WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The moon

Gelcoater

Reaction score
is bright tonight!
Anyone up seeing this?
I got done working about a beer and a half ago.
2862E1A6-4292-431A-ACF7-2BC189677211.jpeg
07D666BC-252E-44B4-90D7-B40400241C8D.jpeg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
In Western Washington many roads are lined with the big firs. Driving with the headlights off at unthinkable speeds using the treeline as a guide was always a good time on a full moon.

rrrr

Reaction score
Did anyone notice the two bright objects east of the moon at about the same elevation? The one closest to the moon is Saturn, the other, brighter one is Jupiter.

I have Google Sky Map on my phone, and use it all the time for planet spotting and finding out the names of bright stars I see. The Dallas Morning News prints a chart on their weather page that shows the rise and set times of visible planets. I use it all the time.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Did anyone notice the two bright objects east of the moon at about the same elevation? The one closest to the moon is Saturn, the other, brighter one is Jupiter.

I have Google Sky Map on my phone, and use it all the time for planet spotting and finding out the names of bright stars I see. The Dallas Morning News prints a chart on their weather page that shows the rise and set times of visible planets. I use it all the time.

We were using that last night with the kids. Really cool ap.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
We were using that last night with the kids. Really cool ap.
What a great way to introduce the kids to the other side of their lives...Roughly 12 hours daylight, 12 hours darkness... I was introduced into the sky at night looking through my fathers home ground telescope mirror. I spent many nights at Griffith Observatory after closing down in the bowels of the place where the real science was happening away from the general public. They had a "focal point range" that showed the progress of the concavity of the mirror, and also a lab for applying the silver backing to the mirror... My Father's 12" homemade telescope would bring the moon in so close you couldn't see it all at once..He also incorporated a clock drive that would make the telescope follow a target planet across the sky. All of this was fabricated right there at home, including grinding the mirror over months of very tedious work...
Using your phone to show the kids what they are looking at is marvelous, a truly great way to further their education about things they won't learn about in school unless they have a very special Science teacher... My Father passed away in 1976, long before the "computer age" made it's way into the lives of the common man. That is a shame because he would have embraced the technology wholeheartedly....
Again, your kids lives are greatly enriched while looking to the stars and gaining valuable knowledge and hopefully an understanding of those shiny things in the sky...
Ray

Your ad here

Reaction score
Years ago at about 5 in the morning getting on 241 from Santa Margarita pkwy noticed there was a pitch black sky and a full moon and then this song started playing. I should've bought a lotto ticket that day.

endobear

Reaction score
We won't see another full moon on Friday the 13th until 2049.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
What a great way to introduce the kids to the other side of their lives...Roughly 12 hours daylight, 12 hours darkness... I was introduced into the sky at night looking through my fathers home ground telescope mirror. I spent many nights at Griffith Observatory after closing down in the bowels of the place where the real science was happening away from the general public. They had a "focal point range" that showed the progress of the concavity of the mirror, and also a lab for applying the silver backing to the mirror... My Father's 12" homemade telescope would bring the moon in so close you couldn't see it all at once..He also incorporated a clock drive that would make the telescope follow a target planet across the sky. All of this was fabricated right there at home, including grinding the mirror over months of very tedious work...
Using your phone to show the kids what they are looking at is marvelous, a truly great way to further their education about things they won't learn about in school unless they have a very special Science teacher... My Father passed away in 1976, long before the "computer age" made it's way into the lives of the common man. That is a shame because he would have embraced the technology wholeheartedly....
Again, your kids lives are greatly enriched while looking to the stars and gaining valuable knowledge and hopefully an understanding of those shiny things in the sky...
Ray

We are constantly watching documentaries and I am always trying to get my kids to notice the little things around them that are interesting and unique. Most of the time it ends with me talking to myself but as they get older they pay more and more attention.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Full Moons - Back when I was at sea for stupid long amounts of time, full moons were something my wife and I would share. Although at times, from opposite sides of the world.