WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Class A non commercial and other RV stuff

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Wife and I are pretty set on upsizing our new RV. And if we are going to do it might as well go big and get what we want.
Who here has the class A non commercial?

Seems like there’s a lot of rules as to if/when you need it?

What’s the benefit/downside?

I have heard you need someone with a class A to drove the rig down there for you or it’s an instant failure?

4Waters

Reaction score
Wife and I are pretty set on upsizing our new RV. And if we are going to do it might as well go big and get what we want.
Who here has the class A non commercial?

Seems like there’s a lot of rules as to if/when you need it?

What’s the benefit/downside?

I have heard you need someone with a class A to drove the rig down there for you or it’s an instant failure?
Pros: If something happens you have the proper license.
Cons: Yes you have to go down to the DMV and do a written, skills and drive test, but you only have to do it once.

Just get it, then you're covered with the proper license if you are in an accident.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My neighbors driving mine down to the DMV.
If it’s a hassle for you you can take the test with me.
But it’s a long drive

Singleton

Reaction score
Written test is easy if you study (read book a couple time).
Make sure you memorize pre-trip inspection checklist (truck and trailer steps).

Trailer you take test with must be stamped 10k or higher. They say you have to take test with trailer you plan on towing, but just need trailer stamped 10k or more. Some locations will auto fail if you tow trailer to test site, others don’t check. Skill test is not that difficult (knowledge you already have).

Your ad here

Reaction score
I drove myself to the San Bernadino location with my C license pulling a 15,500 lb 5th wheel. Left with a non commercial A. Was asked if someone with a non commercial A was with me. I said no and they didn't care.

wzuber

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is the rig we are going with. as it checks off 99% of what we are looking for.

https://heartlandrvs.com/2019/toy-hauler/cyclone/cy-4007/

Anyone have one?

pros/cons?
Feedback?
a friend of mine just got his recently. He said the test was no big deal. He's been driving big moho's for years as well as 5th wheels etc. so very proficient with driving/backing up into small places etc. They had him back up into a narrow (10' wide?) space with cones (can't touch cones) from a perpendicular starting point. He had 2 attempts avail b4 fail. Nailed it with one slight adjustment. He had a commercial "A" licensed friend drive it to palm springs DMV from Big River just to please the dmv.

Reactions: TPC

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Duhh... forget I asked....forgot about the Towing....:D

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I have mine for the possibility of getting pulled over while going to Glamis. Never took my fifth wheel to Glamis. lol

No big deal. Took the written but never any skills test. Got the license.

Singleton

Reaction score
I have mine for the possibility of getting pulled over while going to Glamis. Never took my fifth wheel to Glamis. lol

When did you get it. A non-commercial class A requires a skill test. The RV endorsement, requires only the written test and not the skills test.

EPL

Reaction score
Many of my friends are towing that size trailer and don't have the license !! I do have it and it isn't to bad to get . Just get the book that is for the Class A non commercial test ( there is a special book) . When you go for the driving test the big thing they want to hear is all about the pre trip inspection . The skill part is you have be able to back it up 100' fairly straight , make a turn within a specified distance from the curb and be able to park in a space they have set up !! It's not hard and if you are towing something like that you should be able to do it anyway !!

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Easy test compared to the real one.

The AARP is the reason they don’t make class A’s with air brakes take the commercial air brake test. Pretty ironic as I’m not too confident an 80 year old knows what he’s doing driving a 30k lb. 20 year old pusher with no clue how to actually Check his brakes.....

Singleton

Reaction score
The other thing, I have been told by a CHP Commercial Officer and SDPD, it’s a fix-it ticket if issued.
However, if you are involved in an accident, then shit hits the fan with insurance.

Was also told by my dads neighbor (past executive at StateFarm), if you insure a trailer with a GVWR over 10k in CA your SF agent should inform you via written letter of your DL compliance requirements. This is a CYA letter so they can void insurance if your don’t have the right non-commercial DL.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
0CE60BD5-30EB-47C7-AB4E-04254D019324.jpeg

Damnit. Literally have an appointment Monday for all new tires.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Yeah some in our dune group same thing.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
In CA
Conventional trailer over 10k require non-commercial class A
5th wheel over 15k require it as well, 5th wheel between 10,001 and 14,999 require RV endorsement

A4504823-C1D6-40C4-B4B1-B833612AEE5C.png

This the one we are looking at. So I’m guessing I have to go all the way.

Singleton

Reaction score
View attachment 804307

This the one we are looking at. So I’m guessing I have to go all the way.

I would. Read over book, memorize pre-trip inspection and your set.

The hardest part IMO is being legal getting to test. I need to finish mine (pre-trip and skill test). Since my trailer is stamped 10k, they would not allow me to use it during skill test. Going to borrow my buddies truck and dump trailer next time.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Are there Federal laws for this type of licensing or is it state driven?
What about in AZ?

NicPaus

Reaction score
See if you can order it with 8k axles. Buddy bought a big toyhauler like that last year. Axle failed second trip and no way to move the beast until the manufacturer sent out a guy. They ended up putting all new 8k axles on it to fix the issue.

Singleton

Reaction score
See if you can order it with 8k axles. Buddy bought a big toyhauler like that last year. Axle failed second trip and no way to move the beast until the manufacturer sent out a guy. They ended up putting all new 8k axles on it to fix the issue.

This! My trailer loaded for desert (without Jeep), only needs 2. But has 3 6500 axles, just in case I have a huge failure and need to roll to the next stop.
@Deckin Around built the thing thinking of everything.

3.Slow

Reaction score
I got my non-commercial class a back in 2014ish, studied with the book from DMV and online, drove myself to the DMV and drove away with my new license, that being said, it is not soppsed to work that way. Like others have said, you are supposed to have a licensed driver with you, no way of knowing if they will check. I got my commercial class a last year and I will say the pre trip inspection was much more casual on the non commercial, but the skills and drive test are exactly the same. Back up 100' straight, "alley dock" which is backing 90 degree turn and stopping within 2' of the back. possible parallel parking. I got hit on not testing my brake lights on my non-commercial pre test. If you need a "licensed driver" to be at the dmv at a certain time as if they drove there with you, I'm usually off on mondays.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is the rig we are going with. as it checks off 99% of what we are looking for.

https://heartlandrvs.com/2019/toy-hauler/cyclone/cy-4007/

Anyone have one?

pros/cons?
Feedback?
We pulled one back to Oregon from the factory in 2017. Stayed in it on the trip back. Found it to be very comfortable. My friend broke the rear spring pockets off it the third trip out. Rewelded everything with cross bars and install 8k axles with the 3.375 brake shoes. That was two years ago and he hasn't had any problem. We have a heartland with a lot of miles on it now. Still holding up pretty good.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We pulled one back to Oregon from the factory in 2017. Stayed in it on the trip back. Found it to be very comfortable. My friend broke the rear spring pockets off it the third trip out. Rewelded everything with cross bars and install 8k axles with the 3.375 brake shoes. That was two years ago and he hasn't had any problem. We have a heartland with a lot of miles on it now. Still holding up pretty good.

Looks like I will have to look into the axle upgrade.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We had a Heartland 40' Bighorn 5th wheel for a few years. Good rig for us. Heartland construction seemed OK. Although, a few hours inspecting the undercarriage for small holes is time well spent. Did that, used some spray foam installation and that took care of any small desert critters getting into the rig.