WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The NFL watch guy...Arrogance? In Your Face to the NFL?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't care to remember his name.
He was wearing a different high dollar watch in his last game. This one valued at 2.2m! Either they're on loan, or he just likes to show off FU money.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Don't care to remember his name.
He was wearing a different high dollar watch in his last game. This one valued at 2.2m! Either they're on loan, or he just likes to show off FU money.
Odell Beckham Jr. wore the watch in pre game.

JD D05

Reaction score
OBJ...He has FU money. Nadal wears a 800K watch during his matches also. The watch OBJ was wearing is see through, I also believe all the parts half to be cut by a Diamond due to how hard the steel is. I also think Bubba Watson wears a similar watch.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
They said on the radio that Beckham's watch had a sapphire lens, instead of glass. Something like a thousand hours just in tooling the lens. Pretty much can only be scratched by a diamond cutter! Holy shit, I'm more impressed buy the craftsmanship than the watch or the guy wearing it. Some seriously impressive talent.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Meh, I’m a Bulova guy...
I had a ring pop a finger off...haven't worn a watch in years! I like the looks of some of them, but not really a good idea with the stuff I do. I don't get dressed up much anymore either:rolleyes:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
These guys are sponsored...high-profile celebrities wearing a product that generates this kind of buzz aren’t paying retail for their goods.

Oh, and sapphire crystals (all of which are synthetic) are pretty common, you can get a $120 Seiko with a sapphire crystal, and you can get replacements starting around $20 [emoji106]

Obviously prices go up for a replacement crystal for a luxury watch, but that has more to do with the brand and any coatings applied, rather than it being sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I had a ring pop a finger off...haven't worn a watch in years! I like the looks of some of them, but not really a good idea with the stuff I do. I don't get dressed up much anymore either:rolleyes:
I gashed my finger with a ring, luckily without taking my finger off.
Rarely wear one, special occasions.
Haven't worn a watch since around 99 or so either. Plenty of time keepers all around us.

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Hate show boaters like him, but last night he made some fantastic catches last night. To bad both teams probably had as many penalties as the totals score. :)

McKay

Reaction score
They said on the radio that Beckham's watch had a sapphire lens, instead of glass. Something like a thousand hours just in tooling the lens. Pretty much can only be scratched by a diamond cutter! Holy shit, I'm more impressed buy the craftsmanship than the watch or the guy wearing it. Some seriously impressive talent.
The whole case is sapphire crystal. You get a $90M contact and buy a $2M watch? If so he’s a moron. I’m sure he got it at a deep discount to pull this stunt.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The whole case is sapphire crystal. You get a $90M contact and buy a $2M watch? If so he’s a moron. I’m sure he got it at a deep discount to pull this stunt.
On the radio they floated the idea he may have them on loan from the maker. Like an advertising stunt. If people have the money, I'm glad they spend it. Somebody has to do the maintenance on the Lambo, or polish the gold plated toilets;)
Haven't worn a watch since around 99 or so either. Plenty of time keepers all around us.
I still wear a ring...on a stainless chain around my neck;) Phone for time, but mostly I just don't care anymore:p

mbrown2

Reaction score
Google Richard Mille and look at the top stories....all about OBJ wearing their watch. The amount of marketing $$'s it would have costs to get the same results would easily outpace giving OBJ watches free or deeply discounted as he has really raised their brand across a new market. Nadal has wore one for years...he had one on that was 1.2M at the finals of the US Open. I struggle with the these Diva athletes...but OBJ wearing a watch is not an example of that. Athletes like most celebs or anyone in the public spotlight have different revenue streams and different lives...one on the field and one off. I don't agree with blowing a bunch of money but if someone is focused on building their social media brand via a voice or influence all the power to him...Social Media is a real revenue stream and OBJ is constantly doing shit to bring attention to him... 13M followers versus Brady's 6M …. That is lot of people you can influence. Who would have ever thought this website could be a revenue stream or primary job for RD.... Bet RD always thought it could. Little by little RD continues to leverage the power of it to generate additional revenue...goods, services (real estate). OBJ is just trying to get that money!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Like a time piece you wear on your wrist? I think my grandfather had one of those.

They still make those things??

pronstar

Reaction score
Like a time piece you wear on your wrist? I think my grandfather had one of those.

They still make those things??

1.2 billion a year [emoji106]
And 800,000 of those are Rolexes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Spoiled children showing off.....:rolleyes:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, "brand awareness"...
Have this high rolling fooseball player stand for the anthem, and salute a soldier on the sidelines...while wearing the watch on his right wrist (photo op).

Liberal heads will explode, and he'd make every highlight...there I go thinking again:(

pronstar

Reaction score
Ok, "brand awareness"...
Have this high rolling fooseball player stand for the anthem, and salute a soldier on the sidelines...while wearing the watch on his right wrist (photo op).

Liberal heads will explode, and he'd make every highlight...there I go thinking again:(

See “Patrick Tillman” [emoji106]

pronstar

Reaction score
Maybe they should have donated that money to a battered women's program?? How to stay off your knees for idiots book?? Anger management??

Something useful, maybe?

:rolleyes::p

As useful as the flip-phone in your pocket? [emoji12][emoji90]

Backlash

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it again and again..... We've put these morons up on a pedestal because they are athletic. They are making millions of dollars playing a child's game. What do we pay the people who protect our country and sacrifice a lot more than any of these athletes? Or how about those closer to home who keep us safe at night or help us during an emergency? WAFJ. Talk about a society who has their priorities messed up.

Socalx09

Reaction score
This PR stunt was genius. I watch and listen to sports shows and it’s a major headline in every one of them. They mention the watch brand/model and dollar amount. I had no idea about the brand until recently. So it is working. I’m not sure how many people could afford that watch based on the audience watching, but I’m sure a few sales is enough.

Good for OBJ marketing himself. I’d rather see a talented athlete making good headlines these days than bad ones. A bit of a diva, sure. But, is he entertaining? Yep!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Watching "Ballers" on HBO, helps understand a bunch about how these arrogant idiots operate. Money gives them power. Unfortunately God didn't give them sufficient sense to use that power.......

JD D05

Reaction score
This PR stunt was genius. I watch and listen to sports shows and it’s a major headline in every one of them. They mention the watch brand/model and dollar amount. I had no idea about the brand until recently. So it is working. I’m not sure how many people could afford that watch based on the audience watching, but I’m sure a few sales is enough.

Good for OBJ marketing himself. I’d rather see a talented athlete making good headlines these days than bad ones. A bit of a diva, sure. But, is he entertaining? Yep!

People that can afford that watch already know about it.

pronstar

Reaction score
People that can afford that watch already know about it.

True.
But if a brand doesn’t constantly work to remain relevant, to create desire, then they’ll ultimately fail.

Harley-Davidson is a great example.
For decades, they marketed to their base. Then one day they realized their customers are dying off, they have no innovative products, and they’re unable to regain the sales numbers they had before the recession....while all of their competitors bounced-back, and then some.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
NFL players are allowed to wear jewelry that should fit into the category.
Yeah while you were reaching for the remote to switch on the Chargers game:
BMW_Aircooled_-ring-4.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
NFL players are allowed to wear jewelry that should fit into the category.

Yeah while you were reaching for the remote to switch on the Chargers game:
BMW_Aircooled_-ring-4.jpg
Lol, you keep trying to engage me with Chargers/NFL. Still at zero TV minutes on football. It will remain that way.
Same with jewelry, I wear none. Only gold on me is filling holes in my teeth:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Lol, you keep trying to engage me with Chargers/NFL. Still at zero TV minutes on football. It will remain that way.
Same with jewelry, I wear none. Only gold on me is filling holes in my teeth:D
The new rules protecting the QB now have me questioning my interest.
Player cannot take the QB down and land with his weight on the QB.
That rule is not working out. Intermittently called,, sux like a few other rules.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The new rules protecting the QB now have me questioning my interest.
Player cannot take the QB down and land with his weight on the QB.
That rule is not working out. Intermittently called,, sux like a few other rules.
As it always has been with new rules, it takes time to get use to it......like when wearing seat belts or helmets became mandatory.