WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reliving 90s Motocross Glory Days

sprintcvx

Reaction score
Great vid! I can almost smell the 2stroke smoke from here.;)

ltbaney1

Reaction score
VP c12 and Maxima castor 927 through my CR250. i can still smell it like it was yesterday. nothing like going for a ride in my fleshgear over the boot pants and a LBZ shirt. i miss it.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I remember people at Havasu marina kind of whispering that's McGrath over there in the parking lot in like 1995, I looked and he had a brand new red chevy dually slammed and that red/white
checkered Eliminator. It was like the ultimate Peterbilt/Mti setup now, at that time, the coolest...

westair

Reaction score
I'm working right now where the Carlsbad motocross track once was …. I can still see the start and where the 1st turn used to be through all the weeds and brush, had some good times there

Your ad here

Reaction score
There's another video like this that was part of the motivation to get this. Since it was easy I made it street legal for beer runs.
20190726_192313.jpg

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
Such a rad time to have lived through!! My kids will never understand any of this.....

I remember seeing Mcgrath, Emig, Degan and several others back in the day at the sandbar in the 90's not giving an F about racing!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I remember people at Havasu marina kind of whispering that's McGrath over there in the parking lot in like 1995, I looked and he had a brand new red chevy dually slammed and that red/white
checkered Eliminator. It was like the ultimate Peterbilt/Mti setup now, at that time, the coolest...

Friends of ours have his old Daytona 28 used in the crusty videos. He was sponsored by kicker at the time he owned it and they put a stereo in it that is absolutely ridiculous. Troy Lee worked with eliminator to lay out the graphics in the gel. He autographed the boat in a few spots, pretty cool.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
The 90s were the best. I enjoy watching/listening to the Whiskey Throttle Show wit Pingree and Langston. They have some great guests and get into a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from the 90s. Its fun to listen to and relive.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
To me the best was supercross at the LA coliseum, bikes jumping back into the stadium was awesome. The crowd went nuts when McGrath opened up a lead and started doing his showtime nack nacks over the triples. It was unimaginable that he was doing that move. Who would have thunk that backflips would have become the norm these days.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
The 90s were the best. I enjoy watching/listening to the Whiskey Throttle Show wit Pingree and Langston. They have some great guests and get into a lot of the behind the scenes stuff from the 90s. Its fun to listen to and relive.
I was never a MX guy (mom wouldn’t let me :(), but I’m good friends and work with Pingree. I’ve heard some very cool and funny stories from him through the years. I still need to make it on over to a taping of the show.

outboard_256

Reaction score
i miss the neon colors :( Still remember my first ride on a 2-stroke, my dad's KX420. Handled like a shoping cart but had endless power for a kid. Ended up with a sensible XR250 but was cool to ride for a few times before I got my bike. I was too light to even start it, had to have someone else do it. Probably only ~10 years old at the time.

BONER

Reaction score
The good ol days. Back when Moto Kids were Party Animals. :)

77charger

Reaction score
And back when any pro rider can jump on any size bike at any track without whining.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Funny how they say Carmichael ruined all the fun. He was the first guy with a personal trainer and that would go to bed early the night before a race. When I raced in the 90's we would get baked all to hell in the van before each moto, it was pretty much the norm.

c_land

Reaction score
Funny how they say Carmichael ruined all the fun. He was the first guy with a personal trainer and that would go to bed early the night before a race. When I raced in the 90's we would get baked all to hell in the van before each moto, it was pretty much the norm.

Just like villopoto. Damn gingers!!!

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score

Took my 16 year old to Milestone last Sunday for practice. We were sitting in the truck taking a break and I am getting a little irritated with someone playing some music where the bass notes are rattling my mirrors. Then we both get a big whiff of weed in the air. My kid says it is coming from the F-250 that had just parked next to us 15 minutes earlier. We both look over at the two twenty somethings sitting in the truck like Cheech & Chong. My kids simply says "Do you supose it is a bad idea to do a big bong rip before you go out on the track?" Smart kid.

Holymoses

Reaction score
Love watching that video! Miss those days. I raced the last Works race of the season last year in Havasu for the first time. Lined up with McGrath and Josh Grant. Never thought I’d get to experience a race with a legend!

Magic Mike

Reaction score
"You've got some serious problems you need to work out with yourself"

I've watched Seth Enslow take that HUGE jump wfo 4th gear, in the sand over and over so many times. RAGDOLL, RAGDOLL!!!!!!
I used to watch it if I was having a bad day. I still love the OG crusty...

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
This would be norm when we would go riding at Ocotillo. Party and dirt bike. When we woke back up from partying to hard we hit continue. So many times we'd go to make breakfast and find uneaten burritos in the microwave from the night before.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Who here still has their old gear? and can fit in it? I'm still wearing my old Aplinestar boots, fly knee pads, KTM orange gloves that are missing finger tips, and a black visorless helmet. Never got into jersey or pants. Just wore shorts and a cut off T.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The river will never be the same. I was lucky enough to be a kid growing up going to havasu in the 90s/2000s.

Race fuel and 2smoke still takes me back to the channel. Even to this day!

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
"You've got some serious problems you need to work out with yourself"

I've watched Seth Enslow take that HUGE jump wfo 4th gear, in the sand over and over so many times. RAGDOLL, RAGDOLL!!!!!!
I used to watch it if I was having a bad day. I still love the OG crusty...
that was such a HUGE HIT!!!!! BALLS OF STEEL

77charger

Reaction score
View attachment 799940
This is what a ride in that era
Wanted one in early 90s but none in stock ended up with a used 250.Ended up finally breaking my arm in 97 sold it right there then regretted it but have a 500 now i bought about 10 years ago only ride it about 3 times a year at glamis.I sure as heck cant ride like i did 25 years ago thats for sure.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Wanted one in early 90s but none in stock ended up with a used 250.Ended up finally breaking my arm in 97 sold it right there then regretted it but have a 500 now i bought about 10 years ago only ride it about 3 times a year at glamis.I sure as heck cant ride like i did 25 years ago thats for sure.

This one was a 1994. Totally stock but had the suspension done. Sold it for $2900

Carrera205

Reaction score
If you have Instagram there is a great page to follow that's all 90s mx. Pics and snips from races on TV.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Who here still has their old gear? and can fit in it? I'm still wearing my old Aplinestar boots, fly knee pads, KTM orange gloves that are missing finger tips, and a black visorless helmet. Never got into jersey or pants. Just wore shorts and a cut off T.
Lol, just last week I took my all leather riding boots to Goodwill still in very usable condition.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I was never a MX guy (mom wouldn’t let me :(), but I’m good friends and work with Pingree. I’ve heard some very cool and funny stories from him through the years. I still need to make it on over to a taping of the show.

I'm sure Ping wouldn't remember me, but my buddies and I had built a supercross (read arena cross) track at my best friend Damian's place and David, Button, and Ted Campbell and a few others used to come up once in a while to get out of the heat in Phoenix. I was just a novice at the time and it was crazy how much I'd learn every time they came to ride. Damian is a Captain at Central Yavapai Fire District in Prescott now and still keeps in touch with Ping as far as I know. Those were the best times to be a dirt bike kid for sure!

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't have any of my old stuff but I miss the neon 90's for sure! And custom painted helmets, LOL.

27046_432097787570_2005674_n.jpg

wayniac

Reaction score
This would be norm when we would go riding at Ocotillo. Party and dirt bike. When we woke back up from partying to hard we hit continue. So many times we'd go to make breakfast and find uneaten burritos in the microwave from the night before.

We were worse in glamis.. I would occasionally unload my bike friday night, and load it back up on sunday without even starting it... Definitely had some great times back then. Had the pleasure of riding with quite a few pros out there. They just see things differently.

The box vans were like party buses, and the pits were a lot more relaxed for sure. KTM also used to get a pallet of redbull every month, so we would take cases of the stuff to the river... Not sure how my heart made it through that. Love Vegas, and the US Open and everything about it. It was bars to Race to studio 51 to OGs... good times...

Tank

Reaction score
Watch unchained - the untold story of freestyle MX. great documentary about how crustys started and racing politics etc.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Oct. 26 Marty Tripes is putting on an old school race at Cahuilla. Lots of old pros have promised to show up.
I'm not an old Pro but I like to hang out with a few of em. Me and Brad Lackey at the CZ World Championships 3 years ago.

FB_IMG_1486421525139.jpg

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
He ment the the Simo brothers that started No Fear and Bad Boys club. Mitchel and David and them are partners in Trust Me Vodka.

I figured that out after my wife told me who the other partners were. Mitchel is a friend, and my wife has taken some cases to Havasu for customers out there.