WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

24 Schiada with twins?? Yes Please!

hallett21

Reaction score
@Tank did your Baja have a straight or step bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Is Schiada moving some static weight around to compensate for the aft CG of the outboards?

GregG

Reaction score
The Lavey 2750 is a much bigger boat but I suspect it will still be faster than this one easily.

Tank

Reaction score
Stepped or straight bottom?

I wanna say a 24 schiada with a 525 gets into the low 80s?

With a 600 24s have hit 90.

with the weight savings, I'm sticking with low to mid 90's.

What's the 24 Schiada weigh? It's gotta be pretty light. Low freeboard, no cabin, etc.

hallett21

Reaction score

What's the 24 Schiada weigh? It's gotta be pretty light. Low freeboard, no cabin, etc.

It’s heavy. I’m trying to find a hotboat report or something with the weights

Tank

Reaction score
It’s heavy. I’m trying to find a hotboat report or something with the weights

Well, that will change things a bit :D

Gripside80

Reaction score

I believe Lee told my dad his 24 with 525 weighed in at 5000lbs?!?!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Schiada builds each one to purpose so there isn’t going to be a generic weight across the board.

I’m not sure if they made this one light or not, I’d have to ask Lee.

sirbob

Reaction score
I am sure they are.

I was thinking about the weight issues after I saw this yesterday - would they consider a fuel tank in the bow? I was picturing one there with a center fore deck fuel cap like an old Carrera speedster or 550?

Of course my dreams pictured it with a wood deck and one of those new 450hp outboards with u shaped seating in the rear.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was thinking about the weight issues after I saw this yesterday - would they consider a fuel tank in the bow? I was picturing one there with a center fore deck fuel cap like an old Carrera speedster or 550?

Of course my dreams pictured it with a wood deck and one of those new 450hp outboards with u shaped seating in the rear.

You’d be surprised at how much just moving saddle tanks forward a little can change the cg of a boat.

That said I’d expect they will move the batteries and other things as well.

Tank

Reaction score
You’d be surprised at how much just moving saddle tanks forward a little can change the cg of a boat.

That said I’d expect they will move the batteries and other things as well.
this is truth right here. CG is a delicate dance. Our old boat was 38' long and weighed well over 10k lbs. I put a bag of chain and a (fairly large) anchor and a bunch of rope in the boat storage area at the tip of the bow. Boat did NOT like the weight out there and porpoised because of it. I was actually pretty shocked how sensitive it was.

81eliminator

Reaction score
Nice boat, not the biggest fan of not being able to get into the back of the boat but to each their own. Interested to see how it runs.
Did they do an RC with twin Outboards ?
I believe the Cask and Cleaver ski race boat had twin 2.5's

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Given the lighter weight of OB's[ between 500-560 pounds ea] I'm sure, when using those tabs and some trim, this Schiada would pop right out of the water getting on plane, no problem. The dead rise of this 24 is about 22* or even less that helps too. My boat is 24 feet, not counting the built in swimgrid,it's a true 24*hull, having two 6.2/SD's that must weigh around 2200lbs, it gets on plane quick when propped right. Loaded, I have to use tabs and negative trim to get it going, but have a clean run once it's on plane.My boat weighs around 7000lbs.;) Would like to know what this Schiada weighs with the twin OB' once it 's finished?

The Schiada is not a true 24', its actually around 23.5 or so. My I/O version feels heavy in the water but rolls right over onto plane with very little effort or throttle. I would expect this twin OB version will do the same. I am interested to see how it performs once they get it dialed in. I would not want to guess on a top speed, we will just have to wait and see.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Some of you are aware of my white sleek craft, 505 lbs of Yamaha set back 9.5 inches, boat was a handfull back in 2013-14, bow would start to draw circles at 80 and only got worse. there were several setup issues, but in response to the balance subject discussed here. Was making slow progress, decided it was a balance problem, carried a bag of sand around moving it from one location to another. one day I was all setup with a stack of anything heavy I could find, batteries, anchors, chain etc. looking to move the balance point 3 inches forward. with the plan of using plate steel bolted to the back of the bow eye. just needed to determine how much weight in plate was needed. My oldest son was walking by, saw what I was doing and said, "here Dad this is all you need" he asked for the current balance point, how far I needed to move it, where the plate would be mounted etc. got his phone out and in 3 minutes told me each pound of steel bolt here would move the balance point 1/4 inch. He was a senior engineering student a CSLB at the time. the results were astounding, boat now caries 11.7 lbs of plate attached to the back side of the bow eye. runs over 100 like its on rails. so very little weight in the right place is key

spectras only

Reaction score
A gallon of fuel is 6 pounds [ water is 8.4 ] , so, once the fuel in the tank goes down to half or a quarter, CG would get altered more than a few pounds with fuel sloshing to the rear. Unlike cars where gas tanks are transversely mounted, belly tanks in boats are in the center in the keel and can be as long as six feet between 50-80 gallon. Would be advisable to build the gas tank for this Schiada with multiple transfer baffles to somewhat maintaining CG as close as possible.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
A gallon of fuel is 6 pounds [ water is 8.4 ] , so, once the fuel in the tank goes down to half or a quarter, CG would get altered more than a few pounds with fuel sloshing to the rear. Unlike cars where gas tanks are transversely mounted, belly tanks in boats are in the center in the keel and can be as long as six feet between 50-80 gallon. Would be advisable to build the gas tank for this Schiada with multiple transfer baffles to somewhat maintaining CG as close as possible.

Find the correct balance point, mount fuel in a location that centers at that balance point, meaning balance and CG do not change when fuel is depleted, boat only runs lighter

spectras only

Reaction score
Old friend of mine worked for Campbell on both, the Bluebird C7 car and Bluebird K7. He told me the issue with running less fuel affected CG and less weight possibly contributed to the crash.
story you can read here.
Instead of refuelling and waiting for the wash of this run to subside, Campbell decided to make the return run immediately. This was not an unprecedented diversion from normal practice, as Campbell had used the advantage presented i.e. no encroachment of water disturbances on the measured kilometre by the quick turn-a-round, in many previous runs. The second run was even faster once severe tramping subsided on the run-up from Peel Island (caused by the water-brake disturbance). Once smooth water was reached some 700 metres or so from the start of the kilometre, K7 demonstrated cycles of ground effect hovering before accelerating hard at 0.63g to a peak speed of 328 mph (528 km/h) some 200 metres or so from the southern marker buoy. Bluebird was now experiencing bouncing episodes of the starboard sponson with increasing ferocity. At the peak speed, the most intense and long-lasting bounce precipitated a severe decelerating episode (328 mph — 296 mph, -1.86g) as K7 dropped back onto the water. Engine flame-out then occurred and, shorn of thrust nose-down momentum, K7 experienced a gliding episode in strong ground effect with increasing angle-of-attack, before completely leaving the water at her static stability pitch-up limit of 5.2°. Bluebird then executed an almost complete somersault (~ 320° and slightly off-axis) before plunging into the water (port sponson marginally in advance of the starboard), approximately 230 metres from the end of the measured kilometre. The boat then cartwheeled across the water before coming to rest. The impact broke K7 forward of the air intakes (where Campbell was sitting) and the main hull sank shortly afterwards.

Last edited:

Moviemoney

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know how this one will go but here it goes , Hot Boat tested the Howard 220 Magnum with twin mercury 2.5 EFIs in Aug 1993 , it ran over 90 mph with 3 fuel tanks dual saddle tanks and a 90 gal belly tank totaling 160gal. The bottom is SIMILAR not the same its very close but not the same (please lets not get into this hahahah) the boat weighted in at around 4500 lbs , it wasn't specified if that was dry or not. It priced out @ 75k .This is the same boat that evolved into the 22xl . I'm sure the schiada will run much faster then the howard , it will also be quite stable as well because of the opposed rotation of the props . My only point in adding this comparison is that the Howard has twins on a narrow aggressive small straight non notched transom V bottom with a large fuel capacity . It might be the best comparison in terms of hull and weight , the howard has much less power but the 2.5s are defently lighter then the new big mercs. Ill upload the article . Please stand by
IMG_2755.jpg
IMG_2756.jpg

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know how this one will go but here it goes , Hot Boat tested the Howard 220 Magnum with twin mercury 2.5 EFIs in Aug 1993 , it ran over 90 mph with 3 fuel tanks dual saddle tanks and a 90 gal belly tank totaling 160gal. The bottom is SIMILAR not the same its very close but not the same (please lets not get into this hahahah) the boat weighted in at around 4500 lbs , it wasn't specified if that was dry or not. It priced out @ 75k .This is the same boat that evolved into the 22xl . I'm sure the schiada will run much faster then the howard , it will also be quite stable as well because of the opposed rotation of the props . My only point in adding this comparison is that the Howard has twins on a narrow aggressive small straight non noticed transom V bottom with a large fuel capacity . It might be the best comparison in terms of hull and weight , the howard has much less power but the 2.5s are defently lighter then the new big mercs. Ill upload the article . Please stand by View attachment 761327 View attachment 761328
Sweet! More conviction that the Schiada will run mid 90’s.

Wonder where that Howard is now? You’d think it would stand out anytime it was on the water and there’d be pics all over the internet. Where is it???

Moviemoney

Reaction score
Sweet! More conviction that the Schiada will run mid 90’s.

Wonder where that Howard is now? You’d think it would stand out anytime it was on the water and there’d be pics all over the internet. Where is it???
it was regeled all white and sold through Maxed out marine a few years ago

Moviemoney

Reaction score
it was regeled all white and sold through Maxed out marine a few years ago
1993 Howard 22' Offshore equipped w - Twin Mercury Racing 2.5 260EFI Offshores, Kiekhaefer Hyd Tabs, Trim Indicators, Offshore Controls, Livorsi Gauges, Digital Depth, 4 Batteries on Perko Switches, Bimini Top, Full Cover, & Tandem Axle Trailer.
Offered @ $25K
Call for additional information or to schedule a viewing

Maxed Out Marine
928-854-3060
maxedoutmarine.com

Attached Files:
white howard.jpg
white howard 2.jpg

RodnJen

Reaction score
1993 Howard 22' Offshore equipped w - Twin Mercury Racing 2.5 260EFI Offshores, Kiekhaefer Hyd Tabs, Trim Indicators, Offshore Controls, Livorsi Gauges, Digital Depth, 4 Batteries on Perko Switches, Bimini Top, Full Cover, & Tandem Axle Trailer.
Offered @ $25K
Call for additional information or to schedule a viewing

Maxed Out Marine
928-854-3060
maxedoutmarine.com

Attached Files: View attachment 761370 View attachment 761371

Somebody scored!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
...nvrmind, i was late to respond, question answered

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm sure the guys over at Schiada have thought all of this over very carefully. They are the best in the business and while outboards may not be their every day forte, I'm sure this boat won't disappoint. I cant wait to see how this comes together.

stoker22405

Reaction score
I'm sure the guys over at Schiada have thought all of this over very carefully. They are the best in the business and while outboards may not be their every day forte, I'm sure this boat won't disappoint. I cant wait to see how this comes together.

For the dollar figure new boats cost...I would certainly hope the builder's know what they are doing....!

hallett21

Reaction score
How’d this thing turn out?

GregG

Reaction score
24 Schiada with twins??
Boat is a little ways out yet but this is gonna be a crazy bad ass combo!! Twin 300’s on a 24!

Hill has some great props worth trying on those V8's.

Last edited:

Spudsbud

Reaction score
that thing could sink at the launch ramp. All that weight back there !!

GregG

Reaction score

They are not as heavy as you might think. Might squat a bit but not a big concern.

Schiada24.jpeg

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
1100 lbs of engines and drives. Plus the bracket so we could say 1200#ish. How much does a big block with a Bravo XR weigh? A 540 by itself is 1150 lbs. I think this boat will be JUUSSTT fine.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

W.O.T. Marine

Reaction score
Awesome boat. Can’t wait to see more pictures of the build. [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]