WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

***HAVASU?? POOL... OR NO POOL????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
IF YOU WERE LOOKING TO BUY < in havasu… what would be more important...pool, or no pool, rv garage, or pool???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
and part 2...are fiberglass pools easier to maintain???

BajaMike

Reaction score
Pool and RV Garage and lots of parking.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
RV garage but need to have room for a pool for a later time

DWC

Reaction score
-RV garage is first priority for us. I really don’t want to buy a place and have to pay for storage too.
-Pool is a nice to have but not a must have. Space to do it later is a must.
-Lake view is highly preferred.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Screw the pool! That's what friends with pools are for :D:D:D

Garage space and gated side parking would be my priorities if I was shopping again

PlanB

Reaction score
Rarely use the pool but still like having it. If we lived there full time it would probably be used more.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
When we bought in Havasu our priorities were garage big enough for my boats plus dirt toys and a pool . Rv garage would have been great too but , we have room to build one ..

TCHB

Reaction score
My wife and use our pool at least everyday in the summer. Sometimes I am in out all day long when doing projects. We live in one of hottest places in the world and a pool is required. Can you imagine going to a Vegas Hotel in July without a pool No!!!

TCHB

Reaction score
why not a fiberglass pool?
My next door neighbor in Havasu has had so many problems with the skin blistering. How do you fix it?? Grind it out and new fiberglass. A year later the bubble comes back??? This has been going on for 10 years. My gunite pool has 3M quartz mixed into the plaster which looks great and at 9 years it still looks new. He has also had the tile border at the top of the pool fall off a least 3 times. They come out and peel it off and stick it back on.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My next door neighbor in Havasu has had so many problems with the skin blistering. How do you fix it?? Grind it out and new fiberglass. A year later the bubble comes back??? This has been going on for 10 years. My gunite pool has 3M quartz mixed into the plaster which looks great and at 9 years it still looks new. He has also had the tile border at the top of the pool fall off a least 3 times. They come out and peel it off and stick it back on.
I think of it this way,... whats the difference if you leave your boat in the water... or fill it with water???

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I went with option 3. I got a 12x8 swim spa. It stayed around 86 during the summer and will be 102 next month. Very easy to maintain and keep clean. I can float in it like a pool and if I get sick of it I can remove with a sawsall.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
and part 2...are fiberglass pools easier to maintain???

You know we talked about this eight years.. I don’t get why anyone hates on a fiberglass pool. Was easier all the way around and easily fixable.

That said if I had to pick one or the other I’d pick the garage.. Stacy would pick the pool.. that’s why we had to get both.

RD

TCHB

Reaction score
I went with option 3. I got a 12x8 swim spa. It stayed around 86 during the summer and will be 102 next month. Very easy to maintain and keep clean. I can float in it like a pool and if I get sick of it I can remove with a sawsall.
As long as you have water it is all good. Winter is coming and the pools are sad!!!
You know we talked about this eight years.. I don’t get why anyone hates on a fiberglass pool. Was easier all the way around and easily fixable.

That said if I had to pick one or the other I’d pick the garage.. Stacy would pick the pool.. that’s why we had to get both.

RD
Dave what would the kids pick?

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Wife said a pool is a must in Havasu. We bought a new build without a pool. 6 months later, we just signed a contract for a pool build. After living through my first summer her I concur, a pool is a must.

We have a pontoon with a big ol wake tower on it though too. So an RV garage is also a must.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
guess we need a part 3...what if it was just as intended, a vacation home....who would have ever thought that people would be leaving beautiful sunny southern cal... to live in the desert...but I guess if you can't afford to live there... you have to live somewhere..

so anyway.... what would you look for in a vacation home..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Wife said a pool is a must in Havasu. We bought a new build without a pool. 6 months later, we just signed a contract for a pool build. After living through my first summer her I concur, a pool is a must.

We have a pontoon with a big ol wake tower on it though too. So an RV garage is also a must.
I would say you did it the smart way... way easier to add a pool than a rv garage...and cheeper..

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Both, #1 rv garage, #2 pool and spa or at min room to add it, especially in the price range buyer your looking for.

Now the what option gunite/Shotcrete or fiberglass.

Nothing really “wrong” w fiberglass
At one time they used to be considerably less. In Havasu it’s the same price.

Why not a single/double wide trailer
Why not metal rv garages
Why not roof with asphalt shingles
Why not a bayliner

All the above are fine if that’s within someone’s budget, reality, or zoning etc...

Does that answer your question? Why not fiberglass. ( perceived value ) why fiberglass if it’s not saving anything.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Used my finger sketch up skills to give you an idea of what backyard could of been, lol
For me pool and spa would of been center of backyard
Bbq island, eating area would be up where your current spa gazebo area is.
632BCA46-1AAD-4709-8CBB-D0EBB8D5909B.jpeg
E4554669-0189-430C-BE30-C6F2F6CCA87B.jpeg

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
What does a person do all day in the heat? yes it's a dry heat but when it's 100+ outside , it's a busy weekend, the wind is blowing, everyone is in town, launch ramps look like the 405 fwy, the weather is perfect to have a pool and it would be great to have a pool and not have to deal with the crowds.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
guess we need a part 3...what if it was just as intended, a vacation home....who would have ever thought that people would be leaving beautiful sunny southern cal... to live in the desert...but I guess if you can't afford to live there... you have to live somewhere..

I suppose it depends whether or not you are a winter visitor or a summer visitor. Most summer visitors come here for the lake and could probably get by without a pool but it’s awfully damn nice to have an option when the lake gets blown out. Snowbirds don’t necessarily come here to go boating or swimming but some do both. :confused:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

Same here. Wife said NO way on living here if we didn't have a pool and I agreed. We bought a house with an RV garage and a big flat backyard. Two months after we moved here full time the pool was started. Nothing like coming off the lake, putting the boat away and jumping in the pool with a cold beer. I don't drink on the lake if I'm the skipper that day.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Does not need to be rv, butbi would much rather have a large garage then a pool. Push comes to shove you could always put in something small so youbcould get in and cool off

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Used my finger sketch up skills to give you an idea of what backyard could of been, lol
For me pool and spa would of been center of backyard
Bbq island, eating area would be up where your current spa gazebo area is. View attachment 803479 View attachment 803480
on that house, the idea was a pool right where the turf is,...and the idea is to be able to look over the pool, and out to the lake view at the same time...same with the spa,... I went with fiber glass over gunite because of the time to heat vs always ready..... for us we use the spa way less because by the time we get it heated ...don't wanna use it anymore...we have a pool and spa at our vegas home,...but like said, if your gonna live full time, you need a pool,...

26e1c427d72acfa5b9680badefa84e79l-m45xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
26e1c427d72acfa5b9680badefa84e79l-m43xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
26e1c427d72acfa5b9680badefa84e79l-m40xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
26e1c427d72acfa5b9680badefa84e79l-m41xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
DSC04675.JPG
DSC04662.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
also, I wanted to do the pool with an 18'' elevated bond beam so there was seating around the edge...so when sitting on the edge of the pool you could still see the lake view

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Still the same. Wife kiddos and dogs say pool. I want the garage. Probably moreso for a vacation home as it’s intended as a vacation. We don’t have a pool at home but wouldn’t consider a Havasu home without a pool.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’d say 95% of people look for a vacation home in Havasu today want an RV Garage to stop paying for storage. I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want a pool in the summer in Havasu? It’s almost mandatory!

I would probably turn around and walk back to my car if it had a fiberglass pool. If I’m paying $500K for a house it better be gunite!!!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
why not a fiberglass pool?

Seems that lots of people who hate on fiberglass pools have never owned or maintained one. I have had both a fiberglass pool and a pebble tech pool. The fiberglass pool was far easier to maintain. It was literally a giant bath tub. Easier to clean, rarely had any problems with black/yellow/green algaes etc... When I needed it to freshen it up, I drained it and lightly pressure washed it with CLR in the pressure sprayer... No acid washing, no stains, no weird algaes that you had to try to deal with. All my equipment was the same. It had a cool deck concrete decking exactly like a pebble pool... The surface failed and blistered at about the 20 year mark at which point we remodeled the pool with a traditional gunite pebble pool.

I would say that if you are going to do a smallish, <8K gallon type "spool" that fiberglass would definitely be an option. IF you are going big traditional with all the new features, you probably should just go traditional because you have some freedom in the design.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I might ask... the walls look like they are retaining and higher than the neighbors. My first question would be, were the walls engineered with plans for a pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score

Our home was bought as a vacation house. The number one priority was a flat lot with a lot of parking. We bought on a 1/3 acre, corner lot that is completely flat with a pull through driveway. I can easily fit a few large boats in front of our house off the street. We also have gated parking where I can fit two more boats.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
My wife always says " A house is simply a life support system for the garage " so the garage would be more important than a pool.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Things that were important to me when I was looking to buy vacation home in havasu;
[emoji843]new construction
[emoji843]garage big enough to leave truck and boat hooked up with room for toys
[emoji843]bathroom in garage

Things I said would be nice but didn’t have to have;
[emoji843]lake view
[emoji843]pool

I figured why would I need a lake view, I would always be out enjoying the lake. As for the pool, just another expense to cover and need to maintain.

Who knew that when I bought my house while under construction that I would move into it full time only a year later.

It returned to a vacay home again for me several years ago as the commute was crazy back to OC each week.

Things I would consider doing differently if doing it again became an option;
[emoji843]lake view
[emoji843]pool
[emoji843]flat driveway
[emoji843]side storage

Side note, one of my garages is 20’x 60’ deep, you can never have enough garage space. Wasn’t a big deal 13 years ago but now the 10’ header on garage door isn’t tall enough to get my toon in without lowering the arch. So, need a taller garage (true RV maybe).

I got around the pool thought when I recently did backyard hardscape. I dropped a 10x10’ cuzzi in a 20” deep vault in the ground so half way under the deck. It has a cooling feature that drops the water temperature to 60 degrees if you wanted it to. The cuzzi is great therapy after a day on the lake. And it maintains itself for the most part outside of cleaning and a cartridge change every few months.

I only miss not doing a pool or having a lake view when I am not out on the lake, so not that much I guess after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nameisbond

Reaction score
Id want both. Love my pool and having barns to store shit.

guest hs

Reaction score
My house in Havasu is for sale and the next one I buy must have a three car garage and a pool 3 bed 2 bath and fit in my budget. They are out there but not many in my price range.