WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

$485.00 fine....for my dog in my vehicle ticket? wtf?

HitIt

Reaction score
Since nobody else asked, was the dog in ok shape when you got back? If so, maybe your judgement wasn't so bad.

The laws are the way they are to protect people with bad judgement and those around them. Unfortunately the laws apply equally to people with poor as well as good judgement. If your situation was reasonable, sorry you got clipped but I guess you will know better next time.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Man..did you really think you were gonna get sympathy posting this on here..!?!?!.... :D:p

Since everyone is on the dog safety patrol, how many dog owners here travel in the car with their dogs running around loose in the vehicle? That’s perfectly safe for the dog and the occupants too!

wzuber

Reaction score
Live & Learn
And this is why I posted it...so others could learn too. I'll take whatever lumps my be coming. What's is truly sad here is the amount of indignant self-rightousness being displayed here. Generally good people, losing their minds so quickly and easily with only minimal info..

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Apparently you should have added a sign. :)

DC8867EA-B83E-4638-B6DD-88AB92E4D32E.jpeg

Note to self Add “dogs in cars” to do not post list.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Since everyone is on the dog safety patrol, how many dog owners here travel in the car with their dogs running around loose in the vehicle? That’s perfectly safe for the dog and the occupants too!
..im not even a dog owner:D.. As for my cats...those fuckers are always in their car seats:p:D

wzuber

Reaction score
Since nobody else asked, was the dog in ok shape when you got back? If so, maybe your judgement wasn't so bad.

Yes he was and thanks for asking. Additionally, thanks for being sane and reasonable in your response instead of jumping to conclusions and acting like self-righteous, uniformed assholes. My 75lb. pitbull was not in any distress whatsoever. He was standing in the center of the cab with his front feet on the center console wagging, watching the circus going on around him. In fact, it was about 5 min. after I made contact with the animal control officer before it occurred to her to even ask me to start the vehicle and turn on the A/C. If the dog was in danger shouldn't that have been the very first thing she did upon contact? If the dog was in such eminent danger shouldn't she have slim jimmed the door, opened it and let him out? Look at how many people have stated they would have "broke the window" blah blah blah. She had the resources to open the vehicle if SHE TRULY BELIEVED "THE DOG WAS IN DANGER" but she didn't and that's what is additionally annoying about this situation. Her choices, training and actions did't support the problem she thinks she's addressing.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
yep, not a typo....$485.00 fine for leaving my dog in my truck while taking my dad grocery shopping in mid July. I had no other choice as at the time as he had major separation anxiety and the only place I could kennel him where he was reasonably happy was in my truck (at home he destroyed shit). I left the back windows down about 4"-5" and the fronts were down about 2", I gave him a 20 oz.bottle of cold water in his bowl just before I went in and was in the store about 45Min., maybe an hour in total. Ther was still a 1/4" of water in the bowl when I came out. friggen rediculous.

I don’t know where you live but the words “mid July” really don’t give a great description with regard to the subject matter.

Down by the ocean at six in the morning when it’s low 70’s and almost no direct sunlight? Then the story is irrelevant and I’d fight it in court.

10:00 am a shade tree with a breeze by the ocean? Meh maybe..

12:00 lunch time open parking lot 85 degrees no shade?

Minor changes to the story have drastic changes to the outcome.

My dog pretty rarely leaves home, but my old dog when I first got her went to every sales call I went on and was with me all the time. I used to just lock her in the car with the AC running. That was in a coastline climate though.

I had her in my truck in Parker once while we were eating at Bobby d’s. I checked on her several times because it was 100+ out. Everything was fine.. 15 minutes later it was hot in the truck. AC broke. Don’t get me wrong in that short of a time it wouldn’t have killed the dog but it was pretty eye opening as to how fast a car can get hot out here in the sun. That’s out here though..

Some charts for ya I found online.

90108B25-227E-4A30-8348-BB9E9BA0AE24.jpeg
F8BB861F-AD4F-4BAF-8CC5-8348B3D2D1A5.png

buck35

Reaction score
A lot of people jumping to a lot of conclusions here. Was it hot as hell , was the dog distressed, only the op knows any of these answers . Pet's or children dying in cars is horrible and preventable, but folks have gone a tad overboard on the this . That said 45 to an hour is a long time in a vehicle unattended. Glad the dog is ok and you got off with just an expensive lesson .
I had serious reservations about posting,but after reading a few more replies ...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sometimes dogs like kennels (safe space).. it isn’t uncommon that they will think of the owners car the same way.
I get it but as you stated, his details were lacking. My criticism was based off the posted dogs emotional status.

wzuber

Reaction score
I sure hope you have don’t have kids!!!

says the guy that routinely boasts about driving 100+ mph on rice road with his then pregnant wife in the car and now a infant..:rolleyes:
Ya, your the model of "concerned for something" other that yourself :rolleyes:....hypocrite much?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
says the guy that routinely boasts about driving 100+ mph on rice road with his then pregnant wife in the car and now a infant..:rolleyes:
Ya, your the model of "concerned for something" other that yourself :rolleyes:....hypocrite much?

I’m his defense he only tows at 100+.

wzuber

Reaction score
Man..did you really think you were gonna get sympathy posting this on here..!?!?!.... :D:p
Actually, I posted it looking for some direction on how to fight it in court on friday. Let's just say I'm getting "some direction" but not exactly in the "direction" I anticipated. WOW...peeps be all kindsa crazy n shit. lol

JD D05

Reaction score
Yes he was and thanks for asking. Additionally, thanks for being sane and reasonable in your response instead of jumping to conclusions and acting like self-righteous, uniformed assholes. My 75lb. pitbull was not in any distress whatsoever. He was standing in the center of the cab with his front feet on the center console wagging, watching the circus going on around him. In fact, it was about 5 min. after I made contact with the animal control officer before it occurred to her to even ask me to start the vehicle and turn on the A/C. If the dog was in danger shouldn't that have been the very first thing she did upon contact? If the dog was in such eminent danger shouldn't she have slim jimmed the door, opened it and let him out? Look at how many people have stated they would have "broke the window" blah blah blah. She had the resources to open the vehicle if SHE TRULY BELIEVED "THE DOG WAS IN DANGER" but she didn't and that's what is additionally annoying about this situation. Her choices, training and actions did't support the problem she thinks she's addressing.

Whoa! A Pitbull! Does he have his nuts? Because I have seen people loose there shit over that.

Reactions: C-2

DWC

Reaction score
Dog's in cars falls into the category of "mind your own fucking business" for me. I just put mine under the bed cover.

My dogs only get in the car for visits to the Vet. He stays home and seems to like it. At least he acts really excited about it when we get home from each trip.

2Driver

Reaction score
Should have just brought him into the store. Everyone else does these days:rolleyes: make sure to buy your Amazon Service Dog vest for extra points!

81QALfpWoTL._SL1500_.jpg

AZ passed a law about this fake service dog bull shit with a fine of $250. Has to be a real service dog not emotional support crap and the little certificate you can buy on line is still a bullshit service dog.

D19

Reaction score
I did that once and my dog died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Why 30 hours?

I'm just giving him a hard time. The government is the last group that should be trying to teach common sense.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Its a law. You broke it. Dosent matter if it was 70 degrees out. Pay the fine move on.
Someone called the cops, they did their job. You are actually lucky they didnt bust the window. My guess is they saw pit bull and said 'lets wait for animal control'.

My dogs have always loved crates. My truck has 2 keys to leave ac on.

On a side note if the pup has issues hire a trainer, it will make your life and the dogs better.

I would need to see some serious distress on the dog before id call the cops. But, people love to be a hero...

wzuber

Reaction score
NO...THE DOG WAS NOT IN ANY DISTRESS AND NOT ENDANGERED.

As I stated in the OP....I could only kennel my dog in my truck, that's where he was happiest when he was away from me. Obviously, if he's not damaging the interior of my truck like he does at home when left un-attended for periods of time...HE'S COMFORTABLE...no?
COMPRENDO?

wzuber

Reaction score
I used to leave my dogs in the car with it running, but after the last one took it for a joy ride and i ended up tracking her down to a local pets mart i dont trust her anymore so i leave her at home.
LOL... that's hilarious W.T. Like the commercials with dogs diving the puppy to school.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Would they have gave you a ticket if it is running with AC on? Any other state and it would of been in the bed of the truck no matter how hot or snowing its CA though.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Would they have gave you a ticket if it is running with AC on? Any other state and it would of been in the bed of the truck no matter how hot or snowing its CA though.
Good question. Is it still a ticket with ac running? All locked up, but running how would anyone know the inside temp?.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No kidding...the reading comprehension in here certainly leaves something to be desired with some...jeeeezus
Your editing of the original post 15 minutes ago didn't add any real clarification. You left critical details and your true intention of the thread out.

wzuber

Reaction score
20190723_124056.jpg
is this a dog in distress???? no, obviously not. Is he warm? sure. So a dog can't get wzrm from time to time? will he melt if he gets warm? this was taken before i started the truck by the way.....

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score
is this a dog in distress???? no, obviously not. Is he warm? sure. So a dog can't get wzrm from time to time? will he melt if he gets warm? this was taken before i started the truck by the way.....

He is panting. The fur coats and amounts make a huge difference on each dog. Was the ticket under Penal Code Section 597.7 PC?

wzuber

Reaction score
it isn’t uncommon that they will think of the owners car the same way.
ya,,,this is where the "I can only kennel my dog in the truck for him to be reasonably happy" part comes into importance. If people would just READ, and then consider the circumstances. In retrospect to that specific statement I should have left off reasonably because at this ACTUAL point in time he had become significantly more happy and comfortable being away from me while in the truck. He was always good in the truck, never damaged or soiled anything but he would yelp and cry initially as I walked away but the calm quickly. At this time he didn't even yelp or cry he just starred and then layed down in his bed in the back seat like he does when travelling. He's a great dog and we're greatful for that being he is a rescue.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Great. A pitbull. Thats a whole host of other issues.

Now we are gonna gonna have to start an entirely different thread about the dog breed.

Whoa! A Pitbull! Does he have his nuts? Because I have seen people loose there shit over that.

Incidentally the OP should’ve left the windows all the way down. No body is gonna mess with the truck or that pitbill. They are vicious you know.

;);):D

wzuber

Reaction score
He is panting. The fur coats and amounts make a huge difference on each dog. Was the ticket under Penal Code Section 597.7 PC?
yes...could it be any more vague? shouldn't there be at the very least a maximum outside air temp stated to remove any doubt as to what is the acceptable standard? Obviously, from the "quality" of reply posts here the general publics ability to make a "reasonable decision" is at the very least skewed.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
If you had a Tesla would you still get a ticket?

5EAC759F-9E1D-44DD-8022-16B28AB9EB26.jpeg

I can’t stand people that drag their dogs everywhere and then leave them tied up outside or in a car. But that’s just me. I think that law is a bs “zero tolerance” law which throws all common sense out the window. If they felt so bothered by the dog in the car why not do something about it rather than just leaving a ticket in the window? Sounds like a cash grab to me. Regardless I’d fight it and just say the car was on and ac running and the dog was in no danger. What do you have to lose? Come prepared with the weather at the day/time etc and perhaps get your receipt with time stamp on it to show how long you were actually gone to when the ticket was written.