WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CRV recycle ... failed program

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Here in Atascadero (and surrounds) there is no real place to recycle cans , so many folks simply dump thier recycles in the recyle bins for curbside pickup and give up the CRV . Rite Aid for example "requires" no more that 25 cans in a "clear plastic bag" , others stores had similar very restrictive criteria/rules (small quantities, specific hours etc ) . Sooo I started doing some research others like Vons Smart and Final have no real return system in place (or so they say ) but NOT according to the state , little know fun fact's they (vendors) cant "pick and choose" how they do this they fall under the same rules and mandates as actual recycle centers meaning they are required to have a program in place and accept the returns accordingly .... So after a year of saving my cans I hauled them to Santa maria last week (100 mile round trip) I had 75 lbs and received about 90 bucks I figured gas was around $15 and then wear and tear , time was roughly 2 hrs i charge $100 per hour when I work additionally I had a dozen hefty bags @ $12 all this so I can help the state right ?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Works pretty well if you don't live in the middle of nowhere? Lol

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Recycling is dying quickly - don't be surprised when cities and states kill their recycling programs...

The World's Recycling Is in Chaos

It has been a year since China jammed the works of recycling programs around the world by essentially shutting down what had been the industry’s biggest market. China’s National Sword policy, enacted in January 2018, banned the import of most plastics and other materials headed for that nation’s recycling processors, which had handled nearly half of the world’s recyclable waste for the past quarter century. The move was an effort to halt a deluge of soiled and contaminated materials that was overwhelming Chinese processing facilities and leaving the country with yet another environmental problem—and this one not of its own making.

In the year since, China’s plastic imports have plummeted by 99 percent, leading to a major global shift in where and how materials tossed in the recycling bin are being processed. While the glut of plastics is the main concern, China’s imports of mixed paper have also dropped by a third. Recycled aluminum and glass are less affected by the ban.

Globally, more plastics are now ending up in landfills, incinerators, or likely littering the environment as rising costs to haul away recyclable materials increasingly render the practice unprofitable. In England, more than half a million more tons of plastics and other household garbage were burned last year. Australia’s recycling industry is facing a crisis as the country struggles to handle the 1.3 million-ton stockpile of recyclable waste it had previously shipped to China.

Across the United States, local governments and recycling processors are scrambling to find new markets. Communities from Douglas County, Oregon, to Hancock, Maine, have curtailed collections or halted their recycling programs entirely, which means that many residents are simply tossing plastic and paper into the trash. Some places, like Minneapolis, have stopped accepting black plastics and rigid No. 6 plastics like disposable cups. Others, like Philadelphia, are now burning the bulk of their recyclables at a waste-to-energy plant, raising concerns about air pollution.

Even before China’s ban, only 9 percent of discarded plastic was being recycled, while 12 percent was burned. The rest was buried in landfills or simply dumped and left to wash into rivers and oceans. Without China to process plastic bottles, packaging, and food containers—not to mention industrial and other plastic waste—the already massive waste problem posed by our throwaway culture will be exacerbated, experts say. The planet’s load of nearly indestructible plastics—more than 8 billion tons have been produced worldwide over the past six decades—continues to grow.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-worlds-recycling-is-in-chaos-heres-what-has-to-happen/

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I have a couple big recycling centers near me but all the grocery store "Recycle America" collectors are all gone now.
These recycle centers by me are big operations. They take just about anything like car batteries, cardboard, copper, you name it.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I have a couple big recycling centers near me but all the grocery store "Recycle America" collectors are all gone now.
These recycle centers by me are big operations. They take just about anything like car batteries, cardboard, copper, you name it.
Those that are "gone" are in violation however , If they charge CRV they must comply its not voluntary they are just skirting the program

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The point is you pay for it (no choice) they should make the return simple right ?
20190916_111243.jpg

These packages have 50 tiny plastic(#2) bottles. Each one gets the full crv charge.
Sure adds a lot to the purchase price.:rolleyes:

DLC

Reaction score
Metal prices for scrap is down right now...

Or has been down for a while

I took in several hundred lbs of copper wire like a month ago and only got like $550, normally is over a $1,000 for the same trash cans filled.

As for cans I give them away to my house keeper she takes em in..... I used to give em to the neighbor kid but he is up and gone now!

thmterry

Reaction score
We save all our cans and plastic, took half of them in last week (all that would fit in truck) for $120. FYI we have at least 4 recycling centers in Ridgecrest. $1.70 per pound for cans. I dont get paid per hour, I am retired and time is cheap :D

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I save all my cans and cash them in every Aug for beer $$$ on river trips. I go to the recycling center just off the 91 @ Kramer exit. Like clockwork I always have just under 200 lbs. They pay $1.90 per pound but I have to go two days as they only accept upto 100lbs per day on consumer returns.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Two years back I called the CRV program and spoke them at length this was the response regarding a major Supermarket here in town :

I am a Recycling Inspector assigned investigate to your complaint regarding this dealer not redeeming more than 50 containers in CRV material. This email is to let you know my findings in regards to this complaint. At my visit on Thursday 2/2/17 @1120, I brought in a bag of 54 crv plastic to be redeemed at $.05 each. I did not let the store know I was an inspector and tried redeeming as a customer. At the time of my visit the cashier did not accept more than 50 containers. I will issue a violation as appropriate and I will contact the store manager and remind them of the State of California Public Resource Code 14571.6(a)(1) Failure to redeem in an unserved zone by a dealer and if continued violation, the issuance of further notices of violations and fines. Thank you for your information regarding this store and potential violations. If you have any questions or further complaints, please contact us again at:

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Two years back I called the CRV program and spoke them at length this was the response regarding a major Supermarket here in town :

I am a Recycling Inspector assigned investigate to your complaint regarding this dealer not redeeming more than 50 containers in CRV material. This email is to let you know my findings in regards to this complaint. At my visit on Thursday 2/2/17 @1120, I brought in a bag of 54 crv plastic to be redeemed at $.05 each. I did not let the store know I was an inspector and tried redeeming as a customer. At the time of my visit the cashier did not accept more than 50 containers. I will issue a violation as appropriate and I will contact the store manager and remind them of the State of California Public Resource Code 14571.6(a)(1) Failure to redeem in an unserved zone by a dealer and if continued violation, the issuance of further notices of violations and fines. Thank you for your information regarding this store and potential violations. If you have any questions or further complaints, please contact us again at:

so are they going to give you a cut?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Airplane joke right ;)
no legit question. lots of agencys these days are offering incentives to turn in violators. the irs even gives you 10%.

i am not one to turn some one in for profit, i do like to see people following programs that are already in place. i know they increase costs and don't do anything.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
no legit question. lots of agencys these days are offering incentives to turn in violators. the irs even gives you 10%.

i am not one to turn some one in for profit, i do like to see people following programs that are already in place. i know they increase costs and don't do anything.
Not My gig , just want my nickle a can back without having to work too hard at it

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
View attachment 798838
These packages have 50 tiny plastic(#2) bottles. Each one gets the full crv charge.
Sure adds a lot to the purchase price.:rolleyes:

Never thought about that. The wife was asking me to buy the mini bottles to keep from the half full leftovers. I would have paid the tax without knowing it. ARGH!!!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Another California government fail. You have to pay the “deposit” when you buy your drinks, and then good luck on getting your money back.

cxr

Reaction score

What are the reimbursements for car batteries? last year my job sent out an email tnat someones was stealing car batteries from the parking lots and now neighbors and friends of neighbors in our general area have had car batteries stolen.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
What are the reimbursements for car batteries? last year my job sent out an email tnat someones was stealing car batteries from the parking lots and now neighbors and friends of neighbors in our general area have had car batteries stolen.
It's $15

500bbc

Reaction score
Who keeps the non refunded CRV?
There's about 17 billion containers subject to the tax in this state. Most end up in the landfill.

cxr

Reaction score

eff i hope they are not stealing batteries for 15 frickn dollars doing 100s of dollars in damage my neighbor directly next to me had his old Toyota camry hood messed up

cxr

Reaction score
Who keeps the non refunded CRV?
There's about 17 billion containers subject to the tax in this state. Most end up in the landfill.
probably general state fund

Yellowboat

Reaction score
They do a lot more then that to steal cats and they get even less for them.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I save all my cans and cash them in every Aug for beer $$$ on river trips. I go to the recycling center just off the 91 @ Kramer exit. Like clockwork I always have just under 200 lbs. They pay $1.90 per pound but I have to go two days as they only accept upto 100lbs per day on consumer returns.

The owners of that place also own the Plantation in Parker.

What size shirt you wear Dave?

ibelio

Reaction score
1.50 crv on bottle rum can I take back and get 1.50 returned?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Here in Atascadero (and surrounds) there is no real place to recycle cans , so many folks simply dump thier recycles in the recyle bins for curbside pickup and give up the CRV . Rite Aid for example "requires" no more that 25 cans in a "clear plastic bag" , others stores had similar very restrictive criteria/rules (small quantities, specific hours etc ) . Sooo I started doing some research others like Vons Smart and Final have no real return system in place (or so they say ) but NOT according to the state , little know fun fact's they (vendors) cant "pick and choose" how they do this they fall under the same rules and mandates as actual recycle centers meaning they are required to have a program in place and accept the returns accordingly .... So after a year of saving my cans I hauled them to Santa maria last week (100 mile round trip) I had 75 lbs and received about 90 bucks I figured gas was around $15 and then wear and tear , time was roughly 2 hrs i charge $100 per hour when I work additionally I had a dozen hefty bags @ $12 all this so I can help the state right ?
Why didn't you take them up to A-1 in Paso? A hell of a lot closer.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I got a recycling spot right by my house. My 9YO son is collecting know. Took him a week ago, saves bottles and cans for like 3 weeks. Got $26. He was stoked! I used to the same thing.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Why didn't you take them up to A-1 in Paso? A hell of a lot closer.

Update 9/21/19 re A! we were Miss informed that A1 Had suspended thier program ergo the prior trip to Santa Maria , yesterday after calling A1 I sucsesfully went to A! and did my thing ... the attendant informed me however that if my truck load exceed 100lbs (aluminum) that it would be required that all my cans would need to be bagged back up and taken away ... I'm sure this was incorrect and sent the state an inquiry ... can only imagine what this task might look like (bagging up 100 lbs of aluminum cans) PS love that little Indian/english fighter plane atop the sea train

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Update 9/21/19 re A! we were Miss informed that A1 Had suspended thier program ergo the prior trip to Santa Maria , yesterday after calling A1 I sucsesfully went to A! and did my thing ... the attendant informed me however that if my truck load exceed 100lbs (aluminum) that it would be required that all my cans would need to be bagged back up and taken away ... I'm sure this was incorrect and sent the state an inquiry ... can only imagine what this task might look like (bagging up 100 lbs of aluminum cans) PS love that little Indian/english fighter plane atop the sea train
Ahh gotcha. I had heard that before as well. I always really liked the way that place operated. And yeah, that plane is pretty cool too.

C-2

Reaction score
Our go-to recycling (and horse feed) place in Norco called it quits on plastic. They got super busy after the other places closed, but apparently they still could not make money.

Plastic into the trash now!

thedan

Reaction score
Our go-to recycling (and horse feed) place in Norco called it quits on plastic. They got super busy after the other places closed, but apparently they still could not make money.

Plastic into the trash now!
Good place on Etiwanda north of Limonite in Mira Loma.

Reactions: C-2

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I got a recycling spot right by my house. My 9YO son is collecting know. Took him a week ago, saves bottles and cans for like 3 weeks. Got $26. He was stoked! I used to the same thing.
When I was a kid we would serch the roads and vacant lots for soda bottles (refillable) , cash them in and buy more soda or a candy bar .... long time ago