WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Can Am’s. Educate Me

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Its so weird to me. How does someone buy such a big toy, dump gobs of money on upgrades in it, and only put 200 miles on it then sell? I see it all the time. Does life just get in the way? Or they decided they hate the sport? or is it the thrill of the hunt and once they get it they sour? Always want to ask.

200 miles is a normal day of riding for my group. lol

The credit card Ivan Stewart’s probably scared their wives and are one trip and done. As you say, many just like to build and don’t have the time or desire to use them. I know quite a few guys that “overbuild” to the point they are afraid to use the car for fear of ruining, scratching, or getting it dirty. Absolute best guys to buy from if you can get them off their high asking price.

getreal

Reaction score
Just my .02.
When the RZR 1000's came out, I bought the 2 seater. My friend's asked me why I didn't buy the 4. I joked, I'd rather hurt 1 person not 3.
Fast forward, I bought a CanAm 4 seater, we went with Dave on a ride to the cabins. I was right behind Dave when a bolt on the rear suspension came out. I rolled at around 10 mph. The insurance totaled the car (the frame bent).
If you wanna go fast , get a 2 seater, if you want to take people (and care about them) get a General.
I drove my CanAm really hard, if the bolt would have came out at speed, I may not be texting right now. You may not like my opinion, get back to me when you crash at speed.
My next car will be more of a "purpose built" like a Drakart.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Just my .02.
When the RZR 1000's came out, I bought the 2 seater. My friend's asked me why I didn't buy the 4. I joked, I'd rather hurt 1 person not 3.
Fast forward, I bought a CanAm 4 seater, we went with Dave on a ride to the cabins. I was right behind Dave when a bolt on the rear suspension came out. I rolled at around 10 mph. The insurance totaled the car (the frame bent).
If you wanna go fast , get a 2 seater, if you want to take people (and care about them) get a General.
I drove my CanAm really hard, if the bolt would have came out at speed, I may not be texting right now. You may not like my opinion, get back to me when you crash at speed.
My next car will be more of a "purpose built" like a Drakart.

Glad you were ok. I’m not saying this to be a dick, but it is off roading. You have to expect stuff will break and/or get loose.

If you are going to drive it hard (or at all) and care about your safety, you really need to nut and bolt and inspect the car often, not just run it for 50 hours and bring it into the shop for maintenance. The monkeys at the dealer aren’t going to inspect it and put a wrench on every critical fastener either. So preparing the car ultimately is your own responsibility.

On the other hand sometimes stuff does simply fail, not a lot anyone can do.

You have the exact same prep responsibility with a Drakart, or anything else.

DMF

Reaction score
Glad you were ok. I’m not saying this to be a dick, but it is off roading. You have to expect stuff will break and/or get loose.

If you are going to drive it hard (or at all) and care about your safety, you really need to nut and bolt and inspect the car often, not just run it for 50 hours and bring it into the shop for maintenance. The monkeys at the dealer aren’t going to inspect it and put a wrench on every critical fastener either. So preparing the car ultimately is your own responsibility.

Agreed 1,000%!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

His car was brand new when it happened.. I would bet the thing didn’t have 50 offroad miles on it.

Can’t speak for Roy but the only other time I saw it in the dirt was we went up to bison once and he took my wife up to bison once. After that we were going with a big group out to the local cabins in the desert.

That all said shit happens.. and there isn’t an answer for everything let alone on the internet

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
His car was brand new when it happened.. I would bet the thing didn’t have 50 offroad miles on it.

Can’t speak for Roy but the only other time I saw it in the dirt was we went up to bison once and he took my wife up to bison once. After that we were going with a big group out to the local cabins in the desert.

That all said shit happens.. and there isn’t an answer for everything let alone on the internet

Sure, but he said he drove the thing hard, so you can understand the thinking there.

Although one probably should nut and bolt the thing when you take delivery, I probably wouldn't either for 20-50 miles.

Random shit does happen. I had a secondary clutch bolt (a 10.9 rated bolt torqued to 40 ft lbs) break earlier this year and no one I've talked to has ever even heard of that happening.

That said RD, call one of your peeps over with a torque wrench and have them give your new car a once over for a couple beers.

Englewood

Reaction score
Brand New RZR S Dynamix is $29,999 OTD. I got mine for $28,700 OTD but the dealer messed up on the paperwork.

getreal

Reaction score
I had it in for service the week before for the same problem same side.
Never rode it until the weekend we crashed.
Maybe they didn't fix it properly, that's not the issue
It's not that something broke, it's that it did so much damage to the car @ 10 MPH.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Sure, but he said he drove the thing hard, so you can understand the thinking there.

Although one probably should nut and bolt the thing when you take delivery, I probably wouldn't either for 20-50 miles.

Random shit does happen. I had a secondary clutch bolt (a 10.9 rated bolt torqued to 40 ft lbs) break earlier this year and no one I've talked to has ever even heard of that happening.

That said RD, call one of your peeps over with a torque wrench and have them give your new car a once over for a couple beers.

Mine upon delivery was a POS. Missing several bolts, stuff just not right. I ended up tearing the machine down and going through everything. I reached out to CanAm since the dealer (Moto United) did nothing, CanAm was very interested in the issues and even sent a guy out to look at my rig. I took photos of everything that was missing or wrong. They ended up switching out my unit since some of the bolts that were missing were suspension / driveline related. I'm sure it was to reduce their liability. I really appreciated what they did, and their concern, I will by more from them because of that... just not from Moto United.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I had it in for service the week before for the same problem same side.
Never rode it until the weekend we crashed.
Maybe they didn't fix it properly, that's not the issue
It's not that something broke, it's that it did so much damage to the car @ 10 MPH.

What actually broke or backed off?

It certainly depends on how you roll. A guy rolled his new Can Am at 10 MPH 50 feet away from me a couple years ago. We flipped it back over, and it just had scrapes, and a broken windshield and a bruised ego.

But if something in the suspension or steering fell of, yea, that could cause big problems.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

There was initially issues with the front arms buckling over pretty minor stuff..

Then again there was other guys bucking those things halfway down the dunes with no problems. Lol

Albert

Reaction score
E43D36A9-031D-46B0-814A-98E669C1D3B7.jpeg
59B3AAED-B5C6-4392-BC2E-9A54441E3E45.jpeg
My Can am had the rear right caliper bolts loose I was greasing the hubs and found this. I bent the rear trailing arm hitting the whoops around 50 but one of the radius arms was bent which caused the trailing arm to weaken kinda like a triangle support one side damaged weakens the others

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
View attachment 803300 View attachment 803299 My Can am had the rear right caliper bolts loose I was greasing the hubs and found this. I bent the rear trailing arm hitting the whoops around 50 but one of the radius arms was bent which caused the trailing arm to weaken kinda like a triangle support one side damaged weakens the others

Who was doing all the work? That’s a lot of tools to pack

Reactions: DWC

Albert

Reaction score
I brought a service truck just in case luckily it was a guys trip with my guys from work , they knocked it out . They had to press one of the bushings that was a little bit of a pain.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Who was doing all the work? That’s a lot of tools to pack

That is about what I carry on my car, minus the impacts. These things come apart with pretty simple tools, The impact makes life easy, but a breaker bar will do the job.

It all fits in 1 action packer that I can barely lift out of the bed :)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

My dad broke the bolt on his primary, was a bear to repair, had to take it to a machine shop to drill it out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That is about what I carry on my car, minus the impacts. These things come apart with pretty simple tools, The impact makes life easy, but a breaker bar will do the job.

It all fits in 1 action packer that I can barely lift out of the bed :)

I carried a pretty simple tool kit in my ranger the whole time I owned it.. pry bar some various sockets and wrenches and some wrenches along with a dewalt impact...

Only ever changed tires. The one time an upper suspension bolt failed the best tool I had was my cell phone. Lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My dad broke the bolt on his primary, was a bear to repair, had to take it to a machine shop to drill it out.

That one is somewhat common, because it is that weird 9 inch long bolt with the thin section in it. I believe Polaris has revised that specialty bolt a couple times, and breakage is less common. The secondary is just a regular bolt. Based on the recommendations here I took it to an EDM shop, he was able to get it out clean. I put in a new bolt from a fastener store (Not the Polaris OEM bolt) and I was on my way.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I carried a pretty simple tool kit in my ranger the whole time I owned it.. pry bar some various sockets and wrenches and some wrenches along with a dewalt impact...

Only ever changed tires. The one time an upper suspension bolt failed the best tool I had was my cell phone. Lol

That was a pretty long specialty bolt, right?

I figure whatever I carry and am prepared to fix will never break. Just everything else will.

I have the same. Wrenches, ratchet set, adapters, extensions, breaker bar, jack, wood blocks, hammers, screwdrivers, Some specialty wrenches and sockets needed to change an axle, or radius rod, belt, tow strap, air pressure gauge, 12V air pump, fuses, razor knife, and some other crap.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That was a pretty long specialty bolt, right?

I figure whatever I carry and am prepared to fix will never break. Just everything else will.

Yeah that isn’t something you’d find hardly anywhere.. never occurred to me to bring one but it would have been difficult to fix in the field either way. (Not impossible but it was a pain in the ass in my garage.. can only imagine in the dirt)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah that isn’t something you’d find hardly anywhere.. never occurred to me to bring one but it would have been difficult to fix in the field either way. (Not impossible but it was a pain in the ass in my garage.. can only imagine in the dirt)

In the dirt by yourself = giant pain. In the dirt with a group of dudes drinking beer = easy. You never even need a jack. They can prop the car up for you :)

Albert

Reaction score
In the dirt by yourself = giant pain. In the dirt with a group of dudes drinking beer = easy. You never even need a jack. They can prop the car up for you :)

Thats exactly what we did tow strap come along to the service truck but we just picked it for starters

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
The credit card Ivan Stewart’s probably scared their wives and are one trip and done. As you say, many just like to build and don’t have the time or desire to use them. I know quite a few guys that “overbuild” to the point they are afraid to use the car for fear of ruining, scratching, or getting it dirty. Absolute best guys to buy from if you can get them off their high asking price.
It’s easy :( I owe maybe 5 k put a lot down everything else is paid for and just don’t have the time just like the RV no time to enjoy it

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Ive gotten Rhinos home with half the front suspension torn off. Its off roading and shit breaks. That being said Ive had a Wildcat and three rzr’s and never broke more than a belt. So Ive been pretty lucky. Knock on wood if youre with me. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Ive gotten Rhinos home with half the front suspension torn off. Its off roading and shit breaks. That being said Ive had a Wildcat and three rzr’s and never broke more than a belt. So Ive been pretty lucky. Knock on wood if youre with me. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This rhino didn't make it home
Literally happened the other day. We came around the corner and the 2 kids were crawling out of the car and a guy in a jeep was helping them. One kid messed up bad. I gave an ice pack to one and the other bleeding bad
Didn't help with rear bald tires
Wife thanked me for getting harnesses
20190929_110729_HDR1.jpg
20190929_1107561.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Yeah... the one on my ranger was a little more involved than just pulling a bolt. That said in my limited experience if ya have the right guys with ya they can fix just about anything.. lol.

At this stage in my life I’d rather drive slow and not break shit.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Agree. My original plan was a new ranger for cruisin but by buddies talked me out of it. The riding we do is not real intense as we usually have kids /teens on dirt bikes and quads following. I just dig the wide stance of the can am

DWC

Reaction score
Best purchase I’ve ever made. We’re new to the hobby. The first year was awesome. Can’t wait for this year’s adventures. Let the upgrade fun begin!
PS. Don’t ask @DLC for advice. It’ll add up quick.

92499445-DA52-4FF3-AE92-63D9FBC9ABE2.jpeg

Thanks. Yeah I had to do it. The 19’s are thinning out. Now it’s cleaning the garage time trying to fit all this crap in :)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I pulled mine out of the garage today sweep the floor put it back