WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CC use fees at DMV....

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Hello all;

I just went to pay my registration on my wife's MC (07 Honda shadow) and not only was it $128 now but as of late September DMV is now charging a 2.1% service fee along with no longer taking debit cards or any other form of payment online. They have a specific and clear exemption to not need to charge a service fee. Years back they went through all the hoops and actually got a legislative exemption for charging this in order to save money and move away from paper.

Really???
Talk about ridiculous. I am now mailing in my registration with a hand written complaint carefully stapled in multiple places to the check and stub.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Looks like I just beat the fee:

In alignment with how California's other departments process credit and debit card transactions, DMV customers will be charged a 2.3 percent service fee when using this payment option at a field office. Beginning September 29, 2019, credit and debit card transactions will be charged a 2.1 percent service fee.

I just paid reg for one of my cars last week. Was surprised it let me use a CC online actually. DMV has "DEBIT ONLY" signs everywhere and when I bought my truck I used AAA and they said cash only.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Hello all;

I just went to pay my registration on my wife's MC (07 Honda shadow) and not only was it $128 now but as of late September DMV is now charging a 2.1% service fee along with no longer taking debit cards or any other form of payment online. They have a specific and clear exemption to not need to charge a service fee. Years back they went through all the hoops and actually got a legislative exemption for charging this in order to save money and move away from paper.

Really???
Talk about ridiculous. I am now mailing in my registration with a hand written complaint carefully stapled in multiple places to the check and stub.
California would probably collect more money if they quit doing shit like charging too much and now doing this crap. If they were just reasonable about things, people wouldn't go to all the trouble to register their shit out of state.

Disclaimer, my shit is registered in the state as I would be the one to get caught.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Some body has to pay for all the welfare your Government gives to all the slackers!! Seeing all the post's about moving out, I don't know why any of you stay???? There is life outside of CA, you just have to have the balls to do it!! We left in 92'.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Just noticed they now charge at the kiosks

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/fo/fo_sst

EDIT:

DMV Now Kiosks

• Cash (some locations)
  • Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
  • Debit card (Visa or MasterCard logo)
Beginning September 29, 2019, credit and debit card transactions will be charged a 2.1 percent service fee.

gqchris

Reaction score
That has got to be the most stupidest thing I have heard. WTF are they thinking? Would they rather pay someone to take checks and open envelopes? Its like the liquor store charging you .75 for every debit car or credit card transaction. Or Arco with their .35 bullshit. I avoid all those places for that reason.

Cost of business. This is really an asinine move. I am gonna start to send in my checks again it looks like.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Paper check @ AAA go forward.
Just another stupid CA decision. The volume they have, their merchant fees are lower then 2.1%, so they are most likely making $$ on this.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Again, they have a specific legislative exemption saying they do not need to charge these fees.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Arizona threw a $32.00 per vehicle "Highway sur charge" on to all vehicle registrations, per year..I did some inquiring and found out there was plenty of hankie pankie that went into the fee, and it has been repealed effective in 2020, or 2021..Something about the extra money already "factored in" to the state highway budget... I'll risk the ticket and pay the $5.00 late fee when the $32. has been repealed... AND, anyone paying up to5 years in advance will still be hit with the $32 per year extra fee... Apparently the Legislators "authorized" the budget committee to set the fee in order to balance the highway budget... They thought $6, 8 maybe 10. per vehicle...The Budget people said screw that and set it to $32. Kinda fishy smelling excuse, but the Legislators were able to repeal it, but not this year...Budget people are not elected....
Ray

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
This is nice though...
88C0D73E-D14B-4C42-86AF-EC96D9239702.png

Singleton

Reaction score
Again, they have a specific legislative exemption saying they do not need to charge these fees.

Exemption saying ‘do not need’ is different then saying ‘they cant’
DMV most likely said nothing is stopping us from not charging, so let’s charge and make extra money we can waste doing other stupid things

Deckin Around

Reaction score
DMV has no cents:D everything to the nearest dollar, no change. AAA DMV fees are only cash or check, I thought DMV was the same

RVRKID

Reaction score
I lost my license and on their site says I have to go in to the DMV for a new license and the first appt available is Dec 2nd! WTF, why can't they send a new one out like they did the original, obviously they have everything on file.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Arizona threw a $32.00 per vehicle "Highway sur charge" on to all vehicle registrations, per year..I did some inquiring and found out there was plenty of hankie pankie that went into the fee, and it has been repealed effective in 2020, or 2021..Something about the extra money already "factored in" to the state highway budget... I'll risk the ticket and pay the $5.00 late fee when the $32. has been repealed... AND, anyone paying up to5 years in advance will still be hit with the $32 per year extra fee... Apparently the Legislators "authorized" the budget committee to set the fee in order to balance the highway budget... They thought $6, 8 maybe 10. per vehicle...The Budget people said screw that and set it to $32. Kinda fishy smelling excuse, but the Legislators were able to repeal it, but not this year...Budget people are not elected....
Ray
They left it up to the DPS to decide, originally they felt it was going to be around $16 and then DPS set it at $32. People that paid in advance are getting a refund.

As for the California issue, I hope somebody takes a big wagon full of pennies in.:D

Ladsm

Reaction score
every renewal notice I get now I send in my transfer of ownership to myself and my AZ river address. AZ DMV loves me

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
the Best thing that would ever happen at the DMV, if they changed to all kiosk for registrations.
1. fees yes
2. smog yes
3. no employee ready to go postal. check
4. no extra fees that can concoct...

F!! California

RodnJen

Reaction score
They should have raised fees 3% then offered a 2% cash discount. California would be flooded with Uhauls.

HitIt

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it is a check to AAA from me now too.

They are going to have to use the new CC fees to employ more people to open the envelopes for all of the checks they are going to start to receive. Think of it as a jobs creation program.

Singleton

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it is a check to AAA from me now too.

They are going to have to use the new CC fees to employ more people to open the envelopes for all of the checks they are going to start to receive. Think of it as a jobs creation program.

DMV charges $$ if paper check gets tagged NSF as well.

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
They left it up to the DPS to decide, originally they felt it was going to be around $16 and then DPS set it at $32. People that paid in advance are getting a refund.
As for the California issue, I hope somebody takes a big wagon full of pennies in.:D

Where did you hear about the refund??? Is the fee canceled?? The info I got was the fee remains in effect until the repeal date, 2020, 2012?? And no refunds would be paid..Please, where did your info come from, and are they still, Monday, charging the $32. fee??
Ray

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Where did you hear about the refund??? Is the fee canceled?? The info I got was the fee remains in effect until the repeal date, 2020, 2012?? And no refunds would be paid..Please, where did your info come from, and are they still, Monday, charging the $32. fee??
Ray
Let me see if I can find you more information, I was told this by one of my friends that had registered his vehicles for five years and he got a form from MVD for a refund. I’m not sure when the program ends or if it’s just going to be modified

BajaMike

Reaction score
Looks like I just beat the fee:

In alignment with how California's other departments process credit and debit card transactions, DMV customers will be charged a 2.3 percent service fee when using this payment option at a field office. Beginning September 29, 2019, credit and debit card transactions will be charged a 2.1 percent service fee.

I just paid reg for one of my cars last week. Was surprised it let me use a CC online actually. DMV has "DEBIT ONLY" signs everywhere and when I bought my truck I used AAA and they said cash only.

AAA is cash or personal check only for registration.....has been that way for years. Fuck DMV.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Ray
Ray, I talked to my buddy Dale and he got a notice from MVD about the refund you have to do it online he believes the program is ending in 2021 so if you paid for five years you can get a refund he got a notice in the mail. The refund must be requested online, I would check with service Arizona.com you may find it there if you didn’t get a notice.

PS It may be serviceArizona.GOV

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Credit card transaction fees on a $100 charge would amount to between $2.50 and $3.
California is doing the same thing many other States are doing. Charging you for the Credit card transaction.

Singleton

Reaction score
Credit card transaction fees on a $100 charge would amount to between $2.50 and $3.
California is doing the same thing many other States are doing. Charging you for the Credit card transaction.

If only my registration was 100.
F350 is closer to 1,000. So $21 additional dollar to Ca - no thanks. I will take a jog to AAA (2 miles away) and write my paper check and keep that money.

As stated before, DMV has volume and is a state agency, so their merchant fees are well below 2.1%. If I had to guess, I would say 1% max.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
So DMV wants to use the gas tax to hire more employees to open envelopes and provide them unsustainable pensions? Waste paper, create a job :D

People are hooked on credit card usage. Now it's time the merchants drive in the stake (charge the fee on top of sale price). Fresno Airport used to charge $8/day long term parking and no credit card fee. Now it's $12/day, plus 2.3% credit card fee. What's old is new. May have to start using cash again, and sending in paper checks for bills.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
If only my registration was 100.
F350 is closer to 1,000. So $21 additional dollar to Ca - no thanks. I will take a jog to AAA (2 miles away) and write my paper check and keep that money.
As stated before, DMV has volume and is a state agency, so their merchant fees are well below 2.1%. If I had to guess, I would say 1% max.
My local DMV is very quick and unless it is a new license picture which takes an extra five minutes I usually walk in.
On the CC deal, every CC sets different fees. Stamps are 55 cents. Checks cost me a few cents less. Convenience of not filling out a check, addressing an envelope etc. is worth the $1 fee.
Just seems there are bigger fish to fry these days. :p

HitIt

Reaction score
I just paid for my boat tags at the DMV website. If you use an e-check (routing #, acct #) then they don't charge a fee. AAA only accepts checks for reg so there isn't any difference money wise, but it is more convenient to pay online at the DMV site.

So fee only applies to debit/credit cards.

Rogers Hopeful

Reaction score
I just paid for my boat tags at the DMV website. If you use an e-check (routing #, acct #) then they don't charge a fee. AAA only accepts checks for reg so there isn't any difference money wise, but it is more convenient to pay online at the DMV site.

So fee only applies to debit/credit cards.
Same here. fee only applies to debit/credit card. echeck no fee

BajaMike

Reaction score
AAA is cash or personal check only for registration.....has been that way for years. Fuck DMV.

Also, at AAA no fee (just did my son’s registration, toot less than 10 min), credit card at DMV, long wait and fees, online, fees.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
What a joke I went to reg my Wife's car online, they wanted a Electronic fee,whatta joke, out of principle, on that, Check sent w MEMO-"F all the way off " and I had my son fart on it,before send, well because it was funny:)he's 6.