WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pulled the trigger. Vette

floatn turd

Reaction score
That's sweet ass car man!!
But
Please watch this video because I want that car to still be nice..................... when you sell it to me in 15 years after it depreciates enough for me to afford it! :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Top Notch Tommy!!!!
Thanks!
I’m home now and will be in the garage most of tomorrow tinkering and figuring stuff out if you want to stop by.
Gotta go get beer and water in the morning though.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
But
Please watch this video because I want that car to still be nice..................... when you sell it to me in 15 years after it depreciates enough for me to afford it! :D

Lol

I doubt I have 15 years!

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
So someone posted on ar15 today that they dynoed a stock base model at 541 rwhp at 5450 rpm or something. The thread was deleted shortly after. People think he let the cat out of the bag and gm went ape shit on him for releasing info before the launch

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
But

That first one had me laughing so hard. Thanks

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
It's always been my dream car and one day I shall make it my own...............then probably end up on You Tube!!!;)

Have fun.

FT

Lol.
They are actually one of the more affordable cars out there. Especially base models. Any later model corvette is fun, you don’t HAVE to have the whomping Z maxim Lt door blower to experience it.
Even the latest base mid engine is less than some PU trucks.
They’re just not a practical family car.

I paid the same exact amount for Debs new Camry in 2014 as I did for our first one owner C5 Corvette.
$23K
It was a flawless ‘02 triple black baseline convertible optioned out. One owner. I bought it in about ‘09 with 17K on it for roughly 40% of original price.
People would see that C5 and say exactly what you said “Man that’s my dream car! Maybe one day!”

Then they’d drive away in their Suburban or whatever that cost WAY more than a used Vette.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
LOL

That explains alot. Mainly why our insurance is so much on these cars. :p:D

But

NicPaus

Reaction score
LOL

That explains alot. Mainly why our insurance is so much on these cars. :p:D
When I was 21 I went in to buy a new one. The insurance was as much as the payment Lol so I bought a new boat instead. My River neighbor kid has a newer Camaro I joked with him insurance probably a car payment on it. He said he is paying $450 a month insurance.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
One of the benifits if being old.
My insurance premium on the Vette is virtually identical to the Camry. Lol

$348 for 6 months.
Full coverage $500 deductible.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Lol.
They are actually one of the more affordable cars out there. Especially base models. Any later model corvette is fun, you don’t HAVE to have the whomping Z maxim Lt door blower to experience it.
Even the latest base mid engine is less than some PU trucks.
They’re just not a practical family car.

I paid the same exact amount for Debs new Camry in 2014 as I did for our first one owner C5 Corvette.
$23K
It was a flawless ‘02 triple black baseline convertible optioned out. One owner. I bought it in about ‘09 with 17K on it for roughly 40% of original price.
People would see that C5 and say exactly what you said “Man that’s my dream car! Maybe one day!”

Then they’d drive away in their Suburban or whatever that cost WAY more than a used Vette.

C5's are still the best bang for the buck but I think you can't go wrong with any newer one. I picked up this "beater" '02 a couple months ago. I traded my Jeep for it and I would have sold the Jeep for $8K so that's what I figured I paid for the Vette. What else can you get for that kind of money that performs even close to the vette?

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure it will put a smile on your face for many miles to come!

IMG_7114 (Small).JPG

Cdog

Reaction score
So someone posted on ar15 today that they dynoed a stock base model at 541 rwhp at 5450 rpm or something. The thread was deleted shortly after. People think he let the cat out of the bag and gm went ape shit on him for releasing info before the launch

Haha! Ya I saw that too. If it’s true the fucker is gonna be a pounder.

Get ur jorts, new balance shoes & white socks in order. Lol!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Haha! Ya I saw that too. If it’s true the fucker is gonna be a pounder.

Get ur jorts, new balance shoes & white socks in order. Lol!

Base as in LT2?

No way stock C7's with the LT1 dyno 400ish to the wheels ...I would imagine the new engine will increase that by 30-40 to the wheels with the new exhaust,intake manifold and cam. changes. Cubes, heads and compression stayed the same so there is no way the car is going to make anywhere near 500 wheel.

Wonder if they are talking about the new flat plane crank smaller displacement turbo deal that uis supposed to be in the Zora (Z06)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Base as in LT2?

No way stock C7's with the LT1 dyno 400ish to the wheels ...I would imagine the new engine will increase that by 30-40 to the wheels with the new exhaust,intake manifold and cam. changes. Cubes, heads and compression stayed the same so there is no way the car is going to make anywhere near 500 wheel.

Wonder if they are talking about the new flat plane crank smaller displacement turbo deal that uis supposed to be in the Zora (Z06)

Agreed.

Cdog

Reaction score
Base as in LT2?

Yeah the guy claims it’s the base model last I checked on arfcom. 650 hp at the crank in a Lt1 is legit from Katech. I’m sure drivetrain loss is a lot less on a mid engine set up too. Sounds like a fish story to me. I did not press issue since I have no skin in the game .

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
C5's are still the best bang for the buck but I think you can't go wrong with any newer one. I picked up this "beater" '02 a couple months ago. I traded my Jeep for it and I would have sold the Jeep for $8K so that's what I figured I paid for the Vette. What else can you get for that kind of money that performs even close to the vette?

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure it will put a smile on your face for many miles to come!

View attachment 799502

Nice!
The red with tan top is my second favorite color combo.
But I do like polished wheels better.

But you are right, Grads is looking at getting sodomized for around that same price just on a damn clown car.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Nice!
The red with tan top is my second favorite color combo.
But I do like polished wheels better.

But you are right, Grads is looking at getting sodomized for around that same price just on a damn clown car.

The car came with polished thin spokes (correct for 2002) but needed rear tires. Found a guy on the Corvette Forum with a complete set of black wagon wheels with only 5K miles on new tires for only $300 so I snagged them up and swapped them over. Figured I'd run them until they wear out then get new tires for the thin spokes.

IMG_6747 (Small).JPG

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The car came with polished thin spokes (correct for 2002) but needed rear tires. Found a guy on the Corvette Forum with a complete set of black wagon wheels with only 5K miles on new tires for only $300 so I snagged them up and swapped them over. Figured I'd run them until they wear out then get new tires for the thin spokes.

View attachment 799556

Nice. That’s what was on my ‘02.

0A6BF807-76EC-4385-BC2F-3D1687BA0C7B.jpeg
19B31A94-5D8A-4BA9-B235-9EC4DB0E1204.jpeg

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Good looking C5! How long ago did you sell it? How many miles did you have on it?

This is my second C5 but my first was about 10 years ago. I took some long road trips in that car and found it to be a great GT car. When I got this one my intention was to have something primarily for blasting on the mountain roads in the Sierra's but after driving it a few time I remembered what great cars these are. Mine has 130K miles on it and while it is in good over all condition you can tell it has a few miles on it.

I started thinking that maybe I'd sell it figuring I might be able to make a couple extra grand on it and pick up a lower miles C6 or even C7 that I'd use for longer trips, maybe even a cross country road trip next summer.

I test drove a C6 quite a few years ago but not a C7. I'm sure you are going to like the C7 over the C5 but wondering how much difference is there and is it worth the extra money?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My C5 had 45K or so on it when I sold it about 6 years ago. I never wanted to sell it. But we sold everything when Deb got sick.
I would have been just happy as shit to have it back.
It had second gear screwed up when I sold it. But was flawless inside and out. Took the first $15K offered.

This C7 is PACKED with electronic gadgetry. It’s 12 years newer than my C5 was so it’s really a complete different animal.

The problem is finding a perfect 5 or 6.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had an 08 Z06, it was fun for awhile, but on long runs it was hot and noisy, if you put something in the center console it would be cooked in about 20 minutes. It did run like a raped ape, but the seats weren’t multi adjustable like in the newer ones and they weren’t cooled or ventilated either. I’m sure yours is much more comfortable and quieter, but for me it was being low that made it a real pain to get in and out of - that was my reason to get rid of it. Now I’ve got a CTS V - Vette power and Cadillac comfort. Best of both worlds for me.

Beautiful car, enjoy it.

Last edited:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Black cars can be a challenge. I used Zaino Bros on my last black car. I stripped off all the wax and did several coats. The car looked wet and felt like glass.