WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gold & Silver...

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
TV ads... Buy silver at record low prices TODAY.... Same for Gold..Record low prices. "Experts say the value could double if it goes back to it's all time high!!" Help me understand this please. Lets say I have a large cashe of silver I bought a while back.... I'm sitting on it at an "all time record low" so I want to sell it??? If it's truly going "back to an all time high", wouldn't I want to wait until then to sell it?? Just more bullshit to bait the consumers, right?? I have a couple of silver dollars, (3), and some Kennedy .50, and silver .25...10.... They just sit there in a drawer for my Aires to fight over when I kick it....Oh, and two $2.00 bills!!!!! So, from an experts point of view, are you rushing out to buy Silver and/or Gold today???
Ray

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
There's plenty of silver in the world. Prices go up and the mines kick out more. Gold is a bit more scarce, but not that scarce. Prices go up, then just mine out more. A better hedge than diamonds.

If everything goes to hell and the economy collapses I suppose a bunch of 1 oz silver bars might help you get through the crisis. But odds on that are pretty damn low.

I have a bit of each stashed away, but it isn't part of my retirement plan.

BajaT

Reaction score
Trade deal doesn't happen and or Trump loses, back up it will go. In at 14/ ounce last year. Was at 19.5 last week....

silver.jpg

Foscheck

Reaction score
There's plenty of silver in the world. Prices go up and the mines kick out more. Gold is a bit more scarce, but not that scarce. Prices go up, then just mine out more. A better hedge than diamonds.

If everything goes to hell and the economy collapses I suppose a bunch of 1 oz silver bars might help you get through the crisis. But odds on that are pretty damn low.

Completely agree with Mandelon. Another advantage is the lack of traceability. Both will always have value, but not reported like stocks, real estate, or large bank transactions.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I'm in Silver. I got out of Gold when it made the big run. Now, the way I see it, Silver has much more room to run, than does Gold. Traditionally, the Gold/Silver pricing ratio has been anywhere from 45-60:1. Today its 83:1. If the ratio simply returns to historic norms, Silver would go to 25-34.00 per ounce. Doubling your investment in Silver looks much more realistic than does Gold.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

But the cost of mining is in the ~20.00 per oz range.

Last edited:

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I like both gold and silver, and invest in both.

I only buy 1996 silver eagle coins any more, but have a nice collection of Morgan and peace dollars.

The problem with silver is you can quickly own “your weight” in silver, and still not have enough to buy a new truck. On the other hand, if you own “your weight” in gold, you have enough to retire.

Last edited:

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Doubling your investment in Silver looks much more realistic than does Gold.
That's my question. If it's going to double why would those that have it, want to sell it now??? Seems as though if it's such a good investment they would hold out until the price/value went waaaay up...
Ray

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i have quite a bit of silver over the years. i was excited when it hit 19's.

WYRD

Reaction score
I've got some silver. In at 15-18ish watched it run up to nearly 50, thought about selling, blinked and missed the slide back to 15ish....been there ever since

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That's my question. If it's going to double why would those that have it, want to sell it now??? Seems as though if it's such a good investment they would hold out until the price/value went waaaay up...
Ray

Agree. In my opinion, ya gotta pick a trigger price. When it hits, get out regardless. I picked a trigger on 1200.00 on Gold. When it ran up, we were at Alamo Lake over Thanksgiving. We went home, sold it that Monday. It ran to over 1900.00 IIRC. But, you never know that looking forward.

My silver trigger is 40.00. I missed the last run up.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Where is the easiest place to buy it?

Find a local precious metal dealer. I would never buy it on-line. Make some calls, they all charge different brokerage fee's. (commission) Where are you?

senorpdog

Reaction score
Find a local precious metal dealer. I would never buy it on-line. Make some calls, they all charge different brokerage fee's. (commission) Where are you?

Riverside,Ca

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Why?

I’ve been buying silver eagles from JM Bullion online for years...free shipping too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Why?

I’ve been buying silver eagles from JM Bullion online for years...free shipping too.

That's where I've been buying it from. Started buying it around 2014 and took advantage of their "first 10 oz @ spot" promo and bought 30 oz. Been buying their silvertowne prospector and Eagle bars ever since.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Why?

I see it as no different than shipping cash money. I can get in my pick-up, go down to American Precious Metals and pick it up. Call me old fashion. :cool:

hallett21

Reaction score
Why?

Usually a good dealer has a better spot price than the online dealers. Like anything, depends on who you’re dealing with.

You know like a good realtor [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I'm clearly no expert but the way I see both gold and silver is they are both nothing more than any other commodity. If your wanting to own them as a hedge against currency or armageddon the commodities I see more useful/valuable are things like beans, bullets and guns.:D
Hard to protect yourself, or feed yourself with gold or silver.
I'm sure they can be a fun gamble though.:D

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I'm clearly no expert but the way I see both gold and silver is they are both nothing more than any other commodity. If your wanting to own them as a hedge against currency or armageddon the commodities I see more useful/valuable are things like beans, bullets and guns.:D
Hard to protect yourself, or feed yourself with gold or silver.
I'm sure they can be a fun gamble though.:D
They sell .45cal silver bullets. ;)

Xring01

Reaction score
Value

Supply/ Demand

What dictates the value of most things. Supply and demand....

Demand for gold, is not that high, but it has a high relative value, based on past transactions...

Past, History,,, gold had a high value because economy's based there currency's on the backing of gold reserves. But thats ancient history...

Name one currency that is 100% backed by gold today...

You cant...

So please explain why it deserves or justify its value today...

Why, because alot of scared people perceive its a safe place to hedge against a down economy.

If gold truly tracked the dollar, and the dollar has devalued significantly over the last 10- 15 years... gold should be $5000/ oz or more... but its not... hummmm

If gold doesnt track the dollars relative strength or weakness... then its all about the perception of risk mitigation.

Maybe I am on to something...

Investing in gold is not a wise idea IMHO.., its primary value is based in jewelry... there is only so much a person needs or wants.. commercially, its to expensive, and other metals are more cost effective, reducing its demand...

Remember, supply vs demand...

Silver has a far superior commercial economic model, combined with jewelry.... I would consider it, if I thought the dollar would fail..

I cant go to starbucks, and buy coffee, with a 6oz bar of silver... yes it has value, but its not a currency..

Copper, thats a metal with huge demand, and is totally undervalued, primarily due to cChina trade tactics...until that changes, copper will remain depressed, but could easily double in value....

Can gold or silver double in value in a short period of time... not likely, copper
Has a true potential

Why invest in gold or silver, when there are fare more interesting a d profitable natural reserves...

Copper, Lithium, graphite....

If your gonna invest in anything

Research,,, due diligence or your probably gonna lose.

I own none of the above at the moment...

Because I believe stocks have a higher ROI to Risk at the moment...over natural resources...

But thats my opinion, it can change overnight pending global economics, trade wars.. or wars

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Value

Supply/ Demand

What dictates the value of most things. Supply and demand....

Demand for gold, is not that high, but it has a high relative value, based on past transactions...

Past, History,,, gold had a high value because economy's based there currency's on the backing of gold reserves. But thats ancient history...

Name one currency that is 100% backed by gold today...

You cant...

So please explain why it deserves or justify its value today...

Why, because alot of scared people perceive its a safe place to hedge against a down economy.

If gold truly tracked the dollar, and the dollar has devalued significantly over the last 10- 15 years... gold should be $5000/ oz or more... but its not... hummmm

If gold doesnt track the dollars relative strength or weakness... then its all about the perception of risk mitigation.

Maybe I am on to something...

Investing in gold is not a wise idea IMHO.., its primary value is based in jewelry... there is only so much a person needs or wants.. commercially, its to expensive, and other metals are more cost effective, reducing its demand...

Remember, supply vs demand...

Silver has a far superior commercial economic model, combined with jewelry.... I would consider it, if I thought the dollar would fail..

I cant go to starbucks, and buy coffee, with a 6oz bar of silver... yes it has value, but its not a currency..

Copper, thats a metal with huge demand, and is totally undervalued, primarily due to cChina trade tactics...until that changes, copper will remain depressed, but could easily double in value....

Can gold or silver double in value in a short period of time... not likely, copper
Has a true potential

Why invest in gold or silver, when there are fare more interesting a d profitable natural reserves...

Copper, Lithium, graphite....

If your gonna invest in anything

Research,,, due diligence or your probably gonna lose.

I own none of the above at the moment...

Because I believe stocks have a higher ROI to Risk at the moment...over natural resources...

But thats my opinion, it can change overnight pending global economics, trade wars.. or wars

What’s the ROI for gold over the last 100 years?

Enen

Reaction score
I was an active trader in Gold and Silver. Built a company in Phoenix in 2008, by the end of 2010 we were over 110m in annual sales. We were the first company that had a method for people to use a self-directed IRA with the ability to take physical possession of their metals when they purchased. Was the right deal at the right time.
I still have active wholesale accounts, and have thought about trading precious metals again. Currently I am not an active trader, but keep up on the markets. Happy to offer opinions or advice if you think it would be of any benefit to you.

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I was an active trader in Gold and Silver. Built a company in Phoenix in 2008, by the end of 2010 we were over 110m in annual sales. We were the first company that had a method for people to use a self-directed IRA with the ability to take physical possession of their metals when they purchased. Was the right deal at the right time.
I still have active wholesale accounts, and have thought about trading precious metals again. Currently I am not an active trader, but keep up on the markets. Happy to offer opinions or advice if you think it would be of any benefit to you.
Interesting that you state that you WERE an active Trader but yet you don't say whether you held/hold any yourself.
No offense intended but,
Drug dealers use that very business model. Sell, profit yet most don't participate in the product they sell.
Capitalism at work.
LOL :D

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Interesting that you WERE and active Trader but yet you don't say whether you held/hold and yourself.
No offense intended but,
Drug dealers use that very business model. Sell, profit yet most don't participate in the product they sell.
Capitalism at work.
LOL :D

Sound like the equipment rental business. :D

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Sound like the equipment rental business. :D
LMAO

Similar at times yet still different !

Don't believe me, ask any equipment guy how many times he has used the equipment he pimps.:D

Nice new Avatar you have there by the way! :D

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
LMAO

Similar at times yet still different !

Don't believe me, ask any equipment guy how many times he has used the equipment he pimps.:D

Nice new Avatar you have there by the way! :D

Come by tomorrow, we'll go for a ride.

Xring01

Reaction score
What’s the ROI for gold over the last 100 years?

And what was the price of a corn, whiskey, wagon wheels.... musket ammo... gun powder,
Thanks for giving me more details that give credence to my assessment.

I took the time, to mentioned why gold had value in the past... because economys had the gold standard.. 100 years ago.. meaning a dollar, was backed by gold assets...

Those days are long gone now... so why does gold have the value it has today... I gave very specific reasons, why I believe its way over valued... you gave nothing on why its under valued or properly valued...

If you want to invest, jump in, put your entire 401k all in... and lets talk again in 5 years...

Global economics are proving gold is no longer the gold standard. If it was, then why does Bitcoin have a higher value than gold... its data... and records of data...

If Bitcoin is worth $8000, doesnt weigh anything, easily transferreed.. doesnt cost much to create...

Then Gold should be $80,000 in relative value to Bitcoin..because it can cost $600- $800/ oz to mine.... and its rare...

See where I am going... perceived value, those who dont stay up with current global economics, can be easily manipulated by used car salesman TV adds, that are directed at the 65 and older crowd...

How many Gen Xs have more 1-10% of there retirement in Gold, how many baby boomers...alot more than Xers
Millennials dont give a shit about gold.. all they care about is there planned trip to New Zealand, then Thailand, with a back pack...

As you can see the older a person gets, the easier it is to talk them into gold...

Younger peeps arent falling for that... so I just pointed out a key reason why demand for gold is shrinking, not increasing...

Supply —- demand = current market value..

if you think the demand will drop on any investment, why would you risk your hard earned $$$..

I dont own gold, nor silver, or copper, or bitcoin, wagon wheels, or musket ammo...

Just shedding some light on other thought process.s

Will the price of gold go up in the future, Yes i think it will, but so will a 2x4, gallon of milk and a lb of beef...

Is it a good investment in my opinion... Hell No.

Those of you who think gold is the investment of the future...
Should also consider crude Oil... ( that’s sarcasm for those who cant figure it out)

Reason why its sarcasm, is the demand for oil is droping significantly... if the demand is dropping, what do think is going to happen to its price in the future...

Only one reason why oil prices will go up... Market Manipulation buy big governments..why because we are producing more than we consume at the moment... and electric cars dont use much oil... as more E Cars enter the market... a chain reaction occurs.

What will the middle east look like in 40 years... there only resources are camels, goats, sand, and oil....

What happens to any economy when your annual budget shrinks to 10% of what it used to be...

Venezuala today, will be a paradise compared to most middle eastern countries in 40 years from now

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
What will the middle east look like in 40 years... there only resources are camels, goats, sand, and oil....

Venezuala today, will be a paradise compared to most middle eastern countries in 40 years from now
Someone could help the middle east make glass.........