WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

26 Bayliner Rendezvous, your help please

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
My brother is kicking around the idea of picking this up. It's a 26 Bayliner rendezvous with a Merc 150 outboard. It's in Havasu. Guy is asking 16k. Seems over priced to me but I don't know anything about these boats. Owner claims it will run close to 40mph when light on cargo & fuel, seems optimistic.
Anyone know anything about these? ALL thoughts, suggestions, etc are appreciated. My brother would use it around Phoenix at local lakes to get dogs, kids, etc to the beaches with the occasional tubing duties.
95153.jpeg
95170.jpeg

Motor Boater

Reaction score
He needs to take it on a test ride. My buddy had one and that thing would flex like crazy going over waves. It felt like you were riding in a rubber boat. His was pretty beat up so maybe this one has been taken care of but that’s my only experience with these boats.

gqchris

Reaction score
Overpriced. But this Market is way stupid right now.

My buddy has 3 of those. I like em. They are great to go and party and not worry about anything. Never felt flex in his. He even had Merc race motor on one. LOL..We called him TEAM B.O.R.E.D, BaylinerOffshoreRacingEngineeringDesign lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I have a Bayliner ( Trophy bass boat). Bayliner interiors are historically crap. The electrical system can best be described as random. And as said are typically laid up very light. Wood screws driven into fiberglass that work their way out.
That being said, they are what they are, and I use the crap out of mine and don't worry about it.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I have seen a few of these and like them. Thwy are a price point boat and they definately fill a market. The 150 seem small for that boat but if it is good shape the price seems fair.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I have a Bayliner ( Trophy bass boat). Bayliner interiors are historically crap. The electrical system can best be described as random. And as said are typically laid up very light. Wood screws driven into fiberglass that work their way out.
That being said, they are what they are, and I use the crap out of mine and don't worry about it.

Exactly what he needs to hear & how he would use it. Boat might get wiped down @ end of weekend, might not.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
2165EF64-5AD6-4C2B-8A13-72D7BB0A08DE.jpeg
We have a Rendevous that we use to take out friends/kids to party for the day. They’re great as I don’t get stressed if it gets dirty inside, spilled beer or whatever. Just hose it down when your done for the day and call it good. (Full Fiberglass floor) 40mph with a 150hp 2 stroke??? I seriously doubt that, they’re heavy ass boats and built like a tank. Mine does 45mph max with 2 people, no gear, and 1/2 tank gas with a Yamaha 250 VMax SHO.

If the hull is flexing like someone was mentioned then run like hell. Mine is rock solid. For some reason Bayliner actually built these hulls like brick houses, not typical for them, lol

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
How heavy are they? He was told 3300lbs but that seems very low. Will 1/2 ton pull it to local Phoenix lakes?
Thanks again for all the help

Tank

Reaction score
View attachment 797090 We have a Rendevous that we use to take out friends/kids to party for the day. They’re great as I don’t get stressed if it gets dirty inside, spilled beer or whatever. Just hose it down when your done for the day and call it good. (Full Fiberglass floor) 40mph with a 150hp 2 stroke??? I seriously doubt that, they’re heavy ass boats and built like a tank. Mine does 45mph max with 2 people, no gear, and 1/2 tank gas with a Yamaha 250 VMax SHO.

If the hull is flexing like someone was mentioning then run like hell. Mine is rock solid. For some reason Bayliner actually built these hulls like brick houses, not typical for them, lol
Damn, that thing is actually really nice!!

spectras only

Reaction score
Bayliners are laid up with chopper guns up to 32 foot models with hull thickness varied here and there. Using a Bayliner in the ocean or in rough water .lakes, re-tightening every screws after every trip is mandatory.:eek:But, you never hear of blisters/osmosis about their gelcoat, which is good. I think this one priced fairly, compared to what a similar size toon costs nowadays.;) The one HB2havasu has is very nice and I'd have one vs a pontoon.:) If the boat flexes, I'd check the stringers and floor for sure.

Weight is 4300 lbs with standard engine, beam is 8.5, 8.6 with optional trailer.Easily towed by a 1/2 ton.

https://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/1998-Rendezvous-Brochure-Pages.pdf

Last edited:

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
If that's the actual boat and trailer, that trailer is ready to fold up or is it just me ?

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
If that's the actual boat and trailer, that trailer is ready to fold up or is it just me ?

I didn't notice that but wow. The tongue and back do look way higher than right under the bow. Yikes!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

Yeah the trailers that came with these boats are pretty wimpy. I had Shadow Trailers reinforce mine and put on actual trailer tires & fenders, not the golf cart ones they originally came with, lol.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I fully agree the trailer looks scary. Boat is 1996, owner says it runs perfectly. Obviously would want a mechanic to go over the motor etc.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Yeah the trailers that came with these boats are pretty wimpy. I had Shadow Trailers reinforce mine and put on actual trailer tires & fenders, not the golf cart ones they originally came with, lol.

What does all that cost in ball park figures and what had to be added to overcome weaknessses?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Get all the information you can then run it thru the NADA guide. I just did a basic quote for a 96 and got $ 10,000 to $ 12,500.00 for a value.

The NADA is only good for a baseline, in the end your brother needs to decide what it's worth to him.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Get all the information you can then run it thru the NADA guide. I just did a basic quote for a 96 and got $ 10,000 to $ 12,500.00 for a value.

The NADA is only good for a baseline, in the end your brother needs to decide what it's worth to him.

I agree 100%
This would be a 2nd boat for him. He has an old Nautique that he loves.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What does all that cost in ball park figures and what had to be added to overcome weaknessses?

I had them do a full refurb, repaint, rewire on mine. It was around 5K if I remember, but it's basically a new trailer now. I had them add 2"x5" Rectangular Tubing approx. every 4' along the trailer between the two main frame sections. Also had them completely remake the side supports on the inside of the sponsons as they were poorly designed and bending like tacos. :p

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
From 2011 on Bayliner and Trophy hulls were made/laid by Sea Ray and Boston Whaler to their quality spec.
Bayliner factories closed and sold off or bulldozed.

Might be why some on here have more solid hulls than others. Huge improvement. Very good hulls.
The rigging and electrical was improved too.

Some models the improved hulls and rigging started even sooner.
Models with petty plane-ing issues got bottom tweeks to eliminate that.

You can search and some You Tubes may be still be up showing the Sea Ray factory building them. No “chopper guns” just hand laid glass. Thats why they all got heavier.

Mercury products got lots of serious quality improvements that year too. Especially the Bravos weak points. Rand the hell outta my bravos never an issue. That’s what I said, rand. Hell, randed.

All that news and info got lost in the economy crashing.
I mentioned it in threads but no one wanted to hear it. But, if you remember I got all the girls got those cool free Mercury sweatshirts.

Last edited:

707dog

Reaction score
tell your bro keep looking summer is not quite over yet and winter time is approaching. so by the time he updates /fixes the issues with the trailer/ boat and plus anything else to his likings he is spending 18- 20k, that 150 ain't pushing that tank to no 40 mph either add a load and he will want to sink by it the end of the weekend.

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Great info, thx guys. He has a dog that doesn't jump well. How far off the beach is the deck?

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Great info, thx guys. He has a dog that doesn't jump well. How far off the beach is the deck?

I don't know the exact is measurement, I would say around knee high or a couple of inches higher..

13575835_10207901625872259_1867279973352050940_o.jpg

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
If it floats it is a 1990's tribal steal