WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Machine Shop Recommendation - La Verne Area

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Hey all. Working on a project 77 Cherokee Chief for my daughter who will be driving soon. About to pull the engine for a rebuild. Looking for a recommendation of a reputable machine shop. I know they are never cheap, but I am building a stocker, not a race engine.
Engine is an AMC 360 and I am located in La Verne.

Any tips or pointers about these engines would be greatly appreciated as I am still learning about them.

Thanks in advance.

Frank (909) 532-2581

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Haven't been out there for a bit, but JMS in Monrovia had been good in the past.

4Waters

Reaction score
Damn, missed the smog exempt by 2 years, if you didn't have to smog it then the cheapest way to go would have been a basic SBC with a turbo 350

Riverbottom

Reaction score
AMC 304, 360, 390 & 401s are great engines. The oiling system is the weak link. Look up rear oil galley modification , it is pretty simple to drill and tap the block in the valley and run a copper hard line or braided line to feed oil to the rear. Also the distributer gear is known for galling. You can drill and tap the timing cover and run an eighth inch line from the oil sender above it to add lubrication to the gear. When I had V8 Jeeps I did this to my 401 and 360, it is good insurance while you have it apart.

Some machine shops do not like to work on AMC V8s as the block has a real high nickel content and is hard on tools.

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Thanks all. My thoughts.
JMS - I know they are good, and rivermobster worked there. Thought they were a high end kind of shop and would be out of by budget range. I will call Joe for info.

Brian/SB - I thought he manufactured parts etc. Does he do automotive machining?

Riverbottom - I know of the oiling weak link at the rear. Will probably do it. I have been on a forum for these FSJ's for a while. Not many people out this way though.

Thanks all. Any other shops in case JMS doesn't work out?

wzuber

Reaction score
Jody runs the machine shop @ car quest in upland. he's excellent on most all engines f&d. he's been running that shop for prolly 30 +years. they are always very busy. if he's not confident w/an amc he will tell u straight up and refer u to somebody if he knows of a good guy if u ask.
Jms is shit...mike johnson the owner specifically. if u want more info on that feel free to pm me. i hope this is some help to u. good luck

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
As long as it's not an Oldsmobile, I'd take it to JMS

redone76

Reaction score
J&A Engine in Azusa. They’re on Irwindale just south of the 210. I’ve had great experiences with head work and a few buddies have had engines rebuilt with them. Good with stock stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

240Hallett

Reaction score
Jody runs the machine shop @ car quest in upland. he's excellent on most all engines f&d. he's been running that shop for prolly 30 +years. they are always very busy. if he's not confident w/an amc he will tell u straight up and refer u to somebody if he knows of a good guy if u ask.
Jms is shit...mike johnson the owner specifically. if u want more info on that feel free to pm me. i hope this is some help to u. good luck
Always had good results with Jody’s work in the past.

wzuber

Reaction score
is Blairs still around and doing good work? They've rebuilt a stock SBC for my work truck some 30 years ago and I've abused that thing good and it's never had an issue, still runnin good.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Always had good results with Jody’s work in the past.

909-982-1856
Jody for all your machine shop work he does work for local boat shops too
strait shooter