WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hey LAM

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
My mom just got back from Iran. She was at my cousins house and she noticed these coins he had on display. He told her when he used to work at the bank 30 something years ago, he bought them from a bank customer who was selling coins.

Long story short, she told him that I collect coins and stamps (nerd alert) and he gave her these coins as a gift to bring to me.

She was over our house today and she brought them over. They are all silver coins. Some bad ass coins in this collection. I have to see if they’re worth anything. Anyone collect coins here?

IMG_6610.JPG
IMG_6609.JPG
IMG_6608.JPG
IMG_6607.JPG
IMG_6606.JPG
IMG_6605.JPG
IMG_6601.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Those will be worth some $$. For sure. Not that you’d ever sell them.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I collect coins as well. Can't tell you what they are worth but you definitely have some really nice ones there.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Look up each one online and you can get a good idea of their value today. Don't sell them to a dealer until you've checked each one thoroughly as they won't give you top dollar for them.

Private selling to collectors will likely get you the best value especially if you can post each one online and they can see them and make offers for each one.

Some of those coins may be worth a lot less than you'd think but some may be worth a lot. Do you research first! Good luck

GRADS

Reaction score
Look up each one online and you can get a good idea of their value today. Don't sell them to a dealer until you've checked each one thoroughly as they won't give you top dollar for them.
This^^^ those guys are crooks.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Nice. :cool:
I don't have any 18th century silver coins.
Some of the others are damn cool as well.
Score. :D

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
This^^^ those guys are crooks.
I wouldn't say crooks necessarily but someone looking to make money off your goods, mostly because they have "connections" for collectors seeking certain coins(or whatever). Most times sellers take less $ just because it's easy and don't have to do anything else.
Nice of your Cousin to gift them to you @shintoooo .......may I ask what our money is doing in an underwear drawer in Iran?:p:D

sirbob

Reaction score
In all seriousness - how do they view US money in Iran - or locals having it?

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
I wouldn't say crooks necessarily but someone looking to make money off your goods, mostly because they have "connections" for collectors seeking certain coins(or whatever). Most times sellers take less $ just because it's easy and don't have to do anything else.
Nice of your Cousin to gift them to you @shintoooo .......may I ask what our money is doing in an underwear drawer in Iran?:p:D

Back in the days before the towelheads, the U.S. and Iran had a great relationship. This is from that era.

rush1

Reaction score
Those are worth some big bucks I have a bunch of Morgan silver dollars from my grandmother

GRADS

Reaction score
Iran has flying carpets?o_O

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It’s awesome having a 223 year old piece of American history in your possession.
I met a guy that had a bad ass collection, gold, silver, with several bills of confederate currency.
The baddest ass piece was from Roman times.

You have some really nice pieces there. 1700s! Faaack!!!

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Very nice collection there. :cool:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's a nice collection. I am curious as to what Morgans are worth, as I have a few. Some of those you have are probably pretty rare. Add in where they came from, and I'd bet they'd have some really good stories and travels.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We have quite a few of these might need toDig them up

78Southwind

Reaction score
Back in the days before the towelheads, the U.S. and Iran had a great relationship. This is from that era.

In high school I use to work for some Persians that were originally from Iran. I ended up becoming pretty good friends with one of the non-family members that worked with me. He said Iran was more like Las Vegas before the Shah fled Iran. Another interesting thing that happened when I worked there was when I was listing to some music in my car before my shift started. The song, "Killing an Arab" by the Cure came on and this other Persian guy that I knew heard it playing out my widow as he was walking past my car. He was as happy as could be listing to the music. He started signing along with it and asked me what the name of the group was, the name of the song and where he could buy the album.:D Pretty interesting seeing things through others eyes for a moment.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So are these coins worth more or less than wooden shutters? Asking for a non coin collector friend.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Says they're worth a dollar right on the coins. I'll trade you for some paper money that you can actually use in a drive through without some 16yr old calling it fake

78Southwind

Reaction score
I will one up him and give you the silver value of the coins.:D

Loony Toon

Reaction score
First off don't go to a dealer!! And don't touch the coins with your bare hands!!
Contact a grading service like NGC, PCGS or ICG and have the coins Graded this is the only way know the value of each coin. These services will grade the coins and place them in protective covers if you choose. They can also tell you the total mintage of the year and how many have graded and the total of each grade. These services only grade coins they don't buy them. Value depends on condition and rarity. You have some coins that should have great value get them checked out them right way. The 1965 Quarter in the collection is a question to me as it is not a silver coin, the last silver coins were struck in 1964.

Good Luck

Loony Toon

Reaction score
After looking at them again are the second set of pictures and the third reverse of each other. If so the coins I thought were quarters show dollar on the reverse. George Washington was on the quarter that year and don't believe any dollar coins were produced between 1935 & 1971

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Gelcoater

Reaction score
First off don't go to a dealer!! And don't touch the coins with your bare hands!!
Contact a grading service like NGC, PCGS or ICG and have the coins Graded this is the only way know the value of each coin. These services will grade the coins and place them in protective covers if you choose. They can also tell you the total mintage of the year and how many have graded and the total of each grade. These services only grade coins they don't buy them. Value depends on condition and rarity. You have some coins that should have great value get them checked out them right way. The 1965 Quarter in the collection is a question to me as it is not a silver coin, the last silver coins were struck in 1964.

Good Luck
It would be good doing this, for insurance purposes.

McKay

Reaction score
If the 1796 dollars are real get them slabbed and graded for sure. You could have some serious money there.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Are you sure your cousin isn't trying to bribe you into smuggling him into the country?

I mean why not we let everyone else in.

:p

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It’s awesome having a 223 year old piece of American history in your possession.
That is waaaaay cool.:cool::cool:
All my coin collections since my youth got jacked from my parents house.:(

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Some great coins. Those from the 1700 and 1800s are way cool. I mostly have coin sets from the US Mint that my Grandma and Dad used to buy for me. I think the last one was from 1995 - the year Grandma passed away. Most valuable is the 1992 1/2 oz. American Eagle gold 25-dollar coin (solely based on the spot price of gold at the moment). I'd probably only sell the items if I was in a extreme financial jam.

Very nice of your cousin. Looking at coins and wondering who's pocket they may have been in through the years is fun in and of itself.

rush1

Reaction score