Blackmagic94

Reaction score
So how does this compare to a “flat bottom”. Also it almost has a M like shape

old rigger

Reaction score
I know it’s my boat. Just never really got under it to see the shape till now

hahaha
Thought maybe you were looking buy.

flat bottom, semi V, 2 totally different rides, performance and so on. Flatties, although there were many made, make shitty jet boats.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So is this a more advanced design for a jet hull

That's funny! Jet hulls you might label as "advanced" would be Air entrapment types like the CP "Gullwing" or tunnel hulls. The Aluminum Sprint boats they use for shallow river running or short course racing are pretty advanced too considering what they can do. JMO.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Those are nice riding, handling boats.
The drop chines make them turn good but can also catch an edge. Forgot who designed it, g&s?
If you stand at the front and look at the bow, you can see where and how they added the beak. Your bow curves along in a nice radius then just goes straight to a point.
A friend of mine has the mold for that. has one built in a v-drive with a Delta pad. Hopefully back on the water next summer, with a mild brummett turbo motor.
Mold is for a hornet not a Carrera. BTW.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Those are nice riding, handling boats.
The drop chines make them turn good but can also catch an edge. Forgot who designed it, g&s?
If you stand at the front and look at the bow, you can see where and how they added the beak. Your bow curves along in a nice radius then just goes straight to a point.
A friend of mine has the mold for that. has one built in a v-drive with a Delta pad. Hopefully back on the water next summer, with a mild brummett turbo motor.
Mold is for a hornet not a Carrera. BTW.

That hull was originally a Hornet. Marty Hatchel was Hornet after he was a rigger at Tahiti, my dad worked with him back then. I worked with Marty at Howard in the 90s. I'm almost 100% he tooled that up himself or at least it was done in his shop. (trying to remember his storys) Liberty boats were the same bottom and had great success circle racing. I think there's still a few running the circuit.
We also had that boat at Hawaiian. I've never been in one though other than to build them.

old rigger

Reaction score
That's funny! Jet hulls you might label as "advanced" would be Air entrapment types like the CP "Gullwing" or tunnel hulls. The Aluminum Sprint boats they use for shallow river running or short course racing are pretty advanced too considering what they can do. JMO.

There's that all white Nordic (I think it's a Nordic) running a Ford. One of the loudest boats you'll hear. Looks like a whale compared to the other 45 year old hull designs still competing. It flat hauls ass and when I've seen it run at the stadium, it shits all over everyone else. Saw him run at the ski races at the Springs earlier this year, flat hauls ass. Very impressive.

fmo24

Reaction score
There's that all white Nordic (I think it's a Nordic) running a Ford. One of the loudest boats you'll hear. Looks like a whale compared to the other 45 year old hull designs still competing. It flat hauls ass and when I've seen it run at the stadium, it shits all over everyone else. Saw him run at the ski races at the Springs earlier this year, flat hauls ass. Very impressive.
I think that is a cyclone which Nordic Ski race boats evolved from or bought the molds??

old rigger

Reaction score
I think that is a cyclone which Nordic Ski race boats evolved from or bought the molds??

That's it. Isn't the Cyclone from down under? Our neighbor at the river has a Nordic but an outboard. He shipped his to France for the Worlds that were last week.

fmo24

Reaction score
That's it. Isn't the Cyclone from down under? Our neighbor at the river has a Nordic but an outboard. He shipped his to France for the Worlds that were last week.
Yes originally. I think Nordic either got the rights to lay them up or bought the molds. There is a 20 and 21 outboard and I saw they have a new version for the worlds based on a Marty Wells bottom

old rigger

Reaction score
Yes originally. I think Nordic either got the rights to lay them up or bought the molds. There is a 20 and 21 outboard and I saw they have a new version for the worlds based on a Marty Wells bottom

You mean his 'V trap' bottom? Guy around the corner has one of those, the Angry Bird boat.

fmo24

Reaction score
You mean his 'V trap' bottom? Guy around the corner has one of those, the Angry Bird boat.
ya, check out the thread about the new #191 boat. Mike Avila #12 or 112 not sure. It is an orange outboard is also the new hull

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I believe the famed Cyclone/Nordic hull design was derived from a fishing boat platform.

fmo24

Reaction score
Here is title not sure how to copy a link:
Nordics latest Ski race rig!
Use the search glass to find the thread

FreeBird236

Reaction score
That hull was originally a Hornet. Marty Hatchel was Hornet after he was a rigger at Tahiti, my dad worked with him back then. I worked with Marty at Howard in the 90s. I'm almost 100% he tooled that up himself or at least it was done in his shop. (trying to remember his storys) Liberty boats were the same bottom and had great success circle racing. I think there's still a few running the circuit.
We also had that boat at Hawaiian. I've never been in one though other than to build them.
That looks the same as a friends 78 Tahiti with a Panther pump.

pixrthis

Reaction score
It’s a cyclone and my ears rang for days because it took me half a lap at the enduro to pass him. It’s unGodly loud with really cool rigging.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score

The bottom of Martie's latest design is a from the Aussie Connelly hull. Martie has modified it some. It is not based on the V Trap design the Angry Bird has.

The Nordic/Cyclone jet bote is owned by Billy Mason out of Phoenix area. It was originally an I/O boat I believe. Beautiful boat, the rigging is really impressive, super fast and stupid loud. Billy's got some mad skills driving that thing.

guest hs

Reaction score
The bottom of Martie's latest design is a from the Aussie Connelly hull. Martie has modified it some. It is not based on the V Trap design the Angry Bird has.

The Nordic/Cyclone jet bote is owned by Billy Mason out of Phoenix area. It was originally an I/O boat I believe. Beautiful boat, the rigging is really impressive, super fast and stupid loud. Billy's got some mad skills driving that thing.
What I find funny about this boat is, when Billy first debuted it with a big Ford engine that boat was not very competitive and ran at the back of the pack in Comp. Jet. after several seasons of dialing it in the boat runs very competitively with big inch aspirated Ford engine. None of the racers in the class complained about the boat when it was slow now that it runs so good they complain that the hull is to big and deep and has a large wake and some racers wont enter the class if the boat is there. The boats size fits the class requirement's. Sounds very hypocritical to me. The 180 deg. headers got to go, it doesn't sound like a boat but rather a tuner car.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
What I find funny about this boat is, when Billy first debuted it with a big Ford engine that boat was not very competitive and ran at the back of the pack in Comp. Jet. after several seasons of dialing it in the boat runs very competitively with big inch aspirated Ford engine. None of the racers in the class complained about the boat when it was slow now that it runs so good they complain that the hull is to big and deep and has a large wake and some racers wont enter the class if the boat is there. The boats size fits the class requirement's. Sounds very hypocritical to me. The 180 deg. headers got to go, it doesn't sound like a boat but rather a tuner car.

Yeah, it was okay when they didn't have to stare at the transom disappearing into the distance. :D

old rigger

Reaction score

Our Neighbor and our friend's son both race these hulls in ski racing, Carl Johnson and Cory Ferguson, and they say the boat's are a handful to drive on the top end.
I haven't seen the jet up close but will try to check out the rigging next time I see it.

old rigger

Reaction score
Yeah, it was okay when they didn't have to stare at the transom disappearing into the distance. :D

At the stadium maybe 3 years ago he was just hanging towards the middle of the pack until the last lap, then he unleashed that beast and passed everyone like they were dragging anchor.

fmo24

Reaction score
Our Neighbor and our friend's son both race these hulls in ski racing, Carl Johnson and Cory Ferguson, and they say the boat's are a handful to drive on the top end.
I haven't seen the jet up close but will try to check out the rigging next time I see it.
I believe theirs are the 20’s. Those run really loose and on the tail when aired out but faster than shit