WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Restaurants in Palm Desert

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'm headed out to Palm Desert tomorrow through Friday for a conference at Rancho Las Palmas. I'm staying at a pretty awesome Airbnb down the street. Dog is coming with me and the wife is headed out Wednesday night for a little pool time and some marketing/sales support.

Can I get some recommendations for restaurants? Breakfast, lunch/casual dinner, and nicer dinner spots?

BajaMike

Reaction score
Cactus Jacks Bar and Grill (Hwy 111 and Deep Canyon) Best drinks in the desert (i mean the heaviest pour, they fill a big glass with vodka, put a splash of soda on top, all the drinks are doubles, wells are $6.50). Also, the food is very good, the best prime rib in the desert, huge Rueben or other sandwiches, big 3 egg breakfasts and $5.50 Bloody Marys and Mimosa on Sat and Sun only.

It’s always busy with locals, very friendly staff and customers, if you sit at the bar you will make a few new friends. They have an outside patio bar for smokers.....I don’t know about dogs.

Roc’s Firehouse is also very good.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Keedy's is great for breakfast
Las casuelas, Armando''s, Grilla burger, Sammy's, Tommy Bahamas, Mastro's, Il corso, Mitch's, Roy's, Kobe's.

Dringk across the street from you at "The River" pretty good, also Babe's and Aqua pazza.

Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Also, across the street from Rancho Las Palmas is an outdoor shopping center with a Yard House, Fleming’s, PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, 5 Guys burgers, Babes BBQ and others.

fmo24

Reaction score
Aqua which is a sister to LuLu’s in Palm Springs. Good food and drinks. Next to Babes bbq I think

KevinR

Reaction score
Jillian’s on El Paseo is super special and nice.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
If you want some good Mexican food, got to San Miguel in Thousand Palms. Everything is pretty good, but I highly recommend the La Parriada. It's carne asada, chorizzo and bacon serve fajita style. It's large and can feed three. It's pretty amazing...I call it the heart attack.

Another good one is Mexicalli's in Indio. Everything is good there.

If your looking for fine dining and stiff drinks, I would recommend Vicki's of Santa Fe in Indian Wells.

If your looking for strong Margarita in Palm Desert, I recommend Armando's off El Paseo (2 will get you a DUI, 3 will send you to the clinger...they are way strong and yummy).

There is a Yard House nearby, but it's not what it used to be, but if you like corporate, it's across the street from Rancho Las Palmas.

Turnup

Reaction score
Breakfast; Don & Sweet Sue's, Sunshine Cafe, The Palms Cafe, nice but spendy buffet @ the Ritz.

Dinner; across at the River good fun spots mentioned, Tommy Bahama is really great, Mastro is whatever too much $ everywhere, the Ritz has 2 super restaurants try the one at the view away from the hotel, Las Casuelas 2 of them to choose from the one in PS proper is fun and on the strip, the Parker is a cool vibe for a drink and a little tapas.

Really good eating and drinking to be had, have fun exploring no matter where you end up. Your hotel has a good place or 2 to eat as well and a nice bar but they close too early..

BajaMike

Reaction score
There is a good Mexican place on El Paseo Armando’s I think

Armando’s on Ei Paseo is great for Mexican food and very good Margaritas. Tommy Bahamas on El Paseo is good, met my girl friend there 5 years ago, she still puts up with me.

Kobe is very...very good!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I took some Vegetarian nurses to lunch at the Palm Greens Cafe’ this afternoon. A hole in the wall storefront but good scratch made food if you want that kind of food.

Elmers is an off the chain comfort food place that lots of RDP members love.
Damn it’s good.
Solid and delicious.

Roc’s of course.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife seconds Elmer’s for breakfast.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
This place for breakfast...https://www.wilmafrieda.com/

There is an Irish Pub down Bob Hope (the road your hotel is on... supposed to be pretty good https://www.ocainesirishpub.com/

Not sure how far you want to venture but my buddy just opened a Mexican restaurant (think Ensenada street tacos and hot dogs) on the “strip” in Palm Springs... great drinks and atmosphere...https://www.elpatronpalmsprings.com/

And I second @BajaMike for Cactus Jacks for a cool (older crowd) bar/ restaurant with knock your socks off drinks. Prime rib is their staple.

Honestly if you hit El Paseo and just want to bar/restaurant hop there are a ton of good places all within about a half mile.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I 15 or I 10?
Screenshot_20181018-213548_Google.jpg
DOH! Yes, I-10 not 15

BajaMike

Reaction score
This place for breakfast...https://www.wilmafrieda.com/

There is an Irish Pub down Bob Hope (the road your hotel is on... supposed to be pretty good https://www.ocainesirishpub.com/

Not sure how far you want to venture but my buddy just opened a Mexican restaurant (think Ensenada street tacos and hot dogs) on the “strip” in Palm Springs... great drinks and atmosphere...https://www.elpatronpalmsprings.com/

And I second @BajaMike for Cactus Jacks for a cool (older crowd) bar/ restaurant with knock your socks off drinks. Prime rib is their staple.

Honestly if you hit El Paseo and just want to bar/restaurant hop there are a ton of good places all within about a half mile.

Agree....Wilma and Frieda is very good for breakfast, but no Bloody Marys. It’s next to Saks Fifth Ave in the center that also has Tommy Bahamas on El Paseo. They just have breakfast and lunch and they have a nice bakery.

Keedy’s is also great old school breakfast place, I think its been there for 50 years, on Hwy 111.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Mama Gina in El Paseo. If you want formal-ish, sit in the dining room. We prefer to sit in the bar and people watch. Everything on the dining menu is served in the bar as a small plate, half order.

Everything is fresh and as it should be.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

Tuesday night, I went to Cactus Jacks by myself and had a prime rib sandwich with a stiff tequila press.

Thursday, the wife and I went to Armandos. The margaritas were as strong as everyone said. The chile relleno burrito was awesome.

Friday, we were going to head to Wilma and Frieda's but we thought we had to check out by 11 and work intervened in the fun. We ended up stopping by Roc's Firehouse before heading home. The roast beef and chile sandwich was really good.

KevinR

Reaction score
Mama Gina in El Paseo. If you want formal-ish, sit in the dining room. We prefer to sit in the bar and people watch. Everything on the dining menu is served in the bar as a small plate, half order.

Everything is fresh and as it should be.

Mama Gina is a classic. We love it too.

Just Saturday night we tried a new to us Italian restaurant called La Spiga on Hwy 111. Sat outside on the patio. Cannot recommend it enough. Fantasico!

http://laspigapalmdesert.com/mobile.php