WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The 60's?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Who lived them? My wife who is a big fan of the 60's gets pissed when I say lived in the 60's. Albeit it was only 3 months but I lived the 60's.:cool::D

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Also born in 1945...I lived and did every bit of it...wouldn’t change a minute of it...
...I hope some of you have read some of my previous posts about how It really was and what I saw and did...

...A lot of people say it was the Manson murders that ended the 60s but I don’t really think that’s the case...I tend to think it was more when the mind expanding drugs hit the streets and the schoolyards...that.the 60s were essentially over...Those drugs were so tricky that the majority of the populous should never even have come close experimenting with them...

...There’s probably quite a wide debate on what ended the beauty of the’60’s...With the exception of the Vietnam War,...the Black Panthers and much political upheaval,..it really was a beautiful and fun time...

GRADS

Reaction score
Favorite song from the 60's

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score

...interesting...I had to google to see what year that was released...1966...the reason being...The Mamas and Papas were in truth right at the beginning of the real 60’s...in other words drug experimentation became a way of life among some pretty straight people...
...I guess you could really go back to ‘65...

rrrr

Reaction score

That's a lip sync, the TV show was playing the recorded single that was cut at CBS, and on the record all the instruments were being played by the Wrecking Crew. I know Carole Kaye played bass and Hal Blaine was on drums. I think Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco played guitar. I don't remember who the flautist was.

Michelle Phillips, Denny Doherty, John Phillips, and Cass Elliot showed up in LA with no score, just lyrics and guitar cords on a sheet of notebook paper. None of them could read music.

The song turned out to be a huge hit.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I was born in 1963 and remember the same although a lot of Bug Bunny, Road Runner, Magilla Gorilla, The Jetsons and Flinstones.

71345732_3063235663703517_5966888744530214912_n.jpg

Was born in 1964...All I remember is the Brady Bunch, Partridge Family and getting the measles.:p

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed them! You've lived an amazing life.
...Well thanks...My story telling has gotten a little foggy as of late...kind of a lack of clarity of my long term memory...
...due to a couple of broken neck deals and a lot of pain I have been experimenting with the cannabis again...Hadn’t touched it in 45 or so years... I now put a really good weed store bought concoction under my tongue to go to sleep at night...It is very effective...the only problem being is when I wake up in the morning I am still stoned...So what gets done during the day... pretty much nothing...lol...
...kind of a choice between fog brain and pain???...
...on the fun side of it...some of the verbiage and terminology from the ‘60’s is coming back to me...and the vibe I have gotten from some of the weed stores is sort of 60’s???...
...My pain management doctor told me the other day that I should be doing at least one thing productive every day like polishing a rim...(6 cars 4 boatsI have lots of rims)... I guess he meant leaning on my elbow and watching HBO with chips and dip wasn’t enough???...stupid me...lol..

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
That's a lip sync, the TV show was playing the recorded single that was cut at CBS, and on the record all the instruments were being played by the Wrecking Crew. I know Carole Kaye played bass and Hal Blaine was on drums. I think Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco played guitar. I don't remember who the flautist was.

Michelle Phillips, Denny Doherty, John Phillips, and Cass Elliot showed up in LA with no score, just lyrics and guitar cords on a sheet of notebook paper. None of them could read music.

The song turned out to be a huge hit.
...Just found out that a good friend of mine Suzi Jane Hokum sang back up with Glen Campbell...when the wrecking crew needed them...sang on many hits throughout those few years... had lunch with her a couple weeks ago but I can’t remember which songs she said she and Glen were the sole back up singers on???...

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to live the 60s twice.. I was 13 in the Summer of 60, and my sister was 4 1/2 years older. So I got to grow up with her and her friends in the very early 60s, and then again when I was 16 and got my drivers license... I was surfing with her friends in 1959, pretty much before the "surf craze" hit So Cal... In 63, 64, 65, our hot rods were pretty much un regulated, then came "smog" equipment.. I remember driving a plug into the "road draft" tube of a 312 Ford and of course that blew out the rear seal once the crankcase had no ventilation. They were just experimenting with PCV valves at that time... I was a diehard Elvis fan, and resisted the coming of the Beatles and the British wave of music...
I wasn't "pro war", but I also wasn't anti war... I worked at Hughes Tool Co in Culver City at the "firing range" on Gov't experimental Contracts, but when drafted in Oct of 68 I went, and that pretty much finished my civilian 60s experiences... Looking back, I wouldn't change much, a few mistakes, but nothing really serious... I will say walking through an airport in a uniform was totally different back then... I'll never forget being called a "baby Killer" in 1969...
Ray

tazzio

Reaction score
I was born in 45, I can say i remember the 50s, and the 60s, as the best times. I think our generation was the best. We didn't have car seats for kids, helmets to ride our bikes, we drank water out of the hose, and we played tag, dodge ball, tether ball, we rode our bicycles everywhere. I can remember watching the first time Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show. As goofy as this sounds, I feel sorry for the people that never experienced going to the airport, and straight to their boarding area without going thru security.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I was born in 1963 and remember the same although a lot of Bug Bunny, Road Runner, Magilla Gorilla, The Jetsons and Flinstones.

71345732_3063235663703517_5966888744530214912_n.jpg

63 here as well. So many great cartoons. My dad was post supervisor at HB for ever it seems. Used to love going to work with him in the summer. A little parting gift from Joe and Bill
IMG_1646.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
1958 for. I remember the cartoons, Flintstones and Jetsons were my favorite. Have 2 sisters, 5 & 6 years older than me so being that young I still got see a lot of 60’s first hand.
Willie B, your posts are always great. If you don’t mind saying, what was your profession?

charlyox

Reaction score
I was born in 1954. I remember the 60's very well. The music, the cars, the moon landing, racial tension, the British invasion, Viet Nam, the cartoons, going to Huntington beach and learning how to surf. My older brother would let me tag along. Pepsi at IN-N-OUT was only ten cents. That's right they has Pepsi before Coke. No bills,lol

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I was born in 45, I can say i remember the 50s, and the 60s, as the best times. I think our generation was the best. We didn't have car seats for kids, helmets to ride our bikes, we drank water out of the hose, and we played tag, dodge ball, tether ball, we rode our bicycles everywhere. I can remember watching the first time Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show. As goofy as this sounds, I feel sorry for the people that never experienced going to the airport, and straight to their boarding area without going thru security.
About the airport. Living in Havasu now we get lot's of fly-in visitors and we gladly drive up to Vegas to pick-up and drop-off. I always feel bad when we go to drop-of as it's always drive by the terminal slow down and throw them out. The ragheads fucked the airport experience up IMO, gone are the days when one went to the boarding areas and watched their family and friends planes taxi away.

westair

Reaction score
I was born in 1954. I remember the 60's very well. The music, the cars, the moon landing, racial tension, the British invasion, Viet Nam, the cartoons, going to Huntington beach and learning how to surf. My older brother would let me tag along. Pepsi at IN-N-OUT was only ten cents. That's right they has Pepsi before Coke. No bills,lol
We hitchhiked on Beach Blvd all the way to Huntington from Whittier …… I think we were probably 14 or 15, a lot of us did ….. girls too. Was a great time in those days!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Born in small town Tennessee in 1958 I remember the 60's well. Spent most of my time on my bicycle going to different lakes/ponds for some of the best fishing a kid could ask for. Had a pointer named Chip that would follow me where every I would go. Got my first real shotgun (Browning sweet sixteen) for Christmas when I was 9 or so and did a lot of hunting as well. Times were so simple then, wish I could turn back time.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Born in small town Tennessee in 1958 I remember the 60's well. Spent most of my time on my bicycle going to different lakes/ponds for some of the best fishing a kid could ask for. Had a pointer named Chip that would follow me where every I would go. Got my first real shotgun (Browning sweet sixteen) for Christmas when I was 9 or so and did a lot of hunting as well. Times were so simple then, wish I could turn back time.

Did you shoot your other eye out? Was wondering why you only had one J/K :D

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Did you shoot your other eye out? Was wondering why you only had one J/K :D
LOL, no I wasn't "That Kid".
Got my first bb gun when I was 3 or 4, at age 6-7 I had a over/under 22/410. Browning Sweet Sixteen at age 9 then all kinds of arsenal from then on out. :D

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Every town was just like this to siome degree.....

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Do you still have the sweet 16? Nice scatter gun.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Do you still have the sweet 16? Nice scatter gun.
Unfortunately not. When I left Tn in 76 I left the majority of my guns to my father and older brother. When my father passed in 1998 I was going through his closet full of guns and found it in the original carrying bag. Needless to say I was pretty excited until I took it out of the case. It was completely rusted from sitting it that humidity all those years and not being cleaned/oiled on a regular basis.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
When you’re older, a lot of things you forget when you’re a kid but two things stick out very clear.....my mom said when I was 10 remember this day because no President has ever resigned before and 3 years later when my aunt came over to babysit me and my sister she was crying pretty good.....Elvis died that day.

dribble

Reaction score
Best decade ever. The cars were cool, the music was fantastic. I saw Jimi Hendrix at Cal Expo. My brother and two friends hitchhiked to Altamont (They were 15). Then in 73 Disco came along and cars, tv and everything else started to suck.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Best decade ever. The cars were cool, the music was fantastic. I saw Jimi Hendrix at Cal Expo. My brother and two friends hitchhiked to Altamont (They were 15). Then in 73 Disco came along and cars, tv and everything else started to suck.

You sir have crossed the line. The 70’s were cool. It’s the 80’s that created all the problems :D:D:D

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
You sir have crossed the line. The 70’s were cool. It’s the 80’s that created all the problems :D:D:D

Hey now, the 80's were awesome. Great tunes, blow, lwe all lived in a fake bubble of happiness, and of course, Ronald Reagan, the last great American icon.

70's was great too, but I was a wee bit young for the 60's. Born in 66'. Caught the tail end of Disco, which did not suck if you were into the ladies.

By the 90's, "things" like decency and music started waning, followed by full-blown suckiness from year 2000 on. I blame Fred Durst for a large part of the douchery seen in the 909.

I too remember the hysteria caused by Elvis' death.

Who else has the dime sized scar for all the vaccines they pumped into us? I bet that hurt lol.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Hey now, the 80's were awesome. Great tunes, blow, lwe all lived in a fake bubble of happiness, and of course, Ronald Reagan, the last great American icon.

70's was great too, but I was a wee bit young for the 60's. Born in 66'. Caught the tail end of Disco, which did not suck if you were into the ladies.

By the 90's, "things" like decency and music started waning, followed by full-blown suckiness from year 2000 on. I blame Fred Durst for a large part of the douchery seen in the 909.

I too remember the hysteria caused by Elvis' death.

Who else has the dime sized scar for all the vaccines they pumped into us? I bet that hurt lol.

LOL. I am few years younger so your right, let’s blame the 90’s. I don’t have the scar either

Reactions: C-2

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Yep lived the 60’s. Saw the beatals in concert, watched NASA go through all their growing pains finally reaching the pinnacle of mans accomplishments and hung out with legends of the drag strip. Back then SoCal was Camelot. I weep for today’s youth.

blefever

Reaction score
Born and raised in California. Born in '51, Graduated West Covina HS in '69. Being a gear-head it was Real Life American Graffiti for us. '60 Ford Starliner with a 406. Street Racing and going to Irwindale Raceway and OCIR. Cruising Bob's, A&W, Whittier Blvd, Van Nuys Blvd, racing at the Chicken Ranch (no not the whorehouse) . A friend had a Yellow '32 5 window just like John Milners. I would not trade it for anything. We're having our 50th class reunion end of this month and so far 135 are attending. Not bad.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I was born to late
My chick is a hippie at heart.
Her entire family, Are some tree hugging, weed smokin, riding bikes instead of driving, ZZ Top beards, pony tail wearing, good times peeps all grew up in the 60s
Love all music for the era. My chicks dad used to manage bands and has the largest collection and knowledge of music Iv ever experienced. Has loads of tunes that are different master versions and studio recordings etc the masses have never heard. Pretty cool stuff. He’s prob one of the coolest gray hairs I get to still hang with now and then.

I am going to The Who, my generation concert next friday. Should be good times

GRADS

Reaction score
I was born to late
My chick is a hippie at heart.
Her entire family, Are some tree hugging, weed smokin, riding bikes instead of driving, ZZ Top beards, pony tail wearing, good times peeps all grew up in the 60s
Love all music for the era. My chicks dad used to manage bands and has the largest collection and knowledge of music Iv ever experienced. Has loads of tunes that are different master versions and studio recordings etc the masses have never heard. Pretty cool stuff. He’s prob one of the coolest gray hairs I get to still hang with now and then.

I am going to The Who, my generation concert next friday. Should be good times
Saw The Who 2 years ago and they were amazing, like seriously amazing.

C-2

Reaction score
Saw The Who 2 years ago and they were amazing, like seriously amazing.

I ran across this vid a while back from earlier this summer in Philly. Super cute girl, it gets good at 4:10

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
The music from the 60's will live on till the end of time ….. and miniskirts
And the halter top with no bra! Just saw the Eagles at the MGM. Unbelievable, best concert I've been too and I've been to many in Vegas. I looked around the arena and I swear the average age had to be around 62. :)

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Is this one of those deals where she was so fugly she was hot?

I don't know why but seems to me like someone who didn't brush her teeth too much. You know after a 4 day Jack Daniels and cigarette bender.:D

boatdoc55

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. When I left Tn in 76 I left the majority of my guns to my father and older brother. When my father passed in 1998 I was going through his closet full of guns and found it in the original carrying bag. Needless to say I was pretty excited until I took it out of the case. It was completely rusted from sitting it that humidity all those years and not being cleaned/oiled on a regular basis.
I'd still be crying!!