Reaction score
How is that even possible? Wow.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Time for the sport chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
The trailer had to have a super long extension to get out from under camper. Massive leverage.
I have a buddy running a similar setup on. 2500. I will show him this.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Is that the new “all” aluminum one, frame included?:p

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The trailer had to have a super long extension to get out from under camper. Massive leverage.
I have a buddy running a similar setup on. 2500. I will show him this.
I've run a truss on a camper before...if the truss did that, the hitch is impressively built. The only thing I can think of is the frame has been loaded heavy with the camper, causing stress cracks with the help of corrosion. Then add the hitch weight, turning the axle into a fulcrum point.

Hell, older guy, camper and race hauler...could have a restored Massey or Deere in the trailer too:)

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
And he just keeps on buying Fords. o_O

Ford frame flex.jpg

BajaMike

Reaction score
Its a Ford. So funny......may be so true soon!

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I'm curious about the tongue weight?? My son has an extension to get out past the Lance camper and I thought it was safe....He pulls a fairly big Crestliner fishing boat, fairly light tongue weight, but he better look into this...FYI, his is a Chevy 2500....
Ray

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's what really gets me about the second pic. Most setups I have seen were the standard truss type deal. This one has probably a 6ft tongue extension. I think both leverage up your tongue weight though. Only other options are things like Trailer Toads and the custom trailers you see behind buses, with load bearing wheels and tires under the tongue.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s two different trucks!

Wow

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
It's an obscure option from Ford: Dump Bed

Something's fishy about these pics:

20190923_184902-jpg.801018

ford-frame-flex-jpg.801055

4Waters

Reaction score
It's an obscure option from Ford: Dump Bed

Something's fishy about these pics:

20190923_184902-jpg.801018

ford-frame-flex-jpg.801055
Same camper, same trailer 2 different trucks, almost like the guy overloaded one and bought a new truck and did the same thing with the new one. He didn't learn the first time, too much leverage with that trailer.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s two different trucks!
Wow

Yep, you nailed it...Now I'm doubting the picture all together... Staged, chopped?? Got to be a Dodge Ram ad conspiracy...
Ray

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Looks like Photo shopped the brown or white paint so they could use picture for business.

Rotten deal

Reaction score
Looks like 2 different locations also. Look behind 1st pic. Structures and trees . Not in 2nd pic.

fmo24

Reaction score
This reminds me of when my dad would haul Original Coors to Chicago for his family and friends. Lol. Camper floor would be loaded

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
In the 2nd pic the trailer has a tongue extension on it (you can see the coupler underneath the camper overhang), not a receiver or hitch extension which would actually lessen the hitch load. The trailer axles being the folcrum and the trailer frame and tongue being the lever, the load on the tongue is substantially reduced.

What I find fishy is wouldn't there be some sort of evidence of damage to the driveshaft hanging underneath? What can be seen under the truck just looks too clean for a frame failure like that.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think one is a 350, the other a 450? Impressive if the same guy did manage to snap over 150k in trucks by overloading.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This reminds me of when my dad would haul Original Coors to Chicago for his family and friends. Lol. Camper floor would be loaded

Yeah, my dad did the same to Alaska.
His 12’ open road camper would be packed along the side rails.
There were hatch doors inside for access.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Wouldn’t the long tongue decrease the tongue weight?
I’m thinking he might have a real heavy load in the trailer and possibly a tuner on the motor. With a dually if he smashed the throttle off the line coupled with the camper weight that would put a ton of stress on the frame in the area it failed.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Looks like the front of the camper is turn buckled to a bar that goes across underneath the frame rails? That camper looks ass heavy, if he hit a bump or a dip and the camper wanted to rotate backwards, it would be pulling up on the frame pretty hard.

With the camper pulling up, and the trailer pushing down on the hitch, I can see how it might fail. Two pictures of the same thing is definitely suspicious though...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the long tongue decrease the tongue weight?
I’m thinking he might have a real heavy load in the trailer and possibly a tuner on the motor. With a dually if he smashed the throttle off the line coupled with the camper weight that would put a ton of stress on the frame in the area it failed.
Yes, it would decrease the tongue weight. Make it a pain in the ass to hook-up and forget going over too tall of bumps and/or dips, but yes.

There is no way the torque of the engine snapped or bent the frame rails. Specially evenly like that. The twist of the engine would cause it to be twisted as well as bent/broken.

I believe photo shop on the 450. I bet the 350 photo actually happened, likely after years of loaded use and a friend of his was giving him shit for buying another Ford so he photo shopped the 450 doing the same.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Looks like the front of the camper is turn buckled to a bar that goes across underneath the frame rails? That camper looks ass heavy, if he hit a bump or a dip and the camper wanted to rotate backwards, it would be pulling up on the frame pretty hard.

With the camper pulling up, and the trailer pushing down on the hitch, I can see how it might fail. Two pictures of the same thing is definitely suspicious though...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
A properly secured camper has almost zero movent relative to the truck bed and they are designed so their CG is almost directly above the axle, like a 5th wheel/gooseneck. Almost zero rotational energy to control.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The only way I could see damage like that happening is if the truck would have stopped quickly, as in it ran into something.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
You must own a ford and not want to believe it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are identical camper shells and trailers. But different trucks. Come on. What’s the odds of that. Seriously, use your brain.

buck35

Reaction score
Yes, it would decrease the tongue weight. Make it a pain in the ass to hook-up and forget going over too tall of bumps and/or dips, but yes.

There is no way the torque of the engine snapped or bent the frame rails. Specially evenly like that. The twist of the engine would cause it to be twisted as well as bent/broken.

I believe photo shop on the 450. I bet the 350 photo actually happened, likely after years of loaded use and a friend of his was giving him shit for buying another Ford so he photo shopped the 450 doing the same.

I suggest you pick up a full 5 gallon bucket and hold it close ,then stretch you're arm out to test this theory....

Edit , you may be correct as the center of gravity is the same but the fulcrum has changed. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to load up his trailer...

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
How many have had the front wheels of a crew cab in the air?

I have, plenty of times.
With a wrecker, you can only lift so much, think teeter totter.
If my front wheels came off the ground, lifting another vehicle, obviously I couldn't tow it. I've towed some vehicles that were way too heavy for the wrecker, less than 2 to 400 pounds for front axle weight. Scary sh!t. Never had a truck break I half like that. Weight laws have changed considerably for me. Now it's a 50% rule. I can't unload the front axle by more than 50%. This governs what I can legally tow. Most would be surprised how much flex a wrecker goes through on a daily basis.
There is definitely more to this camper truck frame failure.
What is "The Rest of the Story?"

Dan'l

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Looked up the image in Google.... https://images.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27945629/print/true.cfm

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27925813/gotomsg/27940177.cfm#27940177

Posted By: ib516 on 09/12/14 11:08am

Here's what was posted after the picture was posted:

Q: Is that broken frame or just flexing?

A: She broke. Did some research trying to figure out the weight of that slide in. Based on the position of the slides, length, and the vent covers- that's one of the high end Okanagans and the dry weight id 4664lbs. Loaded weight is nearly (roughly) 2000lbs beyond the capacity of that FX4. Then add the tongue weight, passengers, etc. I'd bet I would be pretty close in assuming he was about 4000lbs over.

Then, by the person who posted the picture originally:

Small update to this: guy is back on the road with the same "fixed" truck hauling his camper and trailer in tow :/

Apparently found a local shop that bent it back straight and *supposedly* has it good as new. In one day. That's either really stellar or really fishy.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I suggest you pick up a full 5 gallon bucket and hold it close ,then stretch you're arm out to test this theory....

Edit , you may be correct as the center of gravity is the same but the fulcrum has changed. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to load up his trailer...
Yeah, your example of the 5 gallon bucket is the inverse. It's more like a cheater bar on a wrench and like what the mathematician Archimedes said "Give me a leveler long enough and a point to rest it on and I will move the world".

jetur

Reaction score
Holy tounge weight. Wonder what's in the front of the trailer.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Ford frames are HSLA steel. High strength low alloy steel. It is strong until it isn't, pretty brittle and not forgiving. When I had my relatively small collision repair shop, we changed about four or five Ford frames per year. You are not allowed to heat HS steel and all pulls had to be made cold, so the insurance adjusters would write to replace the frames on many newer trucks, not just Fords.