WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F150 or Silverado or GMC Sierra???

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Now that we have stopped full timing and will leave the 5th wheel at the rv resort we stay for the winter.

Now I do not need a F350 Dually anymore, we have been thinking about down grading. I have always been a Ford Truck guy. With our F350 we have had a lot of problems with the computer. We bought this truck used. It was a Ford fleet truck the some exec. drove.:rolleyes: Had 7700 miles on it when we bought it. With it being CPO truck we got a 7yr/100,000 warranty. We have had to use that warranty a few times.

So now I started thinking about an F150, but am shying away from ford trucks. I just recently get back in touch with my mom and step-father. Long story short it was 26 yrs of no contact, but now the relationship is going well. Stepdad is retired GM and I can use his employee pricing.

So I started thinking about GM trucks. I swore off GM after the guberment screwed over the bond holders. Now I am wondering if I should give in and get one, because of the pricing and me not happy the ford.
If you were in my shoes what would you do? Save the money or stick with Ford like I always have. The 350 is the 9th ford truck I have owned. This truck is the only one I have had a lot of issues with.

Billygoat

Reaction score
Sit, drive, and really take in each one and see how you feel. Go in open minded. I have owned Ram Chevy and Ford and I feel they all have different pro and cons. I love the new F-150 3.5 eco boost. Owned one for a few years and was the definitely the most comfortable 1/2 ton. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how much money you saved if your not happy with your purchase. Personally I think the new 1/2 ton Chevy is the ugliest truck they have ever built. Get the Ford.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Sit, drive, and really take in each one and see how you feel. Go in open minded. I have owned Ram Chevy and Ford and I feel they all have different pro and cons. I love the new F-150 3.5 eco boost. Owned one for a few years and was the definitely the most comfortable 1/2 ton. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how much money you saved if your not happy with your purchase. Personally I think the new 1/2 ton Chevy is the ugliest truck they have ever built. Get the Ford.

Almost as ugly as the gm HD:)

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I did the same. Was usually a gm guy but after bail out bought a 2011 f150 5.0. Looks good, drives good, comfortable, Benin pretty reliable, a few minor annoyances.
Not great mileage. Concerned about the more complex overhead cam engine for long term and cost to rebuild compared to th gm ohv.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I've had Fords and Chevys and liked both.
Bought 2013 and 2016 Silverado crew cab shortbeds new and never had a problem, great trucks.
This new body style Chevy is a big mistake I believe, the Gmc looks a lot better. I think there are still new Chevy/Gmc trucks in the old body style out there, I'd look for that, a low mileage used one or a new Gmc.

jet496

Reaction score
We buy trucks every year for our company & have Silverados with over 200,000 miles with no major problems. Used to have tranny problems with the Fords and got real tired of it.

As for the new Silverado body styles, I never like it when Chevy or Ford make major changes but they ultimately always do and I always get used to it. So as long as Silverado prices remain like they have, I recommend them for the money & reliability.

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
I am also a GM guy and have had 3 F150's in the last decade

HBCraig

Reaction score
I must be in the minority, I think the Chevy is the best looking 1/2 ton truck on the market, the Ford's a box with a chrome dog house on the front.:D

I like how the Chevy looks as well. But their factory rims like terrible in my opinion.

The f150 can give you a few good 20" options and 22" as well

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
This '19 Silverado is the nicest truck I have ever owned. I have had six or so 150s four Chevys and five Rams. This is our fully loaded RST with Z71 pack, Baja Kits/King suspension and Deavers. 5.3 4x4 8sp.

My 17 Ram had 35s as well and my mileage was a a minimum of 3mpg worse. I am seeing around 20mpg which seems really good. This truck had 20s and I went to 17s. hahaha but we do a ton of fast dirt roads and some rougher tougher challenges.

I am brand loyal in terms of performance cars but if my new trucks are a Chevy, Ram or Ford I dont think I can go wrong as they are all so nice now. I am a fan of V8s in a truck; I just cant get myself to like the EcoBoost stuff. I know they are good but just not my cup of tea.

Good luck and have a blessed weekend.
20190907_135349.jpg

20190829_180152.jpg

20190724_180837.jpg

20190829_180034.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
When I was shopping for a used/CPO truck last year, my money went farthest with a Chevy.

I don’t regret the decision at all, I love my truck.

Moving forward, Chevy - a brand I never considered for a truck in the past - is now at the top of my list when I look to replace it (GMC as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Go test drive a Ram , you’ll be surprised. Plus , they deal .

riverroyal

Reaction score
I have both Personal is 150, work is chevy. Nothing wrong with chevy, it drives smooth, its quiet.
Im still going with the ford. Better resale.
I have a ford connection that helps. I also really like the local dealer service guys. Nothing has broke, but oil changes and a couple minor recall things

pronstar

Reaction score
I will say dollar-for-dollar, a very compelling case can be made for the Raptor...they simply don’t depreciate.

Buy one - new or used -and sell it in two or three years for not much less than what you paid for it.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Bought a 2014 Sierra earlier in the year. Honestly the GM product was last on my list and I really wanted a Ram. I can say that this truck has swayed me and I’ll probably look at the GM product first when it comes time for a replacement in a few years.

Plus, @beaverretriever new truck is bad ass and converted me to liking the new body style! I want to do what he did to my current truck.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My little truck does great on fuel. Never thought I would own a 1500. Now when I get back in the 2500 I notice how rough the ride is. It was $37K loaded 4x4. The Duramax I wanted was 30k more. Figure I only need 2 diesels so went 1500. The best average for 50 miles is over 30 mpg and it costs $60 less in fuel than my 6.0 gas 2500 round trip to Parker.

Ford I had nothing but problems with and Dan Tang at Ford helped me jump ship and not look back after screwing me on my F450. Now I have 4 Chevys instead of 4 fords and have had no issues. The 2 local dealers are shit but Selman in Orange is not that far.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
Nice! What trim did you go with?

I bought the Laramie loaded with most every option.... Needed a bench front seat. The deals on those trucks at Andersen Dodge are awesome right now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
OP- Your question appears to me to be trying to decide if you should change brands after coming so far with one. Just last month I purchased (well leased) my first ever pickup. I grew up in a Chevy house. My father spoke of Ford like they were made by Satan. So when it came time to shop I naturally looked at the Silverado not even thinking about looking elsewhere. However I have been driving Jeeps for 20 years as well, happened to be driving by the Dodge dealer so what the heck I pulled in. The Dodge Rebel...wow! The interior is like a sports car. It had coolers built into in bed, the tail gate opened all different ways, and a huge sunroof. For what my needs are and what I am used to driving from an interior standpoint the Dodge was awesome. So what did I do? I bought (well leased) the Silverado Trail Boss. Other then a Jeep Wrangler, I just could not justify in my head not buying a GM product. So for me it was go home with who you came with.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This '19 Silverado is the nicest truck I have ever owned. I have had six or so 150s four Chevys and five Rams. This is our fully loaded RST with Z71 pack, Baja Kits/King suspension and Deavers. 5.3 4x4 8sp.

My 17 Ram had 35s as well and my mileage was a a minimum of 3mpg worse. I am seeing around 20mpg which seems really good. This truck had 20s and I went to 17s. hahaha but we do a ton of fast dirt roads and some rougher tougher challenges.

I am brand loyal in terms of performance cars but if my new trucks are a Chevy, Ram or Ford I dont think I can go wrong as they are all so nice now. I am a fan of V8s in a truck; I just cant get myself to like the EcoBoost stuff. I know they are good but just not my cup of tea.

View attachment 798048

View attachment 798049

View attachment 798050

View attachment 798051

Sweet truck. I notice you never post pics of the front :p.

Best looking ‘19 I’ve seen!

RCDave

Reaction score
Chevy's look like a mama's excuse to say their kid is good lookin. They are just about as ugly as the current Honda ridgeline

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We just bought a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD and love it. Friggen badass machine, IMO. You have to pick what you like best though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I am going to drive them both. Although, I know all about the F150. When I have had to take in the F350 for warranty work they give me a F150 as a loaner. Really hate the auto shut off at a light. Slows down the a/c and just plain do not like it. Yes there is a button on the dash to turn it off. but you have to do it every time you start the truck. I read some put a trailer plug in it to keep it from shutting off, but that seams dumb to have to do that.

If I like the GM products I will go with them. The employee pricing is tough to beat. Do not like Ram or Tundra, so not even an option. Now I have to figure out the differences between the Silverado and the Sierra.

ShotgunGrooms

Reaction score

View attachment 798048

View attachment 798049

View attachment 798050

View attachment 798051

Please tell me more about your lift.... looks great!

how tall (lift)
tire size
rim size/back spacing - rim p/n
lift kit part numbers
any welding or all bolt on?
how does it ride with the coilovers?
4x4 ?
after market (who) or from DSI/dealer?

thank you

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
My company provide truck is a 18 Chevy 1500 in work trim.

It has a 5.3 which is at best ok, mileage after the 1st week is only 13.2, but it was all city stop and go. The seats are awful. With a better motor and trim package it would be a decent truck, but in this config it's junk. In January it's being replaced with a ranger, as I do not need a 1/2, but I still need a truck.
By the same token I did drive a 17 1500 ram in same config for a day, it was much better. Granted only 130 miles on it, but it had more get up and go, and a seat that was not horrible.

Not drive a ford in similar config, so I can't say what they are like. These are base model work trucks bought in mass and cheap.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I am going to drive them both. Although, I know all about the F150. When I have had to take in the F350 for warranty work they give me a F150 as a loaner. Really hate the auto shut off at a light. Slows down the a/c and just plain do not like it. Yes there is a button on the dash to turn it off. but you have to do it every time you start the truck. I read some put a trailer plug in it to keep it from shutting off, but that seams dumb to have to do that.

If I like the GM products I will go with them. The employee pricing is tough to beat. Do not like Ram or Tundra, so not even an option. Now I have to figure out the differences between the Silverado and the Sierra.

Auto shutoff is dumb. There is a $80 module that keeps the button off until you turn the stop start back on, or you can get Forscan software and disable it there.

I have the module, and disabled all notifications about then start stop system in the cluster.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You are going to need that check book... they average a out 5k more then the big 3 for similar trucks.

You ain’t kidding. My buddy bought a used Tacoma 4 door 2wd V6 for 36k

I bought a brand new Ram 2500 6.4 4x4 for 36k

He does have power seats and nicer stereo w/ bigger display screen.

4 adults in his truck for 10hr road trip sucks ass very uncomfortable and he only gets 18mpg @ 70-85mph. Barely has room for our gear.

My truck will seat 4 adults comfortably 5 if have to. Gets about 12mpg has Twice the amount of room for gear.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Local cabinet maker bought a Tundra for 70k.

Just checked my old 05 Tundra 255,795 miles. Mom borrowed it and never gave it back. She prefers it over her new Honda CRV for freeway driving to work.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Local cabinet maker bought a Tundra for 70k.

Just checked my old 05 Tundra 255,795 miles. Mom borrowed it and never gave it back. She prefers it over her new Honda CRV for freeway driving to work.

Are you shitting me? 70k 1/2ton is insane!
My condolences to his anus! RIP

You can get a loaded 3/4 or 1ton diesel from any of the big 3 for that or less!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Test drive the Tundra and bring your check book
And a black card when you drive it cause they get way worse mileage than the other three.
My company provide truck is a 18 Chevy 1500 in work trim.

It has a 5.3 which is at best ok, mileage after the 1st week is only 13.2, but it was all city stop and go. The seats are awful. With a better motor and trim package it would be a decent truck, but in this config it's junk. In January it's being replaced with a ranger, as I do not need a 1/2, but I still need a truck.
By the same token I did drive a 17 1500 ram in same config for a day, it was much better. Granted only 130 miles on it, but it had more get up and go, and a seat that was not horrible.

Not drive a ford in similar config, so I can't say what they are like. These are base model work trucks bought in mass and cheap.
Since it's a work truck I almost guarantee it's got a really short rear gear ratio. Also, have you verified it is in fact a 5.3? Doesn't make much sense for a fleet to buy 1/2 tons with a bigger V8 versus the 305 hp 4.3 V6 or similar hp 4.8 V8.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It does have the 5.3. No clue what the rear end is. All I know is that seat sucks ass, the cab rattles going down the road and when you try to pass it is lack luster. The dodge was miles better when it came to the cabin and the acceleration.

I pretty much go the only half ton left in the yard. Almost every one else has a 3/4 with a service body or a sprinter. Like I said basic work trucks. I have little doubt with better trim packages they would all be better.

RCDave

Reaction score
Funny I always hear about the bad mpg of the tundra. In reality it gets decent mpg given its 381hp and 401 ft/lb. The crewmax 4x4 I had got 15 in town and 17-18 on the highway running 78mph.

Maybe a little worse than a 5.3 Chevy but with way more power. Maybe worse than a Ford ecoboom. But in real world conditions insignificant differences

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Please tell me more about your lift.... looks great!

how tall (lift)
tire size
rim size/back spacing - rim p/n
lift kit part numbers
any welding or all bolt on?
how does it ride with the coilovers?
4x4 ?
after market (who) or from DSI/dealer?

thank you

I private messaged you with all the details. Oh, the truck is a 4x4. I did the install but had it aligned by a local shop.

I got over 21 MPG with 35s and a lift going over the hill yesterday to Sacramento from Reno. So lots of hills! I have been blow away how good this truck is. I do see a few mpg better with 91 octane which surprised me. I have a buddy who bought a similar truck. Trailboss in grey and he said he was getting better mileage (enough to justify the cost of 91) so I tried it and it's definitely a lot better.

stoker2001

Reaction score
I private messaged you with all the details. Oh, the truck is a 4x4. I did the install but had it aligned by a local shop.

I got over 21 MPG with 35s and a lift going over the hill yesterday to Sacramento from Reno. So lots of hills! I have been blow away how good this truck is. I do see a few mpg better with 91 octane which surprised me. I have a buddy who bought a similar truck. Trailboss in grey and he said he was getting better mileage (enough to justify the cost of 91) so I tried it and it's definitely a lot better.
21mpg average for whole trip?10-15% of that trip is hills (reno to Truckee)the other 85% is all steep downgrade..just saying:Do_O

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
21mpg average for whole trip?10-15% of that trip is hills (reno to Truckee)the other 85% is all steep downgrade..just saying:Do_O

Well that is not true, you have to go up to go down. My round trip was in the 20mpg range. So that includes the trip all the way back. So two trips over Donner Pass. No matter what, 20mpg plus is amazing for a gas truck with a lift on 35s.

stoker2001

Reaction score
Well that is not true, you have to go up to go down. My round trip was in the 20mpg range. So that includes the trip all the way back. So two trips over Donner Pass. No matter what, 20mpg plus is amazing for a gas truck with a lift on 35s.
Great MGP for sure,my bad,thought you meant one way from Reno to Sacto:)

Rjt01

Reaction score
I bought a 2018GMC Sierra all terrain 4x4 . 6.2 . Love this truck . I test drove the tundra . F150 and was super happy with the GMC . This is my first truck to me and am super happy with it . My wife likes it better than me and I have to ask her if I can use it lol .
C3C4A3AC-9A3E-4874-83E8-F9601DA65742.jpeg

pronstar

Reaction score
Damn, my ‘15 5.3 Silverado on 33’s only gets me 14 mpg combined...we do drive fast in the highways here [emoji4]