WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swimming pool skimmer surprise

caribbean20

Reaction score
Whenever we keep the cover off, I cringe when cleaning the skimmer. We back to an open space just outside Boulder, CO and see all sorts of critters. I’m leaving for a few days and asked wife, cover open or closed? She says open. I’ve never really told her about half the crap I’ve pulled outta that skimmer.

This morning it was 2 frogs and a small snake before I headed off to DIA. I told her this time and CLOSED GOES THE COVER:)

What interesting stuff have you guys seen?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Whenever we keep the cover off, I cringe when cleaning the skimmer. We back to an open space just outside Boulder, CO and see all sorts of critters. I’m leaving for a few days and asked wife, cover open or closed? She says open. I’ve never really told her about half the crap I’ve pulled outta that skimmer.

This morning it was 2 frogs and a small snake before I headed off to DIA. I told her this time and CLOSED GOES THE COVER:)

What interesting stuff have you guys seen?

Make sure to always knock on the skimmer cover before opening. I’ve found several snakes in the desert pool.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I pulled a small tarantula out of my pool yesterday.

A while back we had a mole digging up the grass. One day I found it in the pool clinging to the skimmer tube. I relocated it and haven't had a mole since. Pool ended up being the best (and most expensive) mole trap I've ever seen.

OC Mike

Reaction score
Rabbits, birds, mice, lizards..
i’ve Owned 4 homes, all with pools.
I’m done with pools.
But the Wife...............

She likes looking at the water.
Add up all the costs, a very expensive decoration.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Make sure to always knock on the skimmer cover before opening. I’ve found several snakes in the desert pool.
Good call on that one. Never really thought to do that. Would hate to see a rattler coiled up in there.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Rabbits, birds, mice, lizards..
i’ve Owned 4 homes, all with pools.
I’m done with pools.
But the Wife...............

She likes looking at the water.
Add up all the costs, a very expensive decoration.
Ah yes, hot tubs and pools. If they only knew the cost and effort/hour of use.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Rabbit in a commercial spa. Tampons, 1/2 set of dentures, lots of other DNA...lol

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Our old place in the SF Bay Area had a huge pool, like 20 x 40 with a diving board, etc. shit used to jump off the board into the pool kamakize style. Before we sold the place I re-sodded the lawn about 4’ from the pool. It was late in the season and we got a pretty good rain storm for a couple days. I could see some shit in the pool but thought it was from the trees, turned out to be thousands of earth worms coming out of the lawn, across the 4’ pool walkway and the bastards went right into the pool. Soo much fun!

Pools, their great when their someone else’s! Years ago my buddy told me don’t do it, it’ll be fun for the first couple years then just a shit ton of work. It was great when the kids were young but after that...

OC Mike

Reaction score
Pools, their great when their someone else’s! Years ago my buddy told me don’t do it, it’ll be fun for the first couple years then just a shit ton of work. It was great when the kids were young but after that...

Absolutely and Well said.....

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Very small rabbits and mice. More rabbits this year than ever before. Guessing the wet winter gave rise to their larger than usual population. Pools are some work. But, I can't even imagine living in LHC without one.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Haven't found anything in ours lately other than cracks.:mad::mad::mad: I'm looking at two skimmer replacements. Fuck:mad:

DWC

Reaction score
That's what they say about boats as well. I have a pool and I pay a pool guy to handle it, but I did hate it until the pool guy.

Couldn’t agree more. Took care of ours and pretty much butchered it. Hired a guy and its been awesome

rrrr

Reaction score
Found a rat at the bottom last week.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Lizards, mice, birds, snakes, and and a live rabbit once

Reactions: DWC

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
A lot of drowned rats.
A live baby skunk.
Many lizards.
Drowned moles.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I did rescue a lizard out of the pool the other day....twice in one day, pretty sure it was the same one.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Lizards, mice, a rat, grasshoppers, bugs. I dump in extra chlorine after. We have a full motorized cover too...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Speaking of skimmer surprises, I opened the cover to my pool's skimmer and was greeted by this...
Skimmer find 2019-09-12 A.JPG

Always look first before you put your hand "down there!"

Any idea what kind of snake this is? I didn't kill it because it's so young and I didn't know if it is a poisonous one

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Rabbit in a commercial spa. Tampons, 1/2 set of dentures, lots of other DNA...lol

I was a service manager for bally's total fitness back in the day and the filter would be clogged with condoms almost every other month. we'd also go through 55 gallon drums of chemicals like they were nothing.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
This dude, he didn't make through the night after i pulled him out.
1538862_514898281965640_8135714979088195783_n_zps610d4c0b.jpg

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Speaking of skimmer surprises, I opened the cover to my pool's skimmer and was greeted by this... View attachment 797519

Any idea what kind of snake this is? I didn't kill it because it's so young and I didn't know if it is a poisonous one

That’s why you always knock on the skimmer lid. Use to do a lot of pools at the desert and would come across the same finding.

Albert

Reaction score
9CF87A14-E83B-4927-9E6D-E03B7B76FEBE.jpeg
This little guy a alligator lizard these little shits bite !

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Speaking of skimmer surprises, I opened the cover to my pool's skimmer and was greeted by this...
skimmer-find-2019-09-12-a-jpg.797519

I think this is a baby rattler

Taboma

Reaction score
I can't see the head very well, but that skinny tapered tail doesn't appear to like a rattlers at all. Of course not knowing exactly what geographical area makes ID a tad more challenging --- meaning, you could be down in the south or south ease USA and it could be a baby copperhead --- poisonous. Not in CA --- if the head is thin and not wedged shape (Triangular), again, not a rattler.

Taboma

Reaction score
Probably a gopher snake @WhatExit ---
Gopher or Rattle snake.JPG

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Gila Monster in mine one afternoon...change of shorts soon after. Many rats, horny toads, lizards, and a rabbit swimming laps that was rescued. Always an adventure when I head out to my pool.

MSum661

Reaction score

It is.
Spotted rattler.

And be double careful with those little bastards, they're lightning fast. They'll strike you so fast you won;t even know it.
I rushed a friend to a hospital from a baby rattler bite...twice on the way there he said he thought he was'nt going to make in time.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Probably a gopher snake @WhatExit ---
View attachment 797596

I think you may be right. This snake's tail was tapered to a point. And according to the online info I've seen...

Baby Rattlesnakes Don't Have Rattles
A rattlesnake's most distinguishing feature is its rattles, but baby rattlers don't have rattles until they shed their skin for the first time. Instead, the baby has a little knob – called a button – on its tail. When an adult rattlesnake feels threatened, it coils, rattles and hisses all at the same time. Young snakes may coil and hiss, but you won't hear a rattling sound. You shouldn't ignore the hiss of any snake, but it's a grave warning when coming from a rattlesnake, even a baby one. Baby rattlesnakes don't have as much venom as adults, but it's more potent.