WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Road trip!

Reaction score
Now if I can just figure out what engine is in this Mustang I'll be set.

The oil pan location might be of some help? :D

resized_20190914_111059-1-jpg.800617

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Is this your new project car Wheeler? Is it an R code?

We will see if I do anything with it other than store it next to my other projects and then possibly send it down the road. I've already got people trying to buy it.

It ends up being an R code and not the Q code that I expected it to be. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. Jacked it up an hour ago and checked the block and it's definitely a CJ casting but without the external counter balance or external oil cooler. I'm going to assume it to be a 1UA crankshaft, I'll look for marking in the morning. It does have the LeMans rods that I expected to see but does not have staggered rear shocks. As I recall this engine came from Norm Nevin of Cloutier, Nevin and Steele around 1977.

If I decide to keep it, I'm not sure if it will remain stock or do a resto mod on it. I'll order a Marti report and go from there.

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
We will see if I do anything with it other than store it next to my other projects and then possibly send it down the road. I've already got people trying to buy it.

It ends up being an R code and not the Q code that I expected it to be. Not sure if this is a good thing or not. Jacked it up an hour ago and checked the block and it's definitely a CJ casting but without the external counter balance or external oil cooler. I'm going to assume it to be a 1UA crankshaft, I'll look for marking in the morning. It does have the LeMans rods that I expected to see but does not have staggered rear shocks. As I recall this engine came from Norm Nevin of Cloutier, Nevin and Steele around 1977.

If I decide to keep it, I'm not sure if it will remain stock or do a resto mod on it. I'll order a Marti report and go from there.

R code is more valuable than the Q. R was a 4 gear shaker hood CJ. Q was automatic standard air scoop car. It's easy to know, just look at the VIN and read the 5th digit. Should be a vin plate where the dash meets the window and the drivers side door jam.

Wheeler

Reaction score
R code is more valuable than the Q. R was a 4 gear shaker hood CJ. Q was automatic standard air scoop car. It's easy to know, just look at the VIN and read the 5th digit. Should be a vin plate where the dash meets the window and the drivers side door jam.

Definitely an R code auto w/o ac. Hood is missing along with shaker. Louvers survived the trip. I didn't check before I hit the road and only assumed that they were bolted down. They were just laying on the rear deck. :eek:

No rear spoiler but the ugly ass front air dam is in the trunk. I have not checked in the back seat of the car as of yet but will see what's there soon.

20190922_072155 - Edited.jpg
20190922_072134 - Edited.jpg

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
One of my favorite cars. Yeah, I stated that R code Q code info wrong. R was just ram air vs Q was not. Transmission option had nothing to do with that. It's been 30 years since I was researching these. Hopefully the Marty report will result in a SCJ which is even more valuable.

Wheeler

Reaction score
One of my favorite cars. Yeah, I stated that R code Q code info wrong. R was just ram air vs Q was not. Transmission option had nothing to do with that. It's been 30 years since I was researching these. Hopefully the Marty report will result in a SCJ which is even more valuable.

It's looking more and more like the SJC that I first thought it to be. No A/C, horns mounted on the passenger side and a few other small things. When I last saw the car some eight years ago it did have the external oil cooler bolted on. The non staggered shocks has me wondering if they were change at one point in time or my memory is failing me. I'll learn more in the morning and after the Marti report is obtained.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Cool Find Wheeler.
I was wondering about the Wheels. They look like something off of a 500-KR.
Interesting nonetheless.
Score!. :cool:

Wheeler

Reaction score
Cool Find Wheeler.
I was wondering about the Wheels. They look like something off of a 500-KR.
Interesting nonetheless.
Score!. :cool:

De Tomaso Pantera wheels. He was going for a different look.

I like the look of painted steel with dog dish hub caps and just might do it if I keep the car. I need to determine a value as it might be cheaper to trade this car off for a restomod that might suit my needs. The rarity and value of this specific car will determine the direction I take.

192699_Ford_Mustang.jpg
8-great-ford-mustang-boss-302-colors.jpg
1969rcodemustang428scj0313.jpg

Or I could murder it. :D

02-classic-recreations-1969-boss-429-mustang.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Tomaso wheels. I was racking my brain where I had saw them. :cool:

I'm not a huge fan of the many murdered looks, but the last pic is well done.
I would hang on to it until I thought it out or died! :D
Just another project to dream of all the options.

Clank123

Reaction score
CCA94E35-C9E4-4452-9A5A-37E06F3B8E48.jpeg
17833F7E-F14C-44CA-8404-A3045E43AFFE.jpeg
D581EB10-BCD8-44BA-AE50-9A99CAC7A4A1.jpeg
4E285535-BF39-464D-8EEE-EBFE5CA433E5.jpeg

Seems like a few of us have some Fords in our Closet!
In 1982, one of my good friends who was a car guy, met Jimmy Connors and they started talking cars and Connors said he had always wanted a Shelby Mustang. Well, I got introduced to Jimmy and the deal was done.
Found a 68 GT500KR that was beat up real bad. Was painted that horrible yellow with black top and interior.
Connors wanted it Mercedes Midnight Blue, so put a tan interior in it and restored the whole car.
Picture is on delivery day. Group foto is a few guys with Connors who showed up when he picked the car up...that’s a young me on the right.
Funny part is picture was taken by his Playmate of the year wife, Patty McGuire.
After she took one ride in the thing she told him she would never ride in it again it scared her too much!
Jimmy loved the car but ended up selling it.

Ps...wish I had better pictures.
As you can see the side shot is two put together!

Last edited:

Wheeler

Reaction score
Great looking car with a nice story to match. Thanks for the pix Dave!

View attachment 800824 View attachment 800826 View attachment 800825 View attachment 800827

Seems like a few of us have some Fords in our Closet!
In 1982, one of my good friends who was a car guy, met Jimmy Connors and they started talking cars and Connors said he had always wanted a Shelby Mustang. Well, I got introduced to Jimmy and the deal was done.
Found a 68 GT500KR that was beat up real bad. Was painted that horrible yellow with black top and interior.
Connors wanted it Mercedes Midnight Blue, so put a tan interior in it and restored the whole car.
Picture is on delivery day. Group foto is a few guys with Connors who showed up when he picked the car up...that’s a young me on the right.
Funny part is picture was taken by his Playmate of the year wife, Patty McGuire.
After she took one ride in the thing she told him she would never ride in it again it scared her too much!
Jimmy loved the car but ended up selling it.

Ps...wish I had better pictures.
As you can see the side shot is two put together!