WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Not in a great place right now.

MV Mike

Reaction score
It’s never easy to make the right call.
RIP Gracie

buck35

Reaction score
17 is a great run,but only makes this part harder unfortunately. I feel for as I've been here and only time will help. RIP Gracie:(

FreeBird236

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss.
I'll bet it was those walks that got you and her 5 extra years together, be proud.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I’m so sorry to hear this Grad’s. Our fur babies are children and make the bad days manageable. Godspeed to your baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridebig

Reaction score
I don’t know what to say that everyone else hasn’t expressed. So so sorry for your loss. RIP Gracie

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this grads. 17 yeard was a gift. Every dog is different so i wouldnt immediately replace her expecting to fill the void. Go enjoy life for a bit and then start looking. My two cents at least. Sorry for your loss.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear Greg. No matter what, we all come together at times like these and most of us know exactly what you're going through. My heart goes out to you and I wish I had words of encouragement but I don't, it's one of the hardest things to go through and it doesn't get better for a long time :(

RCDave

Reaction score
Sorry man. We had to release two in short order a few years back. Brings a grown man to his knees

mbrown2

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss...same boat here; no kids...Our dog is our kid. She is getting near 14 slowed down but still relatively healthy but preparing ourselves for the inevitable..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our pets can definitely be more than pets. They sense when we hurt, both physically and mentally. They don't judge us, they just love us. They can help get us through tough times. Unfortunately, losing them is one such tough time.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello Greg;
Most of us have been there....
We had the same choice this past January with Bella. I still miss her. It was strange, the wife and I both kept "seeing" and looking for her out of the corner of vision for a few weeks after. Places she would normally hang out. It is a tough thing to go through. My only suggestion is to wait a little while before replacing her. Let yourself heal and then start a new and independent relationship with a puppy or new dog.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Grads, hang in there. It’s a bitch to lose your best friend. I lost my Jack Russel this Fathers Day. He was 15 and went in a couple of days. I’m glad he didn’t suffer. Other than losing his hearing a couple years ago, he was healthy until one day he wasn’t. We also lost our our 13 year old Yorkie on 4th of July. We have an 18 and 19 year old left at home. The worst part is the silence when you come home. Really quiet and hard to get use to. Only time will heal your pain. RIP Gracie

Foscheck

Reaction score
Man, someone must have cut into an onion.......eyes are a bit leaky.
Went through this a couple of months ago. 19 years is a long time.
The only thing that helped was knowing that putting Princess to sleep was the most peaceful, humane way to leave this life. Make you wish you could do this for our human loved ones.
Hang in there. It does get better.

CoronaChris

Reaction score
In the comfort of your home with the people she loved. hard deal for sure but does not get better than that. RIP at the rainbow bridge doing her thing. you will be reunited because all dogs go to heaven.

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Grads.Sounds like she had a good run and I know that doesn't make it easier but it will get better. They truly take a piece of your heart when they go.We have a 14 year old min pin that has cancer and though she's still alert and active we know the day is coming in spite of all our care and love. I feel for you man hang in there and just remember all the goofy shit they do and the good times. I truly like dogs better than I like most people.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
wont take the pain away but at least we are in our happy place.

0276D357-229C-4425-9574-C0BC3E92E9E3.jpeg

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm so sorry Grads. It's no secret that I know how much it hurts, as I documented my loss on here a few years ago. James and I also don't have children and the loss of our furry child was immeasurable. My heart hurts for what y'all are going through.... Rest in peace, Gracie girl.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

GRADS

Reaction score
We had to get out of the house. Waking up without Gracie at the end of our bed was too much too handle. Literally felt like waking up with a knife in my heart. We are really not doing well with this. In public we can somewhat keep it together, in private we are blubbering idiots.

BONER

Reaction score
Losing a Pooch is always brutal. But it happens. Part of Ownership. If it was peaceful, you did a good job and your part.

GRADS

Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate every single post and will eventually go through and "like" all of them. We are getting by barely. Tomorrow will be a struggle when Kate goes back to work and I'm at the house by myself without my partner. Gracie has kept me busy the last 12 years that I've been home....can't tell you how many "conversations" we've had over the years....will be lonely tomorrow.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Really sorry to read this Greg...

Seventeen years is a good long run. Sounds like the both of you had a Great time!

Post a story about her tomorrow...

Peace brother. :)

GRADS

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that Greg. She was such a cool dog. I have been camping since Thursday, so I just saw this.
Thanks man. I wanted to tell you guys and Kim but didn’t want to be a bummer going into the weekend. We actually bounced to Tahoe this weekend and thought about hitting you guys up but didn’t think we could put on a happy face.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Mr. & Mrs. Grads!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Kate and yourself made it possible for Gracie to have 17 years and she appreciated it. The Care must have been incredible.The grief and loss will convert to good memories Greg.

GRADS

Reaction score
So my wife made it public on Facebook which I thought would hurt but it was nice to see everyones comments and how many people knew her over the years.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 10.40.56 PM.png

Last edited:

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Greg, we're not too far from the same fate. I can't stand the thought of it, but it's going to happen. Our lives center around this little fur baby.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Greg, just read this thread since I'm helping the Red Cross in Florida and the Carolinas. I am sorry for your loss, it just makes my heart hurt, especially when I think of my own old dog at home. God, I hate that pain, but you will soon realize you are what made that dog happy. Congrats for giving it a great, long life.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Hey Grads, I am very sorry for the pain you and your wife or going through. I have had dogs in the past, my first a cocker spaniel for 18 years :), and their passing all hurt. When I lost Boris a few years ago, it was not like anything else. Sounds like you had a once in a lifetime dog as well. Its been a few years and I still peer through the side window every other day or so out of habit trying to spot my guy before coming in, some habits stick. The pain lasts a long time, but now even with a tinge of sadness, I smile every time I think of him, you guys will get there too. I am ready for a new dog finally, but my living situation (alone and work too much) wouldn't be fair to the animal. Enjoy some freedom to go and do what you guys want for a while, and see if it feels right after to find a new friend. Happy memories and rest easy that you gave your friend the best possible life, she hit the dog lottery of walks and swimming and everything else. You did your part and she did hers, you are both very lucky. Maybe Gracie and Boris will be fast friends going for a swim waiting to meet us all again at a much later date.

boris14.jpg
borishead.jpg

Orange Juice

Reaction score
The best solution is to find another puppy, just like Gracie, and name her Gracie II.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Aww shit man - so sorry.

Was just there myself - tearing up typing.

Dave

GRADS

Reaction score
Hey Grads, I am very sorry for the pain you and your wife or going through. I have had dogs in the past, my first a cocker spaniel for 18 years :), and their passing all hurt. When I lost Boris a few years ago, it was not like anything else. Sounds like you had a once in a lifetime dog as well. Its been a few years and I still peer through the side window every other day or so out of habit trying to spot my guy before coming in, some habits stick. The pain lasts a long time, but now even with a tinge of sadness, I smile every time I think of him, you guys will get there too. I am ready for a new dog finally, but my living situation (alone and work too much) wouldn't be fair to the animal. Enjoy some freedom to go and do what you guys want for a while, and see if it feels right after to find a new friend. Happy memories and rest easy that you gave your friend the best possible life, she hit the dog lottery of walks and swimming and everything else. You did your part and she did hers, you are both very lucky. Maybe Gracie and Boris will be fast friends going for a swim waiting to meet us all again at a much later date.

View attachment 795359 View attachment 795360
Thanks man, I really do appreciate your kind words. You obviously get it.

GRADS

Reaction score
We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love, cards, flowers and wine for Gracie. Makes us feel like we did something right.

IMG_0881 3.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
My youngest brother who is autistic got on the phone tonight (we live on opposite ends of the country and he still lives with my Dad) and told me he was sorry to hear about my dog....Fuck. It was so kind and heart felt. Major water works.

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
So Gracie came home tonight. It brought on the hurt almost like the day it happened.:( Glad she's here though. Still hurts like a mother fucker.

70467034_10157809190939170_4007054369471070208_n.jpg

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your buddy's passing Greg. It's hard to lose a faithful friend.