WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Respecting your elders

Andy B.

Reaction score
I was taught that from day one don't see it much anymore but when I do I tell the kids your parents brought you up right and the usual response "Thank you sir" I just walk away with a smile..............

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Most of our friends have raised nice children and the saying "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" applies.
Generally quality people beget quality kids.
The same personality traits that attracted their parents to us as friends usually get passed down.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I love the south because of this...most kids we know address the wife and I as Miss Shannon and Mister Pronstar [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My father in law had to have a discussion with me to stop calling him "sir"

With that being said, respect can be lost. When I worked at the hotel I had some old people demanding a senior discount. In my head I was saying, what part of the fact that you haven't died for 70+ years makes you deserve a discount? I didn't call him sir, he lost my respect.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I taught my kids to say yes sir and yes mam at a very young age.

They still do it.

:)

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Respect never goes out of style as far as I know.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
People are generally shocked when they meet my children. They tend to be well mannered, quiet and respectful towards others, both young and old. I tend to attribute those traits to my wife. I hope they continue this way.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
So your wife is with you because? Don't sell yourself short bubba.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
So your wife is with you because? Don't sell yourself short bubba.
Well, it isn't my vast wealth, family pedigree or chipper attitude...so it must be my stunning good looks:p

Honestly, I have no idea why she's with me. Glad she is, and happy we have good kids...regardless of how that occurred;)

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I love the south because of this...most kids we know address the wife and I as Miss Shannon and Mister Pronstar [emoji4]

Kind of curious. Do the kids you know hang out here on RDP and know your screen name or is your name really pronstar?

nrbr

Reaction score
Respect is earned. Plenty of stupid disrespectful old people that dont deserve it

farmo83

Reaction score
I always start by showing respect. Weather the other person keeps it is up to them at any age.

rrrr

Reaction score
I taught my kids to say yes sir and yes mam at a very young age.

They still do it.

:)

My grandson is 11. His dad, my son, is a complete fuckup and loser. I quit speaking to him six months ago, finally unwilling to put up with his bullshit any further.

His mom is a different story. She got a nursing degree when she was 23, and works hard at her well paying job. I can't begin to tell you what a great parent she is. She has made my grandson into a polite and disciplined kid. He does his homework without being told, gets good grades, and stays out of trouble. If he's misbehaving, a few words from her stops it.

I am so proud of both of them. He says 'please' and 'thank you' without any prompting. It's automatic, and an example of his mom's efforts to raise him properly.

Cdog

Reaction score
I teach my kids the same and am often complemented on their manners. When we go out to eat they are to order their own meal and look the staff in the eye with a "may I please order" and "Thank you". When someone speaks to you, give them the attention and respect they deserve or you won't get it either I tell them.

We pick up a neighbored girl who is on swim team with my daughter once or twice a week. They have a pony gate to enter the patio to the front door. My daughter closed it the way she found it when she left there earlier this week. That's how you know you're making a difference. When you no longer have to remind them. I let her know what she did right.

That said I see so many "elders" who are piss poor example slobs these days. Many deserve 0 respect for being selfish assholes. Boomers are much different than my grandparents Gen.

9b5129ec-f4dc-48de-9ab1-5ba524d98059.jpg

renodaytona

Reaction score
Most kids these days don't even make eye contact with people. They need to watch karate kid, "always look eye" . My son that is 20 and my daughter that is 7 are both very respectful and always say please, thank you and you're welcome.