WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu ramp fatality

HBCraig

Reaction score
RDP crew,
there was a death on a lauch ramp in the past 2 weeks. An older man slipped on the ramp (I dont know what ramp), hit his head and died. Only reason why I am asking you all if you know any other info is because he was the father of one of my past softball players.

Great guy as well.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
RDP crew,
there was a death on a lauch ramp in the past 2 weeks. An older man slipped on the ramp (I dont know what ramp), hit his head and died. Only reason why I am asking you all if you know any other info is because he was the father of one of my past softball players.

Great guy as well.
OMG! That is so sad.:(

TrojanDan

Reaction score
RDP crew,

Great guy as well.

Was this Carlos? His daughter played softball at Crescenta Valley High School? He was the lead janitor at my kid’s elementary school. Died last Saturday at a Havasu launch ramp. Don’t know much more because there was little reported in it. He was much loved by the kids, parents, and faculty.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Was this Carlos? His daughter played softball at Crescenta Valley High School? He was the lead janitor at my kid’s elementary school. Died last Saturday at a Havasu launch ramp. Don’t know much more because there was little reported in it. He was much loved by the kids, parents, and faculty.

Yes

buck35

Reaction score
RDP crew,

Great guy as well.

That's awefull. RIP to Carlos.:(

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Terrible. I didn’t even see this reported in the LHC paper.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Slipping on a ramp is very real. I've had more than my share on many. Type of shoe etc. didn't matter. I launch, boat and retrieve 100% sober 99 times out of a hundred.
I have grip tape on my trailer to avoid standing on a ramp because of this. I don't care how it looks.
R.I.P. to a fellow boater. :(

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I didn’t even hear about it. Sorry for your loss.

rrrr

Reaction score

Incidents like this one are heart wrenching. A good man, a loving father and grandfather, was taken from this life in an instant. I feel great sorrow for his family members, having to understand the enormous loss which occurred on a day of fun and celebration. :(

The 55-year-old father of five and longtime La Crescenta resident was killed in an accident following a family boat outing in Lake Havasu, Ariz., on Saturday evening. Hernandez was celebrating the recent purchase of a boat by a cousin in Lake Havasu.

Hernandez worked for the district for 22 years and pushed back his retirement date on a few occasions, Alyssa said. Hernandez moved his expected August retirement into December, according to Alyssa, a freshman at Cal State Fullerton.

“He said he wanted ‘to make sure the [Valley View] kids got off to a good start,’” Alyssa said. Stacy Toy, president of the Glendale Chapter of the California School Employees Assn., or CSEA, remembered Hernandez’s positive attitude as she dropped off her sons at Valley View.

“He always had a smile on his face and a great rapport with the students and staff,” she said. “I saw him a few months ago and he told me how excited he was to enjoy his retirement. He will be missed by all that knew him.”

Toy said Hernandez’s family may apply for the CSEA’s Dorothy Bjork Assistance Fund, partially serving families facing extreme hardship. All CSEA members are offered a $5,000 life insurance benefit. The Hernandez family recently moved to East Highland in San Bernardino County this spring as Carlos Hernandez purchased a “dream home” and was looking forward to extending his grandfathering duties, Alyssa said.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine slipped and had to have surgery for a torn rotator cuff ..

Sherpa

Reaction score
HBCraig:

"Older man" slipped and hit his head..

Damn dude, he was 55.. I'm 57.

In age yes. My body maybe 70.

My brain is 21...

Very sad for Carlos and family..

Sherpa

I usually work the 20 somethings into the ground.. And love every minute of it.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I don't get how this wasn't news locally? you hear about everything else around here. Sad deal for sure. Definitely a reminder to take your time with the simple task of launching and retrieving, little slips here and there but not nearly the harsh reminder that that little slip could end so tragically.

RIP Carlos

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I have always wondered why they let ramps get so slick. It seems to me 10 minutes a day with a metal pool brush would seriously help both people tires and people from slipping. Just brush horizontal to the water and clean the moss off.
Screenshot_20190916-081123_Chrome.jpg

I have slipped a few times and my wife hit hard enough to scare the crap out of me once.

RIP to a good man.

mobldj

Reaction score
last month there was this pit tied up outside in the heat in our campground.hot as fk,i took the cart over to him .untied him, got him on the golf cart and headed to river lodges launch ramp so he could play in the water and cool off.it was low water thursday and i was in flip flops.got down to the ramp with him on a lead,hit the slimy fkn ramp cause of low water day and fell right on my ass bone.fk that hurt.dog was happy as i lay there in pain but after reading this coulda been alot worse.rip.shit you never think about ! btw also gave the owner plenty of shit for tieing the dog up outside.