WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reef tank

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My friend and good neighbor went from a 180gl tank last week to a 300gl. He is very talented with any type of this shit and has all kinds of pets. Keep in mind this is only a week after he transferred everything over which took him about a week from start to finish. Thing is 8 feet long and 30 inches deep.
Makes my little bucket look like I just won it a the county fair...

20190823_170916.jpg

20190823_170906.jpg

Last edited:

Boat211

Reaction score
That thing is beautiful. Can you send him over so he can spruce my tank up?

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Cubic dollars.

Beautiful.
Yeah there's alot of dough tied up in that thing.
He used to work at one of the major fish stores years ago and has been a stay at home Dad for the last 16 years. He does have a side business servicing tanks at public places like doctors/dental facilities, restaurants, etc. and knows his shit.

C-2

Reaction score
Awesome, that's some skill, excellent planning and patience there.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
He used to work at one of the major fish stores years ago and has been a stay at home Dad for the last 16 years. He does have a side business servicing tanks at public places like doctors/dental facilities, restaurants, etc. and knows his shit.

That explains a few things!

I thought I was big time with my 80gal tank. LoL

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I when I was younger I did that as a side gig. It's a hard sell these days to walk into place of business and tell them you need 2k now and 3-500 every month for just a fresh water tank that is in the 4' range.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Well things didn't go as planned for my friend. Things looked good for the first week or so then turned south for him...lost all of his fish due to some rare algae that presented itself and now he is trying to save his corals that he has years of growth into. Reactors running, UV systems, chemicals and nothing works. He has to clean 5-6 times a day so it doesn't choke his corals. Can't remember the name of it but it is very rare/aggressive and normally will destroy a tank. Feel sorry for him...A LOT of $$$$ down the drain.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am getting ready to tear mine down, rid it of all zoas and start over. I’m hiring help; only one eye left. Can’t risk another accident.

Get the fuck out.. I remember you said something got in your eye, but I thought it was going to all be ok? You ended up losing an eye over that??

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Get the fuck out.. I remember you said something got in your eye, but I thought it was going to all be ok? You ended up losing an eye over that??
They saved the eye and it works fine. But, the outermost layer healed shitty giving me shit for vision out of it. Some promising new drugs to prevent that from happening again. May take another swing at a second cornea transplant. I’m not trying out for any professional sports teams so I’m ok with what it is. But if it could be better...

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Well things didn't go as planned for my friend. Things looked good for the first week or so then turned south for him...lost all of his fish due to some rare algae that presented itself and now he is trying to save his corals that he has years of growth into. Reactors running, UV systems, chemicals and nothing works. He has to clean 5-6 times a day so it doesn't choke his corals. Can't remember the name of it but it is very rare/aggressive and normally will destroy a tank. Feel sorry for him...A LOT of $$$$ down the drain.
Try fluconazole. It’s an anti-fungal drug you can buy at pet stores. Heard of miracles with it. Can’t hurt.

BONER

Reaction score
Bought my first Saltwater Tank a little over a year ago. Small 40gal.

Waiting to close on my House then it's time for a Predator Tank.

Expensive and as fun as any Hobby with a Motor.

BONER

Reaction score
I can't think of reason I'd ever pursue Corals. I mean I get the attraction but damn what a ton of work and trial and error. Takes awhile and some experience to get good, for sure. But if the Ocean is in my House I want to see Fish get eaten!

Octopuses are badass too! Super smart. But better know what you're doing it'll be dead in 24 hours.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
This is mine. Side view. Coral isn’t too difficult with modern equipment. Green bastards on the bottom left are what got me. Got slime on my hand, didn’t wash well and rubbed my eye. That’s all it took. 3 days later, colored part turned white and the inner fluid started leaking out. They fight for space and catch food via chemical warfare.

453698F8-D0B6-4202-9A1F-7937CB487419.jpeg

Rjt01

Reaction score
I the problem when I went from a 120 g tank to a 200 g tank . Everything was ok for a few weeks and woke up to the tank full of dead fish , was a toxic bloom from one of my corals stressed out and released a toxin and kill all the fish and shrimp and even my leopard eel an those bstd are hard to kill . Ended up having to do multiple water changes and only run the light for 2 hrs a day for a month till the bloom died off . Coral goes dormant and will be ok . Bought a massive protein skimmer and dropped 2 degrees on the chiller . Then after a month I introduced some test fish (cheap) ones lol and slowly upped the light time till it was back to normal . I set it up so it follows winter time light to summer . And cycle my current generators from one side to the other . Don’t have the tank now as we just moved into our new house but am champing on the bit to start again lol

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah he's been doing excessive water changes (50gl), only running the blue lights for minimum hours. He has a big reactor and has built this large straw type wand that he vacuums the algae off of the coral with. Said he's gonna beat this thing and I'm sure he will.

Rjt01

Reaction score
Yeah he's been doing excessive water changes (50gl), only running the blue lights for minimum hours. He has a big reactor and has built this large straw type wand that he vacuums the algae off of the coral with. Said he's gonna beat this thing and I'm sure he will.
I hope he does bro , love having a salt tank and the bad ass fish but it sucks too see$$$$ go down the toilet. As I stated it will take a month of combating this , and more$$$$$ just out of curiosity....... is he using tap water or RO water ???? I’m sure he’s using RO water but had to ask .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dammm...

Now I remember why I got out of salt water tanks. Gawd it was Expensive...

:(

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I hope he does bro , love having a salt tank and the bad ass fish but it sucks too see$$$$ go down the toilet. As I stated it will take a month of combating this , and more$$$$$ just out of curiosity....... is he using tap water or RO water ???? I’m sure he’s using RO water but had to ask .
Yes he is using RO.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Dammm...

Now I remember why I got out of salt water tanks. Gawd it was Expensive...

:(
Most hobbies are. I was in it 30k at one point. I have seen more then a few 6 figure tanks.

The fun my thing is there is way more research and inavation into reefs then there are into aquatic plants. In many ways a reef is easier to keep then a " high tech" planted tank. There are is a lot more equipment for reefs. I actually found the set up of reefs the most enjoyable part. Being able to build virtually every thing for it was always a big plus for me

Rjt01

Reaction score
Most hobbies are. I was in it 30k at one point. I have seen more then a few 6 figure tanks.

The fun my thing is there is way more research and inavation into reefs then there are into aquatic plants. In many ways a reef is easier to keep then a " high tech" planted tank. There are is a lot more equipment for reefs. I actually found the set up of reefs the most enjoyable part. Being able to build virtually every thing for it was always a big plus for me
I was the same lol I built all my pipes and the whole set up . Chiller and ro and sand unit were all piped outside the house and had its own ac unit to keep it at 78 at all times and worked awesome . Ended selling it all to my coworker and he has it dialed in and has been healthy for 5 years now . Once it mature it’s low maintenance. I had mine for 6 years and no problem till I broke it down and put a bigger tank in and that’s when it went to shit . I really hope ur friend wins this battle .

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I got out after a 2 week power outage in August even with a generator the chiller could not keep up. Lost all but some inverts. Sold the tank and equipment.