WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hyd steering?

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Let’s say you have a 25’ v bottom. At what speeds will hydraulic steering be a huge factor? Let’s say the boat runs low 70s but doesn’t have hydraulic steering. Need some info

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Hydraulic steering takes a bunch of strain off the tiller arm and turn pin in a bravo setup. The boat will be more rigid and responsive to steering with full hydraulic.

at what speed would a broken steering cable be severely dangerous or deadly?

70 is getting to that point.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Hydraulic steering takes a bunch of strain off the tiller arm and turn pin in a bravo setup. The boat will be more rigid and responsive to steering with full hydraulic.

at what speed would a broken steering cable be severely dangerous or deadly?

70 is getting to that point.

Might you have a brazil steering valve ? I pinged you in my thread.. I am looking for one.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Racey said, anything above 70 for sure.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I added full hydraulic steering to the helm on my boat about 13 years ago. It is the best upgrade to my that I have ever done. The difference is huge and noticeable constantly. The response to steering input is instant.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Also depends on water conditions. In a river, yea maybe 70 or more. Out in the ocean, I’d say over 50 due to the stresses on the drive .

buck35

Reaction score
Let’s say you have a 25’ v bottom. At what speeds will hydraulic steering be a huge factor? Let’s say the boat runs low 70s but doesn’t have hydraulic steering. Need some info

You pretty much described my boat to a T. First one I've owned with it and steers with a finger. I'll never go back .:cool:

spectras only

Reaction score
Not only giving the steering some help and save some components from premature wear, it is also a safety net holding the drive onto the hull, in case hitting a submerged object, I managed to get my boat home too on one engine with the drive still hanging on. If the drive pulled away far enough, you'd have a big hole to plug rather quick or, better have some huge bilge pumps.;):eek:
broken%20bellhousing

renodaytona

Reaction score
I added full hydraulic steering to the helm on my boat about 13 years ago. It is the best upgrade to my that I have ever done. The difference is huge and noticeable constantly. The response to steering input is instant.

I have hydraulic assist, full helm is on my list of upgrades after the new motor build is completed.

farmo83

Reaction score
I have hydraulic assist, full helm is on my list of upgrades after the new motor build is completed.

How do you like the assist version? I've considered this but heard many mixed reviews.

renodaytona

Reaction score
How do you like the assist version? I've considered this but heard many mixed reviews.
It's definitely better than nothing but my old Daytona had full hydraulic and that is night and day to just hydraulic assisted.