WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F150 Ecoboost. What’s the consensus?

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Recognizing many of your boats are bigger than my average , this 15' EB and my 14' (5.0) tow with ease
19 cover pic.jpg

HBCraig

Reaction score
I have had both the ecoboost and 5.0 liter. I chose to go with the 5.0 liter on my last F150 and it tows great. Not a knock on the ecoboost, but I just dont feel comfortable winding up the RPMs and spooling up the turbos while towing in the summertime.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
The resale is more because it cost more to begin with. You’ll never recoup the extra cost in your fuel savings towing your boat unless you tow half a million miles.

When you aren’t towing, the half ton is way nicer to drive and cheaper to operate.

I haven’t even brought up registration and insurance cost savings of a half ton.

It is a free country, drive the truck you want, but if you tow less than 8000 lbs there is no need for a 3/4 ton or beyond truck, and your TCO will always be more than a half ton, even after you sell it.

Don’t tell me about mid 2000 diesels.. we are talking about modern new trucks. You can’t buy a Duramax for $42k like you could in 2006.

There is definitely no savings, but for me it is well worth the money spent. It is amazing that a 10 year old gasser will be $10k and a 10 year old diesel will be $35k. I didn't spend $25k more on a diesel. I paid $57k for me 2018 Ram Mega 4x4 Laramie loaded. 1500's were nearly $50k.

Gassers are usually at the end of their expected life at 100k miles. Cummins will make it to 300k with a couple transmissions.

I bought this truck to keep forever, but will probably buy a new one in 7-8 years though. I'm a hoarder though.

newmexico

Reaction score
Why is it so important to install an oil catch can in an Ecoboost? If it was needed that bad, wouldn’t it come installed from factory? Was just reading F150 forums a couple months ago. My 17 year old son is playing with a 2014.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Why is it so important to install an oil catch can in an Ecoboost? If it was needed that bad, wouldn’t it come installed from factory? Was just reading F150 forums a couple months ago. My 17 year old son is playing with a 2014.

Every engine can benefit from a good catch can/oil separator. Direct injection especially. The new Eco with the added port injector def helps keep valves cleaner. The oil is caught before it can be distributed all over the back of the valves and burned.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

pull the charge pipe off the intercooler and check all of the gross goo that's in there.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There is definitely no savings, but for me it is well worth the money spent. It is amazing that a 10 year old gasser will be $10k and a 10 year old diesel will be $35k. I didn't spend $25k more on a diesel. I paid $57k for me 2018 Ram Mega 4x4 Laramie loaded. 1500's were nearly $50k.

Gassers are usually at the end of their expected life at 100k miles. Cummins will make it to 300k with a couple transmissions.

I bought this truck to keep forever, but will probably buy a new one in 7-8 years though. I'm a hoarder though.

Gassers are not dead at 100k miles. Again, this isn’t 1987.

There is not a $7k difference between a 1500 gasser and an 3500 dually diesel mega cab of the same trim. You are comparing your deal price to a MSRP, or the 2 trims are different.

The equivalent of my truck (F150 XLT) in an F250 XLT Diesel was over $15k... that was in March 2019, same “deal price” from the same dealer at the same time.

Again, we are in agreement there is no real money savings, and anyone can drive what they like. I’m glad you are happy with your choice.

You illustrated my point though.. you spent a lot on the truck intending to keep it forever.. but you may sell the $57k truck for $30k in 8 years..

I may sell my $40k truck for $12k-$15k In 8 years. Yea the gasser lost more as a percentage in resale value, but we lost about the same amount of money in real dollars, and the gasser is unquestionably cheaper to insure, register and maintain year over year. Fuel costs depend on what you are doing with it.

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
An ass for every seat definitely applies here. There’s no need to convince anyone that the choice you made was the right one for you. My buddy (6’7”) has the platinum f150 4x4 with the EB. I have the previous gen SD (before the f150 cab) and am 5’10”. I’ve driven his truck to the river twice and couldn’t stand it (seats mainly, sore back). His is a MUCH smoother ride around town, but mine is better on the highway.

Anyhow, when he was shopping for it, we watched YouTube comparisons on the EB vs 5.0 and they were closely matched. The parts guy at our dealership said the same thing about the turbo problems, and that he ordered the V8 because of all the EB’s that were in for service. Take that for what it’s worth, a service dept is going to come across all the problems. My friend ignored that and has the EB, he couldn’t be happier. It’s stupid fast for a 4x4 truck and nimble enough for around town/mall duty.

I’m stuck with mine since the new SD has the f150 cab/seats so I’ll just pray that the fuel pump doesn’t let go and grenade the entire works.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I don't think we'll reach a consensus until page 6.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Consensus is never reached LOL

People will just get tired of arguing about trucks in this thread, and will continue the arguments once the next truck thread is inevitably started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

riverroyal

Reaction score
my son just bought a truck.......cant let this die

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
An ass for every seat definitely applies here. There’s no need to convince anyone that the choice you made was the right one for you. My buddy (6’7”) has the platinum f150 4x4 with the EB. I have the previous gen SD (before the f150 cab) and am 5’10”. I’ve driven his truck to the river twice and couldn’t stand it (seats mainly, sore back). His is a MUCH smoother ride around town, but mine is better on the highway.

Anyhow, when he was shopping for it, we watched YouTube comparisons on the EB vs 5.0 and they were closely matched. The parts guy at our dealership said the same thing about the turbo problems, and that he ordered the V8 because of all the EB’s that were in for service. Take that for what it’s worth, a service dept is going to come across all the problems. My friend ignored that and has the EB, he couldn’t be happier. It’s stupid fast for a 4x4 truck and nimble enough for around town/mall duty.

I’m stuck with mine since the new SD has the f150 cab/seats so I’ll just pray that the fuel pump doesn’t let go and grenade the entire works.

This is a problem magnified by the internet, but there are a bunch of people that complain their new 2018 and 2019 5.0s (really 307 cubic inches now) have loud cam phasers and burn a ton of oil.

My snowbird rental has a 2018 F150 5.0 he bought for "simplicity" and really likes it. He does not have the cam phaser or oil problems. I talked to him before I got my 3.5 Ecoboost.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Consensus is never reached LOL

People will just get tired of arguing about trucks in this thread, and will continue the arguments once the next truck thread is inevitably started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a believer in the GM OHV V8s.. The surrounding truck was just not as good. If we are going to argue about simpler is better.. THAT is simpler and cheaper. Nothing about the Ford Coyote DOHC engine is cheap or simple lol. It is a nice engine though.

ram78d10

Reaction score
I have a 2016 2.7 EcoBoost 4x4 with 95K miles. Haven't had any problems with it. I get about 22mpg overall.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm a believer in the GM OHV V8s.. The surrounding truck was just not as good. If we are going to argue about simpler is better.. THAT is simpler and cheaper. Nothing about the Ford Coyote DOHC engine is cheap or simple lol. It is a nice engine though.

I’m with you.
When you’ve made over 100,000,000 OHV V8 engines, there’s a reason for that.

How many clean-sheet V8 designs has Ford had over the same period? A lot.

Look at Toyota engines. They’re mostly older, but constantly evolving. They run forever.
And also why a Cummins in-line 6 is so great.

Do one thing, and perfect it over time [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube where they go into a ford dealer and ask the service technicians what they would own and all but 1 said the 5.0
The 5.0 is Year after year and Pound for pound the best ever all around.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m with you.
When you’ve made over 100,000,000 OHV V8 engines, there’s a reason for that.

How many clean-sheet V8 designs has Ford had over the same period? A lot.

Look at Toyota engines. They’re mostly older, but constantly evolving. They run forever.
And also why a Cummins in-line 6 is so great.

Do one thing, and perfect it over time [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Chevy small block V8 - The Porsche 911 of engines :)

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
My boat, 8300lbs unloaded. 2014 Ecoboost 502a tow package. Vancouver to Penticton on
up to some 9% grades, tranny temp gauge rock solid in the middle.
20150704_180130-1.jpg

2016 Travel trailer 7800lbs unloaded, also not a problem.I keep the truck bone stock, no tuners or bigger tires.;)
20160615_095338.jpg

HCP3

Reaction score
My boat, 8300lbs unloaded. 2014 Ecoboost 502a tow package. Vancouver to Penticton on
up to some 9% grades, tranny temp gauge rock solid in the middle.
View attachment 792958
2016 Travel trailer 7800lbs unloaded, also not a problem.I keep the truck bone stock, no tuners or bigger tires.;)
View attachment 792963

How about coolant and oil temps? Don't forget to monitor those.

JBS

Reaction score
The GM 6.2 is a monster !

Do they gear them different in pickups? I have a 2016 Yukon Denali XL. While the 6.2 works well I have not towed more than a few thousand pounds on a double axle flatbed trailer. It pulled ok but nothing like my 2006 3/4 Ton Dodge Cummins.

The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting rid of the Denali and Dodge and going to a half or 3/4 ton pickup.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do they gear them different in pickups? I have a 2016 Yukon Denali XL. While the 6.2 works well I have not towed more than a few thousand pounds on a double axle flatbed trailer. It pulled ok but nothing like my 2006 3/4 Ton Dodge Cummins.

The reason I ask is I am thinking of getting rid of the Denali and Dodge and going to a half or 3/4 ton pickup.

Same 3.23 gearing. You can get a 3.42 axle with the pickup maximum tow package.

With the higher end Ford Engines, (5.0 and 3.5) you can choose between, 3.15, 3.31, or 3.55.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBS

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Same 3.23 gearing. You can get a 3.42 axle with the pickup maximum tow package.

With the higher end Ford Engines, (5.0 and 3.5) you can choose between, 3.15, 3.31, or 3.55.
3.42 with the same 10 speed should be nice. I have the 8 speed and it runs really well.

spectras only

Reaction score
How about coolant and oil temps? Don't forget to monitor those.
Rock solid. Mind you, we only get to 96-100 F at the height of summer here.;):cool:
The 502a package comes with 3:73 gears for towing duty;)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rock solid. Mind you, we only get to 96-100 F at the height of summer here.;):cool:
The 502a package comes with 3:73 gears for towing duty;)

With the 10 speed they have lowered that to 3.55s in the new trucks.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I always look at this as duty cycle. The Nearest grade I have to pull is a few miles west of St. Louis. If I pull that once a year, revving up whatever is of no concern.
I became a fan of V-6 power when My friend bought a new bone stock 88' chevy with a measly 4.3 work truck with a 5 speed manual. It wasn't that far behind the carbed 350 just a few years prior with an auto. Over the years the V-6 has increased in power and torque and along with a turbo they they have way more power stock than any mid 70's/80's stock small block 350. The 350's pulled just fine with decent gears. Now with the new transmissions they get to stay in a torque range that suites the little motors. I'm not saying they will pull a 12k load up the grapevine at 80 but unless that is the need, it seems like alot of overkill for somebody that doesn't need that on a regular basis. I'm liking where the current technology is going.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I always look at this as duty cycle. The Nearest grade I have to pull is a few miles west of St. Louis. If I pull that once a year, revving up whatever is of no concern.
I became a fan of V-6 power when My friend bought a new bone stock 88' chevy with a measly 4.3 work truck with a 5 speed manual. It wasn't that far behind the carbed 350 just a few years prior with an auto. Over the years the V-6 has increased in power and torque and along with a turbo they they have way more power stock than any mid 70's/80's stock small block 350. The 350's pulled just fine with decent gears. Now with the new transmissions they get to stay in a torque range that suites the little motors. I'm not saying they will pull a 12k load up the grapevine at 80 but unless that is the need, it seems like alot of overkill for somebody that doesn't need that on a regular basis. I'm liking where the current technology is going.

You are clearly an idiot. You need to buy a diesel 3/4 ton to tow your 7000 pound boat up a hill at idle a couple times a year and deal with poorer ride, and increased costs the rest of the time you own the truck and aren’t towing. :rolleyes:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
You are clearly an idiot. You need to buy a diesel 3/4 ton to tow your 7000 pound boat up a hill at idle a couple times a year and deal with poorer ride, and increased costs the rest of the time you own the truck and aren’t towing. :rolleyes:
I once drove past a Motel 6 pulling a trailer with a v6. :D

spectras only

Reaction score
BB, my buddy had a 35 Fountain with triple axle and towed his with a 1T diesel. Only thing you're lacking is a third axle.:p:D The F-150 does fine:)

Motor Boater

Reaction score
6C05099E-1ED2-4137-B8AB-C200029A00C6.jpeg
So I bought it. 3.5 ecoboost, max towing pkg with locker and 3.55s. Can’t wait to tow with it. Gotta figure what lift kit to put on it. Not sure what brand is the best? I’m not trying to Baja the thing, mostly be a pavement pounder and tow vehicle.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So I bought it. 3.5 ecoboost, max towing pkg with locker and 3.55s. Can’t wait to tow with it. Gotta figure what lift kit to put on it. Not sure what brand is the best? I’m trying to Baja the thing, mostly be a pavement pounder and tow vehicle.

How high you want to go?

I did a 2 inch front spacer lift with 33s and am pretty happy.

88797279-F329-4B2E-82B4-3E58EE646668.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
6”. I’m worried it’s gonna sag like crazy though when I tow

Yea it is going to. Might need airbags.

Yours is 4X4? The 4X4s already have a like a 1.25 inch lift from the 2WD as stock..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

This. Really easy. My advice is just get a black one, not a silver one.

Front spacer pretty easy to install? Is there a specific brand?

I did Motofab 2 inch, Black billet aluminium, $60. They make up to 3 inch spacers I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I50553E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meaney77

Reaction score
This. Really easy. My advice is just get a black one, not a silver one.

I did Motofab 2 inch, Black billet aluminium, $60. They make up to 3 inch spacers I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I50553E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you notice any difference in ride quality and turning radius?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Still in love with yours? Dragging my wife to the dealer shortly. 19 XLT 3.5 max tow.

Yea It is great. no issues at all. I have 11K miles on it already.

Incidentally, I raced @Bpracing1127 in his tuned truck... The extra HP of the gen 2 3.5 engine and the 10 speed made a huge difference! I was at his back wheel off the line, and started reeling him in at 35-40. we stopped at 85 or so, and were nearly even. He would have won as mine is stock with the 106 speed limiter.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Do you notice any difference in ride quality and turning radius?

No real difference, just slightly firmer as noted. I ran these wheels and tires at the stock height for a few days, and got very light rubbing on the fender liner at full lock. No rubbing at all with the front lift now.

Get the alignment when you do the lift or right after, the toe will be way off and will kill your tires if you just run it.