WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Menifee/Murietta/Temecula Vehicle Tuning - Ride along, not Dyno

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I have a 1999 CCSB GMC 2500 with a Vortec 454. Engine needed head gaskets shortly after I bought it and I traveled down a wormhole and ended up putting in a balanced Scat stroker crank and rods, Racetec pistons with a minor bore enlargement along with a Lunati towing cam. Rebuilt the stock crappy vortec heads as it was an occasional tow rig but was not looking for a high rpm screamer. I had the computer tuned by Wester's Garage out of Alberta Canada as they had high remarks from the GM truck forum members. Computer went back and forth a couple times and it's still not right. I got fed up and stopped dealing with it as I drive a work truck 99.9% of the time. I think it's getting too much fuel. It idles fine, but dies when put into gear. Seems upon restart it is flooded. Driveability is fine, but I think due to the tune it is going though a lot more fuel than it should be as it is getting 7-8mpg unloaded in daily driving duties.

I bought a new to me truck and need to get this one ready to sell. I know it won't pass smog in CA as it sits now (truck is currently registered in WA as that is where I bought the truck and built the motor) and am looking for someone local to me in Menifee/Murietta/Temecula that can do a ride-along tune to get the computer dialed in before I try to smog it for local sale. I have HP Tuners and I know that it can be used to tune this ECM, but I don't know the first thing about tuning.

Thanks,

Evan

BajaMike

Reaction score
With all the modifications you have done, I think it would be hard to diagnose a problem.....but a good mechanic who knows the tuner should be able to figure it out.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I have a kid here that is pretty good with HP Tuners...

He says HP will not work on the set up you have.

Give this guy a call. He Might be able to help you...

https://instagram.com/kpfabandtune?igshid=puhye527wv4x

Thanks for the response. HPTuners says it will, from their supported vehicles list:

98-00 Sierra 5.0, 5.7, 7.4

I was able to do a data log and can connect and monitor the ECM live while driving with my computer and software. Just don't know or care how to learn to tune at this point in my life.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
With all the modifications you have done, I think it would be hard to diagnose a problem.....but a good mechanic who knows the tuner should be able to figure it out.

I'm quite sure its a fueling issue. Either the tuner setup the tune with the incorrect injector info, or I was given the wrong info from the supplier of my injectors. The ECM is constantly trying to pull fuel (fuel trims are negative in the 10-15% range from what I recall). I've read that injectors with the wrong impedance can cause issues. If a ride along tune can't fix it, then I'll start throwing parts at it. No reason to put it on a dyno in my mind, if it was going to blow up due to a bad tune, it would have done so by now!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. HPTuners says it will, from their supported vehicles list:

98-00 Sierra 5.0, 5.7, 7.4

I was able to do a data log and can connect and monitor the ECM live while driving with my computer and software. Just don't know or care how to learn to tune at this point in my life.

Cool.

It's something you have to work with everyday to get good at...

Kinna why we just hired someone! :D

Good luck!