent can avoid a lot of missteps and unnecessary trips to the subject property by working smart and anticipating problem-issues before they come up.

A buyer’s agent can get the job done in 20 work-hours as well (for normal full service), provided the buyer knows: 1- what they want, 2- what they can afford / want to pay, 3-where they want to be approximately, 4- provided there is acceptable inventory available, and 5- the property has relatively few issues with it.

That said, I believe anyone in America should be able to make as much money as legally and honorably possible but the 6% rate is crazy...shop around and demand a lower rate or move on...even better, educate yourself in the process and look for the broker that is listing the home that you may be interested in and then approach them and negotiate a lessor commission as they often do of 3% or less percentage.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Since you guys dislike realtors so much.

Little story Lol.

Rehabbing a unit in Redondo for her and She buys all new door knobs and light fixtures and has them sitting on the counter. She mentions since the painters took off the others to paint just have them put these ones back on. I made her a invoice for $200 for the knobs and $100 a light fixture. She shows up and gets pissed off that it is extra as they were already removed for painting jumps down the flight of stairs and starts screaming and crying that she needs a ambulance and the material stacked by the stairs was unsafe and she tripped cause of it. Painters are looking like wtf do we do. I am trying to ask her if she is alright while she is calling her BF. Finally I tell her we will put the knobs on and swap the fixtures no charge. She gets up like nothing happened and says ok I am fine and she leaves. About 10 minutes later the BF shows up trying to fight me. Painters are looking at both of us like WTF is going on and we tried explaining to him but he just split. We put back the old knobs and fixtures and left the new on the counter. It was battle to get paid but finally did thanks to my customer that referred her. Got many more realtor stories but never anything like that one. Since then I stick with the realtors that I have been working with for years. Main one is going on over 15 years working together.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

Having dealt with you personally when I was considering moving to Phoenix I have to say you’re one of the few good guys in the biz.

Sadly, you’re the exception and not the rule when it comes to agents. The industry would have a much better reputation if there were more folks like you working in it.

If anyone on this forum is looking for RE in the Phoenix metro area Cory is the guy to call.

Cdog

Reaction score
Having dealt with you personally when I was considering moving to Phoenix I have to say you’re one of the few good guys in the biz.

Sadly, you’re the exception and not the rule when it comes to agents. The industry would have a much better reputation if there were more folks like you working in it.

If anyone on this forum is looking for RE in the Phoenix metro area Cory is the guy the to go to.

I appreciate that.

Cheers!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Just bought a place in LV and all was handled by email. Our agent did exactly what he said and spent a ton of time as we were out of state buyers not knowing exactly what we were looking for.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I was very, very lucky when I met an agent out of Bullhead City.. We met at dinner at the Laughlin Tropicana Veterans free buffet night.. I briefly skirted around my dealings with Clayton Homes and Vanderbilt Mortgage.. (both owned/controlled by Buffet). I was trapped in a 11.5% loan because Clayton neglected to "affix" the single wide to the dirt, changing it from "personal Property, (registered with the MVD), to Real Estate. No one would touch a refi without the "Affixture"... Long story shorter, he found me a lender, Wells Fargo Mortgage, that would do the deal without the Title from Vanderbilt, (they wouldn't release the title until it was paid off in full, not even to the escrow company), "To Come" as escrow was closing. That, and that alone got me out from under that 11.5% and into a 4.5% "Affixed, real estate loan", very much against Vanderbilt that had done everything they could to prevent the Refi. AND for his trouble, Eliot Finklestien got NOTHING. No fees, no charges, nothing but a lifelong indebted friend in me.... He is a "Realtor's Realtor" who really knows his real estate shit and always looking to learn more...

Oh, yeah, about Idaho, I can personally vouch for the "Lou" family. Ol' Rattle Can and his family are "ACES" all around... "If he says something you might not believe, just ask him , he'll tell you again"...
I'd be happy to hook up anyone looking for Real Estate in the Bullhead area with Eliot, he, IMO, is the best....
Ray

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Its been a while since we had a good bashing thread for an entire profession.

Lets see if we can summarize:

Unions suck
Car Dealers suck
Accountants suck
Realtors/brokers suck
Cops suck
hose-draggers suck
RD SUX

who else?

Last edited:

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Hey, Engine builders don't ALL suck.... Now bankers, yeah maybe... The icing on the cake is when a Banker needs his engine rebuilt!!!! Just keep your tools on a wire from the bench, like pens in the bank...
Ray

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've given up on agents. Just sold some building lots myself. It was easy, just needed my lawyer to do the contracts.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I'm sitting here reading this thread and somethings become apparent right off the bat.

There's kind of two schools of thought with some of these responses..

1. There's a lot of bad RE agents out there.

2. What people "feel" someone should get paid for their efforts.

I'll give my thoughts on both... Starting with #1, there is virtually no question that the vast majority (and I mean vast in my limited experience) are out there just to put shit in escrow. They do not fight for their clients interests, they literally only care about getting things in escrow and then pop the champagne bottle when it closes.

I got my RE license a year or so ago with the intention of going to work for the Riviera when I got it. If that project had popped like originally anticipated it was going to be a waterfall of money, and I wanted to make damn sure I was under the waterfall in some capacity with my bucket out. That said I was to be a "buying agent" for the Riviera so in effect I would work for the potential home owners coming to the project. In that dynamic my interests were actually opposed to the Riviera project itself. I brought a potential buyer to the project. I was extremely "green" (still am) to the RE world, and I was extremely forthright and honest about it through the whole process.

That level of honesty & integrity parlayed into me ending up purchasing some lots around LHC for that same original potential buyer for the Riviera. They are one of the larger home builders in AZ and I got an opportunity to work with a guy named Steve. Steve sent me out to find lots for them and we had the conversation that was basically in this thread.. RE Agents are just interested in putting things in Escrow.

I went into purchasing every single one of those lots like it was my money and I wanted to hold onto every nickel of it. I have purchased 5-6 lots for them and each one my jaw was on the floor when the agents would say "Yes I think I can make that happen." In most of the transactions they didn't even try to fight for their clients interests..

So I made 2-3% on those 5-6 lots. I also spent days with my truck idling / driving the whole time to make 4-6K in a month. It was a great learning experience, and I really enjoyed the lot hunting.. That said that wouldn't even come close to paying the bills around here. The upside and the thing that made it worth it was you get the lot, you are gonna get to sell that house at the end of the build as well. (Which I will get into in the next post)

This is going to again morph into portion # 2. (Of this post)

What someone "should get" paid is an odd concept to me. RE agents are not all created = nor are they all worth the same amount of money. The fact that there is industry "standards" in the field and a lot of bad agents is where I suspect a lot of the frustration comes from.

You get these guys that talk you into a lowball price just to sell it in one day.. sometimes for "over asking." I'm not really sure they put the effort into that situation or advised their clients into the best price point. Not saying that's true in all cases because CA is freakin nuts.. but why not list it higher and see what happens?

Why not sell it like it was your own?

RD

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Part #2.

Someone asked earlier how does a RE agent add value to the home. To answer that question you have to break it down to what is their actual job?

A Listing Agents job is to “market” the property.

Seems easy enough right? Anyone not in that biz will say “put it on the mls and sit and wait”. I was of that school of thought four years ago.. Before I learned what actually is involved with “doing it” versus “doing it right.”

How can a listing agent add value? Short answer is “marketing”.

How powerful is their network? Are they advertising the home in other avenues? Are they working the house as an open house consistently? What are they doing to get that house in front of other RE agents so that it can be put in front of their networks?

A Buying Agent

A buying agents job is to go find a property that fits your needs and in theory (if they are good) help guide your needs. They are also there to help steer you away from some of the pitfalls that normal people would have no idea about.

Some of those things could be riparian water rights, easements, title issues.. There are literally hundreds of things that most people wouldn’t know about. Hell in a lot of instances some of the RE agents might not know it all where in comes “The broker”.

That agent should go through the fields of houses and narrow them down to a few that meet the qualifications.. Advise against the pitfalls, and negotiate the best terms possible for their client.

Now the deal starts -

Invariably there’s going to be shady people (& agents) our there that try to change the terms of a deal.. Maybe don’t disclose everything etc..

On both sides of the isle your RE Agent should be representing YOU.

Didn’t disclose that roof leak? What about that “prescriptive easement” (that actually happened to me or at least they tried too). There’s a million things that fall into this. Now either the negotiations start or the deal is dead etc.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In this thread there’s a lot of skepticism and a lot of negativity, so here’s maybe a different approach you can take..

Before you go listing or hunting with one why not ask them “What are you going to do for me? How are you planning to sell my home?” “What separates you from the other 700 RE agents in Havasu alone?” (Or in California the thousands in each city).

franky

Reaction score
FROM DAVE: "You get these guys that talk you into a lowball price just to sell it in one day.. sometimes for "over asking." I'm not really sure they put the effort into that situation or advised their clients into the best price point. Not saying that's true in all cases because CA is freakin nuts.. but why not list it higher and see what happens?'

Conversely there is just the opposite. Example: I have seen my wife go to a listing meeting well prepared with comps, market info etc and tell that person what she, as a seasoned RE professional, thinks they can really sell their property for just to have another realtor swoop in and list it for whatever the pie in the sky number the seller has in mind. They do it just to get the listing and a sign on the property. Then the property sits for 4-6 months just to end up selling for EXACTLY what she suggested they list it for. I have seen this 3-4 times. Dave, your buddy Tim is a good example.

I also get to, more often than not, watch her do the work that the other side of the deal's realtor should be doing. She does this just to make the deal go smoothly, all of the paperwork is correct and legal and the deal closes. As discussed, most realtors make the sale and you never hear from them until they are looking for their check the day escrow closes. It is sad. She answers her phone whenever it rings NO MATTER WHAT and I give her shit when other realtors don't answer and dont return phone calls.

When I moved to LHC in 2001 and started building houses I burned through 4 realtors in 3 years because they just cant listen to their client (me), always know better and cant follow simple instructions. I told my wife to get her license and it has worked out great. She saw the issues first hand and ended up becoming the President of the Arizona Association of Realtors (2018) fighting for RE policy and property owners rights at both the State and National level.